HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The end for Perezhogin?

Old
03-15-2007, 07:34 AM
tiredman

vCash: 500
Perezhogin will be back. Remember last year when we thought Streit would be gone ? Gainey surprised us by signing him in the summer. He will do the same thing with Perez.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 07:42 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Perezhogin va mal

Pas de neuf, cependant, dans le cas d'Alexander Perezhogin, dont les contrecoups de la commotion cérébrale subie le 23 février se prolongent de façon inquiétante. Perezhogin n'a pas repris l'entraînement, on ne l'a pas vu dans l'entourage de l'équipe et il devrait rater, demain, une neuvième partie consécutive.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...006/CPSPORTS01

Translation:

Perezhogin not doing so good

Nothing new with Alex Perezhogin, who still has worrisome after effects that are lasting long from the concussion from the 23rd of february. He has not worked out, we have not seen him around the team, and he should miss a 9th stright game.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:22 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Do you guys think we will see Perezhogin in a Habs jersey ever again? I just can't see Carboneau making a place for him in the remaining weeks.

Maybe they will use him to move up in the draft??
If Alzner is available at say 3-4-5th overall I would deal Perez and San Jose's pick to move up but other than that no sense in moving up

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:24 AM
DCL72

[QUOTE=hototogisu;8505803]I dunno, I kinda like Perezhogin but if we have no place for him we should think about moving him while his value is still relatively high...I would rather Kostitsyn on the top two lines but then, Perezhogin never really got a fair chance on a scoring line consistently (and produced well when he did). I'm kinda torn. I'd see what happens with our defense in the off-season and, depending on who leaves, maybe move Perez in a package to get a solid blue-liner to take the place of Markov/Souray/Rivet.[QUOTE]

Why do people keep looking at Perezhogin as a potential offensive threat? I like the kid, and had high hopes for him, but he's had 34 points in 127 career games. Like Benoit Brunet before him, it appears his future is exactly where they've had him. 3rd line forechecker....

DCL72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:26 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL72 View Post
Why do people keep looking at Perezhogin as a potential offensive threat? I like the kid, and had high hopes for him, but he's had 34 points in 127 career games. Like Benoit Brunet before him, it appears his future is exactly where they've had him. 3rd line forechecker....
Because he's show great offensive flashes during his stay on our bottom two lines. He has a great shot and surely you've seen some of the dekes he can pull off...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Because he's show great offensive flashes during his stay on our bottom two lines. He has a great shot and surely you've seen some of the dekes he can pull off...
Even Donald Brashear has scored highlight reel goals. Until Perezhogin consistently puts up points then I'm not sold on him.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:32 AM
tiredman

Quote:
I agree. He showed some great offensive flashes. If only he could avoid penalties and play with heart all the time, he would never be scratched.

BG must sign him.

Old
03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Even Donald Brashear has scored highlight reel goals. Until Perezhogin consistently puts up points then I'm not sold on him.
I think you should withold your verdict until he gets consistant time on an offensive line. He's stepped up pretty well almost any time he played top six (penalties, of course, excluded).

Old
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
ppil

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
He'll go back home. I can't see him stay here after this season.
It's more the way I see it, Going back to Russia, make more money and be an offensive star or stay with the habs playing defensivly and visiting the press box once in a while...
IMO he got the skills but he lacks of hockey sense probably due to his lack of confidence.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:45 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
It's more the way I see it, Going back to Russia, make more money and be an offensive star or stay with the habs playing defensivly and visiting the press box once in a while...
IMO he got the skills but he lacks of hockey sense probably due to his lack of confidence.
More money in russia ? What are the salaries there ?

Old
03-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

Quote:
I think you should withold your verdict until he gets consistant time on an offensive line. He's stepped up pretty well almost any time he played top six (penalties, of course, excluded).
Perhaps, but I never did understand the hype around him. He's got talent but I've seen a lot of people compare him to Afinoganov, which I think is way offbase. Of course time will tell but if someone asked me right now to bet who would finish with the best career season (highest points in one year) or career numbers between the two, then my answer would be quick.

Old
03-15-2007, 08:51 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Perhaps, but I never did understand the hype around him. He's got talent but I've seen a lot of people compare him to Afinoganov, which I think is way offbase. Of course time will tell but if someone asked me right now to bet who would finish with the best career season (highest points in one year) or career numbers between the two, then my answer would be quick.
Yeah I think Perez projects to an Afinogenov type player in the absolute best-case scenario but I don't see it happening either. Still I think he's better than what we've seen and it could be a mistake to give up on him now.

Old
03-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

A guy like Perezhogin would get at least twice the money he gets here.

And for his shot, it might be a confidence issue, but I can't remember him doing a good accurate shoot on the net.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:58 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
And for his shot, it might be a confidence issue, but I can't remember him doing a good accurate shoot on the net.
Remember when he played the PP with Koivu and Ryder in the Nashville game? He wired that mother practically past Vokoun's ear.

Old
03-15-2007, 09:00 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Wha?

Zhogin has wired a few top-shelf. I remember a 3-on-1 against the Leafs, where he was the trailer, took Lats' pass and whipped it in a corner.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:01 AM
SOLR

We will need players on the 3rd line next year...I expect Perez to be one of those.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

Quote:
Yeah I think Perez projects to an Afinogenov type player in the absolute best-case scenario but I don't see it happening either. Still I think he's better than what we've seen and it could be a mistake to give up on him now.
I'd imagine since we haven't really seen much from him yet. He makes a good play then disappears for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
We will need players on the 3rd line next year...I expect Perez to be one of those.
That's where I like him the most. I think he can be a very effective 3rd liner.

Old
03-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Murder Murray and dress Perezhogin; is it really that hard?
last time i checked, murder was pretty hard, and ilegal too!

but yes, it is early to give up on him, i think he could still become a good player, but he needs to be given a chance on the PP and top 6. if we cannot give him that here, then he might be more valuble in a trade.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:14 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
A guy like Perezhogin would get at least twice the money he gets here.
He gets 627K here and he has to get a 10% raise this summer, so he'll likely make 700K next year I'm guessing. I know that Russian salaries are hard to come by but I would be surprised if he could get 1M, let alone 1.4M although Omsk has a mega rich owner. Guess we'll see this summer if he doesn't come back.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
last time i checked, murder was pretty hard, and ilegal too!

but yes, it is early to give up on him, i think he could still become a good player, but he needs to be given a chance on the PP and top 6. if we cannot give him that here, then he might be more valuble in a trade.
10 guys in the top 6, sounds good.

I don't get why to be a good player, one must get PP time. Are you Zhogy's agent, trying to maximize his salary?

Why can't he play on the 3rd line like he did, and quite well, early in the season?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:38 AM
DCL72

Quote:
I think you missed the word "rare" in your description of his offensive flashes.

He's certainly a NHL player, but I don't think he's shown enough to justify 2nd line ice time. He's got terrific speed, but doesn't get in traffic, and isn't a particularly talented stickhandler (he isn't the easiest to knock off the puck, but he's not the hardest either). He's got a good shot, but he needs time & room to set up. (sounds like Ryder, but without the production)

How best to use his speed given his faults? Forechecker on the 3rd line, which is where I anticipate seeing him for many years to come. If he dedicates himself, he could be our Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby or John Madden. It's not a sexy role, but a necessary one.

As a scoring line player, I don't see any justification for putting him ahead of Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Ryder, Plekanec, Kotsitsyn, or Latendresse, either short or long term. Until he accepts (and dedicates himself) to a role he's more suited for, he'll be in and out of the lineup.

DCL72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 11:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL72 View Post
I think you missed the word "rare" in your description of his offensive flashes.

He's certainly a NHL player, but I don't think he's shown enough to justify 2nd line ice time. He's got terrific speed, but doesn't get in traffic, and isn't a particularly talented stickhandler (he isn't the easiest to knock off the puck, but he's not the hardest either). He's got a good shot, but he needs time & room to set up. (sounds like Ryder, but without the production)

How best to use his speed given his faults? Forechecker on the 3rd line, which is where I anticipate seeing him for many years to come. If he dedicates himself, he could be our Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby or John Madden. It's not a sexy role, but a necessary one.

As a scoring line player, I don't see any justification for putting him ahead of Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Ryder, Plekanec, Kotsitsyn, or Latendresse, either short or long term. Until he accepts (and dedicates himself) to a role he's more suited for, he'll be in and out of the lineup.
I thought "rare" was implied when I used the word "flashes"

I agree with you on pretty much everything - Perezhogin hasn't exactly forced any coach's hand to give him permanent top-six time over anybody else and there currently isn't any room for him to move up in the lineup barring injuries. It's like a glass ceiling. But I wonder how well he'd do if he was allowed to play a more wide-open offensive style on a young team that maybe can afford to play him on a second-line scoring unit...that's why I'm hesitant to give up on him, because I can see him flourishing in that situation. And if he finally does flourish, I want it to be in a Habs jersey

Old
03-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Slick Nick

I found a cool stat on Perez: he never had a nefative +/- season in recent years; +5 last year, +11 with Omsk (lockout year), +19 in RS with Hamilton and +5 in the playoffs, +9 at his last world juniors... so the argumment he's only showing good +/- because he played with Bonk and Johnson doesn't apply IMO..specially when you think that both Bonk an Johnson were in double digits before the line was dismenteled and that now J is at +9 and Bonk at 0.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 11:23 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
With Bonk Johnson UFA there may be room

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Why all the hate for Perezhogin, I can't believe people are suggesting get rid of him. He is a good young player and has shown flashes of brilliance at times, he has pretty good speed. He also leads the team in +/-.

He'll be back.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote