HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 NHL Entry Draft - Selections, Prospects, and Rankings

Old
03-15-2007, 12:56 PM
colman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
He's not even ranked by CSS.
He was on the watch list in oct only his size is keeping him off as of now should be ranked in the last one in April,and out of all the ranked players on the list from the USHL he is ahead of most of them in points some by 35 pts .Lets hope the Devils dont take him like they took his good friend Tony Romano from Smithtown now at Cornell.This would be a good late to mid round pick for the rangers this kid has the N.Y.attitdude that you need to play in the Garden

colman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I'd like to see what all the fuss is about in regards to Kane.
Go check out this link dank:

www.isshockey.com

It's the new ISS website. They have a video of Kane. This is a view through a very small straw, but I think he does not look exceptionaly strong on his skates. Tell me what you think.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 04:01 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by colman View Post
He was on the watch list in oct only his size is keeping him off as of now should be ranked in the last one in April,and out of all the ranked players on the list from the USHL he is ahead of most of them in points some by 35 pts .Lets hope the Devils dont take him like they took his good friend Tony Romano from Smithtown now at Cornell.This would be a good late to mid round pick for the rangers this kid has the N.Y.attitdude that you need to play in the Garden
Like/follow the Bobcats a lot? Alexei is a great coach.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
xander

what's the story on Van Riemsdyk? Seems like a few months ago he was being talked about as a top 3 pick, whle recently the upper echelon seems to inlcude: Kane, Turris, Gagner, Alzner, Cherepanov, and Voracek. Has James fallen a little bit, or am I imaging things?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 06:07 PM
BigE

Prospect Feature: Jakub Voracek

Jakub Voracek

Height: 6'1" Weight: 180lbs
Born: August 15th, 1989
Birthplace: Kladno, Czech Republic, Czechoslovakia
Shoots: Left

Season to date:
Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL) 55GP 22G 58A 80PTS 24PIM

Talent Analysis

Strengths

- Extremely creative playmaker: superb vision & crisp passing
- Slick puckhandling skills that can outright embarass players one-on-one
- Uses his size well to protect the puck and battles hard in the corners; not overly physical though
- Good, but not great top end speed
- Motivated, strong work ethic

Weaknesses

- Footwork needs improving: somewhat slow off the mark, not incredibly agile
- Creativity gets the best of him: at times too many turnovers
- Lacks the shot to become a true well-rounded scoring threat
- Defense still an issue

Future Outlook:

Upside Projection: First-line Winger, Top 5 pick
Timeframe: 2-4 years

Voracek is a player many consider to be this year's "safe" pick; at the very least you're getting a top six forward. If he grows into his frame, improves his skating, and continues to work on his shot he could develop into a bonafide first line winger.

Jakub has still got some work to do and is likely 2-4 years away. He's shown a tremendous amount of progress since the start of the new year as his overall involvement in the play has increased. He's toned the flashiness down, but is still contributing at a steady pace - this is the sign of maturity and an encouraging one at that.

HFNYR Insider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Voracek is perhaps the best "talent" in the 2007 draft. He's passing skills are second to none, his vision and playmaking are already good enough for the NHL despite the fact that he won't yet be 18 till just before training camp.

Jakub has the natural ability to think one or even two steps ahead of the play and when combined with his elite puckhandling ability he transforms into a dangerous game changing player. There are times when it is truly a treat to watch him in action, everything he does with the puck is incredibly smooth and often leaves opposing players to dance around him in a desperate and often futile attempt at stopping him.

However that same natural ability can often lead Voracek into the danger zone when he tries to get a little too pretty and he coughs up the puck. In many ways he resembles a young Alexei Kovalev on the ice, capable of single handidly taking over a game at times and also capable of trying to do too much at other times. However this seems to have more to do with youth and learning to channel abilities than it does to being selfish or unwilling to learn.

Jakub still has some growing to do physcially and as a player. While he certainly has the playmaking ability and vision to play pro hockey next season, it's the complimentary areas that will need to progress in order to provide a smooth transition.

For starters Jakub will need to get physically stronger both in his upper and lower bodies. Upper body strength will be essential to battling stronger, more talented defenseman and improving strength in his lower body to provide greater balance and improved first step quickness.

Voracek is playmaker first and everything else second. He's not going to be huge NHL goal scorer and he's never going to win a Selke, but both of these areas leave large room for impovement. Defense especially is an area that simply must improve as he continues to mature. While it's a fine line between harming a young talent's offensive ability and trying to teach them to play a responsible game, the fact remains that defense is simply not acceptable at present time.

Ultimately Voracek is simply too talented of a player to slip out of the top 5 in the upcoming draft. Like a lot of the 2007 talents, he's going to need time and patience to put the pieces together but the payoff potential is huge. He has the ability and drive to be a very successful first or second line NHL player and could improve his goalscoring numbers with creative linemates.

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmB3FUMSKVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MgJt...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXTo...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEBv...elated&search=

Sources
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10903&hubname=
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=352959
www.eurohockey.net
www.isshockey.com
www.hockeydb.com

Last edited by BigE: 03-18-2007 at 11:51 PM.
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 01:58 PM
colman

Marcou now 6 in the USHL in scoring

colman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
ESPN.com has Mark Seidel's top twenty forwards, defensemen, and goalies listed here. Apologies if this has already been psoted.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
ESPN.com has Mark Seidel's top twenty forwards, defensemen, and goalies listed here. Apologies if this has already been psoted.
Well I didn't see it so i'll say...thanks

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Nich

i REALLY would like to pick up hamill....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
free0717

Is he related to ex ranger #1 draft pick, Dave Gagner?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Is he related to ex ranger #1 draft pick, Dave Gagner?
His son.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 11:28 AM
BigE

Prospect Feature: Kyle Turris

Kyle Turris

Height: 6'0" Weight: 165lbs.
Born: August 14, 1989
Birthplace: New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Shoots: Right

Season to date:
Burnaby Express (BCHL) 53GP 66G 55A 121PTS 83PIM

Talent Analysis

Strengths

- Great skater with suprising speed, agility, and most importantly, escapability!
- Possesses a hockey mind: strong positioning in every zone, 6th sense anticipation
- Highly dynamic with the puck: impressive stickhandling (with speed), creates lots with little
- Tows a sizeable cannon and doesn't hesitate to use it.
- Plays the point on the PP, and also kills penalties.
- Described as a "coaches dream."

Weaknesses

- Strength and mass are clearly Turris' most pressing issues. This kid takes "chicken legs" to the extreme.
- Lack of experience. Turris has yet play against Elite-level competition.
- Untested physical threshold - can he withstand the big, strong, heavy-hitting NHL environment.

Future Outlook:

Upside Projection: First-line Center , Top 3 selection
Timeframe: 3-4 years

As of this moment Turris is currently leading the BCHL playoffs in points with 24 (in just 11 games) and doing it while playing a sickening amount of minutes - 28/game. Rumour has it the Vancouver Giants offered Turris $500,000 to join them for their Memorial Cup drive and he turned it down.
His motivation to play in the NCAA is strong and he'll continue his development at the University of Wisconsin next fall. Wisconsin is reknowned for their training regimen, let alone their hockey program, and many feel he could not have chosen a better destination to build his game at the next
level.

Given Turris' stunning rejection of the Vancouver Giants, one has to wonder if he might not just fulfill his entire four year obligation at Wisconsin. And as we've seen with Jack Johnson there are certain NHL teams that may take exception to this admirable trait of young Mr. Turris.

However, Turris has been blessed with so much natural ability and is such a well-rounded hockey player (that many have compared to the likes of a Joe Sakic) that it's hard to imagine him slipping much past the third selection in this years draft. Word is Philadelphia has a keen interest in making Turris this year's first overall seleciton.

HFNYR Insider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Coming Soon...

Videos
http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/news/20061113.php
- This website will allow you to watch full game webcasts of the World Junior A championships. Turris had a couple of multi-point games here.

Sources
http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/roster...layerID=152823
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...74#post8592974
http://hockeysfuture.com/articles/9115
http://www.hockeywebcasts.com

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Draft Guru

I haven't been to this thread yet...for some reason I have just overlooked it. Saw there was a discussion about the mock draft that I'm involved in over on the mock draft board. I'd be willing to bet good money that the Rangers will take a goaltender somewhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds. The only two young goaltenders we have in the system are Montoya and Holt, and it's clear that Holt will never be NHL material. And with Montoya on the verge of perhaps winning the backup job in the NHL next year, the pipeline is really thin at that position. Jeremy Smith may very well be the best goaltender available in this draft (it's certainly debatable) and I felt it was good value in the 2nd round.

As for the selection of Gagner over Esposito, to me that was an easy decision. If you asked me last year the choice would definitely have been Esposito, but he's had a disappointing season and is certainly slipping in this draft and may fall as far as 15th. Just a year ago he was the probable #1 pick. Our biggest weakness in the system is a legit top line forward, and Gagner is just that.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 01:42 PM
DarthSather99

I agree that a goaltender will be drafted but I believe it may be later in rounds 4-6. Smith will be a first rounder. One player to keep an eye on who I believe has all the attributes that defines the current "Ranger" is Dana Tyrell. The more the Rangers win I believe the more likely he'd be a strong consideration at the mid to bottom half of the first round.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I agree that a goaltender will be drafted but I believe it may be later in rounds 4-6. Smith will be a first rounder. One player to keep an eye on who I believe has all the attributes that defines the current "Ranger" is Dana Tyrell. The more the Rangers win I believe the more likely he'd be a strong consideration at the mid to bottom half of the first round.
That's my man! I've been talking about him forever, wohooo! I compare Tyrell to a slightly more talented Callahan. And you can never have too many of them. And I really don't think position will matter all that much as long as the guys they think are more talented are gone ahead of him. If Tyrell's there, just take him. He's one of those guys that will just make it. And then steadily improve.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I agree that a goaltender will be drafted but I believe it may be later in rounds 4-6. Smith will be a first rounder.
Well then me drafting him in the 2nd round was a steal

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Well then me drafting him in the 2nd round was a steal
I like the player and the pick, but I don't think goalie position at the draft is due or die. Even though the depth after Montoya & Holt is really thin, we can fill spots with free agents for now if our scouts don't consider a goalie as the best available when we pick rounds 1-3.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Ola

I think we can start to take some shots on "bad" attitude guys at this point.

We got great competition among at the farm right now.

If a young kid comes to HFD and finds 6-7 other kids there who are just as good as him and works really hard, he will put in the workethic too. Its not like when we had Brendl and he pretty much where the only kid at camp...

I would atleast investigate kids like Esposito and Aliu for example.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Espo and Aliu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

If a young kid comes to HFD and finds 6-7 other kids there who are just as good as him and works really hard, he will put in the workethic too. Its not like when we had Brendl and he pretty much where the only kid at camp...

Completely agree Ola. Too much talent for both of them, even if they are labaled with a BA. I like the risk factor in both.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Completely agree Ola. Too much talent for both of them, even if they are labaled with a BA. I like the risk factor in both.
This Akim Aliu kid sounds really special on allot of levels.

Born in Nigeria, but raised in Russia. Thats probably pretty tough. I don't really know really how wide spread it is, but Russia defenitly got allot of racist problems. Anson Carter played a game there awhile ago and the homestands comlpetly embarassed themselfs with throwing bananas on the ice ect. I am just speculating, but wouldn't be suprised if he got allot of "anger" in him...

Got NYR as his favorite team!

http://www.windsorspitfires.com/viewcon.php?id=578

Sounds good, though the part about him beeing suspended indefenitly by his team sounds less intruging...

Though love that he got a huge personaly beef with Steve Downie, would be really interesting to see thoose match ups between them and us!

Akim kicking Downies rear in a fight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFMDWuepG7Y

Last edited by Ola: 03-27-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old
03-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Aliu

I knew about the Downie fight and the hazing incident or whatever...but I didn't know the guy's favorite team was the Rangers.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Ola

Quote:
I know Rockström have spent some time in Denmark...

He is in Canal+'s NHL studio from time to time here in Sweden, after a game were our 1st line were great, but Prucha-Cullen-Shanahan really struggled, and there were allot of talk that we didn't have a 2nd line center, Rockström said something like "now I am off to Denmark to scout the future 2nd line center for NYR, they got some kids that looks really good".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Any idea who Christer was talking about Ola?
Pizza, don't know if you remember this question, and Rockström where mostly joking.

But there is a kid from Denmark who kind of fits our mold, he is playing in Sweden right now. Lars Eller got a dad who is in the HHOF (int section) and who have been a coach forever in Europe. Just like Thomas Pöck, who got a dad who is a famous coach here in Europe.

Eller got a tremendous worketic, he got really good speed, is good on the PK and got allot of offense in him.

Old
03-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Nich

maybe he is trying to make sure the rangers could draft him...hence why he left the team shortly after we hit playoff position

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 08:30 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

I agree. We can gamble on a first line or bust type player. We have alot of good young players now. We need one of those dynamic game breaking type players. The only way we'd get a shot at that type player at a young age is if he's got some question mark against him.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers aren't going to go away from their plan of drafting good character kids.Akim Aliu had issues with Steve Downie last season.Had issues at the end of this season.Mike Foligno threw Aliu off the team.Marc Staal and the other vets on Sudbury had to determine whether or not they wanted Aliu back on the team for the playoffs.Mark Siedel who wrote the ESPN.com draft rankings was on Leafs Lunch talking about Aliu and it seems Aliu had other issues in midget hockey

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote