HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Country/Continent Generalizations Not Permitted

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Country/Continent Generalizations Not Permitted

It is time we get rid of these types of posts/threads on our board. We've have allowed these types of posts in the past, but this is not fair to the many, many European posters we have on our board that have to read how certain North Americans don't like their hockey. Hockey is hockey, they shouldn't have to come on the board and defend "hockey" because of the style it is played in their country or by some players. It just leads to pointless arguments that are unnecessary.

If someone want to say "Jagr is so soft!" then that is fine, but the, "Get rid of the euro-trash", "Damn these Europeans and their soft hockey!", stuff is no longer permitted. NO generalizations are tolerated.

Again, calling out player(s) is fine. Calling them Euro-trash, or insulting European hockey as a whole though will not be tolerated.

-SingnBluesOnBroadway, FLYLine88, Melrose_Jr., Draft Guru

Last edited by FLYLine24: 03-15-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old
03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Good Call. I like it.

Obviously here in Ranger land we get to see an amazing mix of European style play and North American style play.

If we were healthy I think we'd really have an interesting balance of the best of both worlds on the ice.

03-14-2007, 11:55 PM
dank

i concur..

Old
03-14-2007, 11:57 PM
GarretJoseph*

thank you.

Old
03-15-2007, 01:27 AM
xander

fly, you are a eurotrash commie pansy!

seriously, it's about time. Does anybody want to go up to Alex Ovechkin and tell him he's soft? Wasn't everybody impressed with Tom Poti's toughness? Players are induviduals, and while trends may emerge, broad classifications are always riddled with holes.

Old
03-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
fly, you are a eurotrash commie pansy!

seriously, it's about time. Does anybody want to go up to Alex Ovechkin and tell him he's soft?
Hes soft, you saw the way that vending machine owned him?

Old
03-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007

Old
03-15-2007, 09:44 AM
in the hall

heres a rule i agree with

Old
03-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Choice

This is stupid. Not because I believe in generalizing about nationalities or europeans, but because it ever had to come to this.

I just hope it never becomes in issue with someone saying something true, or making a validpoint about eur. or NA players and being censored because someone took it the wrong way.

Old
03-15-2007, 10:08 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Hes soft, you saw the way that vending machine owned him?
You see how he owned Crosby?

Old
03-15-2007, 10:10 AM
pld459666

I recall posting a response here.

did something get deleted??

Old
03-15-2007, 10:14 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its kinda sad it has to come to this.
It had to be done, but what a waste of a sticky position IMO.

Old
03-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Nich

Fly, you the bug!!!!

Old
03-15-2007, 11:37 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Its kinda sad it has to come to this.
It had to be done.

Old
03-15-2007, 12:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

I may not agree with the ramblings of some on this board, However I cant agree with this form of censorship.

I understand there are rules we must all adhere to on this board, I understand that.

Old
03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
BigE

I think everyone's got to understand that there is a fine line that needs to be adhered to. It's fine to criticize a player, and even cite his nationality in support of your claim. However, you can't blatantly slag on a player JUST because he's from a certain country.

I'm not sure that anyone would debate that every nationality has their own, unique style of play, but that shouldn't be the only focus when evaluating a player.

As far as I'm concerned, we're all Rangers.

Old
03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
ruckus*

I understand not wanting generalizations and derogatory comments like euro-trash and whatever. But Euro's and North Americans play two different styles of hockey. That's a fact. You can't just say hockey is hockey. That's like saying a zone and man-to-man are the same in basketball, "ohh well it's still basketball". The difference in styles of play is an issue and is something that should be allowed to be discussed as is plays a role in the cohesiveness and style of play of this team. If that's not allowed to be discussed then I think this is wrong. Insulting anyone for any reason of nationality or whatever is unacceptable. But if it's done in an appropriate manner I still feel like this is something that should be allowed to be talked about. Just me though.

Old
03-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
You see how he owned Crosby?
touche

Old
03-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I may not agree with the ramblings of some on this board, However I cant agree with this form of censorship.

I understand there are rules we must all adhere to on this board, I understand that.
Yeah censorship makes me very uncomfortable, and thats why this rubs me the wrong way.

I do agree that a few idiots have been making really stupid posts, referring to an overabundance of europeans as the reason the Rangers are "soft" or whatever. I have personally found these posts offensive. I can't imagine what some of the great european posters we have here, who give us info we cant get anywhere else and have to put lot more effort into following the Rangers than us in the NY area do, think of them.

But what if someone says something like "It's good Henrik won a gold early in his career, so there is less pressure on him and he can focus on winning a cup?" That may be a generalization that there is more pressure on euro players to win in international competition, but its not an inane and moronic statement like "the reason this Ranger team sucks is because there are too many europeans." Where is the line drawn?

I am able to do with those moronic posts what I do with anything on the internet/tv/radio I don't like- I ignore it.

Old
03-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I understand not wanting generalizations and derogatory comments like euro-trash and whatever. But Euro's and North Americans play two different styles of hockey. That's a fact. You can't just say hockey is hockey. That's like saying a zone and man-to-man are the same in basketball, "ohh well it's still basketball". The difference in styles of play is an issue and is something that should be allowed to be discussed as is plays a role in the cohesiveness and style of play of this team. If that's not allowed to be discussed then I think this is wrong. Insulting anyone for any reason of nationality or whatever is unacceptable. But if it's done in an appropriate manner I still feel like this is something that should be allowed to be talked about. Just me though.
Agreed. It undermines the dialogue we have here on hfboards. There can be a reasonable discussion about the difference between european and north american hockey that includes generalizations without being derogatory to one side or the other.

Old
03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Czech Your Math

I don't agree with censorship either. It's only a few posters who can't seem to control their outbursts. They continue to not just criticize players and their styles of play, but insult them as people, insult their place of origin, and do so while repeatedly cursing or making blatantly false or unsupported accusations.

It's one thing to say you dislike the "soft" European style of play, or the lack of shots, etc. It's another to start swearing like a sailor and impersonate an anti-European Klansman.

Would a comment like this be acceptable?:

"Shanahan is a real Fu^@#($* pansy. He's just faking a concussion, because he was in a big slump and couldn't handle the pressure of being in the playoff race. He practically runs the team and I hope they trade his wussy @$$ like they did his minions, Hall and Ward. What a wimp, he only came here because his wife wears the pants in his family. Go back to Canada, you lazy POS, we don't need you or your other cheesehead minions here, ruining this team!"

No, it wouldn't. It's in poor taste and contains baseless accusations. It's a matter of respect and the bounds of taste, not being politically correct or sparing a player's or fan's feelings. There's plenty of ways to express your dislike of a player or coach or team or style, etc. without being a complete jack@$$ about it. Stick to the facts as much as possible and have a bit of class, I think that's all some of us are asking.

Old
03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Stick to the facts as much as possible and have a bit of class, I think that's all some of us are asking.
Understood and agreed. But I think thats different from saying "x statements are not permitted"

Old
03-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Balej20*

I'm not a big fan of censorship...but since I don't participate in the Nationality Generalizations, it doesn't affect me, so I won't piss and moan. So long as people's feelings don't get hurt anymore, that's what's most important...their feelings.

Old
03-15-2007, 07:42 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
This is stupid. Not because I believe in generalizing about nationalities or europeans, but because it ever had to come to this.

I just hope it never becomes in issue with someone saying something true, or making a validpoint about eur. or NA players and being censored because someone took it the wrong way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post

I don't think it's mainly about the styles, you can argue the styles and bring up the strengths and weaknesses of either. The problem is with generalities. Generalities aren't true for everone, hence you can't say something that's a fact that will encompass an entire group. You can't even make generalities about the style of Euros because not all Euros (or NA's for that matter) play the same style. Sundin and AO play the NA style better than 99% of north americans.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you can still complain about Jagr and Euro hockey, but you have to state a fact. You can't blanket the entire culture or region. Just be specific, hence the "Jagr is soft" allowance. Simply saying "Euro hockey sucks" is ignorant and it does nothing to further debate.

Old
03-15-2007, 07:54 PM
zecke26

can i still complain about european hockey since i am one?

at least here in germany hockey is getting tougher or better, the young players learn to play tougher. same thing in switzerland as far as i know. all in all hockey is the same game, no matter where it's played.

but thank you for this new rule. i was a bout time. i knew some people who were really pissed about it.

Closed Thread