HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Preds Talk Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2014, 01:22 AM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleauApologist View Post
Sources are telling me that Tortorella will be the next head coach of the predators.

KIDDING! But now that I've got your attention and you can't turn away like you normally would, what's a realistic offer from San Jose for Shea Weber?

Brent Burns+Joe Pavelski+2014 or 2015 1st...what would Poile say to that?

We do know that Doug Wilson tried to acquire Shea Weber back during the Philly situation, but now, the Sharks need defense more than ever. Is this a realistic offer? I know it would take a lot to get Weber out of Nashville, but this is the type of offer I could see doing it if Weber is traded.

Thoughts?
Since the Preds need offense, do you think Pittsburgh would trade Crosby for Seth Jones, Colin Wilson, and our 2014 1st? realistic?

Old
05-03-2014, 09:01 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Since the Preds need offense, do you think Pittsburgh would trade Crosby for Seth Jones, Colin Wilson, and our 2014 1st? realistic?
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner for POTY.

...oh, wait, these aren't THOSE boards, are they?

Old
05-05-2014, 05:02 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I would think that moving Crosby - not that they would - would require Weber+. We have no one we could put with Jones (or even Josi) to make an attractive deal for Pits, at least not one we'd do.

Old
05-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

OTF = under new management

Old
05-11-2014, 04:10 PM
adsfan

I think that Diaby is the Shea Weber of the future (in 2 or 3 years). If not, then he is the Suter of the future. With a solid D-core, the Preds should be able to concentrate on building up the offense. Salomaki, Watson and Beck can be pieces of that future. Mark Van Guilder could be a #3 NHL center right now for somebody. Calle Jarnkrok should be starting with the Preds this coming season. He is clearly a top AHL player right now and could fit in somewhere in Nashville.

Old
05-11-2014, 04:50 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I think that Diaby is the Shea Weber of the future (in 2 or 3 years). If not, then he is the Suter of the future. With a solid D-core, the Preds should be able to concentrate on building up the offense. Salomaki, Watson and Beck can be pieces of that future. Mark Van Guilder could be a #3 NHL center right now for somebody. Calle Jarnkrok should be starting with the Preds this coming season. He is clearly a top AHL player right now and could fit in somewhere in Nashville.
no offense but Diaby is apparently pretty much a defensive defenseman and is in no way a Weber or a Suter as far as skill set or potential. If he ends up being a solid 3rd pair guy who can keep Weber from having to fight, I'll be satisfied.

Van Guilder is a 30 year old AHL player.. not exactly the guy people will trade for, and certainly not what we need right now.

Beck and Watson are looking more and more like marginal NHL talent, especially beck who has now had a couple of looks without sticking firmly.

None of these guys is the kind of upgrade we need.

Old
05-11-2014, 06:47 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I see Diaby being a better Hal Gill

Old
05-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Diaby sounds great and all, but calling a 3rd rounder less than a year removed from the draft "The next Weber in 2-3 years" is a little bold. Let's see him make an NHL team first.

Old
05-11-2014, 09:14 PM
GeauxPreds

I don't get the Hal Gill Comparison. Diaby is much more athletic. Obviously the next shea weber is a stretch, and diaby has yet to show Weber's offensive touch, but he's a big strong defensive defenseman that has shown at least decent skating ability. Give him some time and he could be a nice unexpected contributor. Watson and Beck are slowly running out of time to make an impact for Nashville though outside of 3rd/4th line depth guys. Maybe one or both of them will see more success under laviolette but I don't think anyone expects them to suddenly turn into top 6 players soon. Beck still has a slim chance at that it would seem.

Old
05-11-2014, 10:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no offense but Diaby is apparently pretty much a defensive defenseman and is in no way a Weber or a Suter as far as skill set or potential. If he ends up being a solid 3rd pair guy who can keep Weber from having to fight, I'll be satisfied.

Van Guilder is a 30 year old AHL player.. not exactly the guy people will trade for, and certainly not what we need right now.

Beck and Watson are looking more and more like marginal NHL talent, especially beck who has now had a couple of looks without sticking firmly.

None of these guys is the kind of upgrade we need.
Diaby put up some great numbers this year for a defensive defenseman.

Old
05-11-2014, 11:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Diaby put up some great numbers this year for a defensive defenseman.
yeah… in juniors….

I need say nothing more than "Jordin Tootoo" to prove that offensive numbers in junior don't necessarily translate in the NHL

Diaby has NHL level talent… and when someone with NHL level talent plays in junior against kids, more than 90% of whom will never sniff the NHL, you can score. But i haven't read anywhere that he is projected as anything more than a physical defenseman, not a puck mover or a scorer.

Talent Analysis by HF

Quote:
First and foremost, there is his size. Diaby is blessed with great natural talents and is a punishing force on the blue line. Not only is he tall, but he has already filled out, which makes the lives of opposing players even more difficult as they try to enter into the offensive zone. He pairs that size with a nasty edge and good skating ability, allowing him to play a physical style without sacrificing positioning. He can make a solid first pass out of the zone, but his game is primarily defense-first.

Old
05-12-2014, 09:41 AM
GeauxPreds

That was written a year ago, and between now and then he could've certainly found an offensive touch. He put up 9 goals and 19 assists in 38 games last season as opposed to 4 goals and 22 assists in 67 games, which is obviously quite a leap, and nothing says that it couldn't develop more going forward. I think he's got a bright future ahead of him personally and although right now he projects as a shut down kind of guy, it looks like he's starting to find his offensive game some. He double his goals and eclipsed his point total from his draft year in about 55% of the games. And that's coming off a long shoulder injury. Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I think he's got a bright future ahead of him if the organization simply takes their time.

Old
05-12-2014, 10:41 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Exactly.

If you're going to critic something I said about a prospects numbers this season, using a scouting report that is 2 years old isn't going to help.

Go back and read Weber's scouting report, then get back to me.

Old
05-12-2014, 11:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You can start here...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ber#post179083
Here's some early ones.
Quote:
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. Brian
You may want to add Shea Weber to the list as this kid will for sure be playing for the Preds in the future. In the scrimmages in camp so far he has shown a major nasty side of his game, making everyone pay that comes near him or the net. In one scrimmage, he laid out three guys with huge hits. He will be the classic steady, tough d-man for many years. Of all the Rockets, most in Kelowna feel he is the automatic one to play NHL some day.
I'll throw him in there as well, though since he isn't an offensive dman, i figured it wouldn't be as important to follow his statistical development (like Klein).
Here's a similar quote I made about Weber on that page..

Quote:
I thought Shea Weber was a stay-at-home guy, those are pretty good numbers for a stay-at-home guy aren't they?

Funny to read some of the negative post regarding our defensive depth in 2003.

Old
05-12-2014, 02:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Exactly.

If you're going to critic something I said about a prospects numbers this season, using a scouting report that is 2 years old isn't going to help.

Go back and read Weber's scouting report, then get back to me.
OK, fine, Diaby is the next Weber…

I'll come back in 10 years and we can discuss how silly this line of discussion was...

Old
05-12-2014, 03:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
OK, fine, Diaby is the next Weber…

I'll come back in 10 years and we can discuss how silly this line of discussion was...
Yes, that's exactly what I said, right.

In their draft years, Klein was an offensive defenseman and Weber was a stay at home guy. My point is, players do change after their draft and not all scouting reports are exact. Not that Diaby will become Weber, but he could develop an offensive game.

Old
05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
RCola88

Why don't we just let Diaby be Diaby and not compare him to Weber? Just like Josi to Suter, yes Josi took Suters spot but he is nothing like Suter. Let the players develop and don't add these comparison expectations, there's no telling where these guys will be a year from now..

That being said, I feel as if Diaby is going to be another defenseman the Preds organization found in the 3rd round who could potentially make a space for himself in the NHL

Old
05-12-2014, 03:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
Why don't we just let Diaby be Diaby and not compare him to Weber? Just like Josi to Suter, yes Josi took Suters spot but he is nothing like Suter. Let the players develop and don't add these comparison expectations, there's no telling where these guys will be a year from now..

That being said, I feel as if Diaby is going to be another defenseman the Preds organization found in the 3rd round who could potentially make a space for himself in the NHL
I agree totally.

I'm excited to see what Diaby becomes, I just don't want to sell him short before he gets here.

I also don't want unreasonable expectations put on him either. I mean let's not expect the kid to become the best defenseman in the game and perennial Norris finalist.

Also agree on Josi and Suter.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:15 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I said, right.

In their draft years, Klein was an offensive defenseman and Weber was a stay at home guy. My point is, players do change after their draft and not all scouting reports are exact. Not that Diaby will become Weber, but he could develop an offensive game.
you're right you didn't say it, but the poster that started this line of discussion did, which is why I said it…

and I will concede that if Diaby comes in with Laviolette still here he certainly could have some offensive production just from the nature of the system.

Old
05-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Shero fired in Pittsburgh.

NOW is the time! FIRE POILE NOW!!!!!!

Old
05-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Shero fired in Pittsburgh.

NOW is the time! FIRE POILE NOW!!!!!!
I'd much rather have Botterill

Old
05-16-2014, 10:55 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
[QUOTE=Roman Yoshi;85224459]Shero fired in Pittsburgh.

NOW is the time! FIRE POILE NOW!!!!!![/QUOT

You know, I can see Bylsma, but Shero? Does anyone think he didn't give DB enough talent and the right talent to win? Not make the deals necessary to fill holes? I guess the O cost DB and MAF cost Shero? Of course, Mario knows a bit more about hockey than most of us......

Or maybe it was Queen Whiny Cindy herself, complaining to Mario how he just didn't have the D to rely upon and how the bigger boys were mean to him on the ice, checking him and not letting him skate and score.

Old
05-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Bold, proactive move by Pitt ownership. Shero is one of the most overrated GMs in the league.

Old
05-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Bold, proactive move by Pitt ownership. Shero is one of the most overrated GMs in the league.
It's tough to say. He's tried a lot of different pieces on that roster, and gone quite a few different routes to try bringing in the right pieces: drafting, UFA, deadline trades, trading younger roster players. I think he made some poor moves, but having two of the best players in the world give you some margin for error in taking risks. Ultimately, he's a Cup winner, though how much of that is his doing versus what he managed to inherit is difficult to say. His next stop will be pretty revealing as to how good a GM he really is...though I'm not really eager for that to be here.

Old
05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
It's tough to say. He's tried a lot of different pieces on that roster, and gone quite a few different routes to try bringing in the right pieces: drafting, UFA, deadline trades, trading younger roster players. I think he made some poor moves, but having two of the best players in the world give you some margin for error in taking risks. Ultimately, he's a Cup winner, though how much of that is his doing versus what he managed to inherit is difficult to say. His next stop will be pretty revealing as to how good a GM he really is...though I'm not really eager for that to be here.
He literally inherited two of the best players in the game, he was brought in '06 ... Crosby (8.7 x 12) was drafted 1 year earlier and Malkin (9.5 x 8 years) 2 years before he got there, re-signed MAF 7 years-35 mil, Letang 8 year-58 mil

Closed Thread