HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Country/Continent Generalizations Not Permitted

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Respect the Fly guy he is one of us and asked us to not bash. Listen to him or deal with me a Big tuff North American enforcer type

Old
03-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
If someone want to say "Jagr is so soft!" then that is fine, but the, "Get rid of the euro-trash", "Damn these Europeans and their soft hockey!", stuff is no longer permitted. NO generalizations aren't tolerated.
I hate to be a stickler for details, but you might want to revise this sentence or else people might use it against you...

As far as censorship is concerned, I never thought I would see the day when an internet message board would be censored. While I can see the merit of having ground rules in place, I feel like rules such as these seriously undermine what makes the web so great.

Moderators are meant to be traffic cops - you are here to close/redirect threads that are repetitive/superfluous/whatever with the hope of maintaining bandwidth. You are not the FCC (not that I would be willing to bow to you even if you were).

Words are words, and if you are seriously "hurt" or bothered by the inane ramblings of what are most likely high school students posted on internet message boards, then I truely feel bad for you.

Old
03-15-2007, 07:44 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
I hate to be a stickler for details, but you might want to revise this sentence or else people might use it against you...

As far as censorship is concerned, I never thought I would see the day when an internet message board would be censored. While I can see the merit of having ground rules in place, I feel like rules such as these seriously undermine what makes the web so great.

Moderators are meant to be traffic cops - you are here to close/redirect threads that are repetitive/superfluous/whatever with the hope of maintaining bandwidth. You are not the FCC (not that I would be willing to bow to you even if you were).

Words are words, and if you are seriously "hurt" or bothered by the inane ramblings of what are most likely high school students posted on internet message boards, then I truely feel bad for you.
I agree with this statement. Now with this crackdown on generalizations, any time a person posts saying how he doesnt like the European pass-happy style of hockey everyone is going to be begging the mods to slam the guy.

Old
03-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I don't think it's mainly about the styles, you can argue the styles and bring up the strengths and weaknesses of either. The problem is with generalities. Generalities aren't true for everone, hence you can't say something that's a fact that will encompass an entire group. You can't even make generalities about the style of Euros because not all Euros (or NA's for that matter) play the same style. Sundin and AO play the NA style better than 99% of north americans.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you can still complain about Jagr and Euro hockey, but you have to state a fact. You can't blanket the entire culture or region. Just be specific, hence the "Jagr is soft" allowance. Simply saying "Euro hockey sucks" is ignorant and it does nothing to further debate.
To use an example I already used, what if someone says "there is more pressure on european players to win international tournaments than american players"

Old
03-15-2007, 08:02 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
To use an example I already used, what if someone says "there is more pressure on european players to win international tournaments than american players"
Obviously there will be discretion, mainly toward the anti comments.

Some of you are making this out bigger then it is, all we're asking is to be more direct about a player instead of basing it at a entire country.

This is really not much different then saying "Damn I hate Islander fans because they don't know their hockey", that was never tolerated and this is no different, "Damn I hate Europeans because of their soft style" just rephrase it, "Damn I hate Jagr, Nylander (etc), because of their soft style" and its fine.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 03-15-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old
03-15-2007, 11:03 PM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
I also feel that that this is a bit extreme.

I agree that an offensive tone-type Euro Bashing has no place on a message board. However, as was stated previously, there is a difference between NA and Euro type play. There are obviously individuals who break that mold, i.e. Ovechkin. However, if you watch the SEL or Russian SuperLiga, the difference is blatant.

If we had a team that was hard-nosed, physical and oversized, but had no one who possessed the patience to find the extra pass--saying we need a more Euro-type player would probably not be construed as offensive.

Also, North American style hockey--which is premised on a more North-South mentality, compared to Euro Style which is (usually) more premised on an East-West mentality--are completely different approaches to the game. This does not imply that there cannot be a healthy coexistence of both.

I think that this form of censorship, at least the guidelines under which it operates in FLY's thread, is rather dangerous. It severely limits otherwise innocuous discourse about a certain style and mentality of hockey that some wish the team to adapt, which is void of jingoistic slander.

FLY, as you have originally posted these guidlines I personally think it would be best for you refine the guidelines of the new policy on "euro-bashing". I see from some of your responses to the apprehensive posts on thee new rules that you by no means want to limit what can be constructive discourse. I think it would be optimal if the intitial guidlines were revamped to a greater specificity. Then, Euro-Bashing would be outlawed, and constructive commentary on a variance in hockey style would be permitted.

I know I have not posted often on these boards; however, I am an avid reader. To see potential for such censorship on, what I believe to be, a great forum for hockey discourse would be a shame. This post is not meant to be critical, I agree with the overall idea. However, I think it could be framed to a greater specificity.

Old
03-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I understand not wanting generalizations and derogatory comments like euro-trash and whatever. But Euro's and North Americans play two different styles of hockey. That's a fact. You can't just say hockey is hockey. That's like saying a zone and man-to-man are the same in basketball, "ohh well it's still basketball". The difference in styles of play is an issue and is something that should be allowed to be discussed as is plays a role in the cohesiveness and style of play of this team. If that's not allowed to be discussed then I think this is wrong. Insulting anyone for any reason of nationality or whatever is unacceptable. But if it's done in an appropriate manner I still feel like this is something that should be allowed to be talked about. Just me though.
Exactly, they play different styles of hockey. You can't generalize and say "every European plays a certain way" but you CAN generalize and say "the European style of hockey is softer than the N.A. style, and I believe thats ultimately not going to be one that is successful for the NYR." And of course, you can say the opposite. But the style of play in Europe is totally different that in North America, and that should be a matter of discussion.

Whats wrong is A) people saying Euro-trash and derogatory things or B) people saying your a racist for liking the North American style better (which is just plain ridiculous).

I dont even understand on what grounds we are censoring this. Its because of European users? Probably 90% of this board is of European ethnicities, whether they live in NA or across the seas. Saying you think North American hockey over European hockey and making generalizations about it is the SAME as saying you like Anaheim Duck hockey over Detroit Red Wing hockey.

Old
03-15-2007, 11:14 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Respect the Fly guy he is one of us and asked us to not bash. Listen to him or deal with me a Big tuff North American enforcer type

This gave me a chuckle, dagoon.

Old
03-15-2007, 11:37 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Obviously there will be discretion, mainly toward the anti comments.

Some of you are making this out bigger then it is, all we're asking is to be more direct about a player instead of basing it at a entire country.

This is really not much different then saying "Damn I hate Islander fans because they don't know their hockey", that was never tolerated and this is no different, "Damn I hate Europeans because of their soft style" just rephrase it, "Damn I hate Jagr, Nylander (etc), because of their soft style" and its fine.
Most people seem to agree that this **** needs to be eliminated from the forum; however, all the fuss seems to be a result of the way it was handled.

It's generally understood that you're a rook, but you might have phrased things a little better.

Now you're going to face the difficulty of enforcing a policy which is so wishy-washy that nothing's really going to come of all this. Handing out warning points to the frequent or excessive offenders would have likely sufficed - that is, after all, what the points are there for. There wasn't really a need to lecture or penalize the entire board.

It's a learning process, though. Hang in there.

Old
03-16-2007, 05:45 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post

This gave me a chuckle, dagoon.
If you only knew......that guy is on my ignore list for exactly what this thread is about , and some other sorry crap.

Last edited by bleedrngrblue: 03-16-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old
03-16-2007, 05:55 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Most people seem to agree that this **** needs to be eliminated from the forum; however, all the fuss seems to be a result of the way it was handled.

It's generally understood that you're a rook, but you might have phrased things a little better.

Now you're going to face the difficulty of enforcing a policy which is so wishy-washy that nothing's really going to come of all this. Handing out warning points to the frequent or excessive offenders would have likely sufficed - that is, after all, what the points are there for. There wasn't really a need to lecture or penalize the entire board.

It's a learning process, though. Hang in there.
i dont really think its wishy-washy.
just stick to the rule and stop bashing players because of their heritage.
ive said it in the last game thread. criticize players for their play, but dont criticize them because they were born in a different part of this world. its actually not very hard to understand.

there are 4 guys on my ignorelist because they have been very hostile towards anything european.. ironically, one of these guys posted into this thread acting as if this has nothing to do with him and as if hes the biggest "euro"-lover there is.
now thats funny, and before you ask why im able to see his post despite having him on my ignorelist. unfortunately quotes arent blacked out when you ignore someone.. thats why.

Last edited by MrAlfie: 03-16-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old
03-16-2007, 07:04 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Hmmm
Living in Iceland makes things a bit confusing as half of the country is NA and half is Europe. The North American + European continental plates actually literally go through where i live - making it difficult for me to decide whether I should bash Nylanders Euro-ballerina antics or Mara´s stupido NA-lumberjackish goaltender interference for the latest loss against Pitt.
I guess I should instead bash all the Asians, Africans, South Americans, Australians, Micronesians and all the penguines and mad scientists in Antarctica for not contributing to The Rangers season this year . And the aliens
Have a nice day - and end it with a win in Atlanta.

Old
03-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Screaming Banshee

If you would like my son can beat up anyone who doesn't adhere to the rules. THe "Lil Enforcer" is Canadian but has Irish citizenship so he won't be predjuice.

Last edited by Screaming Banshee: 03-17-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old
03-16-2007, 09:30 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Banshee View Post
If you would like my son can beat up anyone who doesn't adhere to the rules. THe "Lil Enforcer" is Canadian but has Irish citizenship so he won't be predjuice.
That lil guy is adorable!

Old
03-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Screaming Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
That lil guy is adorable!
Thanks, he looks adorable there but he has his moments--especially when he's been pounding the pints back. lol

Old
03-16-2007, 12:33 PM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
This is stupid. No one on this site is talking about actual people when they say "Euros suck". They're referring to a style of play, and we all know that.

Yet if I said that America sucks, it probably wouldn't be given another thought...

Old
03-16-2007, 12:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
At the risk of sounding like a bad parent: this is not up for debate. The generalizations need to stop.

To the point of censorship: this is private board. You chose to agree to terms in order to post here. Again, that was your choice. Nobody is forcing you to post here. If this board is not to your liking, please feel free to go somewhere else.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 03-16-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Closed Thread