HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey's Future 11-50 Top Prospects

Old
03-15-2007, 11:55 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

vCash: 500
lol montoya better then bobby ryan...

guys would you trade montoya for bobby ryan?

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 11:58 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post

nope. Not that I don't like Ryan, but I have more questions about him making the jump to the NHL than I do about Montoya. I'm not trading montoya unless I'm getting an established young player with alot of upside. Chances are that neither Monty or Lundqvist gets moved until Al has proved himself at the NHL level and the brass decides who they want to keep. They will also get a better return if they wait.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 12:02 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
nope. Not that I don't like Ryan, but I have more questions about him making the jump to the NHL than I do about Montoya. I'm not trading montoya unless I'm getting an established young player with alot of upside. Chances are that neither Monty or Lundqvist gets moved until Al has proved himself at the NHL level and the brass decides who they want to keep. They will also get a better return if they wait.
i really feel montoya will be put into a situation where he will end up like a luongo, but itll be tough for us to keep him because we have our Roy in lundqvist

roy > luongo

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 12:08 AM
xander

woah, you realize that you just compared Lundqvist and Monty to one of the greats of all time and the best goalie under 30 in the game today (probably the best after Marty)?

Lets back that up just a bit.

Personally I think this situation is very similar to what we had in Beezer/Richter. I doubt this is lost on the brass either, they will most likely wait to see both play in the NHL before they make a decision, and I won't be shocked if Montoya ends up winning out (that's not a prediction! but I think it's a greater possibility than many think.)

Old
03-16-2007, 05:33 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Nah...I'm holding out hope for Nathan Horton.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 05:45 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

Doesn't matter what we would do. We have a great #1 goalie for years and years with Lundqvist.

If we didn't have Lundqvist I would never in a million years trade Montoya for Ryan.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 05:59 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
woah, you realize that you just compared Lundqvist and Monty to one of the greats of all time and the best goalie under 30 in the game today (probably the best after Marty)?

Lets back that up just a bit.

Personally I think this situation is very similar to what we had in Beezer/Richter. I doubt this is lost on the brass either, they will most likely wait to see both play in the NHL before they make a decision, and I won't be shocked if Montoya ends up winning out (that's not a prediction! but I think it's a greater possibility than many think.)
I think that is a terrific comparison and assesment. I also think you might be on to something with Montoya...he has steadily improved.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 07:48 AM
dank

I completely agree with the thoughts about Montoya. No one gives him a chance and I'm glad he's high and higher than Staal (partially). About Staal his lack of movement (to A or NHL) even though he couldn't because of his age, somewhat stalled his development. I know that the situation wasn't ideal and I doubt and hope it didn't stunt his growth but I could see why he's not higher and I'm fine with that. Plus 13 is my lucky number.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 09:36 AM
chosen

Quote:
No matter how long you wait with goalies they fetch very little in comparison to what forwards and defensemen fetch. People seem to think we're going to get a Crosby type for one of our goalies. Established talents at forward and defenseman just never seem to come as a return for a goalie. You might get a nice young player. You might not.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 01:41 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
No matter how long you wait with goalies they fetch very little in comparison to what forwards and defensemen fetch. People seem to think we're going to get a Crosby type for one of our goalies. Established talents at forward and defenseman just never seem to come as a return for a goalie. You might get a nice young player. You might not.
your timing is uncanny, it's been almost a year to the day since we had our first argument about this. Although you seem to have changed your opinion somewhat.

Hypothetically, if Montoya won out and the Rangers put Lundqvist on the block, you don't think there would be some serious offers?

Crosby type? You meen a generational talent leading the league in scoring at the age of 19? I don't think anyone is expecting that, or anything close to that, but a good young players is entirely reasonable. Wait a year or two, let them develop, make a decision and then see what offers are out there.

Florida will have a number of good young forwards at that point (Horton, Frolik, Olesz) and may not have filled they're void in net yet. Will Schwarz pan out in St. Louis? If not, would JD be interested in dealing a chip or two to set himself in net for next 10 years?

There will be teams interested if Montoya develops the way we think/hope he will. Are we going to get an elite 19-22 year old player? no. A good young player that will help build the team? I don't see why not. Either way, there's no reason to trade Montoya now, might as well lt him develop and make the most informed possible choice.

Note: when I say I'm not trading Montoya unless I'm getting a good young player with alot of upside in return, I meen at this moment. As far as I'm concerned, while Montoya has less value rigtht now then he will if he establishes himself in the NHL, it's actually more costly to the Rangers to trade him now because they would be giving up the chance to decide who they like better (him or lundy.) Thus, where I the brass, I would have to be blown out of the water to trade Montoya now, while a year or two down the line I would probably just accept the best offer out there for Lundqvist/Montoya, after I'd made my decision.

Last edited by xander: 03-16-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old
03-16-2007, 02:09 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Didn't see it before and I don't see it now.
Montoya playing AHL all star pro hockey for 2 years, Staal has not; I think good call.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote