Upcoming Draft

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 02:00 AM
Bandwagoner

vCash: 500
Upcoming Draft

Hey all,

I'm just wondering what every feels Sutter and the rest of the Flames scouting staff will concentrate on in the early rounds of the upcoming draft. I feel with Phaneuf, Ramholt, Regehr and Commodore they don't really seem to be needing anymore young defensemen. So what should we look for, or will it end up just being the best player available at the time?

Old
02-11-2004, 02:24 AM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
Basically just the best available at the time I'd say, but I don't think the Flames could ever have too many skilled, smart forwards. Or big, strong defensemen, for that matter. Goalie probably isn't at the top of our list.

Another good left-winger wouldn't hurt (Lowry is old, Oliwa is just a goon, and Sonnenberg, Green, Loyns and Saprykin are still fairly young) but I think the decisions will mostly be based on the kinds of trades we decide to make (if any) come trade deadline time.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Zhackpot

Flames need more skill up front. That is first and foremost a priority.

Flames will still draft defencemen to replace those they can no longer afford to pay in the future. With the future of the CBA unclear I think you have to approach the draft keeping the current economic system in mind and that would make guys like Gauthier too expensive to keep and they will need to be replaced.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a goalie fairly high. As it was recently proven that the depth at that position isn't that great.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Hitman*

Sutter isn't a guy who takes the best player available. He takes players that he likes and that will fit in with his team. For example, if Phaneuf, Coburn and Suter had all been taken before the Flames picked at the draft, he would have drafted Mike Richards at #9.

I think he'll go after a big forward. Those are the players he likes. In the 2nd round we could take a stab at a goalie if a good one is available. This draft is similar to 2002 in the number of quality goalies available. A defenseman is definitely not at the top of the list and I'd be suprised to see us take another with our first few picks.

Once again, mostly CHL players will be chosen. Might be the odd Euro and college player but size and toughness is the key. That's the way Darryl drafts.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:56 AM
HuskyFlames

I think he will pickup a big winger in the first round and a goalie in the second round. I personally don't like our goalies in the minor and don't think any can be #1 starters in the NHL.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT
Basically just the best available at the time I'd say, but I don't think the Flames could ever have too many skilled, smart forwards. Or big, strong defensemen, for that matter. Goalie probably isn't at the top of our list.

Another good left-winger wouldn't hurt (Lowry is old, Oliwa is just a goon, and Sonnenberg, Green, Loyns and Saprykin are still fairly young) but I think the decisions will mostly be based on the kinds of trades we decide to make (if any) come trade deadline time.
Last year Sutter addressed a weakness in the system (defensemen). At this point our biggest weakness IMO is the lack of a big playmaking centremen and a big powerforward winger. I think Sutter would love to grab either with our first round pick this year if at all possible.

Green and Sonnenberg aren't that young, I wouldn't expect much improvement there and I personally don't see either of them developing into full time NHLers with the Flames. I think that Sutter is concerned about our depth at LW. Gelinas will be gone soon and McAmmond IMO could stay at centre potentially. Nystrom is our best prospect at LW but I could see Sutter wanting to add another.

If I had to make a prediction now I'd say a big LW powerforward or a big playmaking centre.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames
I think he will pickup a big winger in the first round and a goalie in the second round. I personally don't like our goalies in the minor and don't think any can be #1 starters in the NHL.
Disagree. I think Krahn has the upside to be a starter in a few years. He's got Turek's size but better technique and effort. I think he's our goalie of the future.

Medvedev is a wildcard, I wouldn't count on him but he certainly has a big upside.

I'm not totally sold on Sabourin but he's a decent prospect. Good size and plays the butterfly style.

The Flames seem to be quite high on 6'2 Curtis McElhinney. Haven't seen him enough to comment.

6'2 Davis Parley was just signed and adds even more depth.

With a 1st rounder (Krahn), 2nd rounder (Medvedev), 4th rounder (Sabourin), 6th rounder (McElhinney) and a FA signee (Parley) I think we have enough depth there. I don't think a goaltender will be a priority at all. It would surprise me if one was taken in the top 2 rounds.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:13 AM
HuskyFlames

I have seen Krahn play and he's average, nothing stellar. In real life he has a huge ego and thinks hes god in net. Also, with his super young knee injury problems I wouldn't be putting all the Flames eggs into 1 basket. If this years draft is full of excellent goalies, might as well snag one up in a 2-4 round department.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I have seen Krahn play and he's average, nothing stellar.
And everytime I've seen him he's been outstanding.

As for ego, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing in a goalie. It seems to me that some of the best goaltenders lately have been some of the most egotistical, cockiest guys out there. I'm talking of the Roy's, the Hasek's, etc. But Krahn doesn't strike me as the most egotistical guy out there from interviews.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 02-11-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old
02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Puckz

It'd be nice to see Andrew Ladd fall to the Flames... Yes he is ranked 2nd in North American skaters however the consensus is that he will fall to the middle of the round 12-18th overall... depending on where the Flames pick it'd give them a local guy, him playing on the Hitmen and all.

Old
02-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Ozy_Flame

The Flames will draft a centerman as their first priority. There is no doubt in my mind. Who's our best pivot prospect right now, Matthew Lombardi? Yes, we seriously need help at that position. And don't give me the Trubachev and Taratukhin doldrums. I'm talking about a scoring centerman with size.

Old
02-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Red Bull

Quote:
I have seen Krahn play and he's average, nothing stellar. In real life he has a huge ego and thinks hes god in net. Also, with his super young knee injury problems I wouldn't be putting all the Flames eggs into 1 basket. If this years draft is full of excellent goalies, might as well snag one up in a 2-4 round department.
He WILL be a good goalie in the NHL I guarantee it. Remember, the only reason he's not rated up there with the likes of Miller, DiPietro, Lehtonen is because of his injuries which clearly aren't giving him trouble this year.

Old
02-11-2004, 05:26 PM
kruezer

I hope Ladd is around, or even perhaps Bickell, but thats a bit of a reach, McGrath could be a reach as well as he seems to be dropping quick. I'd like Adam Pineault personally, but its doubtful he opts in.

Do they have a second? Was the Kipper trade for this year's or next year's?

In the third I wouldn't mind if they picked Cory Schneider the goalie if he's still hanging around. He would have plenty of time to develop.

Old
02-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Do they have a second? Was the Kipper trade for this year's or next year's?
We have a second. The pick in the Kiprusoff deal was for 2005.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Stifler

I agree with the idea that Sutter won't pick the best player available BUT the best player for the Flames that is available. The player that he feels will best suit his system.

Sort of like Minnesota picking Brent Burns last year. Not the best player still on the board at that point BUT the best player for thier organization.

Old
02-12-2004, 12:43 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
We have a second. The pick in the Kiprusoff deal was for 2005.
Hey thanks, thats solid then.

Old
02-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
And everytime I've seen him he's been outstanding.

As for ego, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing in a goalie. It seems to me that some of the best goaltenders lately have been some of the most egotistical, cockiest guys out there. I'm talking of the Roy's, the Hasek's, etc. But Krahn doesn't strike me as the most egotistical guy out there from interviews.

Time will tell.

Ego's can also destroy a goalie. Trevor Kidd may have had a bigger ego than any goalie to ever come out of the WHL and look what happend to him.

Old
02-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
Trevor Kidd may have had a bigger ego than any goalie to ever come out of the WHL and look what happend to him.
Kidd got drafted ahead of Martin Brodeur. Hindsight is 20/20...but geeze.

Old
02-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Kidd got drafted ahead of Martin Brodeur. Hindsight is 20/20...but geeze.

My comment didn't have anything to do with his ability, at the time he was drafted many analysts didn't think the drafting of Kidd was a bad move given his junior career. But the ego and baggage he brought to the Flames the minute they drafted him was something else.

Closed Thread