HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Daniel Briere #48

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2014, 11:12 AM
  #201
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score
 
MoldyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 7,568
vCash: 500
He actually got back on defense after his own turnover and snuff out a potential scoring chance from Stamkos. Can't count on him doing that all the time, but thankfully, he did so this time.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 10:56 PM
  #202
Bryson
Registered User
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Just about every of Bergevin's acquisition's making him look like a genius!

1g-1a with 8 minutes of icetime. WoW! Keep it up Danny boy!


Bryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 11:35 PM
  #203
Alfie Turcotte
Registered User
 
Alfie Turcotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 477
vCash: 500
Pure clutch !

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 11:38 PM
  #204
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,822
vCash: 500
Worth every penny. This is why we got Briere.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 11:41 PM
  #205
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,449
vCash: 500
Seriously. You can joke about it, but he somehow does it every damn time. Make no sense but he has the magic.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:13 AM
  #206
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
CORSI!!! IT'S ALL ABOUT CORSI AND FENWICK!!!

This guy is a gamer. He turns it on when the game is on the line. Where are those who mocked his acquisition this summer now?

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:18 AM
  #207
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,603
vCash: 500
You just know Briere is boiling on the bench with so little time on ice...

Which is why he goes out flying when he finally gets to jump on it

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:21 AM
  #208
JtotheC
Registered User
 
JtotheC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
The little guy is clutch. Playoffs performer. He may not produce everytime he is on the ice but he always find a way to come up big when it matters and his stats shows that.

I'm one of the few that opposes the idea of getting rid of him in the off-season. We need to continue adding assets, not getting rid of them. Most teams in the league would want a playoff performer in Briere and we are lucky to have him.

JtotheC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:36 AM
  #209
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheC View Post
The little guy is clutch. Playoffs performer. He may not produce everytime he is on the ice but he always find a way to come up big when it matters and his stats shows that.

I'm one of the few that opposes the idea of getting rid of him in the off-season. We need to continue adding assets, not getting rid of them. Most teams in the league would want a playoff performer in Briere and we are lucky to have him.
1 goal and 1 assist in game 7. Briere is really cluth in the playoff.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:36 AM
  #210
Quagmier
Registered User
 
Quagmier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Just about every of Bergevin's acquisition's making him look like a genius!

1g-1a with 8 minutes of icetime. WoW! Keep it up Danny boy!

I am going to disagree with the bolded, not because I think Bergevin is a bad GM (I have been a fan since day 1) but because if you call him a genius for every move he makes that pans out, you can also call him a failure for every move that doesn't. I don't either is appropriate.

Bergevin has done a fantastic, fantastic job with this team, and yes the majority of his moves this season continue to pay dividends in the playoffs, but there have also been a few (Bouillon and Murray in particular) that haven't. And while Briere continues to be clutch in the playoffs, he also is being paid 4 mil and had 8 minutes of icetime on the 4th line. Again, that's not really a negative, and I would have paid Briere 4 million just for his 2 points in game 7 alone, but i can't imagine that's the only reason Bergevin brought him into the fold in Montreal.

I have been a strong advocate for evaluating Bergevin over a 5 year span in order to get a proper gauge on his tenure, and so far i think things are looking great. The Habs are a deeper organization in all areas than before he took the reigns, the players seem to respect and like him, and most importantly he has not sacrificed the team's future for short term success. The habs are winning right now with guys who should be on this team for years to come!

But I will stop raining on this parade. How freakin' good has that 4th line been???? To me, it started when Weise, Bournival and White played together in the regular season, and suddenly it became clear that the Habs had speed throughout the lineup. Since then our 4th line (and our 3rd D pairing) has been most effective when made up of guys who can outskate the other team's 4th line, and Briere, Weise and Prust did EXACTLY that last night.

There is no reason for those guys (and possibly White, Bournival or even Galchenyuk if he needs time to get back to game speed) to not keep it up against the Rangers.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:43 AM
  #211
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 500
I'm not gonna lie, I didn't like the signing when it happened. I didn't like the way Briere was playing before his concussion against Nashville and was sort of glad that he wouldn't be in the line-up at that point because he was dragging the team's offense down. But after he came back and was undeservedly treaten by MT, he started growing on me. I'm happy to eat crow right now. He's made some important plays that were solid hockey plays (Weise's goals) and has deserved his paycheck this year.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:45 AM
  #212
LaTenderness
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
I said it the second we got him and ill say it again..... I ****in love little Danny Brière

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:26 PM
  #213
GeorgeLebay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Laval
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Cool vid

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...618275&lang=en

GeorgeLebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:27 PM
  #214
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup
 
Rapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Poison pure Poison

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:30 PM
  #215
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLebay View Post
That's awesome. Very classy. Thornton, Bergeron and Paille all very classy players. Respect

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 03:19 PM
  #216
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,603
vCash: 500
I personally believe the genius is Therrien for putting Briere on the 4th.

He's opportunistic, fast and gives his 100%. He's also a damned skilled centre that can make less-than-stellar wingers produce.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 03:37 PM
  #217
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseOllini View Post
That's awesome. Very classy. Thornton, Bergeron and Paille all very classy players. Respect

Uhhh... ...... what? Thornton classy?

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:20 PM
  #218
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I personally believe the genius is Therrien for putting Briere on the 4th.

He's opportunistic, fast and gives his 100%. He's also a damned skilled centre that can make less-than-stellar wingers produce.
I don't think White has the vision to make that pass to Weise for the goal. I think Briere will be great against the Rangers.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 08:25 AM
  #219
Bryson
Registered User
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I am going to disagree with the bolded, not because I think Bergevin is a bad GM (I have been a fan since day 1) but because if you call him a genius for every move he makes that pans out, you can also call him a failure for every move that doesn't. I don't either is appropriate.

Bergevin has done a fantastic, fantastic job with this team, and yes the majority of his moves this season continue to pay dividends in the playoffs, but there have also been a few (Bouillon and Murray in particular) that haven't. And while Briere continues to be clutch in the playoffs, he also is being paid 4 mil and had 8 minutes of icetime on the 4th line. Again, that's not really a negative, and I would have paid Briere 4 million just for his 2 points in game 7 alone, but i can't imagine that's the only reason Bergevin brought him into the fold in Montreal.

I have been a strong advocate for evaluating Bergevin over a 5 year span in order to get a proper gauge on his tenure, and so far i think things are looking great. The Habs are a deeper organization in all areas than before he took the reigns, the players seem to respect and like him, and most importantly he has not sacrificed the team's future for short term success. The habs are winning right now with guys who should be on this team for years to come!

But I will stop raining on this parade. How freakin' good has that 4th line been???? To me, it started when Weise, Bournival and White played together in the regular season, and suddenly it became clear that the Habs had speed throughout the lineup. Since then our 4th line (and our 3rd D pairing) has been most effective when made up of guys who can outskate the other team's 4th line, and Briere, Weise and Prust did EXACTLY that last night.

There is no reason for those guys (and possibly White, Bournival or even Galchenyuk if he needs time to get back to game speed) to not keep it up against the Rangers.
Sorry for the late reply, have been so busy haven't even had time to post recently.

Why did we lose last year? Easy, lack of depth. Bergevin went out and got us a 40 goal scorer, Weise is playing like a 40 goal scorer, Weaver has been pivotal in solidifying our 3rd pairing and was out on the ice at the end of game 7, our 8 minute per game center has more points than our other 20 minute/game center. It could be very easy for Briere to just sit back and collect a paycheck after the way he was treated this year but he's been nothing but a consummate professional. All this without giving up any major assets or sacrificing the future of the team. I take these kinds of deals all day, every day!

Boullon and Murray are cheap depth signings that will be off the books next year. It's not Bergevin's fault that Bouillon was on the PP or on the first pairing along side Subban or that Murray was in the lineup on the road vs Boston when we had better options. That's on Therrien. MB has made enough moves that he can say this is his team instead of just one that he inherited from BG/PG and from what I've seen so far the habs are in good hands!

Bryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 08:33 AM
  #220
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup
 
Rapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
How do you think his team mates feel about having The Black Widow sitting at the end of the bench?

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 09:07 AM
  #221
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 18,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
You just know Briere is boiling on the bench with so little time on ice...

Which is why he goes out flying when he finally gets to jump on it
People bashed Therrien for Briere's use but right now he gets the best of both worlds. Briere's offense without the problem that comes with the fact Danny is a huge defensive liability.

If MT were to use Briere more, it might not even result in more offensive production, and it would most certainly result in more goals against.

4M is a lot for secondary scoring from the 4th line but then again we wouldn't be where we are without it. I was very vocal against this move, and the diaz trade... but damn MB/MT looking like geniuses right now.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 09:09 AM
  #222
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
It's not Bergevin's fault that Bouillon was on the PP or on the first pairing along side Subban or that Murray was in the lineup on the road vs Boston when we had better options. That's on Therrien. MB has made enough moves that he can say this is his team instead of just one that he inherited from BG/PG and from what I've seen so far the habs are in good hands!
To be fair, Therrien uses the pieces provided to him by Bergevin, and we had other pieces in the wings (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, hell, even Drewiske post-surgery) that wouldn't have necessitated the use of Murray or Bouillon ever again.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 11:21 AM
  #223
Bryson
Registered User
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
To be fair, Therrien uses the pieces provided to him by Bergevin, and we had other pieces in the wings (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, hell, even Drewiske post-surgery) that wouldn't have necessitated the use of Murray or Bouillon ever again.
Meh Emelin wasn't ready to start the season not to mention he was coming off of a huge injury. Without Bouillon and Murray you'd be forced to play two rookies to start the season. How often does that happen? They were possibly one injury away from having to ice three rookies. Nah Bergevin did the smart thing and provided depth. That has been the theme this entire season.

Tinordi and Beaulieu should have been eased into the lineup over the course of the season but we all know about Michel Therrien's love affairs with certain players and he's also the type of coach that prefers to ride veterans rather than develop youth.

Bryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 11:34 PM
  #224
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,603
vCash: 500
Very solid 4M spent.

Very very solid. Probably worth way more than Gio's money.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 11:40 PM
  #225
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,879
vCash: 500
Danny B, extend that ma ****er.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.