HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux scored his first NHL goal tonight....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2007, 10:35 PM
  #1
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,894
vCash: 500
Giroux scored his first NHL goal tonight....

why did we let this kid go again? just wondering, i liked what i saw from him...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM
  #2
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Career AHLer. Has stone hands and will not make it in the NHL with his style.

Then again a lot said something similar about Jeff Hamilton and hes having a great season with the Hawks....

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 10:50 PM
  #3
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Look at it this way: He hasn't even been able to earn himself a full-time job with one of the least deep teams in the league. We let him go because we have better players coming.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
  #4
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Because he's a career AHLer.

NYROrtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 11:00 PM
  #5
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,894
vCash: 500
i dunno, his ahl numbers have been mighty impressive, it just doesnt seem the kid has been given enough opportunities to prove he is (or isnt) an nhler....at least to me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 11:02 PM
  #6
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
There are a ton of guys who put up (and have put up) good/great stats in the AHL but just dont work out in the NHL. Giroux is nothing more than that.

NYROrtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 11:04 PM
  #7
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
There are a ton of guys who put up (and have put up) good/great stats in the AHL but just dont work out in the NHL. Giroux is nothing more than that.
i suppose thats possible, i hate typecasting a player as a career ahler based on 5 career NHL games...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 12:55 AM
  #8
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i suppose thats possible, i hate typecasting a player as a career ahler based on 5 career NHL games...
Derek Armstrong was a AHL player till he went to the Kings, is doing pretty well. We did not get anything for him. Brad Smyth on the other hand is a career AHL. Maybe Giroux can be a late blommer like Armstrong was.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 02:31 AM
  #9
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i dunno, his ahl numbers have been mighty impressive, it just doesnt seem the kid has been given enough opportunities to prove he is (or isnt) an nhler....at least to me.
ortmeyer is more skilled than him.. it is odd that he's been such a scorer at the AHL level

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 07:15 AM
  #10
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,375
vCash: 500
He's 26 now I believe (scoring his first ever NHL goal) and we had a lot of kids to move into the pros. What's more his frame is not that good for his height. I think we did the right thing. We've got a lot of young kids in Hartford and for the most part they've had a great season. We needed to move older AHL players out of the way to move them in. I'm quite excited about the progress of some of them. Callahan and Dubinsky have played really well in their callups--just think if Giroux were still here and got the callup instead of either of them. This coming year Dupont, Pyatt--hopefully Russell--maybe Olver or Anisimov will be joining them. Goodbye Weller and probably goodbe Lessard--maybe even goodbye Immonen and/or Helminen to make room for them.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:59 AM
  #11
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
He's 26 now I believe (scoring his first ever NHL goal) and we had a lot of kids to move into the pros. What's more his frame is not that good for his height. I think we did the right thing. We've got a lot of young kids in Hartford and for the most part they've had a great season. We needed to move older AHL players out of the way to move them in. I'm quite excited about the progress of some of them. Callahan and Dubinsky have played really well in their callups--just think if Giroux were still here and got the callup instead of either of them. This coming year Dupont, Pyatt--hopefully Russell--maybe Olver or Anisimov will be joining them. Goodbye Weller and probably goodbe Lessard--maybe even goodbye Immonen and/or Helminen to make room for them.
I think Weller stays, he is the Pack captain and u need some kind of leadership. Same for Lessard. He sticks up for teammates, every team needs at least one player who does that.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:39 AM
  #12
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i dunno, his ahl numbers have been mighty impressive, it just doesnt seem the kid has been given enough opportunities to prove he is (or isnt) an nhler....at least to me.
Jason Krog................

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 12:22 PM
  #13
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
why did we let this kid go again? just wondering, i liked what i saw from him...
Same reason as Garth Murray. He is not any good.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 01:40 PM
  #14
Geogaddi
Registered User
 
Geogaddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
His First NHL goal wasnt really him doing any work. Raycroft just misplayed the puck poorly. He can stay in Hershey, no loss here.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 02:35 PM
  #15
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
He was a filler in Hartford. He was a victim of our organization having better prospects that needed to be signed. You wil see the samething happen this offseason when players like Puriton are no longer on NHL contracts. some may be signed to Hartford AHL contracts, which is teh samething since we own Hartford. Just that they may have to pass through waivers if recalled to the NHL. Not 100% sure about that last point. No loss in Giroux. He was a good teammate in hartford and it is noce to see him eget a shot. Congrats.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 03:05 PM
  #16
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
I think Weller stays, he is the Pack captain and u need some kind of leadership. Same for Lessard. He sticks up for teammates, every team needs at least one player who does that.
Well--I don't see it if you need room to get these guys under contract and also keep the ones you already have. A question last year may have been--Do we keep Giroux around or do we go after Callahan? In that respect we made not only the obvious but the right decision. There is still that business about carrying 50 NHL contracts you know. You lock up your real prospects--you get rid of fodder. Weller at this stage has little chance of becoming an NHL player. Weller with an AHL instead of an NHL contract--sure--even then though we're maybe having another glut of players coming in. Off the top of my head we're looking at Dupont, Pyatt, Russell, Olver, Staal, Sauer, maybe Anisimov, maybe Reese, maybe Roche and other maybe than Reese and Roche these are very important players for our future.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:46 AM
  #17
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Giroux was the typical player who had enough talent to put up numbers at the AHL level, but not really make that next jump.

The problem was that he wasn't really that offensive at a higher level and didn't particularly make up for it with defense, physical play or anything else.

As such he was one of those players who wasn't necessarily bad, but didn't necessarily stand-out either.

Speaking of Derek Armstrong it is still amazing to me that he's turned into an NHL player. Him and Mike Knuble are still two of the biggest mind blowers for me.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:37 AM
  #18
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Giroux was the typical player who had enough talent to put up numbers at the AHL level, but not really make that next jump.

The problem was that he wasn't really that offensive at a higher level and didn't particularly make up for it with defense, physical play or anything else.

As such he was one of those players who wasn't necessarily bad, but didn't necessarily stand-out either.

Speaking of Derek Armstrong it is still amazing to me that he's turned into an NHL player. Him and Mike Knuble are still two of the biggest mind blowers for me.
I have a personal philosophy about that, how do some players who appear to struggle and then all of a sudden blossom to become a solid player in Knuble's case and a bonafide NHLer in Armstong's case. Understand that I am not talking about elite players. Generally speaking, I hold that the difference between most players comes down to opportunity, confidence, the player's own and the confidence that a particular coach shows or is preceived to show to the player. That is the key in my opinion.

When you look at most players and why we like or dislike them it comes down to personal preferences, whether it is you or me or the coach or coaching staffs. Why has Renney shown such patience with Hossa? Here in our own organization is a prime example of what I am talking about. On the flip side is Immonen. To a lesser degree Prucha. Knuble left us, goes to Boston puts up similar numbers his 1st year and then got quality ice time and gained the confidence and became an NHLer and a scorer. So much of playing involves confidence. Some players make a mistake and they are benched, sat out or sent out. Yet a another player with very similar skill sets makes the same mistakes and they get chance after chance. It is all about perspective.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:04 PM
  #19
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,080
vCash: 54
got another today

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:42 PM
  #20
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I have a personal philosophy about that, how do some players who appear to struggle and then all of a sudden blossom to become a solid player in Knuble's case and a bonafide NHLer in Armstong's case. Understand that I am not talking about elite players. Generally speaking, I hold that the difference between most players comes down to opportunity, confidence, the player's own and the confidence that a particular coach shows or is preceived to show to the player. That is the key in my opinion.
I've thought allot about that too.

I think it got some touching points with Mario Lemiuxe comming out of retirement, looking really heavy, and still outscoring the best of the best by a wide margin.

I don't think Mario and Gretz were extremely, out of this world, special talents. I think they were natrual talents at a time were players didn't practise all that hard, so if you were a natrual physical talent, along with a natrual hockey talent you had a advantage on two fronts. While today, all guys are good physically, and you can really only compete skill wise.

Therefor thoose two got to dominate extremely much. When Mario came back he got a advantage over the Forsbergs/Jagr's/Sakics among others, he had dominated in the NHL, he been in controll of entire shifts in the NHL because of his size and skill for 8-9-10 year. While dominating so much in all aspects during that time, he had a opertunity to look more steps ahead then Forsberg or Jagr ever had.

I heard a youth coach for MoDo, Forsbergs team in Sweden, say that guys like Forsberg and Näslund ect, weren't better at the age of 18 back in 1991, then the 18 y/o's comming out of Sweden are today. He said that they instead would be behind in allot of apspects. But at the same time, really few of thoose 18 y/o comming out of Sweden today, will be better then Forsberg are today. Forsberg had a big advantge, he could dominate at a really high level when he were young, and therefor could develop a tremendous understanding of the game.

Now back to the LeClair and Knuble of the world. I think thoose guys needs to be "handed" a position where they can get involved offensivly, they would never beat out anyone for thoose positions, but if they are handed to them, like next to a Thornton or next to a Lindros, they will get a opertunity to be snipers and score, which, even if its late in their career, will take their offensive game to another level, because they finally get a shot at practising at it. They finally got some time on the ice to look up, to evalute the other team defense, to focus on offensive aspects.

Many of these guys got it in them, but they need to practise at it, and thats something they aren't allowed to do in the situation they are in right now.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:44 PM
  #21
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Giroux is an All Star now. 2 goals.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:22 PM
  #22
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Giroux is an All Star now. 2 goals.
Was at that game today. Giroux's 2nd was the product of the Tampa Bay d-man running into his own goalie after the save.

The Caps beat the Bolts 7-1 today. Tampa's in a free fall right now. Their biggest problem is goaltending since Holmqvist has gone cold and Denis has stayed cold.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:29 PM
  #23
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
Was at that game today. Giroux's 2nd was the product of the Tampa Bay d-man running into his own goalie after the save.

The Caps beat the Bolts 7-1 today. Tampa's in a free fall right now. Their biggest problem is goaltending since Holmqvist has gone cold and Denis has stayed cold.
I'm not surprised their goaltending has been their downfall of late. Holmqvist was playing way above his head. And I never bought into Denis...he's a glorified back up goalie.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:14 PM
  #24
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
There are a ton of guys who put up (and have put up) good/great stats in the AHL but just dont work out in the NHL. Giroux is nothing more than that.
Jason Krog for example

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
  #25
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,804
vCash: 500
Awards:
Seems like his skating was not good enough the play at the NHL level. Add in the fact that the Rangers talent pool got better.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.