HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Milwaukee and Nashville Extend Affiliation

Old
05-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Tommy Hawk

vCash: 500
Milwaukee and Nashville Extend Affiliation

Received via e-mail from Admirals today:

Dear Milwaukee Admirals Fan,

Thank you for all of your support during the just completed 2013-14 season. It was a fun year that saw our attendance grow despite the very challenging winter weather. That is a true tribute to your commitment to the Admirals and for that we are truly grateful.

There were many highlights from this season including a big finish to propel us into our 12thstraight playoff appearance. While we wish that run would have gone on longer, we never take for granted the opportunity to play in the post-season. In an effort to continue that streak, we today announced a new three-year extension to our affiliation agreement with the Nashville Predators, who have been tremendous partners of the Admirals since the 1998-99 season.

We had fantastic performances from many players this season including emerging stars like Miikka Salomaki, Colton Sissons, Filip Forsberg, Austin Watson, Marek Mazanec and many more. The future of Admirals hockey is very bright as we prepare the next crop of players for their careers in the National Hockey League. The road to Nashville truly does go through Milwaukee.

Also, I don’t think any of us will ever forget having world-class goaltender Pekka Rinne with us for two games in late-February and early-March. The building was electric when he stepped onto the ice.

We also had lots of fun during the season with our entertainment with four great concerts including a nearly-sold out night with Dierks Bentley in January. We love putting Admirals hockey together each and every season and we hope that you enjoyed the games. Our motto of “It’s More than a Game” is how we operate and we try to make it fun for you to come out and relax.

On behalf of all of us with the Admirals, thank you for spending your hard-earned money with us and we look forward to seeing you throughout the summer. Opening Night is October 10 and we’re already hard at work planning for it. We hope to see you there as part of our season ticket holder family! Just give us a call and we’ll be happy to get you set up with a plan that works for you! In the meantime, please take a minute and enjoy this video of some of our 2013-14 season!

Go Admirals!

Harris Turer
Governor & CEO

Jon Greenberg
President

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 02:29 PM
adsfan

As a 1/2 season ticket holder, I received the same e-mail.

The teams usually renew for 2 years at a time and have done so since the 1998 start of the Nashville Predators.

Why 3 years this time?

My guess: It has to due with the Milwaukee Bucks getting a new arena. If the new arena isn't built or even started by the end of that term, the Bucks will leave town. The BMOHBC will be torn down because it will cost $25 million a year in upkeep according to projections published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The Admirals and Marquette men's basketball teams can't carry that amount. The county is broke. The city is not in good financial shape either. Nor is the board that oversees the BMOHBC. I doubt that the Governor (from the Milwaukee area) would provide more than a token amount, say $5 million a year, for only a short span of time. There was a big controversy when the state paid that amount for the arena upkeep. It bought a new main scoreboard as part of the arena extension program. People in Wisconsin are still upset about that expenditure. The prospective new owners of the Bucks have pledged $100 million towards a new arena. Herb Kohl, the current Bucks owner, has matched that pledge. While substantial, that would cover only half the cost, at best, of a new NBA caliber arena that would be the new home for the Bucks, the Admirals and Marquette men's basketball.

I don't know if the ice can be put in the old arena (now the US Cellular Arena) or not. That was the Admirals home across the street before the BMOHBC opened. Wilson Park Arena could be used, but probably for only one season, just like the last time that the Admirals changed from the then named Milwaukee Arena (MECCA) to the new Bradley Center in 1988. The only other rink in Milwaukee is the Admirals practice facility at the Kern Center at MSOE on the northeastern side of downtown. It seats about 800. The Admirals play a pre-season game at the Kern Center almost every year. It is the home of the Raiders, a Division 3 team for the Milwaukee School of Engineering.

The only other ice arena that I know of is Eble Park in Waukesha, about 15 miles west of downtown Milwaukee. I have never been in there.

Last edited by adsfan: 05-11-2014 at 02:49 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 04:34 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
What does the affiliate agreement have to do with the arena situation?

I'd imagine there is an easy out for Nashville and the AHL to leave Milwaukee if there is not a suitable facility for the Admirals to play in. They could sign for infinity years and it wouldn't matter.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:47 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
As a 1/2 season ticket holder, I received the same e-mail.

The teams usually renew for 2 years at a time and have done so since the 1998 start of the Nashville Predators.

Why 3 years this time?

My guess: It has to due with the Milwaukee Bucks getting a new arena. If the new arena isn't built or even started by the end of that term, the Bucks will leave town. The BMOHBC will be torn down because it will cost $25 million a year in upkeep according to projections published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The Admirals and Marquette men's basketball teams can't carry that amount. The county is broke. The city is not in good financial shape either. Nor is the board that oversees the BMOHBC. I doubt that the Governor (from the Milwaukee area) would provide more than a token amount, say $5 million a year, for only a short span of time. There was a big controversy when the state paid that amount for the arena upkeep. It bought a new main scoreboard as part of the arena extension program. People in Wisconsin are still upset about that expenditure. The prospective new owners of the Bucks have pledged $100 million towards a new arena. Herb Kohl, the current Bucks owner, has matched that pledge. While substantial, that would cover only half the cost, at best, of a new NBA caliber arena that would be the new home for the Bucks, the Admirals and Marquette men's basketball.

I don't know if the ice can be put in the old arena (now the US Cellular Arena) or not. That was the Admirals home across the street before the BMOHBC opened. Wilson Park Arena could be used, but probably for only one season, just like the last time that the Admirals changed from the then named Milwaukee Arena (MECCA) to the new Bradley Center in 1988. The only other rink in Milwaukee is the Admirals practice facility at the Kern Center at MSOE on the northeastern side of downtown. It seats about 800. The Admirals play a pre-season game at the Kern Center almost every year. It is the home of the Raiders, a Division 3 team for the Milwaukee School of Engineering.

The only other ice arena that I know of is Eble Park in Waukesha, about 15 miles west of downtown Milwaukee. I have never been in there.

That's funny, I don't think I got that email myself.

I don't see the MECCA being an issue, they still have Disney on Ice and similar, so they must have some ice-making facilities. Though I will admit, I have no idea what size rink those type of events use.

I don't see how the Admirals could play at the Kern Center or Wilson Park, although if they did move to either of those locations for a season, tickets would be sold out for almost every game!

It still boggles my mind to think about the Admirals playing at Wilson Park back in the 80s

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 05:47 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
I don't see the MECCA being an issue, they still have Disney on Ice and similar, so they must have some ice-making facilities. Though I will admit, I have no idea what size rink those type of events use.
FWIW, here's a seating chart for an "ice show" at U.S. Cellular Arena.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
What does the affiliate agreement have to do with the arena situation?

I'd imagine there is an easy out for Nashville and the AHL to leave Milwaukee if there is not a suitable facility for the Admirals to play in. They could sign for infinity years and it wouldn't matter.
In November of 2017, the NBA could pull the rug out from under the Bucks franchise if they can't show that a new arena is built or in progress. The BMOH Bradley Center will be demolished in the foreseeable future, potentially leaving the Admirals with no AHL approved home for 2017-18, the first year not covered by the new agreement. They are indirectly linked as the two teams share the arena.

Old
05-16-2014, 10:38 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
FWIW, here's a seating chart for an "ice show" at U.S. Cellular Arena.

I think that Disney on Ice brings their own portable system. The last time that I went (more than a few years ago), the ice sheet was smaller to allow room for the special effects, lasers, fog generators etc around the outside. All ice shows may not be equal.

Old
05-19-2014, 01:58 AM
Tommy Hawk

When I went to one at the Bradley center a few years ago, not Disney but a figure skating thing, they used a smaller ice surface as well, they just put boards and seats over the ice. They also had a separate area for a bandstand, etc. I think the US Cellular has its own ice plant.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote