HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Cherepanov broke the Pavel Bure's record

Old
03-15-2007, 06:26 PM
msky

vCash: 500
Cherepanov 3pts in play-off (2+1) in two games

msky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 06:55 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

If a player scores allot of pts in a handful of games, and then does nothing, its of course not (alone) reason for excitement.

But its really hard to score in the leagues in Europe, skill alone don't gaurantee anything. You must understand the offensive game well, and you must be able to use your linemates well.

In the NHL teams settle with 1 on 1 plays defensivly. While in Europe the tempo is slower, its easier to collect defensivly, and teams try to get a 2 on 1 defensive situation. To have a D back, and a center that can cover for him. Its harder to do anything with pure skills. In the NHL its more 1 on 1, if you win your battle, you will get a scoring chance. In Europe its often not enough to win one battle, you have to beat another guy after it. It much more about figuring out in what situations its worth to challenge a D, to be able to evalute offensive situations, to make the right decison.

Often kids in Europe doesn't score at all, or gets like 10 pts, for a pretty long time, untill they really catch fire and becomes PPG players over a night. There are a ton of examples like that.

Without having seen any games, only looking at stats, its hard to say whats gooing on. Anisimov could just have been extremely lucky for 4-5 games. But, if a kid in Europe catches fire like Anisimov have, it can also defenitly be a sign that he have started to master the offensive game. And thats something most kids aren't able to do here before they are 21-22 y/o, so when a kid like Anisimov are able to do it, who still is 18 y/o, it can be really good.

In terms of skills Anisimov got potential to contribute in the RSL right away, no doubt, for him its about getting his understanding of the game up on par. I wouldn't have been suprised if that took 4 years, if he didn't start to produce untill he where 22. Thats pretty normal, 20-22.
Do you do scouting job or are you just very much in to it?
Think you are one of the more knowledgable posters on HF and there are some stiff competition.

Not wanna suck to much but a big to you.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Cors

Send a message via ICQ to Cors
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
thanks. How many games?

Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
Slitty, did Avangard advance? How did Cherepanov do? I heard he left a recent game with a rib injury. Is he back in action yet?
Yes, Avangard swept the five game series against Vityaz. Cherepanov well in the first two games (a goal and an assist) , but did not play in the third thanks to Reid Simpson. Perhaps not in game one, but he will play against Lokomotiv in the second round.

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 01:21 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Yes, Avangard swept the five game series against Vityaz. Cherepanov well in the first two games (a goal and an assist) , but did not play in the third thanks to Reid Simpson. Perhaps not in game one, but he will play against Lokomotiv in the second round.
Thanks for the info, Slitty!

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Without having seen any games, only looking at stats, its hard to say whats gooing on. Anisimov could just have been extremely lucky for 4-5 games. But, if a kid in Europe catches fire like Anisimov have, it can also defenitly be a sign that he have started to master the offensive game. And thats something most kids aren't able to do here before they are 21-22 y/o, so when a kid like Anisimov are able to do it, who still is 18 y/o, it can be really good.

I think at least part of Anisimov's recent success is to getting a capable partner on the 4th line in Alexei Mikhnov. They clicked, and what was the 4th line suddenly got Kudashov added to it, and became the first. While Lokomotiv's lines have been getting constantly shuffled all season long, Anisimov hasn't really had this big of an opportunity thus far.

Old
03-16-2007, 02:56 AM
bulgaria

Avangard wins the all 3 games against Vityaz Chehov and continue in next round when they play against Lokomotiv Yar.In two of those games Cherepanov scores two goals and made one assist.In the second he was injuried by canadian defender of Vityaz,and Alexey didn't play in the last game in the first round,but now everything with him is O.K.

The other games in second playoff round:
Metallurg Mg -Sibir
Ak Bars-Khimik or Severstal
Salavat Yulaev-CSKA
In RSL you need 3 wins to get the series not 4 like nhl

bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 10:33 AM
hawksfan50

Yet despite Cherepanov's exploits in the RSL there are concerns I have:

1. Russian transfer issues

(i) IF no transfer=OMSK will either try shennannigans or a huge contract to keep him;sure NHL team that drafts him can try to steal out of the country or try that crazy Russian labor law clause that may or may not work to release him --but again their could be court cases and delays ...

OR

(ii) if a new transfer agreement does get done=then it could cost an NHl team upto $1million in such transfer fees to sign a high first round pick from Russia....

2. Issues aboyt Cherepanov:

(i)--he does not have Ovechkin or Malkin SIZE ....thus the risk on "average size" Russkie "superstars" is always higher in the transition to smaller NHL rink play...

(ii) he did not "dominate" (as one would expect Ovechkin or Malkin would) at the 5nations U-18 at Most Czech Rep this February --in fact he played so uninspiringly that Kyle Woodlief at Redline says he was tempted to drop him from the top ten of his rankings but could not because he says he could not find anyone elese worthy of moving up to take his place....that Cherepanov resumed playing well back in his "comfort zone" in the RSL for OMSK and is having a fine strt to the playoffs might mean the % nations was just an aberattion--or perhaps he is just the right fit in OMSK but MIGHT NOT BE in other situtions--perhaps his linemates in OMSK have a lot to do wit his succcess there?

(iii) Although he had a fine WJHC --he sort of disappeared when it counted in the Golds medal Game vs. Canada --where he was not the best Russian forward on the ice...that he bombed whenit counted most is alarming...

In summary--despite what his RSL stats show--he is NOT the "franchise" type prospect that Ovechkin and Malkin were --I see more of a "hyped" risk with him--he might make an impact in the NHL --OR he'll be a Russkie who never adjusts to the nHL style and anfter his enrty contract--like so many other failed Russkie 1st rounders who could not adjust to the NHL style nd rinks and went back home to toil in the motherland (Russia/RSL) for the remainder of the hockey careers..ie. he is no sure thing as Ovechkin+Malkin were..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post

(i)--he does not have Ovechkin or Malkin SIZE ....thus the risk on "average size" Russkie "superstars" is always higher in the transition to smaller NHL rink play...

(ii) he did not "dominate" (as one would expect Ovechkin or Malkin would) at the 5nations U-18 at Most Czech Rep this February --in fact he played so uninspiringly that Kyle Woodlief at Redline says he was tempted to drop him from the top ten of his rankings but could not because he says he could not find anyone elese worthy of moving up to take his place....that Cherepanov resumed playing well back in his "comfort zone" in the RSL for OMSK and is having a fine strt to the playoffs might mean the % nations was just an aberattion--or perhaps he is just the right fit in OMSK but MIGHT NOT BE in other situtions--perhaps his linemates in OMSK have a lot to do wit his succcess there?

(iii) Although he had a fine WJHC --he sort of disappeared when it counted in the Golds medal Game vs. Canada --where he was not the best Russian forward on the ice...that he bombed whenit counted most is alarming...

In summary--despite what his RSL stats show--he is NOT the "franchise" type prospect that Ovechkin and Malkin were --I see more of a "hyped" risk with him--he might make an impact in the NHL --OR he'll be a Russkie who never adjusts to the nHL style and anfter his enrty contract--like so many other failed Russkie 1st rounders who could not adjust to the NHL style nd rinks and went back home to toil in the motherland (Russia/RSL) for the remainder of the hockey careers..ie. he is no sure thing as Ovechkin+Malkin were..
Despite his stats, NOBODY's expecting him to be in Ovechkin or Malkin's class.....although I think he has the potential to be on a level with players like Semin, Bergeron or Nash.

Also, from what I gather, his poor 5-nations showing was due to a lack of interest and motivation rather than than not being in his 'comfort zone'. I'd think a meaningless u-18 tourney would be a bit of a let down after playing in the RSL and the WJC. However, the fact he loafed around the ice at the 5-nations should send up red flags.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 02:16 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Please excuse my ignorance, but how different is the NHL from the RSL in terms of average points a player gets? As someone who knows nothing about Russian hockey, 18 goals and 11 assists doesn't seem like a big deal.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Paxton Fettel

Cherepanov > Crosby

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but how different is the NHL from the RSL in terms of average points a player gets? As someone who knows nothing about Russian hockey, 18 goals and 11 assists doesn't seem like a big deal.

Cherepanov's stats themseleves, by RSL standards, are those of a moderately good top six forward. If looked at from a narrow perspective there is nothing notable about them: Cherepanov only achieved the sixth highest point total on his team. What is impressive is the age at which Alexei attain these 18 goals and 11 assists. For the most part, even good prospects do not start making a significant contribution at the RSL level until their early twenties, and even the exceptions in Ovechkin, Malkin, etc at 18 are being outdone by Cherepanov.

On a slightly different note, do you think Cherepanov can beat Samsonov's cumilative single season points record for an 18 year old?

Old
03-16-2007, 07:31 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
On a slightly different note, do you think Cherepanov can beat Samsonov's cumilative single season points record for an 18 year old?
Uh? Wasn't Samsonov playing in Detroit (IHL) as a 17yrs old and in the NHL the next season at 18?

helicecopter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
Cherepanov > Crosby
Cherepanov >> Aki Berg

Well no maybe not quite that good =) I would not mind if the Flyers took a shot on this guy. I don't expect them too, but if we were to draft him with one of the first two picks I wouldn't complain.

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 07:58 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
Cherepanov > Crosby
Looks like someone is hitting the sauce.

NCAA Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 08:02 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA Hockey Fan View Post
Looks like someone is hitting the sauce.
or they have a opinion

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
Uh? Wasn't Samsonov playing in Detroit (IHL) as a 17yrs old and in the NHL the next season at 18?
Not before amassing 40 points in an RSL season as a seventeen year old. He actually first broke into the RSL at 16, turned 18 at the very begining of his season with the Vipers, and didn't play in the NHL until he was nearly 19.

Old
03-17-2007, 04:34 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Not before amassing 40 points in an RSL season as a seventeen year old. He actually first broke into the RSL at 16, turned 18 at the very begining of his season with the Vipers, and didn't play in the NHL until he was nearly 19.
yep
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=15609
i didn't remember he was already so effective as a 17yrs old in the RSL , before leaving for the IHL..

also..
Quote:
..can beat Samsonov's cumilative single season points record for an 18 year old?
that bolded part misled me.
(i was sure he was already playing in North America when he turned 18)

helicecopter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 07:54 AM
paul99

''like so many other failed Russkie 1st rounders who could not adjust to the NHL style''

Come one... there are also a couple of true Canadians 1st rounders who also failed to ''adjust'' to the NHL and failed to make it or failed to reach the potential we thought they had. Indeed, the past data show that since 20 years, the Russians 1st rouders had more success making the NHL and having success than any player from any other country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Yet despite Cherepanov's exploits in the RSL there are concerns I have:

1. Russian transfer issues

(i) IF no transfer=OMSK will either try shennannigans or a huge contract to keep him;sure NHL team that drafts him can try to steal out of the country or try that crazy Russian labor law clause that may or may not work to release him --but again their could be court cases and delays ...

OR

(ii) if a new transfer agreement does get done=then it could cost an NHl team upto $1million in such transfer fees to sign a high first round pick from Russia....

paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 07:55 AM
paul99

Some may have not read this: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9353

paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote