HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2014, 11:50 PM
  #226
g04tm4n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: South Africa
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
So glad none of my LHS or even the bigger "name" hockey stores do this around here. Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY understand the theory behind it. It stinks for a qualified sales associate to take his or her time to fit someone perfectly to a pair of skates, only to have that person turn around and buy them online.

However, as someone who wouldn't do that, I am happy I don't have to pay to have someone fit me. Personally, I'd still be weary of ordering skates online(more power to you for those that do). I want to be fitted, and try on the exact pair that I am going to spend so much time in. Thats just me though.
I think stores that charge for fitting are probably just trying to survive and save their employees time by not spending valuable time for no sale. I assume it is due to previous experience with bargain hunting people.


Last edited by g04tm4n: 05-17-2014 at 02:06 AM.
g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 08:45 PM
  #227
Watch for the Yeti
Say No to Oshie
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
If I use my rollerblades 22 hours after getting them baked that will be fine, right?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 05:40 PM
  #228
beeker16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Hi all,

Now I would like to hear some suggestions about type of toecap.

Currently I don't like the dead space in my APX.

Someone has any suggestions?


My supremes seem to eliminate that feeling at the cost of some slight/faint pinching on the outer sides of my pinky toe. I haven't had enough skate time to break them in 100% and did switch to a new lacing method, but overall still happy with them.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 03:09 AM
  #229
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
My supremes seem to eliminate that feeling at the cost of some slight/faint pinching on the outer sides of my pinky toe. I haven't had enough skate time to break them in 100% and did switch to a new lacing method, but overall still happy with them.
thank you. what is your width?

Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 12:29 PM
  #230
adamkesher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to adamkesher
I have a new pair of Graf ultra 9035s. I tried them in the store and the left boot fits me PERFECTLY. Absolutely perfect heel lock and form fit after baking. The right, however, was about 95% the right fit. It felt snug and I could walk on them okay. My heel wasn't *loose* but it wasn't 100% locked.

Would another bake and kicking my heel back a bit harder possibly fix this? The guy at the store basically said with two different sized/shaped feet this is something that happens. Can I bake them at the shop again and do something to form fit the heel portion of the boot to my heel better?

I'm wondering if I just moved my right foot around a bit after baking (I think I did slightly, actually) and that might have affected it.

I think it really comes down to having a differently shaped right foot.

What can I do to improve the fit of the right boot in this case? I don't think the right boot is loose to a point that I'll be injured or anything or I wouldn't have bought the skates, but I'm afraid of reduced performance from my right foot.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

adamkesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 12:48 PM
  #231
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
The right foot doesn't sound too bad. You should understand that the feel on ice when you're actually skating is different than just walking around. I strongly suggest you skate in them a few times before considering alterations or changes.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 12:50 PM
  #232
adamkesher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to adamkesher
Thanks for the quick response as always, AIREAYE. It just feels like it's lifting a bit while the left is a perfect lock so it made my nervous. I'll make sure it's laced up really well when I hit the ice for the first skate and hopefully I won't be back here with problems!

adamkesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 04:24 PM
  #233
Quartz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkesher View Post
I have a new pair of Graf ultra 9035s. I tried them in the store and the left boot fits me PERFECTLY. Absolutely perfect heel lock and form fit after baking. The right, however, was about 95% the right fit. It felt snug and I could walk on them okay. My heel wasn't *loose* but it wasn't 100% locked.

Would another bake and kicking my heel back a bit harder possibly fix this? The guy at the store basically said with two different sized/shaped feet this is something that happens. Can I bake them at the shop again and do something to form fit the heel portion of the boot to my heel better?

I'm wondering if I just moved my right foot around a bit after baking (I think I did slightly, actually) and that might have affected it.

I think it really comes down to having a differently shaped right foot.

What can I do to improve the fit of the right boot in this case? I don't think the right boot is loose to a point that I'll be injured or anything or I wouldn't have bought the skates, but I'm afraid of reduced performance from my right foot.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
the rule what I have learned here is: fit the smallest foot and biggest foot you can stretch later.

Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 09:42 AM
  #234
ng1968
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Skate Question- Bauer one.8 v. one.9

Question for Aireye or anyone else who has an informed opinion.

My son is a HS freshman that has been playing for about 7 years. He is a good, but by no means "elite" type player. He plays wing and is a fairly aggressive, fast skater. Not a big kid (5' 4" and about 130 lbs) Based on his genes, he is not likely to grow a tremendous amount more (a few inches maybe). His foot may still be growing, but it seems to have slowed down quite a bit.

Up till now, I have tried to keep equipment costs down by, typically, purchasing skates on clearance and generally going with a "midline" skate..he has been skating on Easton EQ40s for a year or so. They are destroyed and have little blade left. Last year, between fall hockey and the HS season, he was probably in the skates 150 hours (2 games and 2 practices per week) . In the off season, he will play the occasional pick up game.

We both think its time to bite the bullet and get a higher end skate. I am fortunate to have 2 or 3 pretty good LHSs in our area. Last weekend, he tried on a ton of skates, and ultimately felt that the Bauer One.9 was the best fit (in a 6D). Obviously, I have heard its a great skate, but its also pricey and I am concerned that the high end features might actually be overkill for him. The LHS has these "on sale" for just over $400 (US dollars) before tax.

The LHS did not have any One.8s left. Based on threads on this board and other research, it seems like the One.8 is a very good, upper end skate which is different from the One.9 in only a few ways. I have located a One.8 in his size at the retail location of a large internet hockey retailer which is about 1.5 hours from here. The One.8 will come in at about $285 before tax.

When I called my LHS to ask about the One.8, the rep was adamant that the "One.8 is a completely different boot, with a different fit". He also highlighted that the One.8 would break down sooner and that they were like "night and day". It was difficult for me to tell whether he was being honest, or if he just really wanted to sell me the One.9s he had on hand.

I obviously understand that you get what you pay for and that the One.9, based on what I have heard, is a top end skate. However, I was not expecting to hear that there was a huge diference between the two. Obviously, I would like to consider the One.8 because of the price, particularly since its possible he could still grow out of them.

I am willing to make the long drive out to the store that has the One.8s, but since the One.9s felt really good to him, if what the local LHS rep says is true, I might just bite the bullet and get the more expensive skate here locally. However, if the fit should be reasonably consistent, and only lose a few top end features, Id really like to consider the One .8.

So after that long winded explanation, my question really is:

1. What are the differences between the One.8 and One.9?
2. Was the local hockey shop guy stretching the truth, especially regarding differences in fit?
3. Based on my description of how much my son plays and the level, is the One.8 "enough" of a skate?

Thanks very much for listening.

ng1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 10:49 AM
  #235
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
1. Shop guy was right on one count, the boot construction is different, with the One.9 having a carbon composite shell and thus being noticeably stiffer than the One.8. The tongue is also thicker on the 9 and the 2 aforementioned features are pretty much the main differences.

2,3. To be frank, I do think he was pushing the One.9 a bit much. The fit characteristics remain the same, but the feel will be slightly different due to the different construction & tongue. Both skates should end up fitting more or less the same after baking/break-in if that's what you're worried about. If he likes the One.9 fit, he should like the One.8 fit, especially if you tell him this beforehand (priming works quite well lol). They are very much NOT 'like night and day' (red flag) as he said, but a noticeable jump up.

Regarding choosing between the two, I would argue that you're in a good position of not going wrong either way. Either would be an upgrade to what he has now and many people wouldn't hesitate to jump up to the One.9 at that clearance price. However, do factor in cost of time/fuel as well as your budget for the rest of his gear to see how either skate fits within that.

If you decide to go with the One.8, think of it as a level above the EQ40, comparable or even a feature below the EQ50. If you decide to go with the One.9, make sure to understand that the stiffness at first may throw him off. I suggest setting the time aside a few weeks/couple months after purchase to bake them a second or even third time as he feels necessary. Undoing the top eyelet to attain ankle flex is also a possibility.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 10:09 PM
  #236
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,873
vCash: 500
Question for AIREAYE.

Are supreme 160s too stiff for a 6 year old who has been skating 3 years?

My son has been using vapor X40 / X1.0 skates for the past 2 seasons and liked them a lot, but this year jumping from size 12 to 13 seemed like too big of a jump, there seemed to be too much room, so we got him the supreme 160s in size 12.5.

My son says he likes the skates but I feel like his skating has regressed a bit. Definitely doesn't seem like he is bending his knees as much but I am tying the skates the same way I tied the vapors. Is it too much of a skate for him? The guy at the shop told me they're very similar. He also has really wide feet so we hoped the supremes would be better for him.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 11:54 PM
  #237
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
For youth skates especially, that shouldn't be a problem if they fit well.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
  #238
ng1968
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Thanks very much for the quick help. I will post back here to let you know which way we go and his results with the skates. I agree with you that either choice will be an upgrade. FWIW, he had no complaints with the EQ40s but I suspect some increase in stiffness will help him.

ng1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 06:47 PM
  #239
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,873
vCash: 500
Thanks AIREAYE

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 11:34 AM
  #240
samsquanch9*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Just got mx3's

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 01:19 PM
  #241
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch9 View Post
Just got mx3's
Can't wait to get mine! Did you do it through the staff deal?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:08 PM
  #242
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
anyone have any do it yourself solutions for fixing too much ankle area volume? my nexus skates fit my feet perfectly but unfortunately i have skinny ankles so theres a lot of wiggle room

love my nexus 800 skates, but i had to make the trade off of a good ankle fit with my supremes for a good fit everywhere else.. feel like this effects my performance late in shifts where i might be skates on my inside edges only

was thinking of maybe wrapping my ankles to beef them up a bit, dont want to spend 50+ on ankle braces.. thoughts?

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:20 PM
  #243
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
Nah, look at Stable26 socks. That should do the trick.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:40 PM
  #244
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Nah, look at Stable26 socks. That should do the trick.
already wear those lol.... maybe ill look into the other inserts as i only have the standard one

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 11:12 PM
  #245
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
It should come with 3 thicknesses. If the thickest one isn't working for you, then I'd be reconsidering the way my next pair of skates should fit.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 10:06 AM
  #246
elmariachi227
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
I have a tiny bit of heel lift in my skates, but everything else seems to fit fine. Would Stable 26's fix that?

elmariachi227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  #247
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
It might. Worth a try.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 04:47 PM
  #248
ng1968
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
1. Shop guy was right on one count, the boot construction is different, with the One.9 having a carbon composite shell and thus being noticeably stiffer than the One.8. The tongue is also thicker on the 9 and the 2 aforementioned features are pretty much the main differences.

2,3. To be frank, I do think he was pushing the One.9 a bit much. The fit characteristics remain the same, but the feel will be slightly different due to the different construction & tongue. Both skates should end up fitting more or less the same after baking/break-in if that's what you're worried about. If he likes the One.9 fit, he should like the One.8 fit, especially if you tell him this beforehand (priming works quite well lol). They are very much NOT 'like night and day' (red flag) as he said, but a noticeable jump up.

Regarding choosing between the two, I would argue that you're in a good position of not going wrong either way. Either would be an upgrade to what he has now and many people wouldn't hesitate to jump up to the One.9 at that clearance price. However, do factor in cost of time/fuel as well as your budget for the rest of his gear to see how either skate fits within that.

If you decide to go with the One.8, think of it as a level above the EQ40, comparable or even a feature below the EQ50. If you decide to go with the One.9, make sure to understand that the stiffness at first may throw him off. I suggest setting the time aside a few weeks/couple months after purchase to bake them a second or even third time as he feels necessary. Undoing the top eyelet to attain ankle flex is also a possibility.
So after a trip out to the eastern part of the state to the "Hockey Superstore"..a couple of interesting things happened. One, my son felt that the Supreme One.9 in a 6D was "too narrow" and was pinching his front foot. This was strange to me since we had tried on that size a couple weeks earlier at our LHS and he felt they were fine. Teenagers....

Anyway, we also learned that the skates (which now seem to be entering true clearance mode as retailers want to make way for the new Supremes) were in fact 30% off the sale price...meaning they came in at $335 before tax (including a bake and sharpen). At that point, we didnt really spend a lot of time comparing with the One.8s as I felt that the value of the One.9 at that price was great.

He ended up in a 6EE. I am very hopeful that these are a proper fit once he breaks them in as he hasnt used a wide skate before (he has been measured as having somewhat wide feet, but we have always been in D or regular width skates). I told him not to be surprised by a huge jump in stiffness. He has a couple of games this weekend and we will see how the adjustment goes.

ng1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:26 AM
  #249
Craner
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quick question about baking, would it make a tight fitting skate feel looser or the opposite, a loose fitting skate tighten up. My feet are borderline in regards to width. Do you think it would be better to go with a tighter fitting D skate or the more comfortable EE skate? So would baking make the D make them a little wider where I need it and more comfortable or if I go with the EE would the baking conform any loose fitting areas to my foot.

Craner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:45 AM
  #250
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
I tell anyone who's borderline to go with slightly narrower because a skate can always expand a little, but rarely contract. The toebox area is the crux of this argument though because you can't really do anything to change the width of that.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.