HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bonk out 4-6 weeks with broken foot

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 01:21 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Bonk out 4-6 weeks with broken foot

Bonk

Old
02-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Human Megaphone

At the start of the season our biggest problem was our depth at centre, with Fisher also out I realize we aren't as deep, but shouldn't we be able to adjust?

Personally I fall in the middle in regards to Bonk, I think he had a good playoff, but I have been unsatisfied with his play of late. This will give us a very good look at how we do without him. Regardless of opinion Bonk did line up against top centres every night, so I think we will be missing that. Hopefully we can adjust and take advantage of that big depth problem we had at the start of the year.

Old
02-11-2004, 01:31 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Hopefully Vermette and Spezza return soon to limit the amount of games we have to watch Van Allen with Hossa.

This is a big loss, but he'll be back for the playoffs and will get some games in before they start.

Old
02-11-2004, 01:39 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Can anyone say Alex Zhamnov?

Old
02-11-2004, 01:40 PM
kidchrome

OMG....what a blow to this team.....hope Muckler has Bob Pulford's phone #

Old
02-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

This is not a major blow by any stretch of the imagination.

If Bonk were at risk of being out part of the playoffs, or even until the beginning of the playoffs, Muckler might re-evaluate. But that is not the case. As of now, we're fine at center with Spezza, White, Smolinski and Van Allen. Moving Smoke over to center simply means there is opening on the wing, and with Schaefer, Langfield, Vermette and Schastlivy all with the club, the depth is there.

Kelly, Laich, Hamel and Stephens are all call-ups a phone call away in the event of another injury at forward, and we can plug anyone of them into the 4th line as a stop-gap.

Factor in Fisher is ready to come back in the next couple of weeks, and this gives the Sens even more depth, as Fisher can play left wing, as well as center.

Aside from the prospect of another rash of injuries up front (admittedly, there isn't a lot of depth long-term left), the main concern is this will probably hurt the powerplay a bit, as Bonk has great chemistry with Hossa and Havlat down low, but there are certainly enough weapons.

If anything, perhaps this will show Muckler what the team is like without Bonk in the line-up for an extended period of time. As someone who has always preferred to keep Bonk unless a no-brainer deal came along, I am rather curious to see how this unfolds.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:25 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Can anyone say Alex Zhamnov?
I was thinking O'Neill...but who am I?

Old
02-11-2004, 02:36 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
I was thinking O'Neill...but who am I?
Even better ...Smyth.

I'm getting weary about Fisher coming back in time for the playoffs..everytime it looks he is getting better, he digresses.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)

If Bonk were at risk of being out part of the playoffs, or even until the beginning of the playoffs, Muckler might re-evaluate. But that is not the case. As of now, we're fine at center with Spezza, White, Smolinski and Van Allen. Moving Smoke over to center simply means there is opening on the wing, and with Schaefer, Langfield, Vermette and Schastlivy all with the club, the depth is there.

Kelly, Laich, Hamel and Stephens are all call-ups a phone call away in the event of another injury at forward, and we can plug anyone of them into the 4th line as a stop-gap.

Factor in Fisher is ready to come back in the next couple of weeks, and this gives the Sens even more depth, as Fisher can play left wing, as well as center.

Aside from the prospect of another rash of injuries up front (admittedly, there isn't a lot of depth long-term left), the main concern is this will probably hurt the powerplay a bit, as Bonk has great chemistry with Hossa and Havlat down low, but there are certainly enough weapons.

If anything, perhaps this will show Muckler what the team is like without Bonk in the line-up for an extended period of time. As someone who has always preferred to keep Bonk unless a no-brainer deal came along, I am rather curious to see how this unfolds.
That's it what I was thinking. You just put it nicer.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Even better ...Smyth.
Lets just go for the big one and convince Wayne Gretzky to come out of retirement?

This isn't a bid loss. Bonk is back for the playoffs no problem. Vermette and Fisher are due back soon, this doesn't worry me.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:52 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Moving Smoke over to center simply means there is opening on the wing, and with Schaefer, Langfield, Vermette and Schastlivy all with the club, the depth is there.
Schastlivy?

Anyway, I don't think it's as bad as some think. We can easily get by with the guys who can all play center. With any luck this will mean that Hossa will get to play with a better center in Spezza.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
I really hope Martin brings back the Spezza-Hossa line..they work very well together. But with Fisher gone they are going to have some problems I think, now that Bonk is gone. Let's face it...Kelly, Laich, etc aren't going to have an impact at all. Bonk isn't consistent but he's excellent at shutting people down and getting the puck out. I'm hoping Muckler will come to his senses and get either Bondra, Smyth or O'Neill somehow.

Old
02-11-2004, 03:06 PM
SensGod

The Sens have recalled Kelly apparently...I was quite surprised that Laich wasn't brought back up...guess they are moving either Smoke or Vermette back to center.

Old
02-11-2004, 03:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Petr Nedved anyone?

02-11-2004, 03:08 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Lets just go for the big one and convince Wayne Gretzky to come out of retirement?
GET LEMIEUX!

Old
02-11-2004, 03:13 PM
The Hamburglar

Quote:

I didn't want to hear that name on this board again

As for Bonk being hurt, good! Yes that does sound kinda weird but I have my reasons. First off, Bonk is valuable to the team, but he doesn't make or break this team. We will win just the same without him. Second of all, for the playoffs we will have a rested but not rusty Radek. He'll get several reg. season games in before crunch time and he should be at his peak come Game 1.

Old
02-11-2004, 03:59 PM
sensfan18

No-way Muck makes a deal because of this. We have 2 natural centre's playing the wing (Vermette and Smoke), one of them will be moved to the middle, most likely Smoke. I really hope that JM puts Spezza back with Hossa for the time being, I really liked that combo before. The only thing this really does is weaken our #2 PP unit, Spezz should move up the #1 unit weakening the #2 unit. A month of towards the end of the year will probably help the enigma known as bonk, he'll be real fresh for the playoff drive.

BTW, I really hope that Fish does not rush back ahead of schedule now and jeopardize his playoff future.

Old
02-11-2004, 04:11 PM
discostu

This injury may be a blessing in disguise. We have a lot of youngsters that are looking for opportunities, and Bonk's been getting great ice-time without producing the results that go with it.

A decision on Bonk's future has to be made this off-season anyways (when he's up for contract again), and the next 4-6 weeks will provide a good analysis of how this team can function without him. Come the playoffs, he'll be back in the line-up, so this injury doesn't hurt us where it counts.

Old
02-11-2004, 06:45 PM
lafite

I'd like to know what Ottawa's won-loss record is when Bonk has been out the last few years. My guess is the win to loss ratio goes way down when he has been out. Short term, no big deal, but Ottawa is definately a better team with Bonk than without.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:36 PM
trentmccleary

My guess is that another gritty, 3rd line LW in finally picked up to replace Varada.

LW: Schaefer... [Langfeld + Vermette + Kelly = 70 NHL games played]

Not enough for the stretch run IMO. Especially since Muckler thought we needed Varada last season and Fisher is a big question mark too.

As for Bonk... this is the time of year that he disappears anyways. "The game 60 fade". Maybe he'll come back in a month thinking it's the beginning of the season again. He usually scores then.

Old
02-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I agree with the idea that the need for a physical left winger has been heightened. Losing Bonk is a big body, and shifting Smoke over to center makes the left side very inexperienced.

And yes, I made a bit of a booboo on the Schastlivy reference.

Who'd we get again?

Old
02-12-2004, 02:13 PM
SENSfreak_03

if this was much longer then it was, and he were to miss playoff time, then a quick move for a centre would be needed. but the guys have are capable to carry the load until he gets back, theres no need to panic, the depth in the position lets us see what its like, and gives us time to evaluate our options. hopefully its only 4 weeks, and then we can get back to normal.

on another note, this is the longest i can remeber bonk being out, hes been a pretty durable guy.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:16 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
As for Bonk... this is the time of year that he disappears anyways. "The game 60 fade". Maybe he'll come back in a month thinking it's the beginning of the season again. He usually scores then.
Well, Bonk hurt his foot blocking a shot. I have never seen Spezza block a shot. Come to think of it, I have never seen Spezza inside his own blueline.

Also, on the subject of Bonk Bashing, did anyone else notice that the RO TV boys were bemoaning the fact that poor Lalime and Alfy had the flu in early January, the same time when Bonk was being hauled over the coles. Then, after a game during an excercise bike interview, Redden casually mentions that "Bonk was the first guy to get the flu, right after new years". Hmmmm. If Redden hadn't have said it, I wouldn't have heard it, certainly not from Mutt and Jeff on the RO. Does every team have a whipping boy?

Old
02-12-2004, 09:53 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite
Also, on the subject of Bonk Bashing...

Points/per game in different months using career stats:

Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar
.80, .69, .51, .52, 0.45, .60,

*(April = .47, usually few games on the schedule)

February is the lowest month, like I said originally.

Closed Thread