HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2013-14 Ongoing Waiver Thread Part II

Old
04-29-2014, 11:15 AM
caley

vCash: 500
per Darren Dreger, St. Louis puts Adam Cracknell on waivers today.

05-21-2014, 11:16 AM
caley

per Darren Dreger, Montreal is putting Robert Mayer on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract.

I'm a little puzzled at this move. Last year Mayer signed a contract to go back to his native Switzerland to play, then did an about face and re-signed with the Canadiens for two years. I'm not sure why he signed for two when it looks like he was giving it one last chance in North America, but he was probably disappointed that Dustin Tokarski stayed ahead of him in the rotation and that Montreal drafted another goalie.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per Darren Dreger, Montreal is putting Robert Mayer on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract.

I'm a little puzzled at this move. Last year Mayer signed a contract to go back to his native Switzerland to play, then did an about face and re-signed with the Canadiens for two years. I'm not sure why he signed for two when it looks like he was giving it one last chance in North America, but he was probably disappointed that Dustin Tokarski stayed ahead of him in the rotation and that Montreal drafted another goalie.
We were puzzled when the Habs signed him last summer. It was obvious at the time that he was not an NHL prospect, and it was obvious at the time that Tokarski was significantly superior. It seems that some opinions may have changed this year within the Habs organization - they couldn't miss the obvious any longer, basically.

Until the Price injury and the inversion of Tokarski and Budaj in the playing order, it seemed like a slam dunk that Tokarski and Condon would be the duo in Hamilton next year, and that there was really not going to be any room for the inferior Mayer at all. That could still end up as the situation in Hamilton for next season. But the possibility of Tokarski supplanting Budaj as the Habs' backup has arisen now as well. But even if that happens, I think they would have looked for a veteran pro #3 guy rather than run Condon/Mayer on the farm team, had Mayer been willing to stay.

So pretty much in any scenario Mayer had simply just fallen out of the picture, on the basis of his inferior ability. We were happy when he went back home last year, puzzled when he was re-signed (esp. for 2 years) and returned this year, and are happy again to see him head back home again (presumably for good this time). FWIW. Boldly speaking for all of Habdom.

One additional note is that the Habs' goaltending supervision changed last summer when they hired Stephane Waite as the goaltending instructor. It may well be that his expertise ended up overruling whatever pre-existing opinion existed within the organization on Mayer after this season of observation. (And it may be his expertise behind the ascension of Tokarski as well.)

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote