HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

GDT: Stars @ Predators - 3.17.07

Old
03-17-2007, 10:27 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Grats to Modano on 503, and god I hope Vokoun is getting hot again.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:29 PM
RaiderDoug

Toots was going to get run and he defended himself. Good for him.

Better the Star get knocked out then we lose another forward to a charge.

Morono needs to get booed wherever he goes, no matter how many goals he scores.

Vokoun was great tonite, but something is wrong with his five-hole, that first goal was soft.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:38 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Predator View Post
I haven't seen a video of the incident, but from whats being said it sounds like Tootoo will get a suspension. Theres no need for suckerpunches in our game.

Anyway, good to see Nashville get back on track with a win.
madano has the puck and back passes it away.
toots completes a check, leveling him(no penalty called btw).
robidas comes charging to his stars defense.
toots sensing he has payback coming for the check spins and throws a punch at the incoming robidas and connects.
robidas basically skates into the punch(compounding the force of the blow).
toots is given a double minor for roughing and robidas is given a minor for charging(he just didn't get full value). had toots not connected what would the call have been?

toots didn't have time to think about wether to punch or not, it was that quick. just spin and punch after the check of madano.

as to suspension who knows. i have given up trying to second guess the new NHL. but toots did hit another player w/o dropping the gloves first and there was injury so i wouldn't be suprised to see a couple of games.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

no surprise here ... the NHL is going to review Tootoo's hit on Robidas per CBC's Hockey Night in Canada ... I bet he gets way less than Simon

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:01 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
no surprise here ... the NHL is going to review Tootoo's hit on Robidas per CBC's Hockey Night in Canada ... I bet he gets way less than Simon
If he gets anywhere near Simon's penalty, the NHL should fire Campbell and all those involved in the decision. Tootoo can be an absolute joke at times. And what he did was CLEARLY wrong. But anything more than single digit suspension is nothing more than politicking.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:15 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
If he gets anywhere near Simon's penalty, the NHL should fire Campbell and all those involved in the decision. Tootoo can be an absolute joke at times. And what he did was CLEARLY wrong. But anything more than single digit suspension is nothing more than politicking.
well nichol got 9 games for a blindside. since this obviously wasn't blindside......

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Stars_fan9

Update on robidas: He suffered a concussion. Was released from the hospital and will be re-evaluated in dallas on wednesday.

Stars_fan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:36 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars_fan9 View Post
I just don't get some things. Why were the fans booing modano? The guy is one of the most classiest guys on the ice and he sets an NHL record so what do the fans do? They boo hom every chance they gate and chat "Asshoooole." Just 2 months ago, Mark Recchi scored his 500th career goal on dallas ice and the fans and players of the dallas stars gave him a round of applause.
There are plenty of Nashville fans who vividly remember Modano's comments during the lockout. Comments that were directly pointed at teams and cities like Nashville.

The Preds fans might cheer a player like Recchi, much like they cheered Gretzky for his performance. But Modano doesn't deserve that despite with Dallas fans think.

Old
03-17-2007, 11:47 PM
The Sanchise

Hey congratulations from one team who has clinched a playoff birth to another!!!

You have a hell of a team and deserve it!!

The Sanchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:49 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBlueshirt View Post
Except that charging requires 3 strides, which never happened.

Really? Show me in the NHL rulebook.

Old
03-18-2007, 12:39 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by paille#1 View Post
Hey congratulations from one team who has clinched a playoff birth to another!!!

You have a hell of a team and deserve it!!
Aye, congrats on clinching your spot as well.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Nitrous Mafia

If Tootoo gets 9 or more games it will be BS.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:35 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Yea, Nichol's was bare-knucks to the chin. Tootoo was gloved and although unexpected, he was facing the guy. More of a reaction than a retaliation. However, it was bad - hope he gets no less than 4-5 games. And hope Robidas recovers quickly.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
There are plenty of Nashville fans who vividly remember Modano's comments during the lockout. Comments that were directly pointed at teams and cities like Nashville.

The Preds fans might cheer a player like Recchi, much like they cheered Gretzky for his performance. But Modano doesn't deserve that despite with Dallas fans think.
The reason everybody in my section started booing Modano (which they had not prior) was because he slammed Toots over the head with his stick during the melee...
Of all that happened in the melee....clean hard Toots check, Robidas charge, Toots shot to his mug.....THAT was what deserves a suspension more than anything else.

All that to say...hope Robidas is OK ....and congrats to Modano. And hell of a game to Toots.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:41 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I really don't see the problem with the Tootoo punch. The player was charging him with his hands up in Tootoo's face. The punch was a lucky over-the-top haymaker. We see this same situation play out several times a game, only with different results. How many times in scrums around the net do you see players doing this same type of thing? The only difference is Robidas thought he had a free shot at Tootoo's back and wasn't prepared for someone defending themselves.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:51 AM
AdsSabresRule

Tootoo...

Looking at the video, I think it was a reaction thing. He looks around and someones is coming up at him, and he 'reflexively' punched out. It almost looked like he really wasn't aiming (?) but cracked Robidas square. Yes, I think he probably did have a moment to drop the gloves (s), but you then have to assume that he is processing everything thats going on in that instant. Yeah, he'll get suspended. 4 or 5. The thing with him is that there are more people around the league that can't stand him, than there are people that are going to defens him and say its 'part of his game', and if it were almost any other player, they would not get suspended - or a lighter suspension than Tootoo will/might get...

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:07 AM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Grats to Modano on 503.
It's going to be interesting if Modano gets a suspension (and he clearly should) on a night when he sets a record.
You absolutely do not use your stick as a weapon and Modano clearly did that. That is why the fans were booing him and chanting at him. If the league does not penalize him for swinging his stick and hitting Tootoo with it, they are missing the boat.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:46 AM
5major

My guess is 3-5 games....Its just tough to justify turning around and cold cocking a guy...I know Toots was defending himseld, but they werent engaged prior to the punch...I know that Robidas was flying in there, but still, you cant just punch guys that are coming in to check you.....3-5 for sure....

5major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5major View Post
My guess is 3-5 games....Its just tough to justify turning around and cold cocking a guy...I know Toots was defending himseld, but they werent engaged prior to the punch...I know that Robidas was flying in there, but still, you cant just punch guys that are coming in to check you.....3-5 for sure....
That was not a check, there was no puck. Robidas was coming in to defend a star player, that is fine.....but for crying out loud when you are flying in to smack Tootoo late you might be aware that something might come back to you.
I don't like the punch either...but if Robidas had not been hurt nobody would be talking about it... but why no talk of the Modano stickwork anywhere? And do people not realize that is why he was getting booed?

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Hopefully an unbiased observation. Tootoo did react probably without intent to injure or anything like that, but punching a guy in the face/head with his glove still on is the problem. The glove in cases like this can be considered as much a weapon as a stick can. I don't really like Tootoo, but I think he's gotten in over his head a bit. He's not a big guy but given his agitator role he's going to get a lot of attention from bigger players and the other teams enforcers. It has a way of catching up with players who play his role. He knows he's a target so his reflexes are going to start taking over.

Old
03-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Paincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I love how fans with names like m0dan0rulzlol and starz4eva are crawling out of the woodwork and commenting on our fans.
I love how we are getting bashed on the main board. It's going to be real fun now next time theres a KC thread.

Anyway grats to the preds for getting the win against Dallas, and thanks to Detroit's loss to Vancouver we have taken back the division for the time being. Go Preds!

I don't know what to think about the Tootoo hit really. 5 games?

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:27 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Hopefully an unbiased observation. Tootoo did react probably without intent to injure or anything like that, but punching a guy in the face/head with his glove still on is the problem. The glove in cases like this can be considered as much a weapon as a stick can. I don't really like Tootoo, but I think he's gotten in over his head a bit. He's not a big guy but given his agitator role he's going to get a lot of attention from bigger players and the other teams enforcers. It has a way of catching up with players who play his role. He knows he's a target so his reflexes are going to start taking over.
So every time there is a scrum in front of or around the net and a guy throws an over-the-top haymaker that lands on someones nose there should be a suspension?

A gloved hand a weapon? I really don't follow the logic there. How would throwing off his glove before he hit him make it any better?

I really don't get all of the little girl whining going on. The guy was coming in to exact some kind of revenge of his own liking and he skated right into a punch. If you are going to attack a player after the play you damn sure better be ready for a fight.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
So every time there is a scrum in front of or around the net and a guy throws an over-the-top haymaker that lands on someones nose there should be a suspension?

A gloved hand a weapon? I really don't follow the logic there. How would throwing off his glove before he hit him make it any better?

I really don't get all of the little girl whining going on. The guy was coming in to exact some kind of revenge of his own liking and he skated right into a punch. If you are going to attack a player after the play you damn sure better be ready for a fight.

This isn't conjecture on my part. Previous incidents that resulted in injury (that is the distinction you are overlooking) take a look at how the player was injured. Sticks, gloves, helmets, heads, or even the bare hand can be considered weapons. The severity of the injury is always factored in. You may not like it, but there it is.

Old
03-18-2007, 11:50 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

By the way...

As someone that is in their 20th year playing hockey...

I'd take a shot to the face from a nice, padded glove over a bare knuckle blast, any day.

If Tootoo's glove had come off, Robidas(and Tootoo) are likely hurt a lot worse.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
By the way...

As someone that is in their 20th year playing hockey...

I'd take a shot to the face from a nice, padded glove over a bare knuckle blast, any day.

If Tootoo's glove had come off, Robidas(and Tootoo) are likely hurt a lot worse.

nmk, not trying to be confrontational here, but why do players drop the gloves and usually wait for the other guy to the same when they decide to fight? I always understood that not dropping the gloves was a sign of cowardice or disrespect (partially due to the greater potential for injury with gloved hands hits-- those things are pretty hard)??