HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2014 World Championship Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2014, 02:05 PM
  #126
phil162888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Schenn looks so much better with faster skill guys. If he isn't traded, may be time to try him with Jake if we get a winger for G
I agree find a winger for G and move Voracek down with Schenn and Simmonds

phil162888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 02:07 PM
  #127
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,260
vCash: 500
Voracek and Simmonds are both right wingers, putting them on the same line makes no sense.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 02:18 PM
  #128
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Voracek and Simmonds are both right wingers, putting them on the same line makes no sense.
Simmonds has no discernible skills that would make him any less effective on the left. As it stands, he's not terribly effective 5v5 on the right side either.

I agree Voracek should not be moved from the right side because he's so effective in transition with his speed on his off wing, but I'm not sure why shifting Simmonds would be a bad idea if other roster moves necessitate it.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 03:00 PM
  #129
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Simmonds has no discernible skills that would make him any less effective on the left. As it stands, he's not terribly effective 5v5 on the right side either.

I agree Voracek should not be moved from the right side because he's so effective in transition with his speed on his off wing, but I'm not sure why shifting Simmonds would be a bad idea if other roster moves necessitate it.
Sure, Simmonds may not be great at even strength but moving him to an unfamiliar position won't make that any better. I wouldn't do it.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 03:28 PM
  #130
renberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lewes Delaware
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
According to CBS, Ovechkin taken to the hospital with an apparent leg injury.

renberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 03:33 PM
  #131
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Read's two goals from yesterday.
The first on an assist for Coburn, wasn't it? Coburn and Tyler Myers on the PK; that's a pair of big boys.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 03:44 PM
  #132
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Sure, Simmonds may not be great at even strength but moving him to an unfamiliar position won't make that any better. I wouldn't do it.
Like I said, there's no real reason to believe Simmonds wouldn't be equally comfortable on the left side, though. His skill set isn't enhanced by playing on one wing or the other (like Voracek's is on the right).

EDIT: Also, he has played the left side before. And he obviously plays it on the PP, too. So it's not exactly foreign for him.


Last edited by hockeyfreak7: 05-18-2014 at 03:51 PM.
hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 03:51 PM
  #133
OgbertTheNerd
what
 
OgbertTheNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Like I said, there's no real reason to believe Simmonds wouldn't be equally comfortable on the left side, though. His skill set isn't enhanced by playing on one wing or the other (like Voracek's is on the right).
That's my thought, as well.

And sucks to hear about Ovi; hope it's nothing serious.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 04:18 PM
  #134
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The first on an assist for Coburn, wasn't it? Coburn and Tyler Myers on the PK; that's a pair of big boys.
Turris was the primary & Myers was the secondary. Coburn & Myers have been together at ES as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
And sucks to hear about Ovi; hope it's nothing serious.
It doesn't look/sound good. It hasn't been confirmed yet but initial reports are that it's a pretty serious knee injury.

Edit: Now they're saying it's not as bad as they initially thought. He's walking around & isn't leaving the team but will miss the next game.



Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-18-2014 at 04:59 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 09:37 PM
  #135
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Like I said, there's no real reason to believe Simmonds wouldn't be equally comfortable on the left side, though. His skill set isn't enhanced by playing on one wing or the other (like Voracek's is on the right).

EDIT: Also, he has played the left side before. And he obviously plays it on the PP, too. So it's not exactly foreign for him.
Do you realize how much tougher is is to place the off wing? Simmonds isn't skilled enough to do it.

He plays it on the PP? What when he's at the faceoff circle? He parks himself in front of the net and works behind the net.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 09:46 PM
  #136
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Do you realize how much tougher is is to place the off wing? Simmonds isn't skilled enough to do it.
It's not necessarily tougher at all. In fact, some players skill sets are extremely conducive for success on the off wing. I don't see anything in Simmonds's repertoire that would suggest he would have more success on one wing or the other, though.

And I'll reiterate: he's played the left side before (yes, 5v5).

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 10:06 PM
  #137
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It's not necessarily tougher at all. In fact, some players skill sets are extremely conducive for success on the off wing. I don't see anything in Simmonds's repertoire that would suggest he would have more success on one wing or the other, though.

And I'll reiterate: he's played the left side before (yes, 5v5).
You have to work on your backhand a lot more. It's tougher to get a shot off. It's tougher to move the puck on the breakout. It's not as easy as saying, 'hey we have too many RWs go take a few shifts on the left side.'

Some guys that play the off wing:

Kane
Jagr
Voracek
Nash
Ryan
St. Louis
Ovechkin
Sharp
Gaborik
Hossa
and so on...

No disrespect to Simmonds but he is no where near the pure skill level of those guys who can handle playing the off side.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 10:43 PM
  #138
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
You have to work on your backhand a lot more. It's tougher to get a shot off. It's tougher to move the puck on the breakout.
You're not necessarily on your backhand a lot more. When you have space, you can open up on your forehand. When you don't have space, you have easy access to make plays using the wall on your forehand. That also applies on the breakout.

And it's actually easier to get a quality shot off because you're shooting from the middle of the ice.


I've always been annoyed when people pigeon hole righties to the RW and lefties to the LW (eg, Adam Oates). That's not how it works. You don't have to be any more or less skilled to play one or the other. It just has to do with your particular skill set. With a guy like Voracek who thrives on puck protection, using his body, and using power moves to get the middle of the ice, the off wing is good. For a guy like Simmonds who really isn't particularly gifted in terms of pure skill, I truly don't believe his wing will make a difference.

And honestly, that may not even be true. His skill is driving the net. It's easier to drive the net and protect the puck from the off wing. If anything, my guess would be that it helps more than it hurts.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 11:30 PM
  #139
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
And it's actually easier to get a quality shot off because you're shooting from the middle of the ice.
...if you can get to the middle of the ice.

Your point is basically he doesn't do much on the right side so he couldn't be much worse on the left side. You don't know that. Just because he doesn't do much on the right side doesn't mean he wouldn't be a disaster on the left side. This team has a hard enough time getting the puck out of their zone and gaining entry into the offensive zone as it is. No reason to make things more difficult.

If you can find a top 6 winger with equal or less skill than Simmonds, playing his off side, please feel free to let me know. I can't think of one.

Berube isn't a coach afraid to play guys on their off wing. He plays Voracek, Read, Raffl, (and Rinaldo if you want to count him ). He doesn't play Simmonds there for good reason. Lavy didn't either.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 12:05 AM
  #140
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
...if you can get to the middle of the ice.
I don't mean literally in the middle of the ice. I mean on the LW, his forehand is on the inside rather than on the side of the boards giving him a better angle at the net.

Quote:
Your point is basically he doesn't do much on the right side so he couldn't be much worse on the left side. You don't know that. Just because he doesn't do much on the right side doesn't mean he wouldn't be a disaster on the left side. This team has a hard enough time getting the puck out of their zone and gaining entry into the offensive zone as it is. No reason to make things more difficult.
Not really. I'm not saying he wouldn't be any better or worse. I'm just saying he has no particularly strong skills that make him more suitable for one side or the other.

I also don't see it making things any more difficult. Like I said, I don't buy that it is any "easier" for a rightie on the RW.

I'm not saying it should be done. I'm just saying if other lineup decisions necessitate the move, it's not doomed for failure.

Quote:
If you can find a top 6 winger with equal or less skill than Simmonds, playing his off side, please feel free to let me know. I can't think of one.
Simmonds is quite a unique top six winger. I know it sounds like a cop out, but I truly don't believe there are any top six wingers with his particular skill set. Any comparison would be rough at best. Top six wingers are almost, by definition, more skilled than Simmonds is.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 01:07 PM
  #141
Maverick41
Registered User
 
Maverick41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hopefully a good showing this tournament can give him some confidence heading into camp this summer. He needs a bounce back year next year after a disappointing one last year.
Not sure how it will affect his career, but he did have a really goo tournament.
+/- isn't the most telling stat, but there is a reason why he is one of only two German players with a + rating.

He was at the tournament last year but saw very little ice time and looked out of place at times. This year he was so much better and his line turned into the first line over the course of the tournament and he was a big part of that. Good on the forecheck, strong along the boards. Very good two-way-game.
Whether that will everbe good enough for the NHL, we'll have to wait and see, but after his disappointing season in Adirondack I was pleasantly surprised to see him play so well.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 03:02 PM
  #142
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
Not sure how it will affect his career, but he did have a really goo tournament.
+/- isn't the most telling stat, but there is a reason why he is one of only two German players with a + rating.

He was at the tournament last year but saw very little ice time and looked out of place at times. This year he was so much better and his line turned into the first line over the course of the tournament and he was a big part of that. Good on the forecheck, strong along the boards. Very good two-way-game.
Whether that will everbe good enough for the NHL, we'll have to wait and see, but after his disappointing season in Adirondack I was pleasantly surprised to see him play so well.
Yeah I had him pegged as a potential dark horse for some call-up time this past season going into the year. The Flyers really didn't have many injuries this year anyway but he was pretty disappointing down on the farm so it wouldn't have matter if there was or wasn't because he likely wasn't getting a call.

He's found himself buried on the depth chart coming into camp this season. He's likely behind Akeson, McGinn, Cousins, Straka, & Alderson now so he's going to need a bounce back camp & season this year to likely get himself back in the graces with the Flyers brass.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 03:29 PM
  #143
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,877
vCash: 500
22 May, Thu 16:00 GMT+3 Chizhovka Arena Canada vs Finland
22 May, Thu 17:00 GMT+3 Minsk Arena Russia vs France
22 May, Thu 20:00 GMT+3 Chizhovka Arena United States vs Czech Republic
22 May, Thu 21:00 GMT+3 Minsk Arena Sweden vs Belarus

Is there any way to watch these games, or the finals on the weekend?

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 03:29 PM
  #144
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,783
vCash: 500
Schenn's third goal against Sweden the other day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Is there any way to watch these games, or the finals on the weekend?
Yes, NBCSN will be carrying every game from here on out most of them will be on delay though.

http://mensworlds.usahockey.com/news...rrer_id=752796


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-20-2014 at 03:35 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 10:04 AM
  #145
The Couturier Effect
Registered User
 
The Couturier Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
Holy ****.


The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 10:09 AM
  #146
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 500
That looked pretty dirty to me.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 10:12 AM
  #147
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 50
Who hit who? I can't read the names on my computer.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 10:13 AM
  #148
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 20,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Who hit who? I can't read the names on my computer.
Looks like Abdelkader (US) I can't tell the Czech player.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 10:15 AM
  #149
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Looks like Abdelkader (US) I can't tell the Czech player.
Thanks, I think the Czech player might be Sobotka.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 10:27 AM
  #150
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,192
vCash: 156
Reminds me of Carter on the Unspellable NJ Player in 2010.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.