HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Jessiman like McIlrath had a major knee issue early to deal with. Jessiman missed pretty much a whole year of college rehabbing it. He never really got his game back before he turned pro. His first two seasons Hugh spent considerable time in Charlotte--then in the ECHL. McIlrath has never been to the ECHL--even after coming off of kneecap displacement injury he stepped into the lineup halfway through 12-13 not fully 100% and played pretty well considering in the second half. This past year he improved off of that.

Jessiman had real balance issues on his skates. He eventually turned into an average AHL'er. McIlrath has some balance issues too. He's better than an average AHL player now--he is a good AHL'er. McIlrath plays the harder position. He's still a work in progress. Not expecting Dylan to make the Rangers out of training camp. I can see him called up to the Rangers next year if and when the need arises. When he does make the Rangers I expect he'll be bottom pairing for a while anyway.

Anyway I remember Jessiman in training camp--going into the corners being outmaneuvered and pushed off the puck by sometimes much smaller guys. I remember when Steve Downie schooled him in a fight--these were issues about balance more than anything. McIlrath needs to work on his edges a bit more but he doesn't have nearly the issues that Jessiman had. You don't want to go into the corners or get caught along the boards by McIlrath and the likes of Steve Downie would have got planted with a little cross over the spot where he died if he ever tangled with Dylan.
I'm pretty sure Jessiman's injury as an ankle issue, not a knee one, but I'm just nitpicking.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think everyone agrees about the relevance of that. However, the point of THIS thread is to track his development as a player, so the point in bold is irrelevant to this conversation.

McIlrath OT/flame wars used to give me migraines as a mod and admin. Now I can just ignore them if I choose.
You don't think this thread is about assessing our prospects in Hartford? It's a developmental league, all aspects of development should pertain to this thread.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You don't think this thread is about assessing our prospects in Hartford? It's a developmental league, all aspects of development should pertain to this thread.
It IS about assessing the development of our prospects in Hartford. That's what I said. It's NOT about management of the draft. A hypothetical discussion about what our NHL depth would look like had we taken some other guy rather than the guy we did isn't really germane.

It's just pain.
Old
05-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
It IS about assessing the development of our prospects in Hartford. That's what I said. It's NOT about management of the draft. A hypothetical discussion about what our NHL depth would look like had we taken some other guy rather than the guy we did isn't really germane.
You're right, it probably is best to discuss in the prospects thread, but its semantics, their play in Hartford/minors is directly linked to how they are progressing.

But I can see how a former mod would see that as chaos

Old
05-14-2014, 04:44 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Old
05-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I was thinking the same thing.

Old
05-21-2014, 04:36 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

possible team next season?

Old
05-21-2014, 10:08 PM
bmoak

Greenville's still in their playoff run. They're tied with in their Eastern Conference final series with the Cincinnati Cyclones 1-1. The Cyclones are the shared affiliate of Florida and Nashville and are loaded with 9 players drafted in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th round. While the Road Warriors have made the playoffs in each of their 4 ECHL seasons, they've never made the conference finals. Cincy has made the conference finals five out of the last seven seasons, going all the way twice to claim the Turner Cup. Greenville coach Dean Stork was a Cincy assistant for both of their Cup wins.

Greenville are coming off an 8-4 win where they scored five unanswered goals in the 3rd period, including three shorties. Greenville's getting balanced scoring led by the Hartford contingent, who are the top six scorers.

Rowe 4G10A14Pts in 14GP
Yogan 5G8A13Pts in 13GP
Nicholls 5G7A12Pts in 14GP
St. Croix 4G8A12Pts in 14GP
Vaive 6G4A10Pts in 12GP
Jean 5G4A9Pts in 11GP

Old
05-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Wennberg

Thoughts on whether or not JT Miller will be up with the big club next season?

Old
05-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Miller will make it. If Fast gains 5-6 pounds of pure muscle, so will he.

Old
05-22-2014, 12:51 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Any other NHL-ready guys? Maybe McIlrath, finally after 4 years. Or Skjei?

What about Lindberg?

Old
05-22-2014, 01:01 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Allen is closer to the NHL than either McIlrath or Skjei, though he has a lower ceiling than the two of them. But he could turn into another Stralman - a smart defenseman who does the little things right.

Old
05-22-2014, 02:21 AM
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Allen is closer to the NHL than either McIlrath or Skjei, though he has a lower ceiling than the two of them. But he could turn into another Stralman - a smart defenseman who does the little things right.
Agreed

Old
05-22-2014, 03:21 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Stralman is so underrated. While expectations of what type of defenseman McI will turn into is different, I understand that the ceiling for him is top 4D which is who Stralman is.

Old
05-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Not one person who is watching Hartford games thinks MCI=Jessiman. The rest need to shut up. If you don't watch a player and your opinion of him is vastly different than that of all those who do, then your opinion is very likely wrong.
QFT. People just see size and 1st round pick and a couple of injuries make that association, couldn't be further from the truth.

When McIlrath was drafted everyone knew he was 4 years away. A guy in his role, that plays the way he does, needs to be man strong before he can contribute in the NHL. My original guess was that he would need about 120-160 reps in the AHL before he can be a part time NHL D.

The Rangers have a guy that was brought along exactly the same way in Nashville in Kevin Klein. McIlrath isn't too far off, but defensemen need to play a mistake free game. Dylan is almost there... he will have another off-season to fully mature physically and should be tough to play against next year.

With all that said, the most NHL ready Defenseman in the farm is Conor Allen... but unfortunately he carries a $1.7M cap hit, so he will be an injury call up. Same with Dylan, depending on who is out. My gut tells me Dylan sees 20-30 NHL games next year.

Old
05-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Ola

Quote:
Miller will make it. If Fast gains 5-6 pounds of pure muscle, so will he.
Good point.

A player like Fast is in a position to improve a lot over the coming years if things fall into place for him. Looking at the age Fast is now, I clearly remember how Cally, Dubi and guys like that looked at the same age. Not to mention someone like Hagelin his first pre-season, when he was at least a full year older than Fast.

I wouldn't bet the house on it, but I definitely hope that Fast in the coming 2-3 years will establish himself as a very good NHLer. Somewhat like a Alex Steen type, in that mold. A Swedish version of Cally.

Old
05-22-2014, 09:31 AM
NYR Viper

Don't sleep on Matt Bodie either who was just signed from Union.

Old
05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
slipknottin

I thought by the end of the year the gap between Allen and mcilrath shrunk.

Mcilrath developed quite a bit IMO after getting back into it.

Allen's development stopped

Old
05-22-2014, 01:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

It certainly slowed. Understandable, though, being that he's in his first year out of the NCAA, where he played an average of 33 games per season over the past three years. To suddenly play 75 in one year can be tough on those guys. IMO, it's the biggest hurdle for a rookie professional coming from college to overcome.

Old
05-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Mikos87

Quote:

Tired. First time in his career he played more than 40 games in a season.

Big advantage of collegiate hockey is that the players have more time in the weight room to develop physically and keep the muscle mass on since they aren't playing every other night. Conor Allen came in physically developed and played really well as a result.

But the minutes just caught up to him at the tail end.

Old
05-22-2014, 01:44 PM
slipknottin

We should also keep in mind that Allen is just about a full year old than John Moore.

I'm starting to think his upside isn't all that far off from where he is now. A first line ahl DMan but maybe not an nhl player. Or at least not consistently

Old
05-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by slittin View Post
We should also keep in mind that Allen is just a about a full year old than John Moore.

I'm starting to think his upside isn't all that far off from where he is now. A first line ahl DMan but maybe not an nhl player.

Like many college players, he ran out of energy late in his rookie season. Let's see how he does next year. He is already a borderline NHLer and even a minor improvement will make him a top 6 player.

Old
06-04-2014, 12:38 PM
JermDubs

What are everybody's thoughts on Kristo this year? Any chance of getting some callups next year?

Old
06-10-2014, 05:22 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermDubs View Post
What are everybody's thoughts on Kristo this year? Any chance of getting some callups next year?
He's not good enough to play in the nhl.

Old
06-10-2014, 08:05 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
He's not good enough to play in the nhl.
It's not that he's not good enough--he's not good enough to play for the Rangers. And seriously we don't need another small forward.

Closed Thread