HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist/Montoya

Old
03-17-2007, 03:27 PM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

vCash: 500
Lundqvist/Montoya

I know this will be a touchy issue but:

My ultimate question is who should we trade in the offseason?

Henrik is my favorite player on the team, but it boiles down to who brings in the most value in a trade.

do we move lundquist and get a super package in return and than have Montoya in net next year or do we move montoya and get a lesser package of course but still have henrik in net.

With Montoya's turnaround in Hartford this year, it seems to me that he should be ready for hte next level. i understand he has no NHL experience just yet.

OleOleOleOleBureBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Nich

neither...you don't trade away an established nhl goalie to promote an ahl goalie, and you don't trade an ahl goalie if they wil have more value down the road.

and you know there is no hurry...what is al, 21? another season in the ahl won't kill him, ala ryan miller

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 03:33 PM
TheZherdev

why is there such a rush to trade montoya, hes not gonna get old any time soon. Lets assess how well he does at the nhl leval compared to lundqvist before we decide what to do.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
why is there such a rush to trade montoya, hes not gonna get old any time soon. Lets assess how well he does at the nhl leval compared to lundqvist before we decide what to do.
because a lot of people have no idea how to properly manage our prospects, and are way to impatient

Old
03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
mikesect424

Not saying we should move Al, but no one wants to see him get hurt, and lose all value. Murphy's Law was conceived by a rangers fan.

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
i think we should play montoya as a backuup next year and trade weekes and his huge contract. Who knows, maybe al is just as good as hank and we can play them in tandem. mabe al will be steallar against the devils everytime and we play him against them. i really hope we keep both and in the future rotate their games.

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Nich

except that weekes is a unrestricted free agent AFTER this season....

like i said....before.....

Old
03-17-2007, 04:04 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
except that weekes is a unrestricted free agent AFTER this season....

like i said....before.....
so do you think we shouldve traded him this season before the deadline and called up montoya then?

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post
I know this will be a touchy issue but:

My ultimate question is who should we trade in the offseason?

Henrik is my favorite player on the team, but it boiles down to who brings in the most value in a trade.

do we move lundquist and get a super package in return and than have Montoya in net next year or do we move montoya and get a lesser package of course but still have henrik in net.

With Montoya's turnaround in Hartford this year, it seems to me that he should be ready for hte next level. i understand he has no NHL experience just yet.
Chances of trading Henrik Lundqvist. 0.0 percent

Chances of Trading Montoya. 7.25% unless he returns Brad Richards

03-17-2007, 04:23 PM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
neither...you don't trade away an established nhl goalie to promote an ahl goalie, and you don't trade an ahl goalie if they wil have more value down the road.

and you know there is no hurry...what is al, 21? another season in the ahl won't kill him, ala ryan miller
Agreed.

First, Lundqvist is untradable, at least for the time being. There is NO way the Rangers will trade away a top, young NHL goalie with an unproven, yet potentially great, AHL goaltender to take over. Not to mention that at the moment Lundqvist is arguably the most popular player on the team.

Second, I think we should have some faith that Montoya has what it takes to be an NHLer. Personally, I think Lundqvist is our goalie of the future, but thats a different topic of discussion. If Montoya is able to step it up when he gets here as Henr's back-up, it can only help us. We will get a lot more for an NHL proven goalie, whether it be Al or Henri, than a goalie that has only played in the AHL. Because right now, there is no way Henri is getting traded. If anyone is going in the next 6 months, its Al.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Would you trade Henrik for who?

Malkin?

The pick that gets you Tavares?

Lecavalier?

I think I'd pass

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 04:41 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
how much time do the rangers have before Montoya is eligable for UFA?

of course you gotta see what you have in the kid at the NHL level. if he really proves he belongs next season then his trade value is where you want it to be.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 04:43 PM
eco's bones

I wouldn't trade either unless we get something really really big back. Henrik is IMO one of the top 5 goalies in the league. Montoya is going to be at least a legit No. 1 but we have to get him to that point. Next year he should be on the Rangers and playing 30-35 games. Look at his AHL stats. .919 save %. 2.13 GAA. He's won 2 out of every 3 games he's played since he turned pro and considering Hartford has maybe the youngest most inexperienced team this year that's quite an accomplishment. This guy could be Lundqvist or Ryan Miller or DiPietro if given the time. Keep them both.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 04:46 PM
NYR469

there is zero chance of lundqvist being moved before montoya even plays in the nhl. we have every reason to believe that montoya will be the real deal as well, but until he is in the nhl and proves that he can be the #1 guy you really can't compare the 2....goalie is the most important position and lundqvist has shown he can be a #1 guy. eventually i think montoya will show he is a #1 guy too, but lundqvist remains untouchable until that happens.

as for moving al, we don't have to make a move yet so the only way he gets moved is if its a complete no brainer that returns us a franchise player...if you can move him for a guy under 24 that could step in and be on our 1st line next year then its something that you consider, but its gotta be a no brainer...

the most likely scenario is for us to see a lundqvist/montoya tandem next year...and then depending on how well montoya does and if he pushes the envelope for more playing time you make a decision based on that.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 04:48 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
how much time do the rangers have before Montoya is eligable for UFA?

of course you gotta see what you have in the kid at the NHL level. if he really proves he belongs next season then his trade value is where you want it to be.
montoya will be a ufa at age 27 just like everyone else...so they have 5 or so years before then.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 05:04 PM
broadwayblue

Let's get Montoya up to the big club and see how he does as the backup for a year. Then maybe next summer we deal him for a nice package. If he needs another year to get his value up, so be it. If he proves he's capable of being a legit #1 he'll fetch a solid return. Either way he'll probably be playing for a different team by the start of the 2009-2010 season.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 05:18 PM
nyr7andcounting

I want Lundqvist.

The question is when do we trade Montoya and do we give him some time in an NYR uniform before we do.

I wouldn't mind trading him this summer. Let's say a guy like Lecavalier becomes available and the other team wants a young goalie as part of the package. In that case I'd move him.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 05:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Neither.

Before you can trade Montoya you have to:
1) Make sure we have a solid roster backup. (UFA? = gamble?)
2) Make sure we have a solid backup in the system.
3) Sell high. It's ridiculous to trade this kid at his current value.
4) Make sure we are solving our organization's biggest problems ( franchise center, top line forwards, elite PPQB (all young)).

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Edge

Personally I'd rather see Montoya as the backup next season and not have to spend cap space on a veteran.

As for trading that really depends. Avoiding the who will be better comments the reality is that young unproven goalies rarely bring back good value so trading Montoya just really doesn't make a lot of sense right now.

Now obviously if a great deal comes along you trade Montoya because you're not taking a huge risk in going with Lundqvist as your guy, but the odds are that a killer deal isn't going to come along and you'd essentially be moving Montoya for the hell of it.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 05:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The fear is if the Rangers sit on one of the goalies too long,they will lose value.Just like what happened with VBK and the future United States congressman from CT

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 05:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Personally I'd rather see Montoya as the backup next season and not have to spend cap space on a veteran.
Montoya isn't cheap.His base salary is nearly $1 million and his cap number with the bonuses is $1.8 million

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:34 AM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The fear is if the Rangers sit on one of the goalies too long,they will lose value.Just like what happened with VBK and the future United States congressman from CT
The reason the Rangers couldn't trade VBK for value was because there was an expansion draft coming up and the Rangers could only protect one goalie. Obviously, that won't be a problem anytime soon.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:44 AM
WheresBarnaby

The Idea of trading a 2nd year goalie who's playing amazing, is nothing short of laughable. So I say Montoya goes, if someone does. I doubt he goes either, though, we still have cap room for any other additions. We're not missing too much right now, the kids are all looking promissing, but who knows it's still early.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 09:38 AM
alkurtz

For once we're dealing from a position of strength.
The idea of trading Henrik is absurd: franchise goalie talent wise and in actual performance, perfect NY personality and temperment, only 25.......he's not going anywhere.

At the same time, Montoya has clearly outgrown the AHL and is ready for the big time. You just can't keep him down on the farm anymore w/o hurting his development. He has to be the backup next year, playing 25 or so games, spelling Henrik, ready if there's an injury.

At the trade deadline you access the situation and begin to see what he could return if traded. You don't rush into it, or be hasty....you are opportunistic. You only consider trading him if you get a veteran goalie (in another trade) in return. You only trade him for an elite young player who addresses a major shortcoming. If that isn't available, you hold on to him till the off season or till the following trade deadline. At some point he will have to be moved, but there is no hurry.

Again, as brought up previously, Florida is a strong possibility because of his Cuban-American background. Belfour will be gone, David Shantz may or may not develop and they have lots of young talent.

I'm looking forward to a Henrik/Al combo next year.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:55 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Montoya is going to have show an awful lot in order to convince me that we should move Lundqvist. The Hockey Rodent has been keeping track of Lundqvist numbers since mid Janaury and they are astounding. To paraphrase Ro's chart, from mid January to the first few days of February Lundy posted a 1.63GAA, .943 save %. He followed that up by posting a 1.64GAA and a .933 save % from the first week of February to the third week of February. Finally from the last two days of February to yesterday's game he posted a 1.52GAA and .944 save %. Over that period from mid January to yesterday he has a 12-7-5 W-L-T record.

Take into consideration how many of the goals against have been deflected past him by his own players! The numbers would be even more significant. Now I know that a 2+ month streak is not a career make. But like the draft, you have to have the players to develop them in order for them to make it. There has been criticism of Lundqvist in some circles for not holding on to some of the 2 goal leads and not making the "bigger saves" on some of the deflections and game winning or tying goals. It may, or may not be deserved. I don't know. My opinion is that we wouldn't be in many of those games to begin with without Lundqvist play to start with. I also took note that the goalie he is been held up to pulled himself last night after a couple of deflections were scored on him. Thank goodness that Lundqvist has more resolve than to let a couple of deflections get him down. Imagine if he pulled himself everytime after the dozen and a half that have been defelcted past him over this stretch!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote