HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you justify our MVP?

Old
03-18-2007, 02:05 AM
in the hall

vCash: 500
How do you justify our MVP?

I read this stat on another board and it floored me..
Marian Gaborik: the Wild are 32-8-4 with him in the line up and 7-16-3 without.. if that doesn't define MVP for that team I don't know what does

I think Henrik is our MVP this season.. and since he's a goalie W/L are the focus but I'm sure most people that have watched this team consistently know what the deal is there.. certainly deserves a much better thought then what his stats would indicate

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:10 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Marian Gaborik: the Wild are 32-8-4 with him in the line up and 7-16-3 without.. if that doesn't define MVP for that team I don't know what does

I think Henrik is our MVP this season.. and since he's a goalie W/L are the focus but I'm sure most people that have watched this team consistently know what the deal is there.. certainly deserves a much better thought then what his stats would indicate
Henrik is definitly our most valuable player, he not only keeps them in the game night in and night out, I also believe the team feels much more confident when hes in net. and thats what you need right now, no doubts, as a player youve got to be confident and know what you are capable of doing as a team.
if you lose that confidence youll be much more hesistant when you step on the ice..

on a sidenote... Im sure this team has some pretty good stats with Malik in the lineup and they had a very bad stretch when he was out.. maybe he is our MVP

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:10 AM
Geogaddi

Henke takes it easily. Despite that W-L record, its clear just how much he keeps us in games. The Boy can't score the goals, so he keeps us in for our team to hopefully step up. 22 games lost by 1 goal this year. Its a Damper.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Henke or Jagr for me...

I know people love to hate Jagr, but take him away and we're nowhere close to where we're at now. Even if his scoring is down he demands constant attention from the other team, freeing up guys like Straka to excel. We're not .500 without him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:32 AM
Balej20*

Henrik by far and away. It's not even close.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:57 AM
rickyrod

Henke, no question. If we ever get a competent defense corps that doesn't do most of the scoring on him, he'll put up Marty numbers.

Outside of Henke, we definitely missed Ortmeyer earlier in the season, especially on the PK. Not that he is anywhere close to MVP, but it's worth noting that his game brings a key ingredient to the lineup and we do miss it when it isn't there. However, for all of the chances he makes with his hard work, he's gotta start burying a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
The Boy can't score the goals
He definitely proved that point earlier in the season. I hope he doesn't ever try again.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:03 AM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
Henke.

Runners-Up---> Jagr, Straka, Shanny

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Henrik, and its not even a competition.

Secondly id probably pick Sean Avery.

i know its hard as hell to pick a guy whose played like 15 games for your team, but the attitude as a whole changed the second this guy took the ice. his value to this team is immeasurable

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Lundqvist and it's really not even close at this point.

03-18-2007, 10:32 AM
nickrOck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Henke or Jagr for me...

I know people love to hate Jagr, but take him away and we're nowhere close to where we're at now. Even if his scoring is down he demands constant attention from the other team, freeing up guys like Straka to excel. We're not .500 without him.
freeing up straka to excel.? he exceled for about a month.. or maybe it was that point streak he had.. he's been invisible from when the streak end up to the shoulder injury in my eyes..
i don't even consider jagr, his attitude to me this season seems like a miserable mope on most nights, his heart on the ice at times is very questionable to me.. his lack of enthusiasim on back checking and line changes is a joke.. his sitting out of shootouts, the refusal to believe the PP was just not working.. his insistence on playing with his boys when the team could'nt score and we need to spread the offense.. the guy's obviously not the mvp here by a landslide.. how many of his assists are secondary assists.? so lets not make him out to be the greatest playmaker in the league either..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
lundqvist has stood on his head for this team since the all star break.. any other goaltender and this teams toast.. every night he gives them a chance, i'm pretty sure i read somewhere he has the best #'s post all star break of any goalie.?

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Jaromir Jagr

Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:58 AM
NYROrtsFan

Agree.. You take Jagr away and this team is nowhere close to what they are. Same with Henrik.

Would give it to Henrik but only slightly.

Jagr does some frustrating things but don't let that cloud your mind. He still causes most of the offense we see.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:21 PM
broadwayblue

Lundqvist by a large margin. Jagr has had an ok season, but he hasn't been putting the puck in the net.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:32 PM
CrossCheck

Not even close... With an average goalie in net, Rangers are not even close to making the playoffs.

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:55 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Not even close... With an average goalie in net, Rangers are not even close to making the playoffs.
And you guys with John Grahame are?

I agree. Hank's certainly been the difference. If anyone should be the MVP outside of him I would go with Straka. He's played great this year and actually tries for 60 minutes.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:36 PM
NYR469

its not even close...without lundqvist we'd be talking about who we are gonna pick with the 3rd overall pick in the draft. the team can't score and he has held us in the race...it is beyond laughable that anyone could even suggest that jagr is even comparable to lundqvist this season

our biggest weaknesses are offense and the pp, the 2 areas that jagr is supposed to carry us...his failure to put the puck in the net is arguably our biggest problem. so not sure how that makes him the mvp...unless you are arguing that how bad we played due to his sucking proves how important it is for him to play well

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

let's be honest, no team is making the playoffs with an "Average" goalie and no team is winning the cup with a "good" goalie. You need an outstanding goalie to win the cup. I've never heard of a team winning the cup in recent years who hasn't had a goalie who played out of this world in the playoffs.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
freeing up straka to excel.? he exceled for about a month.. or maybe it was that point streak he had.. he's been invisible from when the streak end up to the shoulder injury in my eyes..
i don't even consider jagr, his attitude to me this season seems like a miserable mope on most nights, his heart on the ice at times is very questionable to me.. his lack of enthusiasim on back checking and line changes is a joke.. his sitting out of shootouts, the refusal to believe the PP was just not working.. his insistence on playing with his boys when the team could'nt score and we need to spread the offense.. the guy's obviously not the mvp here by a landslide.. how many of his assists are secondary assists.? so lets not make him out to be the greatest playmaker in the league either..
Take Jagr off the team and we have no offense whatsoever, and Henke would have to pitch a SO every night for us to win. I don't see the moping and lack of heart that other people see, so that's a moot point in this argument. The shootout argument is silly- he's not good in them and knows it (neither Crosby nor Ovechkin are good in shootouts either, so it's not uncommon). You want Shaq shooting the game winning free throws? I also don't really know what you mean when you say he insists on playing with his boys... he's been open and receptive to a whole bunch of linemates this season so I don't know where you get that.

I'm not going to argue that Jagr is the league MVP or even necessarily our MVP, but he's up there on our team. Again, take Jagr off the team, and who picks up the offensive slack? Henke is the MVP, but people are so quick to dismiss Jagr because of his perceived lack of heart and moodiness.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Gotta be Henrik...but I'd have to give runner up to Straka/Shanny

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
The same Shanny who scored 1 ES goal in 23 games and hasn't played in a month?

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:35 PM
ThirdEye

Lundqvist

Jagr

I agree that without Jagr's 60 or so assists this season we would be nowhere. Shoulda, woulda, coulda whatever. This guy is still very important no matter how you look at it

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Fletch

It is Lundqvist...

he has been there in crunch time, since the beginning of 2007, and has given this team every chance to win in most games. Even when he wasn't playing well it seemed as though the games were in a situation where the next goal may win it. He's been fantastic.

Much of the rest of the team have been wildly inconsistent. Straka looked like he'd score 50 goals...Shanny too...For me, it's Lundqvist...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Don't really see any other case. Sean Avery has changed the club's complexion but this team has not been scoring and our extremely low GAA is the reason this team is playing better hockey. Has there been a greater awareness on defense and more of a defense first mentality? Certainly, but Lundqvist still seems to make a handful of superb saves a game.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:41 PM
geisenNYR

I agree 100% with Henrik as our MVP. He is the only reason that we are still on the playoff hunt. His numbers since Christmas are unbelieveable, and the record is deceiving because we couldn't score for him. We were losing games 1-0, 2-1. and 2-0, because we couldn't score. And the games that we won by 1 were because Lundqvist was incredible. Not to mention all the extra points we got from his excellent play in the shootouts. With out those points we would be in 11th or 12th not eighth.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Ola

Quote:
Wow, this guy must be to Minnesota what Malik is to us!

(Couldn't resist)

Lundqvist or Jagr. I would split it.

I mean, without Jagr, I don't think we would have finnished last overall.

Without Lundqvist we probably would be dead last.

But at the same time, Jagr gives us potential. Without him we wouldn't even dream about gooing anywhere in the PO's for example.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote