HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan , a rising star on the broadway?

Old
03-18-2007, 01:20 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
im aware of that practice in the nhl, but why would they even do it?
and when does it start? in the juniors right before a player gets drafted so he might move up a spot in the ranking?
what is the point of it?
It's true, all organizations at all levels seem to do it so it's certainly fooling no one. I can't imagine any practical reason for jacking up the height of a guy in the media guide by two inches, it has absolutely no impact on the actual game. Never really thought about it before Alfie, I always just accepted it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
and when does it start? in the juniors right before a player gets drafted so he might move up a spot in the ranking?
what is the point of it?
I'm not sure what the point is. It's completely ridiculous.

Callahan's size, 5'11", is not a lie, since I look him about right in the eye.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:25 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I'm not sure what the point is. It's completely ridiculous.

Callahan's size, 5'11", is not a lie, since I look him about right in the eye.
Cally does look like hes around 5'11...but he definitely has to add some more weight (10 pounds) to be even more effective. He is still very skinny as an NHLer(though heavier then Prucha)..but of course thats something that will change over a offseason..he's still so young and I can see him putting on the pounds.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Cally does look like hes around 5'11...but he definitely has to add some more weight (10 pounds) to be even more effective. He is still very skinny as an NHLer..but of course thats something that will change..he's still so young.
Yep, it comes with age and an NHL workout regimen. I remember Simon Gagne didn't really fill out until the lockout year when he was 24. It's kind of what's scary about the kids who come into the league and tear it up early (Crosby, Ovechkin, J Staal), they aren't even close to hitting their peak physical condition yet.

Old
03-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
what is the point of it?
Personally, I'm a short hockey player, only being 5'5''. I'd actually like the media guide to be kind to me and list me as 5'8''. It just would make me feel better. Sometimes, I think that's the only reason they do it.

As for Gionta being 5'3'', that's not entirely true. I went to school with him for a year (even skated on the same ice as him for try outs) at BC. He's my height, so he's atleast 5'5''. But yeah, he's small.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:32 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's true, all organizations at all levels seem to do it so it's certainly fooling no one. I can't imagine any practical reason for jacking up the height of a guy in the media guide by two inches, it has absolutely no impact on the actual game. Never really thought about it before Alfie, I always just accepted it.
yea true, it doesnt really matter at all. and to be honest, i dont really care that much, but nonetheless itd be interesting to know why it is the way it is. maybe a scout or some of the hf staff might help us out, if not.. well i wont be losing any sleep because of it.
but gionta.. 53 makes you wonder what he could do if he was a few inches taller.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:34 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Personally, I'm a short hockey player, only being 5'5''. I'd actually like the media guide to be kind to me and list me as 5'8''. It just would make me feel better. Sometimes, I think that's the only reason they do it.

As for Gionta being 5'3'', that's not entirely true. I went to school with him for a year (even skated on the same ice as him for try outs) at BC. He's my height, so he's atleast 5'5''. But yeah, he's small.
ah thanks.. 53 seemed kind of odd to me.. i knew he was small and you see it on the ice, but i wouldve never in my life guessed 53

so i guess 55ish might be true

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:53 AM
in the hall

Quote:
ah thanks.. 53 seemed kind of odd to me.. i knew he was small and you see it on the ice, but i wouldve never in my life guessed 53

so i guess 55ish might be true
I was told Gionta was 5'3.. so 5'5 is probably accurate.. I do remember seeing it during a game that Steve Kariya (Paul's little bro) is 5'3.. speaking of Paul I remember he told the interviewer on ESPN that they measured him wearing his skates to get him listed at whatever height he is listed at

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
I was told Gionta was 5'3.. so 5'5 is probably accurate..
5'5" is probably right, NHL.com has him listed as 5'7" and it's usually a 2 inch exaggeration.

Old
03-18-2007, 04:42 AM
Edge

Callahan tonight showed exactly why I think he can be a very good third line player.

I don't know if I see him as a second liner, but I def. believe he's progressing towards being the kind of the third line player this team has sorely needed for a long time now.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:45 AM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Callahan tonight showed exactly why I think he can be a very good third line player.

I don't know if I see him as a second liner, but I def. believe he's progressing towards being the kind of the third line player this team has sorely needed for a long time now.
Cally is going to develop into a solid second liner for sure...by the time marty, nyls, jags etc have their contracts run out, cally will be a top 6 forward, a 30+ goal scoring machine

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 09:34 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I agree...it was great to see him play well but we see too many "emotional" threads based on game day play ....

As Bill Parcells would say ..."lets not get out the anointing oil" ...
I agree...I amthe cautious type anyway as a Ranger fan. Anyone remember Mike Allison? Many Ranger fans thought he'd be one of those special players and his career peaked in his first season...it was all downhill and injuries from there!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:58 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Those guys are 5'6ish.. Gionta is actually 5'3.. I'm just saying there's no way Cally is 5'11.. more like 5'9ish
I don't know where you're coming up with this... I've met Gionta and stood next to him. he's a small guy but theres no way in hell he is only 5'3. He is right about at 5'7 as he is listed in most places.

I've never met Callahan, but he doesn't look that small out there. 5'11 seems right on to me. I wonder if we can dig up some old Central Souting numbers on him. They measure every player before the draft and their numbers are fairly accurate (rankings are another story). He's grown since then, but I'd be shocked if they have him listed at anything under 5'10.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The best thing I saw was he scored hard working goals.

Who wouldn't love to go into the next season with Avery-Cullen-Callahan as our third line.

On a side note, how good has Cullen been?
That has the potential to be a very good 3rd line. On the side note to the side note, haven't we said for a while that if you look and play Cullen as a 3rd line player (with time to be a pointman on the PP), he looks good. If you look and play Betts as a 4th line player, he looks good too. When you play Cullen as a 2nd line center and Betts as either a 2nd line center or a 3rd line center, their level of play gets exposed.

Right now, I think that enthusiasm for Callahan needs to be tempered. The B's rolled over and have no goaltending. However, the kid clearly belongs and a 3rd line like the one that you mention would be an excellent choice. Follow that up with a 4th line of Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer, and you are looking at two very good bottom-2 lines.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That has the potential to be a very good 3rd line. On the side note to the side note, haven't we said for a while that if you look and play Cullen as a 3rd line player (with time to be a pointman on the PP), he looks good. If you look and play Betts as a 4th line player, he looks good too. When you play Cullen as a 2nd line center and Betts as either a 2nd line center or a 3rd line center, their level of play gets exposed.

Right now, I think that enthusiasm for Callahan needs to be tempered. The B's rolled over and have no goaltending. However, the kid clearly belongs and a 3rd line like the one that you mention would be an excellent choice. Follow that up with a 4th line of Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer, and you are looking at two very good bottom-2 lines.
I agree TB. I really like him, and he got allot of intriguing aspects.

But in all honesty, Boston really sucked.

I still think Callahan even must show a bit more to even prove that he should be here with everyone healthy.

First of all there are his size aspects, he is a risk defensivly along the boards, and I am not sold on that a line with him, Cullen and Prucha would be able to work right now, they might but there is also a risk that they could get in some trouble defensivly.

Callahan also are showing that he can take care of the opertunitys he get, but its questionable how much he can create against a team that plays well. Like we saw with Prucha, scoring from players like Ryan and Petr comes in stretches, and when Prucha weren't scoreing he had to take several stepps back in order to get the fundamentals gooing. Callahan are kind of at the same level as Prucha were early in the season, he can play well without scoring, but got the size against him and aren't perfectly comfortable in all aspects of the game yet.

In 2-3 years Callahan will be a really good 2-way winger, with some offensive upside, 3rd line type/2nd line complimentary type. Callahan got the hustle, he got the hockey sense, he got the workethic, he just got very good instincts defensivly. But he have almost been to dominant offensivly in the AHL, and instead of getting his checking game in order, he found himself in a sniper role.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Callahan also are showing that he can take care of the opertunitys he get, but its questionable how much he can create against a team that plays well. Like we saw with Prucha, scoring from players like Ryan and Petr comes in stretches, and when Prucha weren't scoreing he had to take several stepps back in order to get the fundamentals gooing. Callahan are kind of at the same level as Prucha were early in the season, he can play well without scoring, but got the size against him and aren't perfectly comfortable in all aspects of the game yet.

In 2-3 years Callahan will be a really good 2-way winger, with some offensive upside, 3rd line type/2nd line complimentary type. Callahan got the hustle, he got the hockey sense, he got the workethic, he just got very good instincts defensivly. But he have almost been to dominant offensivly in the AHL, and instead of getting his checking game in order, he found himself in a sniper role.
you can name any possible flaw to Callahan's game, but in the end it will not matter because he has heart and passion which cannot be measured. IMO Callahan makes a team like BUF mid-season and goes on to develop into a decent rookie winger. People look around the league and see rookie's with decent stats; what they don't understand is those points most likely come in short stretches like you say. Right now, 3 games without a point may not look good. But when the guy is given a full time position and does not have alot of responsibility heaped on his shoulders(IE. a quick demotion should he not produce immed.) then he'll have his fourth game where he gets two like yesterday. Just keep the kid around, he's not looking out of place at all.

Anyone else notice Cally speeds up when he has the puck? I was amazed at the game how quickly he's able to react and then attack after retreiving the puck.

Old
03-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Anyone else notice Cally speeds up when he has the puck? I was amazed at the game how quickly he's able to react and then attack after retreiving the puck.
Yeah, he kind of got deceptive speed which is un-usual for a small kid. He probably got really strong thighs, in relation with his weight. He got a great jump.

And I would love to see him hangaround. Though wouldn't be suprised if there were some bumps in the road, and it would also defenitly not change the expectations I got on him in the future.

Like I still got the same expectations on Prucha as I did when he were on pace for 50 goals last season. I still feel that Prucha might turn into a lite version of Daniel Alfredssson, that he might be able to add a play making aspect to his game and become a solid 1st lineer.

Old
03-18-2007, 04:17 PM
dank

Quote:
Ryan Callahan, one of the AHL’s outstanding rookies in 2006-07, brought the luck of the Irish to Madison Square Garden on St. Patrick’s Day and netted his first two NHL goals in the New York Rangers’ 7-0 win over Boston.

Callahan, who turns 22 this Wednesday, was playing in just his fourth NHL game.

A fourth-round pick by the Rangers in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Callahan ranks third among AHL rookies with 35 goals for the Hartford Wolf Pack this season. He has added 20 assists for 55 points in 60 games with Hartford, and played in the 2007 Rbk Hockey AHL All-Star Classic, scoring the game-winning goal for PlanetUSA with 3.3 seconds left.
Four AHL grads dent NHL twine for first time

http://www.theahl.com/news/league/in...rticle_id=7569

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
im debating whether or not to get a girardi, dubinsky, or callahan jersey. which on e should i get?
Callahan

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 05:15 PM
dank

Dubinsky

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Balej20*

Brendle

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post

The goals notwithstanding, Callahan played an involved and physical game. He also seemed to be very solid positionally.

His play is something we never saw from Jamie Lundmark.

I'm not sure his future is as a third liner. But he should start there next season.

03-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Fletch

Callahan keeps moving...

that's the difference between he and Lundmark. Either he's aggressively pursuing the puck, or he's backchecking, or he's moving in position to keep the offensive play going. The kid works hard and showed last night that he has a bit better hands than many had thought. I'm not going to get too excited over this kid just yet as he's sprung up on us this season (good numbers last season in juniors, but he was an overager), but I love his progression. If he ends up being a third line guy who can score 15 goals, then great. Would love to see if he can play the PK.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:47 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that's the difference between he and Lundmark. Either he's aggressively pursuing the puck, or he's backchecking, or he's moving in position to keep the offensive play going. The kid works hard and showed last night that he has a bit better hands than many had thought. I'm not going to get too excited over this kid just yet as he's sprung up on us this season (good numbers last season in juniors, but he was an overager), but I love his progression. If he ends up being a third line guy who can score 15 goals, then great. Would love to see if he can play the PK.
What you are basically saying is that Callahan has had to work for everything he's gotten, whereby Jamie thought he was entitled. Lundmark's work ethic which was suppose to be his hallmark never materialized in the NHL.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The goals notwithstanding, Callahan played an involved and physical game. He also seemed to be very solid positionally.

His play is something we never saw from Jamie Lundmark.

I'm not sure his future is as a third liner. But he should start there next season.
Yeah, Callahan is pretty quick, he got a brain, he got a good nose for the net.

Lundmark got a decent skill-level, is completly braindead, and have kind of lost a step after his knee problems. Jamie wanted no part in becomming a good defensive player, he played what 2 years on checking lines in the NHL and didn't learn anything. If he had worked extremely hard to learn the defensive and checking aspects of the game he would have had a decent future in the NHL. He couldn't get into his head though that a offensive star like him needed to learn the basics of the game.

Seriously though, think back at the Lundmark days. Jamie went to the press right away when he were played on a 3rd/4th line and said stuff like "I am a player who fits on the top 2 lines, I don't belong on a checking line".

I think the competition we got among the kids will itself turn these kids into "A students".

Imagine if we didn't have any competition at all, then someone like Korpikoski might start sulk about beeing forced to spend time in the A or something. How can he do that now when he is outscored there by Callahan, and Callahan then goes up to the NHL and is a instant hit. Someone like Bourret can look around him and only find kids his age who are working really hard and producing more then him, he won't have any problem understanding what it will take for him to make it. Imagine if we had a young Lundmark comming up right now, and he would have seen the hard work everyone put in, how kids like Callahan, Korpikoski and co really took pride in dooing well in all aspects of the game.