HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Attn: Andy Murray fans

Old
03-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

vCash: 500
Attn: Andy Murray fans

Nice article here:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6168

includes much evidence that players like him a lot
other news: he turned down the NYI job

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:00 AM
PrivateFubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentient Meat View Post
Nice article here:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6168

includes much evidence that players like him a lot
other news: he turned down the NYI job
Thanks, it's an interesting article.

PrivateFubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:01 AM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
I also appreciate the flag. Andy Murray is a good coach and a good man, but I don't exactly pick up "much evidence that players like him" from this. Non-sourced third hand info from an Eklund site is the equivalent of hearsay.

The most interesting thing I picked up from this article is that he lived in a hotel for his ENTIRE tenure in LA. For a man that is, if nothing else, meticulous, that seems incredibly odd as well as non-commital.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:16 AM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Yes, that is a bit odd in a Howard Hughes sort of way.

I do think AM is an effective and likable coach. I just think his message gets old and tiresome after awhile. He was pretty affective in LA, when he first came in. But things went downhill after 2-3 years.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:04 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
Yes, that is a bit odd in a Howard Hughes sort of way.

I do think AM is an effective and likable coach. I just think his message gets old and tiresome after awhile. He was pretty affective in LA, when he first came in. But things went downhill after 2-3 years.
Hmm, and I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't his message as much as the personnel. It was something that Lombardi thinks/thought was a problem, and I wonder how many "bad apples" may have ruined the bunch. "Character" was somthing that Taylor oddly enough never seemed to take into consideration with a lot of his deals.

I don't think we'd ever see DL sign a guy like Palffy, or trade for Allison, but he'd try and find 100 Deader's. Hell, he didn't even want Demitra, and he's not that bad compared to the sulking Allison or the introverted Ziggy.

I think the fact that AM was able to get out of those teams what he did just goes to show what a good coach his is/was.

03-18-2007, 04:06 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Hmm, and I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't his message as much as the personnel. It was something that Lombardi thinks/thought was a problem, and I wonder how many "bad apples" may have ruined the bunch. "Character" was somthing that Taylor oddly enough never seemed to take into consideration with a lot of his deals.

I don't think we'd ever see DL sign a guy like Palffy, or trade for Allison, but he'd try and find 100 Deader's. Hell, he didn't even want Demitra, and he's not that bad compared to the sulking Allison or the introverted Ziggy.

I think the fact that AM was able to get out of those teams what he did just goes to show what a good coach his is/was.
I'm sure it's a little bit of both. I'm sure the message got stale after awhile, that's just part of pro sports. Murray is definately intense and that's going to wear on the players after awhile. And in the past I think there might have been enough guys in the locker room to keep the guys who were unhappy with Murray in check. But last year I think there were enough guys who weren't happy with Murray (Roenick, Avery, Robitaille for example) that were able to get to the players who might have been indifferent about Andy and undermine the whole thing.

You definately make some good points about character issues and it's always interesting to watch a new GM come in and make changes, bring in their guys, get rid of others. I agree with you that Lombardi would likely have never traded for Allison. Another thing Taylor never seemed to care about was injury status of players. Taylor seemed to collect injury prone guys. Murray pushed the players hard and that could have been a factor in the injuries. But even with the bad injury numbers, it still didn't stop Taylor from going out and trading for guys of questionable durability. That's not a good combo either.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote