HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New hockey bag

Old
05-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Teamrussia

vCash: 500
New hockey bag

We're developing a new hockey bag at the moment and would like input from the community.

First question: How much would you pay for a hockey bag that could dry wet gear in 30 minutes using the heating and air conditioning systems found in hotel/home/office?

An attachment connects the heating register to the bag, which channels warm air through a collapsible hose into the bag and out through a charcoal filter to reduce smell.

HockeyBag.jpg

Second question: What features would your ideal hockey bag have?

Last edited by Teamrussia: 05-20-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Teamrussia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Blueland89

I like pockets for my skates

Blueland89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 01:31 AM
Teamrussia

Thank you for your input, we welcome all comments.

Last edited by Teamrussia: 05-21-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old
05-21-2014, 02:18 AM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

I like having a pocket to put things in, like tape, wax etc.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 10:53 AM
AIREAYE

OP, are you aware of these? http://www.drylocker.ca/

Are you planning something better than this? Lighter? More mobile? More durable?

I've sold a lot of bags, and most people just want a simple, non-flashy and durable bag. Many also prefer accessories pockets and a few prefer independent skate pockets.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 12:25 PM
damack

Have you considered potential damage to the heating/ac unit due to restricting the air flow?

I'd rather have a bag with pockets for accessories, skates and take my stuff out and dry it in my rocket dryer.

I can't see how you would have decent airflow around the equipment that's stuffed into a bag to properly dry it.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Teamrussia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
OP, are you aware of these? http://www.drylocker.ca/

Are you planning something better than this? Lighter? More mobile? More durable?

I've sold a lot of bags, and most people just want a simple, non-flashy and durable bag. Many also prefer accessories pockets and a few prefer independent skate pockets.
I am aware of them and my reply to your question is yes. Our product will be better than the drylocker.

Here are some features of our bag:

Made from Cordura Nylon
30 Minutes to dry gear
One mesh pocket (for skates/tape,wax,etc...)
One nylon pocket (for the attachment)
Straps made from nylon webbing
Air-proof to prevent smell

What are your thoughts on these features?

Old
05-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Teamrussia

Quote:
Originally Posted by damack View Post
Have you considered potential damage to the heating/ac unit due to restricting the air flow?

I'd rather have a bag with pockets for accessories, skates and take my stuff out and dry it in my rocket dryer.

I can't see how you would have decent airflow around the equipment that's stuffed into a bag to properly dry it.
After extensive testing we have concluded that our product will not cause damage to heating/ac units.

These are the steps you have to do for each respective product:

Rocket dryer:
1. Take out the gear from your bag (which causes terrible smell to enter your home)
2. Put in the rocket dryer
3. Remove gear from the rocket dryer and put it back into your hockey bag

The rocket dryer is not portable and dries gear in 90 minutes.

Our bag:
1. Connect our bag to a register using a light-weight attachment

Our unique grate maximizes air flow through the bag allowing gear to dry in 30 minutes.

Old
05-21-2014, 06:43 PM
MattGTI

Strong, durable, zippers.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 07:42 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamrussia View Post
I am aware of them and my reply to your question is yes. Our product will be better than the drylocker.

Made from Cordura Nylon
30 Minutes to dry gear

Do you have a working product or a demonstration video on a website up?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 01:45 AM
hyster110

Quote:

Made from Cordura Nylon
30 Minutes to dry gear

i have tried a similar bag from shock doctor and found it just didnt get the job done despite multiple air cycles. i have the rocket dryer for the winter when it gets to -30 but other than that i have found that leaving your gear to air out naturally is the best.

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 01:46 AM
hyster110

Quote:

Made from Cordura Nylon
30 Minutes to dry gear

also how would it be air proof when your pumping air into the bag, it has to go somewhere

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 01:56 AM
vexXed

With all my previous bags I find that there is never enough stitching for the hand straps connecting to the bag itself. Over time the threads always break and I have to do my own stitching to reinforce it. Is triple or quad stitching too much to ask for?

Other things I like -

Separate compartment for helmet with soft liner. Don't want the visor getting scuffed with the other gear even though it is in a helmet bag already.

At least 2 pockets - one for jerseys, socks and soft stuff. The other for harder things like skate sharpener, sock/leg tape, water bottle etc. Water proof liner so leaks don't enter the main compartment.

Big zip liners and zippers. I notice these don't break as often as the smaller ones. They also handle better when opening/closing.

Wheels - some people don't like it while others do. Just offer the option to have them. Don't make the wheels too small and see that they are decent quality.

Collapsible carry handle (if bag has wheels) - don't make the handle in a round shape like I am holding a pen. It gets uncomfortable. The more comfy shape is the one which is somewhat half round half flat. The flat part is the part you are actually pulling.

Reinforced areas that typically take wear. I've had those big brand name bags that don't last long at all. I then got a Torspro bag which I noticed had a reinforced area at the bottom in between the wheels. This part literally collapsed with my Easton one and I was dragging a V shaped bag along the ground... So far this Torspro has lasted the longest and I would get another one for sure.

As I don't play enough to want to have my gear dry in 30 minutes, this feature would be cool for players that travel or are playing in whole day tournaments etc.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Been using the Rocket Sports Dryer for a while now, so I thought I'd chip in a little here.

It's good for folks without space, but airing out yields equivalent or better results.

The warm air is simply not enough to get rid of the bacteria in the equipment. Exposing it to the warm air for more than 3 hours curved my equipment up slightly, so that's not advised either. Keeping the gear inside the dryer also seemed to allow the remaining bacteria to flourish - which isn't great either.

It's also not suitable for stuff like skates or helmets.

The most ideal method is to leave your gear unstrapped outdoors with a fan blowing at it.

Eventually, you'll need to wash your gear.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Teamrussia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Do you have a working product or a demonstration video on a website up?
Yes, I sent you message.

Old
05-22-2014, 08:22 AM
Teamrussia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
also how would it be air proof when your pumping air into the bag, it has to go somewhere
You won't have to deal with the smell in your car after games/practices.

With other bags, even if you zip them up the smell will still come out of the bag.

Old
05-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Teamrussia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
With all my previous bags I find that there is never enough stitching for the hand straps connecting to the bag itself. Over time the threads always break and I have to do my own stitching to reinforce it. Is triple or quad stitching too much to ask for?

Other things I like -

Separate compartment for helmet with soft liner. Don't want the visor getting scuffed with the other gear even though it is in a helmet bag already.

At least 2 pockets - one for jerseys, socks and soft stuff. The other for harder things like skate sharpener, sock/leg tape, water bottle etc. Water proof liner so leaks don't enter the main compartment.

Big zip liners and zippers. I notice these don't break as often as the smaller ones. They also handle better when opening/closing.

Wheels - some people don't like it while others do. Just offer the option to have them. Don't make the wheels too small and see that they are decent quality.

Collapsible carry handle (if bag has wheels) - don't make the handle in a round shape like I am holding a pen. It gets uncomfortable. The more comfy shape is the one which is somewhat half round half flat. The flat part is the part you are actually pulling.

Reinforced areas that typically take wear. I've had those big brand name bags that don't last long at all. I then got a Torspro bag which I noticed had a reinforced area at the bottom in between the wheels. This part literally collapsed with my Easton one and I was dragging a V shaped bag along the ground... So far this Torspro has lasted the longest and I would get another one for sure.

As I don't play enough to want to have my gear dry in 30 minutes, this feature would be cool for players that travel or are playing in whole day tournaments etc.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Old
05-22-2014, 12:08 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
Strong, durable, zippers.
This, and once again, this. Cannot be stressed enough. Every, and I mean EVERY bag I've had the zippers are the first to break, even with no pressure put on them. VERY frustrating.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 07:56 PM
rh71

I have always left my zippers open. Why do you zipper anything closed? Curious.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 08:46 AM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I have always left my zippers open. Why do you zipper anything closed? Curious.
Travel. So nothing falls out. Keep everything in there where it should be.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote