HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR goaltender question

Old
03-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
NYR goaltender question

I want to ask a serious question here in hopes of getting a straight-forward and honest answer, so please spare me the smart alec and snappy(hostile) responses.

My question (in two parts)...Realistically speaking, how soon will Chris Holt get a shot at actually making the big club and what are his chances of actually being able to play up with the big club?Please take only into consideration (for now) who the Rangers have in their system whether they're with the Rangers or Hartford or Charlotte and do not include goaltenders that the team MIGHT be looking to pick up via free agency or in the upcoming draft.

This was a question that was actually posed to me recently that I couldn't give a good reply to so I'm seeking some help here. Thanks in advance.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:02 PM
FLYLine24*

He won't. And zero

He is not a NHL goalie and Montoya is obviously way, way ahead of him.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:27 PM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
It seems that someone would need to be traded in order for Chris Holt to have any realistic chance at cracking the lineup.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

His shot at making the Rangers looking at whats infront of him TODAY?

Very small

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:58 PM
hlundqvist30*

The fact that Valiquette is ahead of him speaks volumes.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Ola

Oilers Chick- I know exactly what you are talking about with the responses, you ask something on a board that aren't you home, and you get 30 responses on everything but about what you really asked.

Though, with Holt its very easy to say zero, none what-so-ever.

I haven't seen Holt in the AHL in a long time, but I've heard report recently that he had struggled some in the ECHL. He is in over his head at the AHL level.

Holt is a great character, really funny and easy gooing. The type that just makes everyone around him have their corners of the mouth closer to their ears all the time. And he is really young too. I know personally how that is, I played on a men's team when I were 16, even guys who never jokes otherwise will joke with a kid so much younger. Their are no prestige.

I know Renney and co loves having Holt around. There is always pressure at this level, and having a really gooffy kid, who knows he is just there in case of emergency and for whom its a just a tremendous expeience, in the middle of the lockerrrom can really help at times.

Holt can develop into a decent AHL goalie, but in the end I don't think he got potential to make it to the NHL. Could see him hanging around in the org for a while though, atleast as long as Renney is around.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Levitate

Holt can play really well sometimes...he did have a good streak last year with the pack in the playoffs. but his consistancy just isn't at the level needed to be a good, reliable AHL goaltender, much less NHL goaltender at the moment.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:44 PM
MrAlfie

slim to none, in my opinion he could consider himself a very lucky man if he gets a regular spot in the ahl

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Holt can play really well sometimes...he did have a good streak last year with the pack in the playoffs. but his consistancy just isn't at the level needed to be a good, reliable AHL goaltender, much less NHL goaltender at the moment.
Yea, last year he came up clutch when Montoya went down with the injury in the playoffs. But he is just bad most of the time, or at the least way too inconsistent.

Even if ECHL numbers are pretty brutal:
42GP : 3.26 GAA : .895 save %

Hell, Alex Westlund numbers are at least respectable at that level
21GP : 2.79 GAA : .916 save %

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 09:29 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

at best he'll be a backup. Weekes won't be around after this season I don't think.

Montoya will probably be traded either this offseason or after next season. I can't see the Rangers having 2 star goalies. Lundqvist will be here his whole career and Montoya will be shipped out hopefully to the West for some good prospects. Valiquette is 30 yrs. old so he's not going to develop much anymore. So either Valiquette or Holt as of now I see as the future backup unless the Rangers sign some other journeyman goalie to like Weekes sometime down the road.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
2 Franchise goalies in Montoya and Lundqvist
1 Depth goalie in Valiquette
In other countries, Weekes would see jail time for stealing $2 million for his 14 games this year (4-6-2)... he's gone.

I see Holt next season either as a ECHL starter or AHL back-up/co-starter... and possibly an NHL back-up emergency call-up as he was last year at most. Long-term, I think he's bound for the minor leagues... I think he left college WAY to early, his game is still very raw... I wish him all the best.

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Balej20*

Holt the Fort...He's too good for the NHL.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Fish

I disagree with those that flat out dismiss Holt's chances of making the NHL. I don't foresee him being a starter, but there's a chance that he could be a backup. The challenge will be timing and how he progresses.

At this stage he is 5th on the depth chart of Rangers goalies. Two of those goalies will be UFAs this Summer, and depending on who the Rangers get, Holt may move up to be #4 in the organization next season.

He would then likely need an injury (or a drop in form of another goalie plus improvement in his form) for him to become the starter in Hartford.

In terms of his NHL prospects, I would think you're probably looking at 2 years minimum and possibly three years before he'd get a serious chance as a backup if he manages to provide the form that would warrant such a look.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
He won't. And zero

He is not a NHL goalie and Montoya is obviously way, way ahead of him.
about sums it up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I disagree with those that flat out dismiss Holt's chances of making the NHL. I don't foresee him being a starter, but there's a chance that he could be a backup. The challenge will be timing and how he progresses.

At this stage he is 5th on the depth chart of Rangers goalies. Two of those goalies will be UFAs this Summer, and depending on who the Rangers get, Holt may move up to be #4 in the organization next season.

He would then likely need an injury (or a drop in form of another goalie plus improvement in his form) for him to become the starter in Hartford.

In terms of his NHL prospects, I would think you're probably looking at 2 years minimum and possibly three years before he'd get a serious chance as a backup if he manages to provide the form that would warrant such a look.
Yep, people wrote off LaBarbera too because he wasn't "consistant" enough to even stay in the AHL his first several years as a professional. Then he got the opportunity to prove everyone wrong when Blackburn was unable to play in Hartford due that freak injury and turned himself into a player with an NHL contract (please remember everyone that Larbarbera is only playing in the AHL because the Kings are unwilling to lose him on reentry waivers).

Either way, it's too early to give up on Holt.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:44 AM
o0goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Yep, people wrote off LaBarbera too because he wasn't "consistant" enough to even stay in the AHL his first several years as a professional. Then he got the opportunity to prove everyone wrong when Blackburn was unable to play in Hartford due that freak injury and turned himself into a player with an NHL contract (please remember everyone that Larbarbera is only playing in the AHL because the Kings are unwilling to lose him on reentry waivers).

Either way, it's too early to give up on Holt.
But Labarbera would still be behind both Lundqvist and Montoya, and on par with Valiquette (hence they split time when both were in Hartford two years ago and had almost identical stats, with Valiquette's actually being slightly better). So he's not even close to an NHL goalie on our roster with Weekes on there too. It's great for Labarbera to get a chance in the NHL, but the Kings are FAR from deep in net and even they decided to send him down. Calling him an NHL goalie is a bit of a stretch. And he is better than Holt, so it's even more of a stretch to call Holt a possible NHLer, as nice a person as he may be.

On a more positive notw for Holt, I thought he was an excellent color guy for the Wolfpack broadcasts last season when he wasn't dressed, and I could see him doing a great job broadcasting when he decides to retire from playing the sport.

o0goals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Steve Valiquette is signed for next season-$635,000.He is making $600,000 this season-$617,500 cap #

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 06:40 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Lundqvist is a group II.He is line for a new contract.Ryan Miller got 3 years/$8 million and he took Buffalo to the game 7 of the east finals to get that contract.Lundqvist's base is $817,000 but with his bonuses the cap number is $1,879,500.Even if the Rangers give Lundqvist Miller money,it's only $800,000 more because of Henrik's bonuses in the entry level contract

Al Montoya is signed for next season-$984,200 base/$1,834,200 cap w/bonuses

Valiquette is signed-$617,500 cap #-one way contract

Holt is signed-$541,667 cap #

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 07:53 AM
eco's bones

The LaBarbera comparison is a good one. He has the potential for that. I don't ever really see him as a starting goalie. He would work well in New Jersey where Brodeur will get 75 games a season--otherwise right now he's an AHL goalie at best.There is still time but I don't think he has much of a future with us--if he makes the NHL I see him making it with someone else as their backup.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Longshot at best.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0goals View Post
But Labarbera would still be behind both Lundqvist and Montoya, and on par with Valiquette (hence they split time when both were in Hartford two years ago and had almost identical stats, with Valiquette's actually being slightly better). So he's not even close to an NHL goalie on our roster with Weekes on there too. It's great for Labarbera to get a chance in the NHL, but the Kings are FAR from deep in net and even they decided to send him down. Calling him an NHL goalie is a bit of a stretch. And he is better than Holt, so it's even more of a stretch to call Holt a possible NHLer, as nice a person as he may be.

On a more positive notw for Holt, I thought he was an excellent color guy for the Wolfpack broadcasts last season when he wasn't dressed, and I could see him doing a great job broadcasting when he decides to retire from playing the sport.
You're over-rating Valiquette. Until this season he was never played in more than 35 games as a professional in North America (he played 40+ games in Russia last season). He was not the starter the year he shared time with LaBarbera in Hartford--he played in 35 games as opposed to LaBarbera's 59 games and has never played in a playoff game for Hartford (LaBarbera played every minute in the playoffs). Valiquette is also over 3 years older than LaBarbera, yet has played in only 10-11 NHL games, LaBarbera has already appeared in over 30.

LaBarbera has already surpassed Valiquette in his career and it's still possible that he will become a regular backup in the NHL--the only reason why he hasn't been recalled by the Kings is he would have to be placed on re-entry waivers and the Kings were unwilling to risk losing him. Valiquette is just another stopgap in the Ranger system, who has been the beneficiary of Weekes' injury to get his callup. He won't be the starter in Hartford next year and he won't be the backup for Lundqvist (and if he is, that means Lundqvist will start over 70 games).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
GOMEZ+DRURY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
at best he'll be a backup. Weekes won't be around after this season I don't think.

Montoya will probably be traded either this offseason or after next season. I can't see the Rangers having 2 star goalies. Lundqvist will be here his whole career and Montoya will be shipped out hopefully to the West for some good prospects. Valiquette is 30 yrs. old so he's not going to develop much anymore. So either Valiquette or Holt as of now I see as the future backup unless the Rangers sign some other journeyman goalie to like Weekes sometime down the road.
srry I dont see montoya being traded..why cant a tandem of two goalies work? and also STAR goalie... dont u think thats a little premature to be calling montoya a STAR at the NHL level already? the tandem of miller and biron worked...until the sabres needed to trade him due to their injury riddled roster... i could see montoya being lundqvists backup for a few years and see if he really is a star.

GOMEZ+DRURY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Edge

He's got his work cut out for him, but a lot will really depend on whether Montoya is playing in the NHL next season. With him out of the picture in Hartford it'd really make a difference in regards to opportunity.

As for his talent, too many people are willing to dismiss him and he's not to that point yet. He's a bigger goalie who is going to take longer to get a good read on, but there have been glimpses.

It's been mentioned but he reminds me a lot of Labarbera both in what I see now and what his upside could be if he puts it all together. Holt has a lot of work to do, but he's also the type of player who could become an NHL backup in his later 20's.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
I want to ask a serious question here in hopes of getting a straight-forward and honest answer, so please spare me the smart alec and snappy(hostile) responses.

My question (in two parts)...Realistically speaking, how soon will Chris Holt get a shot at actually making the big club and what are his chances of actually being able to play up with the big club?Please take only into consideration (for now) who the Rangers have in their system whether they're with the Rangers or Hartford or Charlotte and do not include goaltenders that the team MIGHT be looking to pick up via free agency or in the upcoming draft.

This was a question that was actually posed to me recently that I couldn't give a good reply to so I'm seeking some help here. Thanks in advance.
Right now I say slim and none. The problem I see with him is consistancy. Sometimes he looks greats, other times he looks like a bar league goalie, no offense Gump! I see the NYRs keeping him around for depth. You never know with keepers, he could be a late bloomer ala Giacomin or Bower. The NYRs like his size.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote