HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux scored his first NHL goal tonight....

Old
03-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I have a personal philosophy about that, how do some players who appear to struggle and then all of a sudden blossom to become a solid player in Knuble's case and a bonafide NHLer in Armstong's case. Understand that I am not talking about elite players. Generally speaking, I hold that the difference between most players comes down to opportunity, confidence, the player's own and the confidence that a particular coach shows or is preceived to show to the player. That is the key in my opinion.

When you look at most players and why we like or dislike them it comes down to personal preferences, whether it is you or me or the coach or coaching staffs. Why has Renney shown such patience with Hossa? Here in our own organization is a prime example of what I am talking about. On the flip side is Immonen. To a lesser degree Prucha. Knuble left us, goes to Boston puts up similar numbers his 1st year and then got quality ice time and gained the confidence and became an NHLer and a scorer. So much of playing involves confidence. Some players make a mistake and they are benched, sat out or sent out. Yet a another player with very similar skill sets makes the same mistakes and they get chance after chance. It is all about perspective.
Personally I think it all comes down to the pieces falling in the right places.

You could take 100 players with similar careers similar to Knuble's up to his breakout and 90 of them stay nice third players. 10 of them figure it out like Knuble did. Same with Armstrong.

To me it just happens sometimes. Hockey is also a weird sport where some players start of their careers great and burn out, others pick it up later in life, etc. etc. You have to be careful though because it's a fine line. You ultimately play the odds and percentages and while everyone likes to believe they'll find the next Knuble or Armstrong the reality is that most teams tend to get a little lucky because the odds just aren't good enough to dedicate those kind of recourses to every play in that area.

Making a hockey player is like learning math. Sometimes it all just clicks and the one thing that doesn't make a lot of sense is what does it for you. It's what makes prospect watching so much fun, no matter how good you are at it you'll never be perfect.

I've had players I was spot on with, and as a whole my track record is pretty dang good. But let me tell you I could also give you a list of guys who I was sold on who bombed and a list of guys I wasn't sold on who made me look like an idiot. It's what keeps me interested.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:34 AM
pyattrocks*

If you followed this team for a long time you would realize the Rangers have no clue what they are doing with prospects. So to say Giroux is a career AHL player is simply idiotic. I heard the same thing from a ton of Rangers fans about Ekman. As some pointed out here, Armstrong. I can guarantee you Helminen will be thought of as a career AHL by many here soon and he will go to another team and become a good NHL player. The Rangers just don't get it.

pyattrocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 08:13 AM
eco's bones

A little perspective with Giroux. This is a 26 year old just getting his first 2 NHL goals but playing for one of the weakest organizations depth wise in the league. Can he become a real NHL player? Maybe--but expecting him to become a bonafide NHL player is a bit much and there was no point in keeping him with the glut of prospects we've moved into the system in the last couple seasons--and we have another bunch coming next year. As for Helminen I can see him making it some day--but more as a checking line player. Immonen is more the point producer and Dubinsky is a younger kid with much more size and potential. It looks also like Pyatt in the near future is going to make some noise--or maybe even Russell or Olver. Some Hartford players might make it with us and some might make it with other teams. That's the way it works for everyone else too. We just need to make sure we keep the best ones.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyattrocks View Post
If you followed this team for a long time you would realize the Rangers have no clue what they are doing with prospects. So to say Giroux is a career AHL player is simply idiotic. I heard the same thing from a ton of Rangers fans about Ekman. As some pointed out here, Armstrong. I can guarantee you Helminen will be thought of as a career AHL by many here soon and he will go to another team and become a good NHL player. The Rangers just don't get it.
Ekman, after bouncing around with THREE NHL teams finally struck gold in San Jose but soon was moved because outside of 20 goal, didn't do much of anything else. This year strikes me as no different.

The Rangers essentially moved a player with a similar career arch to Jan Hlvac for a younger forward. Didn't work out, but hardly a move that represents a lack of vision.

Giroux is now 26 and also with his third NHL organization and has scored all of 2 goals. Don't know who I necessarily would've taken him over and when I see the kids in the system including Dawes, Callahan and others I especially don't see who I'd take him over.

Armstrong was a career AHL journeyman who played for no less than 3 organizations and looked like a dozen other AHL/bubble NHL players. He played in a Swiss league, rounded out his game and finally at the age of 29/30 made the leap to the AHL. The huge payoff? A nice 10-15 goals and 30-45 points on some pretty mediocre Kings teams.

Sorry but that doesn't keep me up nights and a player finally making the NHL at the age of 30 also doesn't strike me as a "prospect who got away".

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote