HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars president 'sick' of Predators' overall attitude

Old
03-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Olaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
ha I didn't even know he said that..hahah

**** him then...I have to agree now. Mind you, I do agree with Modano's comments, but Nash should give him the finger before they honour him.

My apologizes then.
Thanks for being slightly less of a *****. Regardless of if you agree with Modano's comments or enjoy his obvious on ice talents....what he said and his actions even Saturday will not bring him any favors in this city....nor should it.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
Do you have any proof of this or are you just assuming we're all rednecks who go to a game to watch fights? We've never heard that one before. I think if you'd ever come to this board (aside from this one time to troll) that you'd realize Nashville fans are just as knowledgeable as any other team's fans.
I'm not trolling at all.

I never once said all fans don't know the game, but in general, Nashville fans are green. I'm glad you guys are into the game, but overall, no one in Nashville knows anything about hockey, let alone the NHL.

It's the equivalent of the Vancouver Grizzlies in the NBA. Sure there were the odd person that followed the game, but most people didn't know or care about the NBA.

Don't get insecure about this, it's only my opinion.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I never once said all fans don't know the game, but in general, Nashville fans are green. I'm glad you guys are into the game, but overall, no one in Nashville knows anything about hockey, let alone the NHL.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Just saying why wouldn't a NHL team do something for one of the best in the game? And then people on here agree with their apathy. Modano is a class act, stud. He's been around forever and he's a yank to boot.

No offence, but most Nash fans don't know squat about the game and it's a shame he had to score in Nashville when most other cities would honor this guy.
Why is it up to Nashville to honor the guy after what he said.
Why didnt Dallas do its own job and send a Marketing rep along wtih the team during this period knowing eventually Modano would set the record and it might be away from home. Sure they asked for the mesh from the net the goal was scored on but did they provide a marketing package to the predators, did they even send out a memo?

hell even NHL.com only has a tiny link to a story about modano and his goal/record

The League cant properly honor modano why should it rest on the predators to do so?

I suppose the Red Wings should do something for him since he is a Livonia boy and the Wild should too since he was a Minnesotian for many years........come on this is assinine
Its whining and politiking pure and simple

Modano is a class act, he was only stating his opinions on what would be better for the game. It doesnt make him right and it doesnt make him a fan favourite for the die hards in Nashville. He'll get his red carpet, a painting and a charitable donation in his name when he gets back home to Dallas

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I'm not trolling at all.

It's the equivalent of the Vancouver Grizzlies in the NBA. Sure there were the odd person that followed the game, but most people didn't know or care about the NBA.

You contradict yourself with every post. I would also like to direct you to my earlier post where I specifically asked for this type of response to be curtailed. Your dangerously close to trolling...

03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
FlameofTheWest

Modano and the Stars success in Dallas is directly related to Nashville even getting a team. They showed that hockey could exist in the south and im sure positively affected Nash getting a franchise. The guy is a all time great and deserves to be cheered for such a milestone. Even after a bitter and hard fought series the EDM fans still gave Stevie Y a standing O as he left the ice knowing that they were witnessing greatness for maybe the last time. Its just the correct thing to do and thats pretty much widely known through out the hockey world. The same things have been done for Messier, Gretz, Yzerman, etc. If he had scored this goal in Detroit, New york, EDM, Calgary, it wouldnt have even been an issue gaurenteed.

FlameofTheWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:36 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
You contradict yourself with every post. I would also like to direct you to my earlier post where I specifically asked for this type of response to be curtailed. Your dangerously close to trolling...
I'm not trolling. What's the point of the message board, if anyone that replies and doesn't agree with you is considered trolling.

Last year, when I had a different HF account, on the 'Canes board there was a thread saying 'Can we repeat?' I replied with "No." And got a warning for trolling.

Anyway, I agree that Modano shouldn't have gotten a celebration from he Preds after reading what he said.

Old
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
I'm not trolling at all.

Bottom line is, you can't come to a hockey message board with arguably the most knowledgeable hockey fans in a city and claim they don't know ****. We do, and you'd be surprised at how many "normal" fans know a lot about the game. There are a lot of Northern implants in Nashville, which was part of the reason for considering Nashville for a franchise in the first place. We are not as dumb as you think - and we aren't insecure - we are just damn tired of having to hear **** all the time.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I'm not trolling. What's the point of the message board, if anyone that replies and doesn't agree with you is considered trolling.

Last year, when I had a different HF account, on the 'Canes board there was a thread saying 'Can we repeat?' I replied with "No." And got a warning for trolling.

Anyway, I agree that Modano shouldn't have gotten a celebration from he Preds after reading what he said.
Lets be honest here: You came to our board and have stated numerous times that Nashville fans do not know anything......There is no need for that, especially when many of the posters on this very board will prove the contrary.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

That's true, I do apologize. I can see a lot of people bringing that up.

Old
03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

some things i don't like about the article.

it shows the dallas GM complaining, but it does not show him say "i contacted NSH management in advance to discuss if modona scored the record goal there. we had agreed they would recognize it and they didn't!"

if dallas thought it meant so much to the game of hockey they should have gone all out to insure somethign would be done. perhaps they did, and if they did i think that should have been highlighted in this article. becuase if dallas asked them to do it, and brought it to NSH attention it could happen in their arena i think NSH did the game a disservice. if dallas left it 100% up to NSH to honor mike then oh well, your bad not NSH. as another poster said, not their responability.

modano is one of the first players to cry to the press and media about a dirty hit if he or a teammate gets hurt, yet i rarely have seen him let up from hitting a guy from behind. i am less taken with mike a sa face of the game than i am with stevie Y or sakic (both who had games stopped on away ice the last two years to be acknowledged by fans)

that said, i think its great for the game whenever a moment like this happens. especially given it was a USA player on USA soil. you want to promote the game in the US, how about a moment for sports shows to highlight and for young kids to see and say "i want that to be me one day"

i would have liked to see NSH honor it, and i think its sad they didn't. but i don't blame them for it. i blame the NHL and Dallas for not getting on the ball and assuring that wherever it happened something was not set in place in advance.

the NHL should have people paid to insure this kind of thing is highlighted. but i guess thats why they are not even the 4th sport in the US anymore and can't market their way out of a paper bag.

when the dallas GM cries like this in public he only points out his own short comings and those of the league. while he may have a valid point in dallas paving the way for their to be a NSH franchise to say so openly and attack them looks petty and lame.

again, if it meant so much to the dallas organization maybe they should have made sure it happened. but i guess they were more concerned with the return of morrow, their new captain to care about looking after modano. yeah i said it, if dallas was so concerned with honoring modano maybe they would not have yanked his C for all the media and hockey people to speculate on.

look in the mirror before attacking someone else.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
I'll tell you what I got sick of:

the championship diving by the Stars through the first 2 periods of that game.

and having to listen to everybody being so sorry for poor Modano during intermission reportrs all night.

Did anyone catch HNIC's Behind The Mask?

The guest said that Tootoo should be suspended, you cant have guys going after people like MOdano because he is a star player. People like him and he sells tickets.

I guess you can forget the fact that people in Nashville like Tootoo and that he sells tickets. Hrudey commented that Tootoo doesnt even know where the puck is 85% of the time he is on the ice, yet failed to mention that Toots opened the scoring for the game.

Geez... dont touch Modano, throw him a parade, suspend Tootoo, people in Nashville are stupid and will never understand hockey..... it will never end.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:16 PM
bayrider

I didn't know it was Nashville's job to promote players on other teams in their own arena.

That is the STUPIDEST thing I have EVER heard. Seriously. If I'm at the Bell Center, and they acknowledge Mats Sundin over the PA for breaking some all time Leafs record, I'll never go to that arena again. Hell, I can only imagine what kind of hell the city would put this organization through for doing such a thing.

When Mike Modano returns and plays his next game in Dallas, they can honour him in a pre-game ceremony or something. Nashville is not obliged to do anything for anyone but themselves.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
DeathFromAbove

I absolutely agree with Dallas on this one, you guys need to be the bigger men here and by not recognizing it because of past-comments made by Modano is borderline on childlike on the Preds part.

Whether you like him or not, he is probably the best American hockey player and you should at least respect his play, no one asks you to like him as a person.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I absolutely agree with Dallas on this one, you guys need to be the bigger men here and by not recognizing it because of past-comments made by Modano is borderline on childlike on the Preds part.

Whether you like him or not, he is probably the best American hockey player and you should at least respect his play, no one asks you to like him as a person.
I think the booing of Modano had as much to do with the whack he put on Tootoo with the stick, given that no one booed Modano before that, even though he had already scored one goal.

He wouldn't have been applauded either way(nor should he be, it's our right to feel the way we do about him...just like we have a right to feel that way about Chelios and even former Predator Scott Walker). His comments were about as bad as it can get in regard to a team and its entire fanbase.

Those of you trivializing what he said simply don't know how it feels, because it's very likely no player has ever denounced the very existence of your team. I lived in NJ in the 80s, and believe me, there was no love lost from Devils fans toward Wayne Gretzky after his "Mickey Mouse Organization" comments...and we're talking about the greatest player of all time. In time, maybe Preds fans will forget Modano's comments(as Devils fans eventually did with Gretzky) but with it fresh in mind, we owe him nothing...why show him class or respect when he's lacked it toward us?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:

Its not even an official NHL record. Its not like the guy scored his 500th goal. I didn't see Leipold or Poile or anyone from Nashville coming out and bashing Atlanta for not having a ceremony for Jordin Tootoo being the first player of Inuit decent to score a goal in the NHL.

I'm happy for the guy given that he got his record but that doesn't mean Nashville should stop the game and have a ceremony, especially given what had just happened beforehand. Modano having a ceremony before a home game is appropriate enough.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Oh..and...just for the record...

Is Nashville a "little green" on the whole? Yes, NHL hockey has only been in town for less than ten years, and ECHL\CHL hockey was somewhat under the radar while it was in town.

But what Nashville fans lack in in-depth hockey knowledge, they make up for in sheer passion. And that's not to say Nashville doesn't have a great many fans who have watched the game since it came to town, and in that short time have become EXTREMELY knowledgeable. That's in addition to those like myself that have been watching hockey all of our lives, some of us from other markets, some of us from Nashville.

It's been said time and time again that the Nashville fans on this board are some of the most knowledgeable fans on ALL of hfboards, and I'm proud of this group...and have no trouble agreeing. I'd put Pred303 or SmokeyClause up against anyone from an "original 6" or traditional market without hesitating.

Old
03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
during the broadcast of the game, Pete mentioned that the Stars had contacted the Preds prior to the game, and asked for the netting off the goal, if he scored #503 during the game.

Modano got 3rd star of the game in honor of those 2 goals.

The Stars also got the NETTING OFF THE GOAL as requested. I personally witnessed that.

IF Modano hadn't swung his stick at Tootoo's back or if he had received a slashing penalty and NOT gotten #503 on that subsequent power play - then maybe the Nashville fans would have been a little more forgiving and applauded him as the Stars organization and fans think we should have.

However after the incident and taking the Dallas player off the ice on a gurney, it would NOT have been appropriate to stop the game to honor Modano.

I use to like Modano until his contraction comments along with not being able to buy his dog any food during the lock out. I will cheer him no more. He has now reached the same level as Chelios in my mind.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:46 PM
EatSleepJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Modano got 3rd star of the game in honor of those 2 goals.
This part was missing from the broadcast. How'd that go?

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:

Actually Chris Chelios is probably the best ever american born player, but hey who's counting

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
Actually Chris Chelios is probably the best ever american born player, but hey who's counting
I'd go for Lafontaine, personally.

Old
03-19-2007, 04:16 PM
bayrider

Replace Dallas and Nashville with Toronto and Montreal, or Edmonton and Calgary, or Colorado and Detroit, LA and Anahime. That would be a huge s--t storm if one organization gives homage to another's best player in their own rink in a competitive game where points are at stake.

If Dallas wants to be the "better man" they can honour Modano next home game in Dallas and quit crying like a little baby because he wasn't recognized for a trivial achievement.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:21 PM
FlameofTheWest

Your missing the point of what hes meant to hockey 1) in the states and 2) in a southern city having a hockey franchise. How he feels and what hes meant are two different things. How many milestones have Nash fans had to celebrate from their players? So if a US hockey icon happens to reach a milestone in your US arena regardless of if you agree with his comments or not he deserves your recognition. Boo him right after if you like but the guy has done more for hockey in the US than anyone on your current roster. Half the guys on your squad probably had never heard of Nashville in minor and junior hockey before coming to the team, so give a US born player a little more respect for a very respectable milestone.

FlameofTheWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
RyanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Lets be honest here: You came to our board and have stated numerous times that Nashville fans do not know anything......There is no need for that, especially when many of the posters on this very board will prove the contrary.
It's the truth though. Yes, the few here may know something, but the few here don't represent all Predator fans. Nashville fans, as a group, not as individuals, know very little about the sport and not acknowledging Modano shows that. It was a slap in the face to one of the NHL's best and props to the Stars management for calling out your organization, you can't sit back and take in the most revenue sharing money, vote against schedule changes and ignore the history of the sport and then try to convince the rest of the league you have a knowledgeable fan base. Doesn't work like that.

RyanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameofTheWest View Post
.....so give a US born player a little more respect for a very respectable milestone.
Maybe if THAT player had shown respect for this NHL team, this team's fans would have shown him respect.

Get over it already.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote