HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2014, 04:44 PM
  #826
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Love this widow I bought.. what's comparable to that with what warrior offers now? Covert dt1?

ConoR187 is offline  
Old
05-20-2014, 05:20 PM
  #827
mattw4466
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Sherwood T-100 is a high mid kick(and an absolute cannon), I think it says it's a low kick in the chart at the beginning of the thread.

mattw4466 is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 06:57 PM
  #828
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 10,658
vCash: 50
AIREYE, did you get to try out the new STX sticks? Stallion and Surgeon.

Wilch is offline  
Old
05-22-2014, 08:31 PM
  #829
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
Widow => DT1 => DT1LT

Haven't seen the STX sticks in person. I don't know of any retailer in Canada carrying them. More interested in the True A6.0 I'm using now as well as the Synergy HTX and Warrior QR1. Not to mention the Supreme MX3 I have on order.

AIREAYE is online now  
Old
05-23-2014, 12:14 AM
  #830
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 10,658
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Widow => DT1 => DT1LT

Haven't seen the STX sticks in person. I don't know of any retailer in Canada carrying them. More interested in the True A6.0 I'm using now as well as the Synergy HTX and Warrior QR1. Not to mention the Supreme MX3 I have on order.
How are those sticks holding up for you?

Wilch is offline  
Old
05-23-2014, 12:36 AM
  #831
Pacifist Goon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I think the 999 is based off of the M3 and the 555 is based off the M2.

Just picked up a pair of M999's today and had a couple of hours on the ice with them and a bucket of pucks. I can't vouch for the quality or durability, but they're a fraction longer than the M5 and the lie and Cammalleri curve is perfect for me. Doubled my shooting accuracy and consistency just through changing sticks. More uniform and pretty much identical curve and stick length to the wood I was playing with before going to composites recently. Love 'em.

May go back to stock up.

Pacifist Goon is offline  
Old
05-23-2014, 08:16 AM
  #832
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
How are those sticks holding up for you?
The A6.0 is the lightest and most well-balanced stick on the market right now. Puckhandling is a treat! Full review in a few weeks on modsquad.

AIREAYE is online now  
Old
05-25-2014, 06:50 PM
  #833
MattGTI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Milford
Country: United States
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The A6.0 is the lightest and most well-balanced stick on the market right now. Puckhandling is a treat! Full review in a few weeks on modsquad.
While it's semantics, almost every early review/ test clocks in it at 4-421 grams, which still makes Sherwood's flagship EK15 a tad lighter by almost every account. People are raving about the balance though. I will admit the EK15 is a tad blade heavy(not a deal killer at all, just don't know if that's worth the extra 60 to some people or not). I really want to try the A6.0 out though, seems like a fantastic stick. Looking forward to your more in depth review on it.

MattGTI is offline  
Old
05-25-2014, 07:02 PM
  #834
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 10,658
vCash: 50
Shame, seems like the A6.0 isn't available for cheap on sites like eBay.

Checked out the stick on some Canadian online retailer, seems like it'll set me back a good $300 for a twig.

I'd love to try it, but not at that price tag

Wilch is offline  
Old
05-26-2014, 08:12 AM
  #835
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
While it's semantics, almost every early review/ test clocks in it at 4-421 grams, which still makes Sherwood's flagship EK15 a tad lighter by almost every account. People are raving about the balance though. I will admit the EK15 is a tad blade heavy(not a deal killer at all, just don't know if that's worth the extra 60 to some people or not). I really want to try the A6.0 out though, seems like a fantastic stick. Looking forward to your more in depth review on it.
To be fair to Sherwood, I haven't spent nearly the same amount of time with the EK15 as with the True Temper stuff. I've only ever held and shot about 10 pucks with the EK15. However, despite their effective marketing proclamations, I was never particularly impressed (don't get me wrong, it's a good stick) with the Sherwood...there was no 'wow' moment for me.

Funny thing about the True sticks, when I unknowingly picked up the A4.5 (souped up Combat 45 cal, 445g SR, 3rd from top) for the first time, I thought that IT was their top end. The weight and balance on these things impressed me enough, more than the Sherwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Shame, seems like the A6.0 isn't available for cheap on sites like eBay.

Checked out the stick on some Canadian online retailer, seems like it'll set me back a good $300 for a twig.

I'd love to try it, but not at that price tag
I'd never spend $300 on a stick either, no matter how good lol.

AIREAYE is online now  
Old
05-26-2014, 08:21 PM
  #836
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 10,658
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I'd never spend $300 on a stick either, no matter how good lol.
Did you get yours through employee discount or hook up?

It's almost impossible to find good deals living in Asia... Unless you're in China and use Taobao.

Usually factory defects get leaked onto Taobao for a pretty cheap price ($100~$150 for top end sticks)

Wilch is offline  
Old
05-30-2014, 12:30 PM
  #837
adamkesher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to adamkesher
Hockey Giant is having a 1 day clearance on a number of models of sticks at pretty low price points. Can anyone speak to the quality of these sticks relative to their cost in this sale? Thinking of picking one up as a backup stick.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/one-piece...eid=a715057cc8

adamkesher is offline  
Old
05-30-2014, 12:32 PM
  #838
adamkesher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to adamkesher
AIREAYE is 100% right on True's 6.0 by the way. Amazing stick. Highly recommend it. The 2.2 and 4.5 are great as well if you don't want to spend the full price tag. I have a A2.2 as well and it's a phenomenal stick.

adamkesher is offline  
Old
05-31-2014, 01:01 PM
  #839
19Backstrom
Cup or bust
 
19Backstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,691
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkesher View Post
Hockey Giant is having a 1 day clearance on a number of models of sticks at pretty low price points. Can anyone speak to the quality of these sticks relative to their cost in this sale? Thinking of picking one up as a backup stick.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/one-piece...eid=a715057cc8
These are entry level sticks. They suck. I bought one earlier this year to use as my backup (Bauer Vapor X20), and the puck feel was so horrible that I now use it to play road hockey.

19Backstrom is online now  
Old
05-31-2014, 04:25 PM
  #840
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
65S II isn't bad for $70.

AIREAYE is online now  
Old
06-02-2014, 12:37 PM
  #841
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
Has anyone used the Nexus 600? Wondering how comparable it is to the Bauer Supreme One 6? I had a One 6 and loved it. Found a sweet deal on a Nexus but haven’t used that line yet.

OpenIceHit42 is offline  
Old
06-02-2014, 02:02 PM
  #842
19Backstrom
Cup or bust
 
19Backstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,691
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Has anyone used the Nexus 600? Wondering how comparable it is to the Bauer Supreme One 6? I had a One 6 and loved it. Found a sweet deal on a Nexus but havenít used that line yet.
I've used the Nexus 1000 and the Total One, which are the top end sticks of their respective lines, and I find them quite similar. The Supreme is easier to flex down the middle and kicks harder on a slap shot, but the Nexus has a sweet spot for sending quick powerful snap shots, and it's slightly stiffer for the same flex rating.

The Nexus 600 and the One.6 are of the same quality, and both have the same shaft shape and grip.

I'm sure you'll love it.

19Backstrom is online now  
Old
06-04-2014, 08:56 AM
  #843
redbranch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bridgewater,nj
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
picked up a nexus 1000 last night at hockey monkey for like $140. I kinda let the guy talk me into switching to a Richards blade, and that's a hell of a transition from my V5e E36. When I get it right, it's a laser, but every third shot just dribbles off the blade

redbranch is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 11:27 AM
  #844
19Backstrom
Cup or bust
 
19Backstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,691
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
picked up a nexus 1000 last night at hockey monkey for like $140. I kinda let the guy talk me into switching to a Richards blade, and that's a hell of a transition from my V5e E36. When I get it right, it's a laser, but every third shot just dribbles off the blade
How did you get it for $140 ?

19Backstrom is online now  
Old
06-04-2014, 12:39 PM
  #845
redbranch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bridgewater,nj
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
the stick is tagged at $199, and they had an instore 30% off on nexus sticks. Supposedly it was only for may, but they pretty much seemed to want those sticks out the door.

Oh you like Easton sticks? Here, let me show you this Bauer Nexus...

redbranch is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 05:58 PM
  #846
19Backstrom
Cup or bust
 
19Backstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,691
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
the stick is tagged at $199, and they had an instore 30% off on nexus sticks. Supposedly it was only for may, but they pretty much seemed to want those sticks out the door.

Oh you like Easton sticks? Here, let me show you this Bauer Nexus...
I don't like Easton sticks anyway
I went on their website, and you can get 25% off all clearance items, which means I could get the Nexus 1000 for $150. I'd rather replace my old Total One with a newer NXG shaft for $80.

19Backstrom is online now  
Old
06-09-2014, 12:35 PM
  #847
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
Picked up a Nexus 600 on Friday for $67 (before shipping and after discounts), pretty pumped to get it in my hands this week and give it a shot.

OpenIceHit42 is offline  
Old
06-16-2014, 11:54 AM
  #848
elmariachi227
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Got a Nexus 600 as well. Can't wait to try it out.

elmariachi227 is offline  
Old
06-16-2014, 04:35 PM
  #849
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?
 
Four Boilermakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,946
vCash: 500
Can someone please explain to me the differences between the Easton stick lines? I recently broke my S19 and S17 (Zetterbergs), and I'd like to get something similar, but I have no idea what the Easton product lines are anymore. (What's the difference b/w the V9 and the V9E? Where does the Mako fit in?) Is the Cammalleri the new Zetterberg? This E4, P4, E5, etc. stuff is confusing me.

Ideally, I am looking for something just below the top-of-the line models or possibly last year's top-of-the-line model, which you can usually get for a nice discount. Any advice?

Four Boilermakers is offline  
Old
06-16-2014, 06:17 PM
  #850
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
Your V9E is the Stealth line, V9 is your Mako/Synergy line. E4 is your Camm/Zett.

If you can find older RS2s on clearance that'd be your best value.

AIREAYE is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.