HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

hockey baby

Old
03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
wedge

vCash: 500
hockey baby

it's the first time I post in this board...

my son will be a little bit over 2 years next winter (born in november)

I want to start showing him to play hockey and/or skate.

It's my first baby so I don't know what's the best thing to do.. is 2 yo too young? Should I wait another year?

He's already been walking and running for a way and he's physically tough for his age. I'm starting to show him to hit a ball with a plastic hockey stick for fun.

So what do you think? Is next year reasonnable to start showing my son how to skate and how to play hockey or should I wait a bit?

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 01:54 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I'd keep him on dryland for right now, wait till he has a bit better balance then get him some starter skates(they have two blades on each boot). I'm thinking maybe 3-4 might be a good time to start. Until then keep on playing with him and the plastic ball and stick.

P.S. I'm not a parent but I'm just kinda thinking about how well a 2 year old might be walking let alone skating. And I dont think that waiting a year to a couple years at this point won't really make a huge difference in the long run with his skating.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 05:54 PM
AliensMadeMeDoIt

My son is born november 29, he's now 8. I started him on skates the winter he turned 1 a couple of times and the next winter he was skating on his own, proper stride and everything before he turned 2. I never used anything else than regular skates and we did some training to get good balance on inlines in our apartment.

The year after I started him in hockey school and I helped him at practice that year because he was way younger than all but 1 or 2 kids. Can honestly say I've taught him almost all he can and that without ever playing hockey myself. We've practised a lot but mostly after he turned 6.

Now he's one of the stars on his team boys born 98. As the youngest kid on the team he's still one of the best and most skilled. He's always been lacy but skilled, thinking he's so good he doesn't have to work hard. But this year late in the season I finally got through to him and now he's the hardest working kid on the team, now I only have to make him stop covering up for all the other lacy fools that only thinks defence is where you go for face-offs

Anyway his team is regulary beating up on teams 1-2 years older and totally destroying teams they're own age. These are not bad teams, they all come from the north of Sweden and have produced players like Niclas Wallin, Thomas Holmstrom, Mikael Renberg and Mattias Ohlund.

So in short you should definately teach him to skate next year on regular skates and why not get him a pair of inlines. They should be ones that roll badly because they're only for training balance. And do train regulary like once a week, at first you have to help him by lending a hand and skating with him and after awhile he can skate with something to hold. One thing that is good when he can stand on his skate without anything to hold on to is to stand in front of him facing his way and tell him to come to you. When he comes forward slowly glide backwards so instead of skating(walking) 1 meter he skates 2-3 meters before you let him catch you.

Good luck with your little hockey star, I'm well on my way with mine

AliensMadeMeDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:50 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensMadeMeDoIt View Post
My son is born november 29, he's now 8. I started him on skates the winter he turned 1 a couple of times and the next winter he was skating on his own, proper stride and everything before he turned 2. I never used anything else than regular skates and we did some training to get good balance on inlines in our apartment.

The year after I started him in hockey school and I helped him at practice that year because he was way younger than all but 1 or 2 kids. Can honestly say I've taught him almost all he can and that without ever playing hockey myself. We've practised a lot but mostly after he turned 6.

Now he's one of the stars on his team boys born 98. As the youngest kid on the team he's still one of the best and most skilled. He's always been lacy but skilled, thinking he's so good he doesn't have to work hard. But this year late in the season I finally got through to him and now he's the hardest working kid on the team, now I only have to make him stop covering up for all the other lacy fools that only thinks defence is where you go for face-offs

Anyway his team is regulary beating up on teams 1-2 years older and totally destroying teams they're own age. These are not bad teams, they all come from the north of Sweden and have produced players like Niclas Wallin, Thomas Holmstrom, Mikael Renberg and Mattias Ohlund.

So in short you should definately teach him to skate next year on regular skates and why not get him a pair of inlines. They should be ones that roll badly because they're only for training balance. And do train regulary like once a week, at first you have to help him by lending a hand and skating with him and after awhile he can skate with something to hold. One thing that is good when he can stand on his skate without anything to hold on to is to stand in front of him facing his way and tell him to come to you. When he comes forward slowly glide backwards so instead of skating(walking) 1 meter he skates 2-3 meters before you let him catch you.

wow thanks a lot.. I'll print your post and use it as future reference.

reply to TBLfan: my son is already able to walk and run, so it's not a problem in that department.. I know some kids start walking a 1 year and a half, but my son has been doing it for a few months.

Old
03-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post

It's my first baby so I don't know what's the best thing to do.. is 2 yo too young? Should I wait another year?

He's already been walking and running for a way and he's physically tough for his age. I'm starting to show him to hit a ball with a plastic hockey stick for fun.

So what do you think? Is next year reasonnable to start showing my son how to skate and how to play hockey or should I wait a bit?
Congrats on your cute little boy.

The only thing I can say is don't be like some of my peers and live vicariously through your son. I can't say how many times I've seen father's force their sons on the ice when they are screaming with terror and force them to play when they don't want to skate.

Some people I know within one week, get their kids fitted for skates & equipment, private lessons etc and think their kids will be mite & squirt hockey stars overnight. They micro-manage their kids in hockey as they do with all their other activities.

It sounds like your doing the right thing with the ball and plastic stick and easing him into it. Get him to skate first, and see what happens. Once he gets good on his feet, it will give him the confidence to do other things like play. I love to see the little kids with the big helmets and tiny gloves during public skate sessions, as they fall, get up and laugh about it and do it with a smile on their face. These are the kids who are really enjoying themselves and are most likely not being pushed into it.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
javorka

Quote:
.....Now he's one of the stars on his team boys born 98. As the youngest kid on the team he's still one of the best and most skilled. He's always been lacy but skilled, thinking he's so good he doesn't have to work hard. But this year late in the season I finally got through to him and now he's the hardest working kid on the team, now I only have to make him stop covering up for all the other lacy fools that only thinks defence is where you go for face-offs .....

Anyway his team is regulary beating up on teams 1-2 years older and totally destroying teams they're own age. These are not bad teams, they all come from the north of Sweden and have produced players like Niclas Wallin, Thomas Holmstrom, Mikael Renberg and Mattias Ohlund.....

Yikes!!! Are you the dad on my son's hockey team who thinks his kid is better than all the rest? I'm sorry that you feel like your kid has to cover up for all the other 8 to 9 year-old lacy fools. (And I presume you mean lazy?) I will try very hard next year to have my son on a different team so that your kid can be a big star and they'll never lose a game and you can be proud of him. As for my kid, I am proud of him because he knows how to be a part of a team and knows what it means to be a good sport, even if he isn't the star.

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:

If you do start your son young, don't push him to play hockey.

My dad had my brothers on skates when they were 2 and 2 1/2. They didn't start hockey until the age of 5. We did Can skate and Powerskating before we learned how to play hockey. He never pushed any of us into playign hockey, but made sure that we had the skating skills before we had a stick on our hands.

My best friend's nephew is 4 and he plays on two different teams. His Timbits team for 5 and 6 year olds and his APed up to a 7-8 year old team. Tyler learned how to skate really young, and taught him the basic skills really young. They never pushed him to play hockey. His Uncle played in the WHL and his Dad in the CIS. They have to limit the amount of time Tyler spent on the outside rink, if they allowed him he would be out there all day. They also limit the amount of practices he can go to.

Never is he told that he is better than anyone else on the team. He told his mom "Mommy, I'm just a little fat kid that wants to go out and play hockey."

He's also one of the top scorers on both his teams, but after each game he comes off and goes "I am so sorry Dad. I got scored on TWICE."
"You scored two goals."
"That means that I am zero. Still no good."

Well balanced kid.

03-18-2007, 06:49 PM
lotus

First off, my god your baby is adorable

Basically I'd just enforce everything most people here have said. Don't push him or anything. And if you've ever seen those "knee hockey" nets and sticks, that seems like it would be perfect! They sell alot of small toy sticks at hockey games for if you get to any. I'm sure some people know what I'm talking about. Then again this could be what you're using.

I can't imagine him not enjoying himself. What little boy doesn't like to whack stuff around with a stick

Also to Ti-girl. Your friends nephew, it's good to see he's concerned about defense. It's all about two way hockey these days. I get so frustrated watching kids cherry pick or coast back after they rush up ice. Backcheck !!! Shorts shifts ! etc etc

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post

Also to Ti-girl. Your friends nephew, it's good to see he's concerned about defense. It's all about two way hockey these days. I get so frustrated watching kids cherry pick or coast back after they rush up ice. Backcheck !!! Shorts shifts ! etc etc
My buddy is a defenseman turned forward turned defenseman again so he's always preaching to "Backcheck backcheck backcheck".

Also because he's one of the faster kids on the team he boots his ass back every shift.

Its nice to see a kid who is concered about stopping goals as well as scoring them.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:07 PM
lotus

I always think that with players who are either new to the sport or new to a league it is best to gain a defensive core before anything. And then see what they can give offensivly without sacrificing too much defense. And when leagues get harder, individual skills don't shine as much, but lack of a defensive core does.

Old
03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Ti-girl

One of my favorite lines that Tyler said was "I would much rather stop a goal than score a goal..."
"Then why do you have 45 goals Tyler?"
"Sometimes I get bored..."

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:22 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
First off, my god your baby is adorable

Basically I'd just enforce everything most people here have said. Don't push him or anything. And if you've ever seen those "knee hockey" nets and sticks, that seems like it would be perfect! They sell alot of small toy sticks at hockey games for if you get to any. I'm sure some people know what I'm talking about. Then again this could be what you're using.

I can't imagine him not enjoying himself. What little boy doesn't like to whack stuff around with a stick

yep.. that's exactly what I'm using... with a soft water ball (that gets full of water when you put it in the pool. But without water, it's so light and soft that it doesn't destroy anything in the appartment).

He has a lot of fun when we play with it. Sometimes we play just with our feet like soccer. I'm not pushing him into hockey, we're just having fun. I will never force him to do anything. I will push him a little bit but if he doesn't like it, he will just stop.

Why I would like him to start next year is that I want to play with him. I'm dreaming of the day when I'll go to the outdoor rink and play with my son.

thanks for all your advices.

so I guess I'll just put him in skating school and for the hockey part, I'll myself play with him for the fun of it. So that he'll see it as a game and not as a competition.

Old
03-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Nbr-17

My son was born March, 28 1998. He started skating at 2 pushing a skating aid around the ice. We have a place up north and on Sundays at public skating it's really not that busy compared to the city. So he went skating for two hours each Sunday with his cousin who at the time was 13.
At 4 he started playing hockey in houseleague. I tried to take him skating whenever I had time. Whenever I went/go with him I let him do whatever he wants. The way I see it every minute on the ice is only going to help, he gets enough instructions and drills at practice and camp.
He is going into his minor atom year next fall and will be playing with the Toronto Junior Canadians AAA team in the GTHL.
So I guess he's doing alright

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:24 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Well Gretzky started skating at age 2, so I'd say its alright. Gotta start early!

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
AliensMadeMeDoIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by javorka View Post
Yikes!!! Are you the dad on my son's hockey team who thinks his kid is better than all the rest? I'm sorry that you feel like your kid has to cover up for all the other 8 to 9 year-old lacy fools. (And I presume you mean lazy?) I will try very hard next year to have my son on a different team so that your kid can be a big star and they'll never lose a game and you can be proud of him. As for my kid, I am proud of him because he knows how to be a part of a team and knows what it means to be a good sport, even if he isn't the star.
No as a matter of fact there's 4-5 players just as good. And yes my kids covering for your son who's probably forgot he was the defenceman. And no theres no I in my son he's all TEAM so why don't you keep it down and take your complaints with who ever you got the beef with.

Who cares about winning at this age? They loose sometimes to because they almost allways play older teams. The important thing is having fun and growing as a hockeyplayer.

And I'm sorry because my kids god, I bet Crosbys dad is sorry to.....and no I'm not comparing the two.

Old
03-19-2007, 03:37 PM
javorka

Quote:
...Who cares about winning at this age?.......The important thing is having fun and growing as a hockeyplayer.....
That's my point. It drives me crazy when parents say stuff like "his team is regularly beating up on teams 1-2 years older and totally destroying teams they're own age" (your words, not mine).

And don't apologize because your kid is good. In fact, my son is one of the "4-5 players just as good" on the team, too. I don't expect parents like us though, with kids that are a little more skilled, to call the others lazy fools.....they're eight and nine year olds, for pete's sake!

Old
03-19-2007, 03:50 PM
lotus

Quote:
He has a lot of fun when we play with it. Sometimes we play just with our feet like soccer. I'm not pushing him into hockey, we're just having fun. I will never force him to do anything. I will push him a little bit but if he doesn't like it, he will just stop.

Funny enough, when my brother and I were growing up, we would play soccer with my dad, using him as the goalie and a closet as the goal. Him being a euro, loved the sport of soccer of course. (from liverpool). I'm sure he would have liked it if I played soccer, but it's actually what got me and my brother into hockey. Soon enough we were taking slapshots at my dad and well, we grew up fast haha.

There's a fine line between pushing and encouraging, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with encouragement. It sounds like you're doing fine

Old
03-19-2007, 03:53 PM
AliensMadeMeDoIt

Quote:
That's my point. It drives me crazy when parents say stuff like "his team is regularly beating up on teams 1-2 years older and totally destroying teams they're own age" (your words, not mine).

And don't apologize because your kid is good. In fact, my son is one of the "4-5 players just as good" on the team, too. I don't expect parents like us though, with kids that are a little more skilled, to call the others lazy fools.....they're eight and nine year olds, for pete's sake!
Well lazy may be the wrong word but them not giving a rats ass about playing defence when they're the defencemen takes away the chance for your and my son to play offence when they're playing forward. You think thats how it should be???

Last edited by AliensMadeMeDoIt: 03-19-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old
03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Ri hards

When you do look for skates, I would suggest looking for hard shell-used skates. One of the big issues for kids learning how to skate is the whole ankle support thing. Some kids naturally stand on both edges of each skate, others tend to either walk around on the inside edges or the outside edges. Hard shell-skates are also good as used skates because there isn't anything to really break in, so as far as used skates go, they're not too bad.

For starting your son skating, I'd suggest letting him walk around his skates on dry land before the ice. This would include the rubber flooring in arena lobbies, or even at home in skate guards. Simply put, if your son can't manage to be balanced on dryland, he has no hope on the ice.

PM if you want more specific tips, I've taught skating lessons for the last 7 years.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:36 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
When you do look for skates, I would suggest looking for hard shell-used skates. One of the big issues for kids learning how to skate is the whole ankle support thing. Some kids naturally stand on both edges of each skate, others tend to either walk around on the inside edges or the outside edges. Hard shell-skates are also good as used skates because there isn't anything to really break in, so as far as used skates go, they're not too bad.

For starting your son skating, I'd suggest letting him walk around his skates on dry land before the ice. This would include the rubber flooring in arena lobbies, or even at home in skate guards. Simply put, if your son can't manage to be balanced on dryland, he has no hope on the ice.

PM if you want more specific tips, I've taught skating lessons for the last 7 years.

great post. I see the ankle support problem in something like nine out of ten kids. I see people tie the laces around the ankles for "additional" support but i once heard this actually just makes the laces come looser as you skate. I can't say if this is for certain so maybe someone can clarify on that. But I never do it anymore.

It's also never a bad habit for anyone to walk around or just sit around at home in new skates (bare foot pref) to break them in.

Just make sure he's comfortable. If his feet hurt, it will be a quick turn off from the game !

Last edited by lotus: 03-19-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old
03-19-2007, 11:49 PM
javorka

Quote:
Well lazy may be the wrong word but them not giving a rats ass about playing defence when they're the defencemen takes away the chance for your and my son to play offence when they're playing forward. You think thats how it should be???
I know what you're saying and yeah, it would be nice if all the kids were disciplined and mature enough to remember that they are supposed play position (presuming that's what the coach has asked them to do....even when our boy is on d, the coach tells him to make a rush once in a while) but that's not how every game goes. And it doesn't matter. When players are getting paid to play, that's when I don't expect any mistakes. Until then, as far as I'm concerned it's all just a learning experience.

Old
03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Cujo31

Hey habs fan-see your in Repentigny-that gives you the option of starting your little guy outside. It is great to start real young kids on natural ice with no one around-a small rink in your own backyard is great if you have a yard. Just imagine how scary it is to a 2-3 year old trying to learn to skate in the utter chaos of a crowded public skating rink-bend down to his level and take a peek. Try to get to the rink at a quiet time if you can't go the backyard route.

Starting skating itself: don't bother with the 2 blade cheesecutters, he'll just have to learn all over again on single blades eventually. The $20 red steel skate aids are better than pylons, room for feet to move. A young kids head is not in proportion to its body, child that young wants to lean way over with head out front....start teaching a deep knee bend right from start to counter that waist bend/lead with the head style. Catch that right from the beginning, set him on a good technique for life.

Enjoy youself-it goes fast....there's nothing more fun than a backyard rink at this age if you can manage it next winter. Well worth the time/effort....no only for the actual skills development -more for being able to enjoy time with your son doing something you'll enjoy as much as him.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 01:08 PM
AliensMadeMeDoIt

Quote:
I know what you're saying and yeah, it would be nice if all the kids were disciplined and mature enough to remember that they are supposed play position (presuming that's what the coach has asked them to do....even when our boy is on d, the coach tells him to make a rush once in a while) but that's not how every game goes. And it doesn't matter. When players are getting paid to play, that's when I don't expect any mistakes. Until then, as far as I'm concerned it's all just a learning experience.
Well thats all fine but I'm talking about kids who never sniffs the defensive zone.

Hardshell skates are great to learn skating for young kids just as Switchblade says. My son started on them and there was no problem switching to regular ones at the age of 4 (if I remember correctly).

Old
03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
LilWinger11

I know a lot of you hockey hardcore types will hate this advice, but I'd start a two-year-old on figure skates initially and try hockey skates at three. (Definitely don't bother with the double-bladed ones, they have no ankle support and no edges and generally just slide sideways). I've been teaching skating for eight years and helping my own coaches with their beginner classes for another five before that, and my experience is that new skaters in hockey skates are about 50/50- some do fine, others struggle with the shorter, rounder blade and smaller balance point. This is four- and five-year-olds I'm talking about, so I imagine a two- or three-year-old, with less-developed motor skills, would be more likely to need the longer, flatter blade. I have taught a couple of two-year-olds and quite a few three-year-olds who were able to move around on skates independently and loved it, so I don't see any reason not to try it with a two-year-old (keeping in mind that many kids that young really don't want to skate yet- if that happens, try again in six months. A lot of kids who hate the ice at three try again close to four and love it.) Get him taking very small marching steps, don't try to get him pushing and gliding at all right away.

If he really likes it, you could see if your local rink has classes for kids that young. Most rinks require that kids be three or four for regular classes, but some have Parent-and-Child classes for twos that are great, very play-oriented, games, toys, etc.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
MikeD

no reason why he cant have the hockey skates ground with a larger Radius profile. I sure wouldnt want to start him on a flat blade, unless hes looking to be a goalie...lol

As long as you keep FUN as the most important part of the game and taking the ice...its all good! No reason why your adorable little one cant put on the gear and hit the ice, as long as its something he WANTS to do. OF course he wont know that until you take him there. You will know real quick if he wants to keep going back.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote