HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Stars president 'sick' of Predators' overall attitude

Old
03-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Jordan Chenier

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jordan Chenier
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Just saying why wouldn't a NHL team do something for one of the best in the game? And then people on here agree with their apathy. Modano is a class act, stud. He's been around forever and he's a yank to boot.

No offence, but most Nash fans don't know squat about the game and it's a shame he had to score in Nashville when most other cities would honor this guy.
Modano didn't deserve anything after what he did to Tootoo. I saw the hit and it was not dirty it was actually really close to being a rub out. So *** was Robida or whoever the **** got knocked out thinking. That guy deserved to get sucker punched.

Screw the Dallas Stars!

BTW who the **** are you to say that Nashville Fans know nothing about hockey

Jordan Chenier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I'd go for Lafontaine, personally.
probably would have been without the concussions

just like Bobby Orr is quite possibly the best player ever but his career was ended way too early to put up the stats

different argument for a different thread though

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Fraserburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
It's the truth though. Yes, the few here may know something, but the few here don't represent all Predator fans. Nashville fans, as a group, not as individuals, know very little about the sport and not acknowledging Modano shows that. It was a slap in the face to one of the NHL's best and props to the Stars management for calling out your organization, you can't sit back and take in the most revenue sharing money, vote against schedule changes and ignore the history of the sport and then try to convince the rest of the league you have a knowledgeable fan base. Doesn't work like that.

Ok i'll bite

Question:
What do Revenue Sharing and Schedule changes have to do with honoring of players?

Answer:
Absolutely nothing!

Revenue Sharing is something ALL organizations agreed to as the best way to improve competition and parity. Dallas included. Currently Nashville is benefitting the most from that, I highly doubt that trend will continue

Scheduling changes - Originally the 30 Organizations yes 30 not 29 with Dallas abstaining agreed to go on a 3 year scheduling plan to see if they could build some new rivalries. Currently we are 2 years in and less than 2/3rds of the league (2/3= 20 for those who dont know) including Montreal, New Jersey, Ottawa, Columbus, Anaheim think it wiser to continue the 3 year plan and have enough of an experience base to make a better decision on where to go next. If you think Dallas voted for the change simply for the betterment of the game you are incredibly naive. Each and every team had what was better for their team in particular in mind when voting for or against changing the schedule and to imply otherwise is disingenuous

also you are being ignorant of the facts that there are many many intelligent and hockey knowledgable fans on this board and in the arena and the few you think are idiots dont represent the bulk of true nashville fans and honestly to stereotype the entire fanbase in the way you are doesnt speak well of yourself not your fan base

Old
03-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameofTheWest View Post
Your missing the point of what hes meant to hockey 1) in the states and 2) in a southern city having a hockey franchise. How he feels and what hes meant are two different things. How many milestones have Nash fans had to celebrate from their players? So if a US hockey icon happens to reach a milestone in your US arena regardless of if you agree with his comments or not he deserves your recognition. Boo him right after if you like but the guy has done more for hockey in the US than anyone on your current roster. Half the guys on your squad probably had never heard of Nashville in minor and junior hockey before coming to the team, so give a US born player a little more respect for a very respectable milestone.
Just so you know FlameroftheWest...none of the Pred fans who post on this board make a decision at the games to stop play, post on the jumbotron...or other type things for a visting players accomplishments. Regardless how I or anyone else feel about him the organization/NHL make that call....and until they comment who the hell knows.

and maybe you have not been following, but he was not booed the entire game (even after scoring the first goal), until after he smacked TooToo across the back with his stick. Most felt he should not be on the ice at all when he scored the record setting goal.

Also, explain "how he feels and what hes meant are two different things"? If I come into your home after making comments that your family should move or leave......would you still welcome me and respect me because I have been good at something? That would make you a dolt.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Just saying why wouldn't a NHL team do something for one of the best in the game? And then people on here agree with their apathy. Modano is a class act, stud. He's been around forever and he's a yank to boot.

No offence, but most Nash fans don't know squat about the game and it's a shame he had to score in Nashville when most other cities would honor this guy.
Not really. TO and Montreal wouldnt honour the guy after it. You dont make a big huge thing out of milestones reached by opposing teams players in your own arena during a game.
Only certain guys get special tributes, and that's done before games.

Real fans would know this.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
It's the truth though. Yes, the few here may know something, but the few here don't represent all Predator fans. Nashville fans, as a group, not as individuals, know very little about the sport and not acknowledging Modano shows that. It was a slap in the face to one of the NHL's best and props to the Stars management for calling out your organization, you can't sit back and take in the most revenue sharing money, vote against schedule changes and ignore the history of the sport and then try to convince the rest of the league you have a knowledgeable fan base. Doesn't work like that.
If Nashville fans knew nothing about hockey then they just would have sat there and did nothing. They wouldn't have known than perhaps Modano should have gotten a penalty and shouldn't have been out there to score that goal.

Your president has no right to complain about revenue sharing after the Stars owner agreed to the CBA. Voting against a schedule change makes our organization a bad guy? I guess that makes alot more franchises bad guys. Do you know the motive for voting against the schedule change that warrants you mentioning it as being a black eye for our organization?

And furthermore, how does revenue sharing, our owner voting against a schedule change and our team for not putting on a ceremony for Modano make Nashville fans know nothing about hockey?

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:12 PM
EatSleepJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Chenier View Post
That guy deserved to get sucker punched.
A contradiction in terms, if there ever was one.

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Big Money Wides

Send a message via AIM to Big Money Wides
Modano was probably right about getting rid of Nashville and Carolina.

Neither team has done much post lockout, unless you consider being near the top of the Western Conference for 2 years or winning the Stanley Cup accomplishments...

Way to go, Mike

Big Money Wides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I absolutely agree with Dallas on this one, you guys need to be the bigger men here and by not recognizing it because of past-comments made by Modano is borderline on childlike on the Preds part.

Whether you like him or not, he is probably the best American hockey player and you should at least respect his play, no one asks you to like him as a person.
Borderline childlike? His insult to the Preds was about as bad as it gets. He basically said they shouldn't exist. Childlike is making fun of Modano. The Preds could easily have a nice little skit making fun of Modano's dog with expensive tastes. The high road is not saying a thing. And that's what the Preds did. I'm thoroughly content with how my franchise acted in this situation. If Vokoun had insinuated that Dallas didn't deserve a team, I sure wouldn't expect any quarter from the Stars organization.

And the NHL knew this milestone was coming and did little in the way of celebrating it. Seems they weren't the only ones who didn't much care to celebrate.

You reap what you sow. Posters try to compare this situation by saying "we did this to stevie y" or "we treated Gretzky this way" as if there is a legitimate parrallel. There just isn't. The players who handle themselves on AND off (<--this is key here) the ice deserve the level of respect that the Stars organization wants for Modano. And the Predators organization knows first hand Modano's off-ice class.

And this is a weird record anyways. It's not most goals by an American. It's most goals by an American born player. I think the Devils should have a mini-celebration every time that Gomez scores. And call it most goals ever scored by an Alaskan born player.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 03-19-2007 at 04:33 PM.
SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Pred303

we should have stopped the game when tootoo scored in the 2nd.. after all, that goal was the most ever scored by an Inuit player..

what most don't get, is the fact modano had 15 seconds before he scored that goal swung his stick, hit tootoo on the back, and then had nothing called against him, they were in fact booing the no-call from seconds before... that's why so many people were booing the guy... and if they'd have stopped the game to celebrate modano scoring right then, after the no-slashing call and after a gift goal that got the stars back to within 1 at the 3 minute mark of the game, there really would have been some booing, it would have probably required security in fact.. i would hazzard to say most people that are criticizing here, didn't truly know the situation at the time and only "heard" of the incident.

and as for fatally flawed argument that "modano is one of the main reason we have hockey in nashville", that is a ridiculous line of reasoning.. we might as well thank the success of the washington capitals, because if they had failed they might not have done anymore expansion using that stupid line of reasoning.. or maybe we should thank minnesota for losing their franchise, that allowed the stars to come to dallas, that allowed modano to play there, that allowed the league to expand, that allowed nashville to exist.. it's all a pointless path of logic gone amuck.

personally, i will never cheer for modano (or chelios) again after the "contract nashville" comments.. much less the "cann't feed his dog on 5 million" statement around the same time.. i did politely stand when they announced him as third star, of course he didn't come out, which was probably best for all

now.. having said all that, i think it was stupid hockey for tootoo to be taking a run at modano in the last three minutes of a 2 goal game, that allowed all this to happen.. the last thing needed by the preds was a penalty to allow them a pp chance, since they hadn't scored all night even strength... the last thing needed was to instigate trouble in a game you had in the bag, that part was some dumb hockey

Last edited by Pred303: 03-19-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Just curious, can anyone bring up an actual link to Modano's apparently Pred-bashing quote?

I have yet to see it.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:12 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz View Post
Just curious, can anyone bring up an actual link to Modano's apparently Pred-bashing quote?

I have yet to see it.
There's a link earlier in this thread.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Pred303

here's one for any doubters, we tend to have long memories over statements like this

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/cba...ntraction.html

Old
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I personally think that it's wrong for the Stars to believe/want the Predators to have a celebration for Modano's 503 goal.

Here's a similar situation...Joe Sakic scored his 600th goal against the Calgary Flames...did the Flames do anything about it? No, and I didn't expect them to, it's not THEIR job/duty to do it. Now, I think that the Flames broadcast team mentioned that it was his 600th goal, but that's about it.

Point being, when the Avs returned home, they did a proper celebration there...man, The Stars must have wanted cake and ice cream to be passed out while confetti fell from the ceiling?

03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
FlameofTheWest

Who said he was one of the main reasons? I said his success and that of the stars in a southern city no doubt helped convince alot of people that hockey could work in the deep south. I hate Joe Sakic as do many Red Wing fans but if he scored a milestone goal in the Joe rest assured a moment would be taken out and he would be given the puck or some gesture of respect. The guy is a all time great and deserved better, plain and simple especially being an American born player. Realize what your witnessing and hope a guy in your jersey comes close to such milestone. When you have guys that begin reaching such milestones you will understand how special it is and how it should be treated no matter the arena it happens in.

FlameofTheWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I personally think that it's wrong for the Stars to believe/want the Predators to have a celebration for Modano's 503 goal.

Here's a similar situation...Joe Sakic scored his 600th goal against the Calgary Flames...did the Flames do anything about it? No, and I didn't expect them to, it's not THEIR job/duty to do it. Now, I think that the Flames broadcast team mentioned that it was his 600th goal, but that's about it.

Point being, when the Avs returned home, they did a proper celebration there...man, The Stars must have wanted cake and ice cream to be passed out while confetti fell from the ceiling?
Was Sakic booed?

Old
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Stranger

Quote:

I have yet to see it.
I've been trying to find an article, but I suck at google today. Anyway, I did find this one:

I got a kick out of that for a couple of reasons. First, didn't Mike, just before the lockout, suggest that the league had about five too many teams. "Maybe five of the teams shouldn't be here. Nashville, Carolina, they jumped the gun too soon," Modano was quoted as saying in the summer of 2004.

Found here

Old
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
FlameofTheWest

did you notice the stats before his comment that are factual " Atlanta, Nashville and Carolina finished in the bottom third of attendance for the 2003-04 season, with the Predators (an average of 13,157 fans per game) and Hurricanes (12,086) finishing 28th and 29th, respectively. "

FlameofTheWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Fraserburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameofTheWest View Post
Who said he was one of the main reasons? I said his success and that of the stars in a southern city no doubt helped convince alot of people that hockey could work in the deep south. I hate Joe Sakic as do many Red Wing fans but if he scored a milestone goal in the Joe rest assured a moment would be taken out and he would be given the puck or some gesture of respect. The guy is a all time great and deserved better, plain and simple especially being an American born player. Realize what your witnessing and hope a guy in your jersey comes close to such milestone. When you have guys that begin reaching such milestones you will understand how special it is and how it should be treated no matter the arena it happens in.
Who said Modano didnt get the puck?
You think they just dropped the puck and then hamhuis shot it into the crowd?

Of course he got the puck

Give me one instance of another player getting a Mid-Game Ceremony at Joe Louis Arena?

Old
Pred303

Quote:
Was Sakic booed?
he most likely hadn't just slashed someone over the back with his stick a few seconds before his 600th goal either

Old
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
here's one for any doubters, we tend to have long memories over statements like this

"At the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, Dallas Stars forward Mike Modano
said he thought that Nashville and Carolina should be contracted."

That?

That was 3 years ago. Does Modano get the booing treatment every time he's there? I wasn't aware of that quote, and didn't know he was public enemy number 1 in Nashville 3 years after the fact.....

Old
Olaf

Quote:

I have yet to see it.

Since the Stars management and media seem to be all over trying to tell people how to act and businessmen how to run their companies......why don't they ask Modano what he said? I would be real interested to hear his response...
Is the Terrell Owens stuff old so you have to find other crap.....

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Fraserburn

Quote:
"At the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, Dallas Stars forward Mike Modano
said he thought that Nashville and Carolina should be contracted."

That?

That was 3 years ago. Does Modano get the booing treatment every time he's there? I wasn't aware of that quote, and didn't know he was public enemy number 1 in Nashville 3 years after the fact.....
Fedorov is still booed in Detroit
Alfredsson is still booed in Toronto
Edmonton Fans boo Calgary etc...

Old
03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Again, most people were booing the fact that he was still on the ice after his swinging stick to the back of Tootoo.

Old
03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
Fedorov is still booed in Detroit
Alfredsson is still booed in Toronto
Edmonton Fans boo Calgary etc...
I know, but I wasn't aware Modano got booed every time he's in Nashville, or whenever he touches the puck, or whatever it is there. This is the first I've heard of it, and it HAPPENS to be on his record-breaking night.

Quite unfortunate.