HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Stars president 'sick' of Predators' overall attitude

Old
03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Olaf

vCash: 500
You know....the good thing is this could be great for getting some excitment about hockey going in the local media if they really played to the comments coming from Dallas area papers.....and issued response

stuff like :

Modano’s record-setting goal came on the power play from Tootoo’s double minor. The Nashville fans, unappreciative of history, booed Modano.
By TRACEY MYERS
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

As fate would have it, Modano's record goal came in front of a boorish Nashville crowd, not the Stars' home fans. The Stars did recognize the feat Sunday, however, with a brief video tribute during the first period.
.....As it turned out, the night in Nashville was stained by a third-period moment when the Predators' Jordin Tootoo laid a Rudy Tomjanovich-style sucker punch on Stephane Robidas. The Stars defenseman was knocked unconscious and had to be wheeled away on a stretcher.
The Predators fans' response to Modano's record-setting moment was to boo and chant, "Modano's a baby."
By Gil LeBreton
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

and "Modano's a baby"? Did they even come to Nashville to cover the game?

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:16 PM
DeathFromAbove

For the record, I am a Hurricanes fan so Modano's supposed disrespect to Nashville hits me just as much as it does you, and with that being said I am still with the attitude of get over it.

Mike Modano is an elite player, and his play contributed to the Stars success early in their franchise's existence and thus, brought in fans to the games. This gave proof to disbelievers that hockey could work in southern markets like Texas, and gave way to the creation of franchises in markets like Atlanta & Nashville.

I repeat, whether you like him or not Modano achieved a pretty significant milestone and should at least get your respect, you don't even need to clap or anything but booing him was low and yes, childlike.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
EatSleepJeep

They can't print the real word in the paper. They have standards. Unlike the Preds fans in attendance.

booya.

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:20 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
For the record, I am a Hurricanes fan so Modano's supposed disrespect to Nashville hits me just as much as it does you, and with that being said I am still with the attitude of get over it.
Just curious, but where do you live and how'd you become a fan of the Hurricanes?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
But they are booing the classless behavior of your fans. And even if they shouldn't be doing it, it hardly justifies your fanbase's behavior.
sorry I don't mean to troll, I am trying to stay as least bias as I can but is Detriot classless for yelling red while singing the national anthem, I think Carolina does it to

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:23 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Just curious, but where do you live and how'd you become a fan of the Hurricanes?
I don't see how this is relevant.

If the Hurricanes were contracted, it would hit me just as hard as someone living in Raleigh.

Modano has his opinion, like he is entitled to. Rod Brind'Amour recently stated that he thinks we should get rid of the 4th line. I highly doubt when he reaches a major milestone 4th liners across the league are going to join in unison and boo him, because there is a certain level of respect for a player of that calibre, even if you don't agree with them on certain issues or like them personally.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:25 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
sorry I don't mean to troll, I am trying to stay as least bias as I can but is Detriot classless for yelling red while singing the national anthem, I think Carolina does it to
Well, I'm going to bite my tongue on Detroit. I'm too biased about them to form any legit opinion here. And I've never heard Carolina say anything. In my opinion, chanting of any sort during the national anthem is classless. The only thing I like hearing is when 'Hawks fans cheer during the anthem. Any other sort of behavior is disrespectful in my book and a fair bit more classless than not acknowledging someone for an achievement.

Old
03-19-2007, 09:30 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Well, I'm going to bite my tongue on Detroit. I'm too biased about them to form any legit opinion here. And I've never heard Carolina say anything. In my opinion, chanting of any sort during the national anthem is classless. The only thing I like hearing is when 'Hawks fans cheer during the anthem. Any other sort of behavior is disrespectful in my book and a fair bit more classless than not acknowledging someone for an achievement.
ok that is a good answer. I respect that opinion and I guess the chanting only happens based out of tradition. I don't think there is any harm in the chanting but that is my opinion and take that for what it's worth

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:31 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:

If the Hurricanes were contracted, it would hit me just as hard as someone living in Raleigh.

Modano has his opinion, like he is entitled to. Rod Brind'Amour recently stated that he thinks we should get rid of the 4th line, I highly doubt when he reaches a major milestone 4th liners across the league are going to join in unison and boo him because there is a certain level of respect for a player of that calibre even if you don't agree with them on certain issues or like them personally.
I think it is absolutely relevant and if you answer the question, you'll see it. I ask again, how'd you become a 'Canes fan?

And quit saying he's entitled to it. Of course he's entitled to it. He's also entitled to the reaction that ensues. And if that means he gets his feelings hurt because no one celebrates his milestone, that's life. Freedom of speech is a two way street.

I'm not even touching that analogy. If that's what you equate our feelings to, then so be it.

Old
03-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Olaf

[QUOTE=DeathFromAbove;8570335]I don't see how this is relevant.

QUOTE]

ummm....no it wouldn't...Are you a season ticket holder? Have you invested a significant part of your living budget to the team?

The comments by Brind'Amour are a long way from what Modano said to two distinctive cities...(neither of which you live in).

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

Modano has his opinion, like he is entitled to. Rod Brind'Amour recently stated that he thinks we should get rid of the 4th line. I highly doubt when he reaches a major milestone 4th liners across the league are going to join in unison and boo him, because there is a certain level of respect for a player of that calibre, even if you don't agree with them on certain issues or like them personally.
He is entitled to his opinion, and has a right to express it in the way he did.

Likewise, so are we, and so do we.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Pred303

poile's reply to lite's comments, correcting the notion that the stars had "requested" anything for modano prior to the game... and his answers about what happened.. (where he says just what some have mentioned, that due to the 'situation' it was determined to call out modano's goal would have been an embarressment at the time)

then comments on toots suspension..

pred fans will like this interview (click the poile link if it doesn't start up).. really like the part where he jumps on lite's professionalism at near the end of the interview

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...?story_id=1283

Last edited by Pred303: 03-19-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
poile's reply to lite's comments, correcting the notion that the stars had "requested" anything for modano prior to the game... and his answers about what happened.. (where he says just what some have mentioned, that due to the 'situation' it was determined to not call out modano's goal would have been an embarressment)

then comments on toots suspension..

pred fans will like this interview (click the poile link if it doesn't start up).. really like the part where he jumps on lite's professionalism at near the end of the interview

http://hfboards.com/newreply.php?do=...te=1&p=8570639
that's just a link to a reply here on hf

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:49 PM
preds418

Let me assist

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...?story_id=1283

preds418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
SmokeyClause

I changed 303's post a bit to include it. (hope I didn't overstep my bounds, 303, just agreed with you that people need to read this interview).

Old
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds418 View Post
thats awesome

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
SmokeyClause

After listening to that, the only classless individual or group of individuals is Dallas' own Lite.

Old
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Pred303

Quote:
I changed 303's post a bit to include it. (hope I didn't overstep my bounds, 303, just agreed with you that people need to read this interview).
no, appreciate it smokey..

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
preds418

I will say I am more proud to have Poile as our GM. Not only has be built a great team in my opinion, he is very professional and classy. His points about protocol on league player recognition (which never happened) and the fact that Dallas' Liles reveiled the Predators private vote on the schedule really shows the lack of professionalism that Liles represents for his organization.

I also loved his point about the context of the goal. If they did roll out the red carpet, it would likely have been embarrassing to Modano based on event that just happened on the ice. I also hear the emotion in his voice when he said "5 game suspension" when discussing TooToo. He is obviously in disagreement on the ruling.

Excellent come back Poile!

preds418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Honestly, I would have made mention of it, from the perspective of trying to sell the game FWIW. I understand that the notion of most Americans is that the vast majority of players are Canadian (it's only about 52% in reality), and as many mentions of this accomplishment as possible is warranted.

Anyways, here is another link to the story from a Dallas Paper:
Dallas Morning News: Lites - Nashville failed hockey

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:47 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
Honestly, I would have made mention of it, from the perspective of trying to sell the game FWIW. I understand that the notion of most Americans is that the vast majority of players are Canadian (it's only about 52% in reality), and as many mentions of this accomplishment as possible is warranted.[/URL]
I've seen this argument a few times and it makes less and less sense each time I read it. Just how would the Preds mentioning of the accomplishment help sell the game? All it would have done was piss off Preds fans. If it really is to grow the game, it needs to be broadcast on a national level. And according to David Poile, the NHL was not too interested in the record. Why should the Preds be?

Old
03-20-2007, 12:38 AM
NHL33*

I didn't really hear much from the NHL overall about the record, to be quite honest. Perhaps the NHL dropped the ball, or perhaps they thought it wasn't too big of a deal. I don't know either way.

Anyways, considering the tension between the two teams (there is a rivalry, no?), I wouldn't expect Nashville to give him a celebration. He states the team should be eliminated, and in conjunction with the uncalled penalty, it's fairly understandable. I think it's a lot of smoke over nothing. That's my impartial view on the matter...take it as you will.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm glad Poile stood up for this organization. Lites really needs to learn a bit about etiquette and professionalism.

03-20-2007, 02:03 AM
PeterAngelo

Didnt the Dallas fans boo Scott Stevens when he won the conn smythe in 2000? Then chanting "Eddie, Eddie" in reference to the stellar play of ed belfour in the series when Stevens was receiving the award. Because that sounds pretty classless, Or am I thinking of some other team?

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:38 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I don't remember that, but it could have happened.

But some New Jersey fans did boo Giguere when he won the Conn Smythe in 2003.

Put in the right (or wrong) situation, all fans of all sports can be classless. Really, there are no "classy" fans. Oh sure, you might applaud an accomplishment, but after the play starts everyone goes back to jeering the opposition and lauding the home team, and cursing the officials. If fans were so classy, this would be the freaking opera and we would politely wait until the play is over before lightly clapping our hands and no one player, team, or official would ever be heckled by fans.

And I guess this makes me as bad as Leipold, but I agree with not changing the schedule next year. They voted for 3 years, so finish the 3 years. I don't want to play Det. 8 times, but I want to see Ovechkin come here and with this schedule it's the only way to ensure he finally comes to Nashville. And that Crosby, Malkin finally go to Western Canada. And that Toronto has to actually travel outside their time zone to the Pacific Division.

And St.Mike did get the net, so they can't say we didn't show any respect at all towards him.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote