HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Rangers 7:00 pm ET (Vs. TSN)

Old
03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I'm as ecstatic as anyone with the win, but Prucha's 7.5 minutes was something that I frowned at. I noticed from the middle of the second period on that he was not getting a regular shift. Honestly, although Isbister did some good work down low in the corners, I think Prucha should play left wing on that line.
I think Renney doesn't trust Prucha defensively...but maybe I'm making that up. Just seemed like when the game got tight, he was reluctant to play Prucha, and wanted to ride the confidence Callahan has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
How did Strudwick play?
Solid. Didn't notice him much out there, but that's a good thing I guess.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
How did Strudwick play?
You didnt really notice him, which is exactly what I want from a Ranger D man

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
You didnt really notice him, which is exactly what I want from a Ranger D man
He played Crosby pretty great at the end and limited him to a really crazy angle bad pass from the side.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

At the end of the day the Pens should beat the Rangers, but the Ranger outshot them and deserved the win.
What do you mean? Just because the Pens have more points they should have won? I don't understand that comment. You could say that about every single game and every team that has more points.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
How did Strudwick play?
He didn't do much to stand out, which is fine by me. There was a shift late in the third where he was on Crosby behind the net, and played him perfectly. I was nervous but he held his own. I mean, he's a seventh d-man, but he was fine for what we're asking of him (though I'd prefer he not be out against the other team's best player).

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
What do you mean? Just because the Pens have more points they should have won? I don't understand that comment. You could say that about every single game and every team that has more points.
Yeah, and I think we all agree that the Rangers ought to have about 8-10 more points than they do. IMHO, the Pens have overachieved while we have underachieved.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Screaming Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
Last 10 games, GAA 1.45, SV% .945

Lundy to team -- "Jump on my back -- we're going to the playoffs!!"

Screaming Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:30 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
i think he means talentwise pittsburgh is the better team.. and not only talentwise.. they showed it over the course of the season penguins are a better team.. the standings are a good indication for that theory.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
i think he means talentwise pittsburgh is the better team.. and not only talentwise.. they showed it over the course of the season penguins are a better team.. the standings are a good indication for that theory.
They don't have Hank

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

Quote:
But like I said, you can say that about every game. So you might as well not play the games. It's just a waste of time comment to make.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
At the end of the day the Pens should beat the Rangers, but the Ranger outshot them and deserved the win.
Why? We've played them pretty evenly all year. We flat out demolished them tonight and we should've won by quite a bit more, IMO.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:38 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
But like I said, you can say that about every game. So you might as well not play the games. It's just a waste of time comment to make.

oh well, if we would cut all the comments out that are a waste of space this game day thread wouldnt be 28 pages long.
nothing id get worked up of.

just a comment

Old
03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
They don't have Hank
but we do!

Old
03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

There was a poll a few weeks about about what we wanted to see from the Rangers for the remainder of the season and I posted that I wanted to see hard work and commitment and a sense of them wanting the playoffs.

Over the last 2-3 weeks, I have gotten that in spades. This team today, right now, looks ALOT like last years team that played so well during the season. It seems like the room has become more cohesive, or they have not aired their dirty laundry. They are grittier, there's more (as Renney comments all the time) of a willingness to engage the opposition and this is a fun team to watch again.

If I were Renney I'd be looking forward to the nice problem he's going to have when bodies start healing. I know Dubinsky is going to the minors, but we have Shanny, Straka and Hossa all out right now.

Dubinsky, Orr and Callahan (though it would be a mistake to send him down) are the kids that will be casualties of healthy bodies coming back.

A good problem to have no question, but one that can derail this nice run we are having.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
What do you mean? Just because the Pens have more points they should have won? I don't understand that comment.
I think what he means is...

Rags were a desperate team, fighting for playoff spot, they played like one, give them credit for it.

Pens were a tired team and it showed.... 20-4-2 since Christmas, 7-0-1 in their last 8, and 5 games in 7 days.

Rags took full advantage of that, outplayed a tired team for 60 minutes, and deserved the 2 points.

Make sense now?

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

My Post Game Thoughts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35s_Cs9kSU

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
It's great to see Callahan getting more and more ice time but it is at the expense of Prucha right now. Too bad Renney doesn't turn around and bench Isbister once in a while for Prucha.

Anybody else see the Hollweg/Betts/Orr line out there AGAIN with under two minutes remaining? Tho I'll take the two points anyday!

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
alkurtz

I've been a Ranger fan since about 1960 and I can't recall them ever making a last season playoff push like this. It just warms my heart!!!!! Usually we are crashing and tumbling down the other way.
The only other comparable situation I can recall happened in 1970, when they had to win on the last day to make the playoffs and score a ton of goals (the NHL had a stupid tie break system based on goals scored). A Sunday afternoon at the Garden vs. the Wings and the Rangers stormed out and scored 2 or 3 goals in the first two minutes (anyone remember Jack Egers?). They won something like 10-5, even pulling Giacomin at points during the game when they had the lead in an attempt to score goals. That night even though they were losing, Montreal kept pulling their goalie in an attempt to score goals. Rangers and Habs ended up with the same record but the Rangers made it in based on 246 goals scored vs. 244 for Montreal. Needless to say the NHL changed their tie break system soon after.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:45 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post

Rags were a desperate team, fighting for playoff spot, they played like one, give them credit for it.

Pens were a tired team and it showed.... 20-4-2 since Christmas, 7-0-1 in their last 8, and 5 games in 7 days.

Rags took full advantage of that, outplayed a tired team for 60 minutes, and deserved the 2 points.

Make sense now?
Don't worry, I'm sure we were pretty tired out there too, having played two back to back games a day ago and scoring 7 in one of them...

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

I always miss the last 5-7 minutes on Vs. when I record it because those idiots only have the game scheduled for 2 1/2 hours.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
I agree that you are what your record says you are. I've never been one to dispute that, but the Penguins have played better than everyone expected (not much better because I think most expected a PO push). Conversely I think that the Rangers have played very very poorly at times. So much so that it's really surprising that they are in this position.

They showed a stat tonight that the Rangers were 25-9-5 when scoring first yet they are 12-6-3 when they have 2 goal leads and 0-3-3 in those games since February.

Had the Rangers gone 4-1-1 they are comfortably in a PO spot right next to the Pens.

I think that the Pens are more talented than the Rangers, but I like our goalie better (alot better) and I do like our Defence better as well because while I think our D is soft, there's no question that the Pens D is just as soft and not nearly as talented, just yet.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
yes thats what i was ****ing talking about
This type of post is hilarious. As if what he said had absolutely anything to do with losing the shutout.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
The Pens have twice the team we do. On paper, and in execution with one GLARING difference. We have Henrik, and he has been playing OUT OF HIS MIND since Xmas.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:50 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I've been a Ranger fan since about 1960 and I can't recall them ever making a last season playoff push like this. It just warms my heart!!!!! Usually we are crashing and tumbling down the other way.
The only other comparable situation I can recall happened in 1970, when they had to win on the last day to make the playoffs and score a ton of goals (the NHL had a stupid tie break system based on goals scored). A Sunday afternoon at the Garden vs. the Wings and the Rangers stormed out and scored 2 or 3 goals in the first two minutes (anyone remember Jack Egers?). They won something like 10-5, even pulling Giacomin at points during the game when they had the lead in an attempt to score goals. That night even though they were losing, Montreal kept pulling their goalie in an attempt to score goals. Rangers and Habs ended up with the same record but the Rangers made it in based on 246 goals scored vs. 244 for Montreal. Needless to say the NHL changed their tie break system soon after.

Jack Egers reference, I love it. Didn't we trade Sather for him?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post

Make sense now?
Actually I don't think he meant that at all quite frankly.