HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Rangers 7:00 pm ET (Vs. TSN)

Old
03-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
The Pens have twice the team we do. On paper, and in execution with one GLARING difference. We have Henrik, and he has been playing OUT OF HIS MIND since Xmas.
Yea, but if games were won on paper, the Yankees would have won the last 10 World Series...The Rangers wouldn't have missed the playoffs for 8 years...and, well, you get the idea.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Imagine that
Not all the Pens fans are *******s

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
It's great to see Callahan getting more and more ice time but it is at the expense of Prucha right now. Too bad Renney doesn't turn around and bench Isbister once in a while for Prucha.
Prucha is an interesting enigma defensively. He is NOT a cherrypicker or a floater. However, Renney has a valid point in not playing Prucha late in tight contests.

Not through a lack of effort, but Prucha, especially on the backcheck, doesn't have the natural size or strength to win battles. Now, in the offensive zone, his shifty, wrecking ball nature leads to many turnovers and quick puck steals. But when skating back into the defensive zone, either stride for stride or infront of the net, bigger players reach and strength leave it very hard for Petr to defend.

I can think of at least 5 goals this year where Prucha actually "had" his man but could not contain him as they scored.

On the hand, Callahan absolutely railed a VERY BIG man in Malkin at least twice tonight. Despite his 185lb stature, Cally handled the bigger competition very well tonight.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post
I think what he means is...

Rags were a desperate team, fighting for playoff spot, they played like one, give them credit for it.

Pens were a tired team and it showed.... 20-4-2 since Christmas, 7-0-1 in their last 8, and 5 games in 7 days.

Rags took full advantage of that, outplayed a tired team for 60 minutes, and deserved the 2 points.

Make sense now?
I don't think he means that at all.

Your team did not deserve to skate with our boys tonight. The Rangers have really been coming on strong since December (along with Lundqvist -- go figure) and the season has completely turned around as of late.

They are finally playing up to their abilities, though they should be scoring more.

The Rangers have played pretty much toe to toe with the Pens all year, so you're way off base that we only beat your team because they were tired.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Yea, but if games were won on paper, the Yankees would have won the last 10 World Series...The Rangers wouldn't have missed the playoffs for 8 years...and, well, you get the idea.
hence, why i said on paper AND in execution.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I don't think he means that at all.

Your team did not deserve to skate with our boys tonight. The Rangers have really been coming on strong since December (along with Lundqvist -- go figure) and the season has completely turned around as of late.

They are finally playing up to their abilities, though they should be scoring more.

The Rangers have played pretty much toe to toe with the Pens all year, so you're way off base that we only beat your team because they were tired.

Old
03-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Mistress Mandy

So glad we got those much-needed two points tonight... And in regulation, too. Now we can breathe a little bit easier. (Until Wednesday, that is. Though we shouldn't have a problem with Philadelphia. I hope.)

Mistress Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post
I think what he means is...

Rags were a desperate team, fighting for playoff spot, they played like one, give them credit for it.

Pens were a tired team and it showed.... 20-4-2 since Christmas, 7-0-1 in their last 8, and 5 games in 7 days.

Rags took full advantage of that, outplayed a tired team for 60 minutes, and deserved the 2 points.

Make sense now?
I think he meant rangers were without their 4 of their best players. One being their top goal scorer, and top defenseman. (shanny, straka, tyutin, hossa, rachunek)

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I didn't get to see the game tonight, so why did Prucha only get 7:29 of ice time?

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I didn't get to see the game tonight, so why did Prucha only get 7:29 of ice time?
You want the simple answer? Tom Renney.

Old
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Prucha is an interesting enigma defensively. He is NOT a cherrypicker or a floater. However, Renney has a valid point in not playing Prucha late in tight contests.

Not through a lack of effort, but Prucha, especially on the backcheck, doesn't have the natural size or strength to win battles. Now, in the offensive zone, his shifty, wrecking ball nature leads to many turnovers and quick puck steals. But when skating back into the defensive zone, either stride for stride or infront of the net, bigger players reach and strength leave it very hard for Petr to defend.

I can think of at least 5 goals this year where Prucha actually "had" his man but could not contain him as they scored.

On the hand, Callahan absolutely railed a VERY BIG man in Malkin at least twice tonight. Despite his 185lb stature, Cally handled the bigger competition very well tonight.

I know exactly what you're saying with Prucha. The one goal that really sticks out in my mind was the one Parise had at MSG during the home and home series. Even if Renney has a short leash on Prucha because of his defensive game, wouldn't we be better off with at least giving him some power play time?

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
The Pens have twice the team we do. On paper, and in execution with one GLARING difference. We have Henrik, and he has been playing OUT OF HIS MIND since Xmas.
The GLARING difference is the Rangers now play a solid team defense and tonight is further evidence that the Penguins have a difficult time winning when the other team plays D.

03-19-2007, 10:11 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Time to take a break from blaming Renney for everything. Isn't it getting old?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
ANd it was the right choice...The other three lines were playing great hockey...Prucha-Dubinsky's ice time was being gobbled up by the 4th line (especially Hollweg who had almost 12 mins of ES ice time) who played a very good all around game.Reasonalbe move to me..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Time to take a break from blaming Renney for everything. Isn't it getting old?
I'm not blaming Renney for everything. I'm giving him the simple answer as to why Prucha sat. He wasn't hurt, he didn't play poorly. So the simple answer is Tom Renney (Coach's decision).

I've never been a Renney basher on these boards, so I'd rather not be labled one now.

Old
03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
ANd it was the right choice...The other three lines were playing great hockey...Prucha-Dubinsky's ice time was being gobbled up by the 4th line (especially Hollweg who had almost 12 mins of ES ice time) who played a very good all around game.Reasonalbe move to me..
Me too. Next game the 4th line might only get 5 minutes and Prucha's line 11 or 12.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You could tell Renney was playing to get that single point in the last few minutes. Frustrating beyond belief, but understandable. Why else would Hollweg-Betts-Orr be out there with under 2 minutes left in the game?
I saw that too.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:30 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Only saw the game starting from about 14 min left in the 3rd period, at which point they apparently we'ren't playing the 3rd line much. How'd Dubi look?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
That was a great game! Scuderi errrrrr Jagr comes through in the clutch

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
What do you mean? Just because the Pens have more points they should have won? I don't understand that comment. You could say that about every single game and every team that has more points.
No just the points, for example I probably wouldn't say that about TB.

When you run up against Crosby, Malkin, Staal and a team that in general has more offensive firepower RIGHT NOW (keeping in mind we are without Straka, Shanahan and anyone else outside the first line capable of scoring 20 goals) and considering the fact that Pitts is and has been an incredibly hot team, it's not a very far fetched comment at all.

You let in 2 goals against Pitts and you did a pretty good job. You let in two goals with the current Ranger team (because of said injuries) and you're fighting a very uphill battle.

Put it this way, I place better odds on Pitts being able to score than the Rangers defense being able to shut them down.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
No just the points, for example I probably wouldn't say that about TB.

When you run up against Crosby, Malkin, Staal and a team that in general has more offensive firepower RIGHT NOW (keeping in mind we are without Straka, Shanahan and anyone else outside the first line capable of scoring 20 goals) and considering the fact that Pitts is and has been an incredibly hot team, it's not a very far fetched comment at all.
Yeah you're right. I know what you mean now. At first, I thought you meant they should have won because they out played the Rangers in this game.

Now I see what you are saying and I agree.

Old
03-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Why? We've played them pretty evenly all year. We flat out demolished them tonight and we should've won by quite a bit more, IMO.
Let me clarify, Pitts. is pretty hot and the Rangers are a team battling through injuries to Straka, Shanahan, Hossa, etc. etc.

On most nights I don't think a defense of Girardi, Strudwick, Pock and Malik and an offense that is struggling stops the Pitts. Penguins.

The question isn't whether we should have won tonight, the question is in general that the Penguins normally should not be getting outshot the way they did tonight. Especially in the current context of both teams.

The Rangers DESERVED to win tonight based on how they play, but in general Pitts. probably SHOULD win.

Old
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, and I think we all agree that the Rangers ought to have about 8-10 more points than they do. IMHO, the Pens have overachieved while we have underachieved.
Now I don't necessarily mean based on points, more because of where both teams are now.

Scary thing is if the Rangers paid this much to attention to defense earlier in the season when they had their scorers in the lineup, this team would be a heck of a lot higher in the standings right now.

Old
03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Now I don't necessarily mean based on points, more because of where both teams are now.

Scary thing is if the Rangers paid this much to attention to defense earlier in the season when they had their scorers in the lineup, this team would be a heck of a lot higher in the standings right now.
Leave it to Edge to depress the heck outta a pumped up msg board

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
And they are also pretty hot and this is team battling through injuries to Straka, Shanahan, Hossa, etc. etc.

On most nights I don't think a defense of Girardi, Strudwick, Pock and Malik and an offense that is struggling stops the Pitts. Penguins.

The question isn't whether we should have won tonight, the question is in general that the Penguins normally should not be getting outshot the way they did tonight. Especially in the current context of both teams.
In general, I agree...But, to me, the Pens defense is as suspect (or moreso) then ours,,,And if the rest of the team is thinking too much offense, they can be burned easily...Their coach hs to keep them on an even keel or I can see them getting outsed in the 1st round....Bottom line is that duringthis time of year, team play, smarts and desire can often trump talent/skill..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote