HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Tootoo suspended 5 games....

Old
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
PredDave

vCash: 500
Tootoo suspended 5 games....

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...44/1002/SPORTS

The NHL has handed Predators forward Jordin Tootoo a five-game suspension for striking Dallas defenseman Stephane Robidas on Saturday.

Tootoo will miss the team’s upcoming three-game road trip, as well as home games against Edmonton and Detroit next week. He’ll be eligible to return for the March 31 home game against Dallas.

The suspension stems from a third-period incident that began with Tootoo checking Dallas center Mike Modano.

Robidas skated across the ice at Tootoo to retaliate, and Tootoo leveled the approaching defenseman with a punch to the jaw.

Modano brought his stick down over Tootoo’s upper back following the play.

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Jarnberg

Sounds about right honestly. While Tootoo was defending himself, he shouldn't swing like that.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Pred303

about right... good, he will return in time for the next dallas game.. now that should be interesting

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
PredDave

This is a travesty. Both Phil Esposito & Mark Messier agreed that Tootoo should NOT be suspended....

Oh well, the "new" NHL has become a softer, gentler league of European-style hockey, full of "illegal stickwork" and too many Robidas type of players that "after a legal hit, they will stir up some trouble".

At least Tootoo will be eligible for the next Dallas game!

On a side note, I despise Mike Modano.

I guess it could be worse, but I totally DISAGREE with the ruling.

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I think 5 is a bit excessive given the circumstances. 1 would have been sufficient.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
This is a travesty. Both Phil Esposito & Mark Messier agreed that Tootoo should NOT be suspended....

Oh well, the "new" NHL has become a softer, gentler league of European-style hockey, full of "illegal stickwork" and too many Robidas type of players that "after a legal hit, they will stir up some trouble".

While I agree in essence, the NHL looked at the outcome of the incident and in turn, don't want more black eye stories for the NHL. They're going to suspend players for incidents which could possibly bring bad press to the NHL.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
While I agree in essence, the NHL looked at the outcome of the incident and in turn, don't want more black eye stories for the NHL. They're going to suspend players for incidents which could possibly bring bad press to the NHL.
Welcome to the P*ssified New World Order

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Olaf

glad they decided it..... Now hope the boys just concentrate on bigger issues..

So does this mean Hordichuck will flank Kariya and Foppa?

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oh, ok, let's all listen to the dinosaurs then. They know best.

And @

"Robidas skated across the ice at Tootoo to retaliate, and Tootoo leveled the approaching defenseman with a punch to the jaw."

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 06:17 PM
irisheyes555

i said about 2~5 in the other thread, so that fits. nichol got more games because he threw a blindsided punch. toots was a heads up on a third man, so that is why i think it was about half of nichols. what toots did was wrong, but i can understand why he did it. like mckenzie said, bring your stick up to face level or hands up to block any incoming blow. you can't let players start throwing preimtive blows for what might happen. i know with witt, there was a feint involved(so at that point it was on according to campbell). if both guys wanted to go, then drop them and go that is how you would resolve it. that is the way it should be handled. of course you could get someone like avery who makes marginal hits and then turtles.

the problem is now when a star has anything happen to them(right or wrong), you have another player coming in to defend him as opposed to the offended star player standing up for himself. of course the other half of that glass it you don't want goons trying to pick fights with stars just so they can both get penalties. hopefully toots can handle himself should this arise again. he will need to have his head on a swivel when he gets back for the dallas game. if we face the stars in the playoffs, we could have the whole avs/wings thing going again. maybe then we can get some national games(to bad it is for the wrong reason). now i wonder if gary will say anything to lites? not that minor fines to rich people do much good (see another outspoken dallas franchise leader in the NBA).

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:

I think this is a solid suspension.

And btw, Esposito is a clown, he doesn't know **** about the game anymore. He's one suit away from being like Cherry.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I think this is a solid suspension.

And btw, Esposito is a clown, he doesn't know **** about the game anymore. He's one suit away from being like Cherry.
I think your treatment of an all-time great (or let's see how did you put it...class act, stud, been around forever) in Espo is harsh, did he want you contracted?

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 07:05 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I think 3-5 games is appropriate. I'm excited for the March 31st game now that's for sure...

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 07:31 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
so Darcy picks up a few extra minutes per game and then Tootoo comes back.

Doesnt really change anything.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
mmneely932

How many did Modano get for that retaliatory stick across 22's back?

mmneely932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmneely932 View Post
How many did Modano get for that retaliatory stick across 22's back?
absolutely nothing

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think the NHL showed its true colors today: Yellow.

They have no qualms in suspending third and fourth liners. I have no problem with Tootoo and Nichol being suspended if the league is serious about cracking down on these types of situations. Unfortunately, they show they are not on the same incident regarding a different player: Mike Modano.

The NHL's favoritism is absolutely appalling.

03-19-2007, 07:58 PM
xEx

Add Keith Jones (of Philly & TSN fame) to those who thought Tootoo should get zero games.

Toronto Radio (Fan 590) discussed it today, they were a little unclear on some of the details and Tootoo's past or lack of with Colin Campbell's department. But it was a decent talk and got into more of "the code" and it's role in what happened and how the NHL doesn't send real messages with there suspensions.

Case in point, would anybody be in a rage if Tootoo got 6 games and was out of the Dallas game on the 31st? No, but they give him 5 games and will use this event to their advantage to improve ratings and attract fans.

It's the first 15 minutes or so and most of there discussion is before the 5 games is made public, they actually get the 5 game report while on the air.

http://www.fan590.com/features/primetimesports.jsp - Click on the 03-19-2007 link.

I also hope Colin Campbell releases the details of how he came up with the number 5, I always find it interesting when he make comparisons to past events and his logic behind the assessment.

PS - I wonder if Dallas is holding a parade for Colin Campbell or making March 19th Colin Campbell day, since they love commemorating franchise events.

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I felt 3, but it's a far cry from the "suspension on level with what Simon got" that some were clamoring for.

5 I can live with. What will Trotz do without his number one hombre?

Something Pete and Terry were discussing...

Why hasn't Zidlicky been tried on the wing? They were observing the fact that his one on one moves and stickhandling are about as good as anyone on the team's. He'd be able to go in deep behind the net, where he'd be able to use his passing ability without fear of getting caught...and best of all, his defensive responsibilities would be greatly reduced. While we're down a couple of wings, I wouldn't mind seeing that tried out.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 08:07 PM
dulzhok

IMO, Tootoo is a semi-dirty player, who carefully walks the line (unlike, say, Avery). To me, Tootoo's actions in this are just that: semi-dirty. I laughed when I saw this. Tootoo fought evil with evil. Tootoo's evil was "more evil" than Robias, but Robias was the first to try to initiate evil.

The f-up part of suspensions in the NHL is it's always about what the result of the actions are (where they injured?), not the action it self.

The worst action in this Modoano using his stick as a weapon and striking Tootoo when he had his back turned. But, again, there was no injury to Tootoo, so I guesss the NHL will wait for another McSorely/Simon situation to crack down on that again.

I hope Tootoo does the same thing to the next guy that tries to run him from behind! 5 games, well worth it! Yes, I am a semi-evil person, especially when someone provokes me with evil. If someone comes at me with a knife, I may respond with a gun!

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-19-2007 at 08:54 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
EatSleepJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEx View Post
Case in point, would anybody be in a rage if Tootoo got 6 games and was out of the Dallas game on the 31st? No, but they give him 5 games and will use this event to their advantage to improve ratings and attract fans.
If they give him 6, then he misses the Dallas game and the Stars make the other Preds pay for Jordin's sins. That would fit nicely with Tootoo's tendency to shrink from payback but which would you rather have?

Hey! Look at the bright side; maybe he'll bite someone again.

EatSleepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 08:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, they'll get Tootoo just like Tyler Wright did, oh wait Tootoo kicked the crap out of him the next game. Or maybe just like St. Louis was going to teach him, owned again.

The worst thing about Tootoo for opposing teams, he actually can fight and is tough as nails.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
This is just a result of the effects of the retaliation. Brashear did the same thing to Brendan Witt about a week ago and got nothing. Its a BS suspension.

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Default101

totally disagree with the suspention, the penalty was enough, if Robidas hadn't gotten KOed by Tootoo's punch it would have been a 5 for fighting a 2 for instigating, but becasue Tootoo beat Robidas to the punch he gets suspended... 5 games? horrible call Robidas was going to go after Tootoo it was clear on the play Jordin just identified it and threw his punch before robidas did.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
totally disagree with the suspention, the penalty was enough, if Robidas hadn't gotten KOed by Tootoo's punch it would have been a 5 for fighting a 2 for instigating, but becasue Tootoo beat Robidas to the punch he gets suspended... 5 games? horrible call Robidas was going to go after Tootoo it was clear on the play Jordin just identified it and threw his punch before robidas did.
The League penalized the result rather than the incident

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 03-19-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: wrong word
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote