HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Rangers 7:00 pm ET (Vs. TSN)

Old
03-19-2007, 10:54 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
Someone please tell me how people are blaming Pock for the lone goal? As the play unfolded, Roszival stepped up and play Malkin which was the correct play. That left Jagr one on one with the winger, which he promptly dogged it and allowed him to get loose. Pock made the correct play to slide over and cut off the breaking winger. He even blocked the pass, unfortunately Roszival lollygagged it back and Nylander who should have supported Roszival never came back, the Pens got a great bounce right to the open Pen.

Pock has actually been pretty solid. He's learning to play defense at the NHL level. I give him a big pat on the back for realizing that he has to learn the defensive side of the game. Just as some of the sam people hung Renney out to dry regarding Hossa, you are now startung to see what the results of good coaching does. It certainly is not the kind of EA Sports coaching that many on here got their coaching certficates from, but it works for Renney and teh coaching staff.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Leave it to Edge to depress the heck outta a pumped up msg board
Well, all that matters is the present...

5 MORE WINS AND WE'RE IN!!!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I've been a Ranger fan since about 1960 and I can't recall them ever making a last season playoff push like this. It just warms my heart!!!!! Usually we are crashing and tumbling down the other way.
The only other comparable situation I can recall happened in 1970, when they had to win on the last day to make the playoffs and score a ton of goals (the NHL had a stupid tie break system based on goals scored). A Sunday afternoon at the Garden vs. the Wings and the Rangers stormed out and scored 2 or 3 goals in the first two minutes (anyone remember Jack Egers?). They won something like 10-5, even pulling Giacomin at points during the game when they had the lead in an attempt to score goals. That night even though they were losing, Montreal kept pulling their goalie in an attempt to score goals. Rangers and Habs ended up with the same record but the Rangers made it in based on 246 goals scored vs. 244 for Montreal. Needless to say the NHL changed their tie break system soon after.
Right there with you Al...It's funny, a month ago I was ready to give up on this team but the last month is the most fun I've had watching a Ranger team in years.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Larry Melnyk

BTW, didn't want to read back thru the Thread, but was everybody else as impressed with Girardi as I was....Very impressive in an ubassuming way and getting better and more confident every game...His concsitency is why I always favored him over Barnak, Liffiton and the others...Gonna be a solid player for us for years...Unlike Pock..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

I was there tonight..and i just wanted to say how great the garden was tonight, and how great we looked...this is the most confidence i ve seen them play with all season, even after we let up that 1 goal lead, there was just a diffrent feeling from the team this time, like we werent going to panic....great 2 points boys..now just think philli philli philli....1 game at a time boys...Lets Go Rangers!

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
When you run up against Crosby, Malkin, Staal and a team that in general has more offensive firepower RIGHT NOW (keeping in mind we are without Straka, Shanahan and anyone else outside the first line capable of scoring 20 goals) and considering the fact that Pitts is and has been an incredibly hot team, it's not a very far fetched comment at all.
Even with Straka & Shanahan your point is still valid when it comes to 10+ goal scoring depth...

Brendan Shanahan GP 58 G 28
Martin Straka GP 69 G 27

Jaromir Jagr GP 72 G 24
Michael Nylander GP 69 G 22
Petr Prucha GP 70 G 18
Matt Cullen GP 70 G15
Sean Avery GP 74 G14
Marcel Hossa GP 64 G 10
=====================
Sidney Crosby GP 68 G 32
Evgeni Malkin GP 67 G 31
Jordan Staal GP 70 G 28
Mark Recchi GP 71 G 22
Erik Christensen GP 50 G 16
Gary Roberts GP 59 G 16
Ryan Malone GP 53 G 15
Michel Ouellet GP 62 G 16
Sergei Gonchar GP 71 G 13
Maxime Talbot GP 64 G 11
Ryan Whitney GP 71 G 11
Colby Armstrong GP 69 G 10

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:16 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I was on a plane tonight so I missed the game but from what I've seen scanning through the notes here and fast forwarding through the video, it appears that Betts-Orr & Holleweg were actually used tonight as a bona fide checking line. I even thought I saw Renney matching lines a little...can anyone else expand on this. They look to have been pretty effective.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:20 PM
rustycage87

yeah i missed the game as well, but it sounds like an awesome finish. rock on baby! 7th place!

rustycage87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
In general, I agree...But, to me, the Pens defense is as suspect (or moreso) then ours,,,And if the rest of the team is thinking too much offense, they can be burned easily...Their coach hs to keep them on an even keel or I can see them getting outsed in the 1st round....Bottom line is that duringthis time of year, team play, smarts and desire can often trump talent/skill..
When healthy, yes.

But with a defense that currently features Malik, Pock, Strudwick, etc. and is lacking Tyutin, not so much.

Plus when all is said and done, Pitts. might not have the best defense but they're offense (and moreso their depth) make them a hard team to play against if their defense hangs them out to dry for 3 goals.

Now if the Rangers have Straka, Shanahan, Tyutin and gosh even Hossa (can't believe I just said that), than I think the gap is closed.

But I think you'd be hard pressed to find people willing to battle against Staal, Malkin, Crosby, Recchi, Roberts, Malone, Christiansen, even Gonchar and Whitney with a defense that has Malik, Strudwick, Pock and nice but not great prospect named Girardi at it's core. And that's without figuring out who on the Rangers can score.

Rangers deserved to win tonight, but I think Pitts wins far more than they lose if you throw tonight's lineups against each other 10 times.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post
Even with Straka & Shanahan your point is still valid when it comes to 10+ goal scoring depth...

Martin Straka GP 69 G 27

Jaromir Jagr GP 72 G 24
Petr Prucha GP 70 G 18
Matt Cullen GP 70 G15
Sean Avery GP 74 G14
Marcel Hossa GP 64 G 10
=====================
Sidney Crosby GP 68 G 32
Evgeni Malkin GP 67 G 31
Jordan Staal GP 70 G 28
Mark Recchi GP 71 G 22
Gary Roberts GP 59 G 16
Ryan Malone GP 53 G 15
Maxime Talbot GP 64 G 11
Ryan Whitney GP 71 G 11
Considering that your team is obviously the best in the world, how in God's name did you manage to lose to the MEASLY rangers who have only 8 10+ goal scorers.

Oh, the horror. Probably the biggest upset of ALL TIME right now.

David kills (and really wipes the floor with) Goliath.

Last edited by Bird Law: 03-19-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Great game!!! We need to keep going. I didnt like that prucha didnt play much at the end, he should be on the PP no matter what, 18 goals he has after him being scratch 3rd 4th lines and all the other crap, he may be a defensive liability but he deserves PP play time. Anyway lets keep it going. LETS GO RANGERS

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
When healthy, yes.

Rangers deserved to win tonight, but I think Pitts wins far more than they lose if you throw tonight's lineups against each other 10 times.
No arguement, but if the a few of the players are healthy...And the less t alented team plays with more desire, teamwork and smarts, they can easily win a series...happens all the time..

Old
03-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
No arguement, but if the a few of the players are healthy...And the less t alented team plays with more desire, teamwork and smarts, they can easily win a series...happens all the time..
Well yes if health, desire, teamwork and smarts come together and pluto, mars and venus are in alignment and Tito, Jermaine and Michael reunite and Dubya learned to reach people on a Reagan like-scale than good things could happen.

There's just no less than 5 "if's" in the equation here and admitedly those are not this team's strengths.

And really the comment wasn't whether the Rangers COULD but whether it normally SHOULD. Of which I've now spent the last hour and a half explaining instead of working

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:33 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruchaYeah View Post
Great game!!! We need to keep going. I didnt like that prucha didnt play much at the end, he should be on the PP no matter what, 18 goals he has after him being scratch 3rd 4th lines and all the other crap, he may be a defensive liability but he deserves PP play time. Anyway lets keep it going. LETS GO RANGERS
Prucha is no more of a defensive liability than jagr, nylander, or any of those top line guys.....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
dank

Quote:

Martin Straka GP 69 G 27

Jaromir Jagr GP 72 G 24
Petr Prucha GP 70 G 18
Matt Cullen GP 70 G15
Sean Avery GP 74 G14
Marcel Hossa GP 64 G 10
=====================
Sidney Crosby GP 68 G 32
Evgeni Malkin GP 67 G 31
Jordan Staal GP 70 G 28
Mark Recchi GP 71 G 22
Gary Roberts GP 59 G 16
Ryan Malone GP 53 G 15
Maxime Talbot GP 64 G 11
Ryan Whitney GP 71 G 11
Marcel Hossa scored 10 goals..!! i love him

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:46 PM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
The Pens have twice the team we do. On paper, and in execution with one GLARING difference. We have Henrik, and he has been playing OUT OF HIS MIND since Xmas.
while i see where you are coming from, I have to respectfully disagree. I think the Rangers have a nice setup on paper as well. Yes the Pens have Sid and Malkin, but beyond that it's not very deep IN COMPARISON to NYR. I like our team in terms of skill, plus I think we have a better mix of vets and hungry kids. Perhaps this isn't worth arguing, but despite our record against them, we have played them tight and ough all year, I don't think you can say they are superior to us in any way

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Right there with you Al...It's funny, a month ago I was ready to give up on this team but the last month is the most fun I've had watching a Ranger team in years.
There was a point where I did give up on them, during that last bad losing streak. Then I happened to look at the standings and realized that all the teams around them were playing pretty bad too, so we didn't lose much ground... I figured if we could put some points up, we had a shot. Lo and behold...

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:51 PM
rickyrod

Jagr got first star on the night at nhl.com.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Other Little Mikey

I know there's still a long way to go, but this stretch drive is reminding me a bit of the Oilers last year with the crazy-dramatic wins. Hopefully it turns out the same way for you! (Well, maybe with one more win.)

Good luck, Rangers!

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Well yes if health, desire, teamwork and smarts come together and pluto, mars and venus are in alignment and Tito, Jermaine and Michael reunite and Dubya learned to reach people on a Reagan like-scale than good things could happen.

:
Given who the final 4 were last season, guess that happesn alot..

Eh, but so far OT, I know the Penns are a better team right now, andthat's what you were sayin,

Old
03-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Jagr got first star on the night at nhl.com.
haha I guess they didn't watch the game. Were there no other games going on tonight?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Balej20*

Quote:

Martin Straka GP 69 G 27

Jaromir Jagr GP 72 G 24
Petr Prucha GP 70 G 18
Matt Cullen GP 70 G15
Sean Avery GP 74 G14
Marcel Hossa GP 64 G 10
=====================
Sidney Crosby GP 68 G 32
Evgeni Malkin GP 67 G 31
Jordan Staal GP 70 G 28
Mark Recchi GP 71 G 22
Gary Roberts GP 59 G 16
Ryan Malone GP 53 G 15
Maxime Talbot GP 64 G 11
Ryan Whitney GP 71 G 11
Ok, we get your point. Your team is far superior to ours.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Ok, we get your point. Your team is far superior to ours.
They are the best team in the NHL.

It's quite obvious.

So far better than anyone else.

They will win 16 straight games en route to the Stanley Cup.

Undefeated.

The whole team, who are all gods, will receive the Conn Smythe, rather than an individual.

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you the 2006/2007 Pittsburgh Penguins: The greatest hockey team ever assembled of all time.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Pizza

Just a few thoughts on the game tonight.

Out standing effort. Really. Just a solid, playoff game type effort all the way through.

A few individuals that stood out:

Nyls and Jagr skated their butts off the whole night and created a ton of chances which ultimately led to the winning goal. Jagr to me still does not have any where near his normal shot and he still seems to be efforting his stride much of the time. But he gutted it out which I love to see. Nylander showed why he can be so hard to contain.

Avery keeps showing game in game out that he's playing the best hockey of his career and that he loves being a Ranger. You truly would hate him in every other place in this universe.....except in your teams uniform.

Girardi never worries me when he has the puck. How refreshing. He always seems to make the smart play.

Pock can be a very different story, but he's also lucky. We'll see how long that holds.

Callahan is not going anywhere. Great game from him.

At the risk of jinxing this thing I'll say the Rangers have something pretty special developing.

F the "EXPERTS". F them all.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 01:02 AM
in the hall

Nylander had 9 shots in this game

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote