HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So who sits for Shanny

Old
03-19-2007, 09:58 PM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Definitely Isbister for me. He hasn't been meshing as much as the other players the last few games. Not to mention that he can't put one in for the life of him

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Onion Boy

Hollweg and Orr have to be in the game against Philthy.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Larry Melnyk

My normal answer would be, the such-and-such Colton Orr....But not against the Flyers, a left for dead team with nothing to lose and a few goons...And I will even admit that Colton played a good game with the 4th liners tonight..ANd showed some nice discipline...So Orr stays...At least for one more game.....

I also liked the way Isbister controls the puck and the boards in the offensive zone, so he stays another night...To me, DUBINSKY SITS...I don't care that he's a kid and has looked decent, it's all about points...

Now, if strak joins Shanny coming back...it's between Isbister and Orr....Depends on the opponent and their strengths.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:06 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
I didn't see the game tonight but if the lines are the same as the other day I would just replace Isbister with Shanny and thats it.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:11 PM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain11 View Post
It boggles my mind how anyone can pick Orr over Isbister. Even when Isbister is off whatever game he possesses, he is twice the player that Colton Orr is.

Isbister-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Dubinsky-Shannahan
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

that is a great lineup, imo
I think they serve different purposes.... You gotta have Orr and Hollweg in vs Philly
this game could get real nasty.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Does having Strudwick in the line-up allow Renney to sit Colton Orr without having to worry about our skill guys getting run at? Isbister drives me nuts. It looks like he has Nylanderaitis sometimes with the way he curls back instead of going right at the damn net.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:24 PM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
I know I am going to get flamed for this. But I want to put forth a disclaimer: this is not a Shanny Bashing post. I love Shanahan and I think he's been a great addition to this team.

Nonetheless, I am a bit worried about the shakeup that this lineup will experience upon a player of his caliber and reputation's return. We have a great deal of momentum right now with the guys we have in the line-up. He will obviously be put in a prominent scoring role, and will take away substantial minutes from guys who have been with us during this streak in which we've amassed at least a point in 10 out of the last 11 games. Also, I've heard from some Wings fans that Shanny has not been effective in the last few post-seasons. For us, our post season has been going on for a few weeks.

Now obviously Renney should and will play Shanny on Wednesday--I would, and only a dope would not. But, this just makes me worried--given the momentum we have going w/ this lineup. Also, what if he is no way near the form we are used to him being him. This can potentially be a huge let-down to the team. I guess that's just the natural inclination of us fatalistic Ranger fans--we think anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

I hope I'm just being nervous and this lineup shakeup will only have positive effects. Hopefully it will help our finishing touch so we don't have to play games that we dominate, like today's game, down till the the last minute.

Again, this is in no way meant to discredit Shanahan. I have been a huge fan of him since his Whaler days. I was at the game when he had the guts to fight Brashear--which I thought contributed to the end of our 7 game losing streak. I just have some reservations--perhaps paranoia is the better word.

P.S.

This also applies to Tyutin for when hes ready to return. He's been my favorite dman this season--but since his absence we have been pretty stingy in our own end. Maybe chemistry sometimes says more than talent. Hopefully, our best dman will return and only add to a D that has really turned it on the last few games.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Toots will replace Strudwick I'd assume. Shanny - Isbister, Straka - Dubinsky, Hossa - Orr. If Callahan gets sent down after the last two games then it is a travesty.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Edge

I'd say Dubinsky goes down so he can actually get some playing time and Isbister stays as a spare part and without the concerns of having to develop him.

If Straka comes back than it's a toss up depending on the game but most likely Orr against teams that aren't as much of a physical thread.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Dubinsky and Isbister will sit for Straka and Shanahan respectively imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
NYROrtsFan

Ultimately, Orr will sit without a doubt i think.

I think the more interesting thing is what the lines will look like against Philly.

The biggest assumption is that Dubinsky goes down for Shanahan.... So who plays center against Philly?

Orr and Hollweg have to play that game i believe too.

Maybe this will force the team to keep and play Dubinsky until Straka comes back leaving Isbister as the only guy to suffer. Put Isbister down... Keeps Dubinsky as the other center and we lose a winger in Isbister but gain one in Shanny.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
DontStaal

Tonight, Renney may have been making a case for prucha to sit

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
philbo

Whoever thought we'd really have a glut of guys we all really want in the lineup?

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
King Prucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronylon View Post
I know I am going to get flamed for this. But I want to put forth a disclaimer: this is not a Shanny Bashing post. I love Shanahan and I think he's been a great addition to this team.

Nonetheless, I am a bit worried about the shakeup that this lineup will experience upon a player of his caliber and reputation's return. We have a great deal of momentum right now with the guys we have in the line-up. He will obviously be put in a prominent scoring role, and will take away substantial minutes from guys who have been with us during this streak in which we've amassed at least a point in 10 out of the last 11 games. Also, I've heard from some Wings fans that Shanny has not been effective in the last few post-seasons. For us, our post season has been going on for a few weeks.

Now obviously Renney should and will play Shanny on Wednesday--I would, and only a dope would not. But, this just makes me worried--given the momentum we have going w/ this lineup. Also, what if he is no way near the form we are used to him being him. This can potentially be a huge let-down to the team. I guess that's just the natural inclination of us fatalistic Ranger fans--we think anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

I hope I'm just being nervous and this lineup shakeup will only have positive effects. Hopefully it will help our finishing touch so we don't have to play games that we dominate, like today's game, down till the the last minute.

Again, this is in no way meant to discredit Shanahan. I have been a huge fan of him since his Whaler days. I was at the game when he had the guts to fight Brashear--which I thought contributed to the end of our 7 game losing streak. I just have some reservations--perhaps paranoia is the better word.

P.S.

This also applies to Tyutin for when hes ready to return. He's been my favorite dman this season--but since his absence we have been pretty stingy in our own end. Maybe chemistry sometimes says more than talent. Hopefully, our best dman will return and only add to a D that has really turned it on the last few games.
The reason he didn't perform as well in the playoffs most likely had to do with him playing an 82 game schedule. With him being out since early February it will give him added jump and hopefully he will play like he did for the first 30 games. In the end I think it will benefit the Rangers by giving them a well rested Shanahan for the stretch run and playoffs.

King Prucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Ola

Tronylon- Very good post!

I also think its a reason for conccern. Its especially up to Shanny to try to come in and "fit in". I do hope and belive that he will be able to do that.

But, I wouldn't take it for given.

Look at Yashin's return for the NYI. He weren't 100%, and I defenitly think that NYI lost a bit of their game when he returned. With Yashin in the lineup they got a center that aren't skating all that much. And he is supposed to be their franchise center.

With Shanny we will loose some speed. At the same time, I do think he will fit in well.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:39 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Anyone notice that Renney seems to think our 4th line is worthy to play against the other teams top line? Did I miss the memo when that line became the shutdown line for our team? Did Jan erixon sneak onto that line? I love the grit and toughness that line supplies but I am very uneasy about them going against the Crosby line all game. Anyone else feel this way?
That just highlights how good Betts was last night. He was very overlooked for his effort. Betts is very solid in his role, and I think is under-appreciated for he brings to this team.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
My normal answer would be, the such-and-such Colton Orr....But not against the Flyers, a left for dead team with nothing to lose and a few goons...And I will even admit that Colton played a good game with the 4th liners tonight..ANd showed some nice discipline...So Orr stays...At least for one more game.....

I also liked the way Isbister controls the puck and the boards in the offensive zone, so he stays another night...To me, DUBINSKY SITS...I don't care that he's a kid and has looked decent, it's all about points...

Now, if strak joins Shanny coming back...it's between Isbister and Orr....Depends on the opponent and their strengths.
The problem remains who plays center? I think you leave the 4th line alone, and re-unite the COP line, and the Avery moves up to play with Nylander and Jagr. When Straka's ready, Dubinsky should be sent down. But, you still need the 4th center. Since, I think Renney will take a cautious approach with Shanny, giving him limited ice time with Dubinsky would work.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:49 AM
geisenNYR

Im guessing Isbister for Shanny and dubinsky for straka.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronylon View Post

P.S.

Actually, you have a valid concern, and it's not a knock on Shanahan. Team chemistry is important, just ask the Islanders. They added Smyth and got Yashin back, but seemed to have lost something in the process.

However, I think Shanahan must realize the team has pulled together in his absence and has been winning with defense. Still, the team will have to adjust, as it has had to do all year (whether to Jagr or Straka being less effective due to injuries, Jagr and Shanahan slumping, or the absence of Nylander/Straka/Shanahan/Hossa, etc.).

Luckily, while every game is termed a "must win" at this point, the next two games against Flyers and Bruins are a good opportunity to see how fit Shanahan back in and get him back to being able to play substantial minutes. After that, 5 of the last 7 games will be against teams competing with Rangers for playoffs, and hopefully Shanahan's presence will give them some added scoring punch for those crucial games.

As far as Tyutin, the Rangers need every good defenseman they can get. I wouldn't rush him back, but they could really use him for the playoffs, if they make it.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:29 AM
WestsideNYR

Well

I agree with the Shanahan return causing a possible disruption and Renneys overutilization of veterans.. It is just plain obvious and poor Prucha has to suffer.

In any event:

Shanahan - Isbister
Dubinsky-Straka
Strudwick-Tyutin
Hossa-Callahan, although this is a toughy. I do not believe Callahan for Prucha is necessary as demonstrated on the PP last night..

We may not be done with injuries yet either, so we'll find out..

WestsideNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
94now

Shanny will replace Orr. No way Brandon is ready for top line.

Isbister-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Shanahan
Prucha-Dubinsky-Ortmeyer

Straka will replace Isbo Sat. There's no sense to force Marty to play C.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Shanahan
Prucha-Dubinsky-Ortmeyer

Second line will stay put regardless. Renney finally got it done. Dubi is here to stay. He is raw, but we got no one better at the moment. Good for kid!

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The problem remains who plays center? I think you leave the 4th line alone, and re-unite the COP line, and the Avery moves up to play with Nylander and Jagr. When Straka's ready, Dubinsky should be sent down. But, you still need the 4th center. Since, I think Renney will take a cautious approach with Shanny, giving him limited ice time with Dubinsky would work.
I agree, that could be a reason to keep Dubisky in..But with healthy bodies, he is the leasteffctive forward (IMO) opinion right now..With healthy bodies, I go wit NYlnader-Straka-Cullen-Betts..ANd, though the 4th line wa good last night, I think it could even be better with with Holly-Betts-Orts as crunch time and tight hockey continues...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Captain11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Shanny will replace Orr. No way Brandon is ready for top line.

Isbister-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Shanahan
Prucha-Dubinsky-Ortmeyer

Straka will replace Isbo Sat. There's no sense to force Marty to play C.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Shanahan
Prucha-Dubinsky-Ortmeyer

Second line will stay put regardless. Renney finally got it done. Dubi is here to stay. He is raw, but we got no one better at the moment. Good for kid!
Respectfully, I must disagree. Why would you jumble the last two lines around? why not just put shanny with prucha and dubinsky, leaving you a solid fourth line of hollweg-betts-orts.

everyone has complained, or atleast mentioned, that Shanny needs a playmaker...well dubi's teh closest thing we're going to get this year to a second line center. Plus, imagine how playing wiht two scorers, one being a sniper, the other a great garbage goal getter, will help with Brandon's development. I bet Shanny could teach the kid a thing or two.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:20 AM
broadwayblue

Are you guys for real? Shanny returning a disruption to team chemistry? Oh boy. Now I've heard everything.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain11 View Post
It boggles my mind how anyone can pick Orr over Isbister. Even when Isbister is off whatever game he possesses, he is twice the player that Colton Orr is.

Isbister-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Dubinsky-Shannahan
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

that is a great lineup, imo
winner

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote