HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two points to discuss--- I ♥ Renney is one..which leads too...

Old
03-20-2007, 02:12 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Two points to discuss--- I ♥ Renney is one..which leads too...

We being 2nd best defensively in the eastern conference right behind the devils. The renney system works, as much you you guys hate him, think he's soft. The guy has stuck to the same plan for 2 straight seasons and well the results tell the rest. I've been a Renney fan and I still stick by the guy. When we where struggling we had ppl questioning his postgame comments, why he seemed like nothing was wrong- well maybe he knew what he was doing.

Now I'm sure someone would bring up henrik, well- the guys been good for 2 months now and we still managed to sturggle and come out with losses. The overall team game has changed. It isn't just henrik anymore- it is the team.

Still if this season's ending with a good streak continues, another coaching nominee is possible.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:25 AM
eco's bones

Well one thing I'll say Fedor--that 3,4,5,6,7 years ago this team would have folded. A lot has to do with Henrik though. He's taken the team on his shoulders and given up almost nothing. We have a chance to win every night because of him. Even so losing Shanahan, Tyutin, Rachunek, Hossa and now Straka down this important stretch of games they have every reason to just give up. They've shown at least so far some heart and resiliency that has been lacking in the past. The young kids have come up and fit in and played well. They've filled the gap. A lot of vets have stepped up too.

Last edited by eco's bones: 03-20-2007 at 12:03 PM.
eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:17 AM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
We being 2nd best defensively in the eastern conference right behind the devils. The renney system works, as much you you guys hate him, think he's soft. The guy has stuck to the same plan for 2 straight seasons and well the results tell the rest.

Still if this season's ending with a good streak continues, another coaching nominee is possible.
I like Renney and what hes done. But I wouldnt go as far to say that hes implemented this same system the last two years. Lately hes been far more conservative, which is expected w/ the rash of injuries. However, the conservatism might explain why we have blown some two goal leads the last few games.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Ola

51tyutin51- I agree 110%. Made this post in the GDT before I saw your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Scary thing is if the Rangers paid this much to attention to defense earlier in the season when they had their scorers in the lineup, this team would be a heck of a lot higher in the standings right now.
Yeah, great point. I also think we have really developed as a team defensivly this season.

Look at how we are playing now, if the other team got the puck under controll, we start to trap right away. Even guys like Hollweg won't go after the puck, Holly lines up about 10 feets from the net and waits for the D do comeout.

Thats far from the ordinary trapping style, were teams almost always backs off, we only traps when the other team are set up and got the puck under controll.

Thats something we practically didn't do at all last season, and when we did it we got run over. Early this season we never backed off. Though I remember one game against Tampa where we really started to use it, and got great results. It were the Orr/Holly-goals game.

These are quotes from that game;
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLoMein View Post
Rangers playing the trap btw... dunno if anyone mentioned/noticed that yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I really like how collected our 1-2-2 have been tonight. Great defense all the way. Even saw Jagr set it up once, directing Hossa.
I gotta say that I am extremely impressed with how Renney got his team playing right now, and it can still get allot better. I am not talking about the results, but the general play. I am not saying that we will win the Cup or stuff like that, but how we are following a system, and how effective that is.

We are handling the puck. We got allot of safe set plays out of our own end. All lines are pretty succesful in the transition game. We loose really few pucks in our own end and in the neutral zone. We are forechecking really well, extremely effective at times. We are really smart there. The LW goes in first, forces a pass, then the C and the RW steps in as the LW are hustling back. With the LW back, there is a option for our D to step up if the C and RW wins the puck. If we don't got a option to forecheck, we back down and trapp. We are executing the trap and the forecheck systems really well.

Thats what I think we are dooing well. There is one thing we aren't dooing all that great, and thats coverge in our own end.

The results, we have outshoot the teams we have played again, 17 out of the last 19 games.

I've seen a ton of people dig out allot of stats of blown leads, reasons for why Renney should go ect.

Were are the Rodent with that stat? Were are the bloggers who want to axe Renney with that stat? Were are Brooks and Co. with that stat?

Rodent today got a pice that we are all Lundqvist, actually, since we always are outshooting the teams we are playing against, one could say that Henrik are only dooing his job, I won't say that but I could!

We have outshot the other team 89% of the time the last quater of the season. If anything, that can be pinned directly on the coach, how the team plays in the big picture, much more so then a decision taken by a single player on the PP ect.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronylon View Post
I like Renney and what hes done. But I wouldnt go as far to say that hes implemented this same system the last two years. Lately hes been far more conservative, which is expected w/ the rash of injuries. However, the conservatism might explain why we have blown some two goal leads the last few games.
I love that we are more conservative. I mean, if the other team got the puck under controll, there is just too much to loose and too little to gain by forechecking.

After the redline were removed, the game became all about making decisions. Here in Europe its all coaches talk about. Before there weren't a single decision to be made, you already had the answear, defense first -- no question asked.

Its only after linechanges and like clears that didn't end up beeing icing that we trap. Otherwise we forecheck really hard, actually harder then most teams.

Old
03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The John Muckler/Ron Low/Glen Sather coached Rangers would have made their vacations plan right after the Columbus game

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The John Muckler/Ron Low/Glen Sather coached Rangers would have made their vacations plan right after the Columbus game
I agree.

Credit is were credits due. Renney shouldn't get the credit for this team hanging in there. Thats up to the players. Neither Tom, nor Scotty B, could have gotten guys like Nedved, Lindros, Poti and Co. -- with no youth in the lineup -- to dig this deep to atleast for now righten this ship.

The players deserves the cred for staying in there. Its not about motivating these days. Any 15 y/o who have seen Hollywood movie could say the right things. The players knows what it takes, they don't need anyone to tell them to work hard, they need to do it. This team are dooing it.

Old
03-20-2007, 08:18 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think THEY ALL get the Credit. From Sather right down to the organization in Hartford...the scouts etc.

The Rangers looking good top to bottom

03-20-2007, 09:02 AM
dave4

I've been a critic of Renney, but he deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team together when we were all but down and out.

That said, you have to wonder what would have happened had we not suffered all those injuries in the last few weeks. Renney was basically forced to infuse youth into the lineup, and the energy they've shown has proven to be contagious.

Would Renney have played any of the youth had we not suffered the injuries? He hinted in a press conference after a loss right before the trade deadline that we may need some additional players. I don't think he was talking about Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Now I'm sure someone would bring up henrik, well- the guys been good for 2 months now and we still managed to sturggle and come out with losses. The overall team game has changed. It isn't just henrik anymore- it is the team.
I would still bring up Henrik, Why?

Henrik has been playing very well since Christmas while the rest of the team were still struggling, it's all about cutting down on the individual mistakes made by some of the players. Now that there are less mistakes, we can agree that the entire team is playing well.

Quote:
The results, we have outshoot the teams we have played again, 17 out of the last 19 games.

We have outshot the other team 89% of the time the last quater of the season. If anything, that can be pinned directly on the coach, how the team plays in the big picture, much more so then a decision taken by a single player on the PP ect.
The last game I posted this in the GDT:

Quote:
Rangers advantage in the third, Why?

Thibault is tired.
That I think is one of the advantages of shooting the puck as much as we do.

But we still aren't creating alot of scoring chances, and when we get them, we can't seem to shoot the puck high enough (maybe it has to do with the lack of experience and patience by some players, but our experienced players aren't doing well either), when was the last time we saw the Rangers force the opponent's goalie to move laterally in order to get him out of position.

Well I suspect that they're training on shooting right now.
Quote:
I love that we are more conservative. I mean, if the other team got the puck under controll, there is just too much to loose and too little to gain by forechecking.
We are conservative because that's the only way we can play the game right now, we have no creativity in the line-up, I'm not complaining as long as we win the games, but keep in mind that all it takes for us to lose is 2 or 3 individual mistakes that the other team capitalizes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
I've been a critic of Renney, but he deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team together when we were all but down and out.

That said, you have to wonder what would have happened had we not suffered all those injuries in the last few weeks. Renney was basically forced to infuse youth into the lineup, and the energy they've shown has proven to be contagious.
That's it, energy.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:34 PM
philbo

Quote:
I agree Renney has this team believing in what they are doing. A huge part of the credit for this upswing/turnaround goes directly to Henry. However Renney deserves alot of respect for his effort. I like alot of fans still question some of his moves or his stubborness, or descions during a game but he does have us on the verge of making the playoffs for the 2nd consc. year. While our kids are all starting to play a role on Broadway.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 01:25 PM
DutchShamrock

I'm not going to bash Renney right now but you have to admit that he is getting this team playing great defense NOW. He could be faulted for the system that was played in the first few months. But yes, right now he has them playing a great style and they are looking as good (at least defensively) as they have looked in a long time.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
But we still aren't creating alot of scoring chances, and when we get them, we can't seem to shoot the puck high enough (maybe it has to do with the lack of experience and patience by some players, but our experienced players aren't doing well either), when was the last time we saw the Rangers force the opponent's goalie to move laterally in order to get him out of position.
First of all, one reason why we aren't scoring is that we got really few shooters, and especially on the blueline. Its Jagr, Prucha and Cullen in that order. Now with Cally in the mix and Avery to some extent. On the blueline its Mara, and Pck also got a decent shot. Ros and Rach got heavy shots, but they only hit the net every bluemoon.

We are gooing hard to the net, and we are getting some shots from the outside on rebounds ect, but we haven't been able to score on them. If thoose ends up on Cullens stick, he puts it up stairs, if it ends up on Roszival or Nylander/Straka's stick they won't put it home.

With Shanahan, Rach, Hossa and Co. back we will score more, since they shoot better.

Though, you do have a point that we got some fundamentals wrong offensivly.

I saw Carolina slaugheter NJD a few days ago. Carolina plays a bit diffrent then we do, the conditions aren't exactly the same.

But Carolina got great width when they attack. They often come in situations where they got a center with the puck, and two wingers licking the boards slightly higher up ice. We often ends up with 2 guys breaking in, and one of our forwards are caught back a bit. We crash the net, but its often with only one player, one either in the goalies face or one at the far post. If we can get one player in the goalies face, and one on the far post we will score allot more.

There are also many teams in the west who plays great in that aspect.

I defenitly think we can add this aspect to our time, but we need to work on it, and Renney needs to recognize it and put focus on it. We can also get our D's involved more.

Though, I do think it will come with time. There have been so many other aspects of our game that we have need to work a ton on, that its understandble that some details aren't great yet.

Last edited by Ola: 03-20-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old
03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Madness

Quote:
I defenitly think we can add this aspect to our time, but we need to work on it, and Renney needs to recognize it and put focus on it. We can also get our D's involved more.
Good post Ola.

I would love to see our D's get involved, but I don't think they are capable of that, the more they get involved the more mistakes they make and we really can't afford that now. I also think that Renney has acknowleged this and is letting the Defense take care of their own zone first and foremost, I really hope this will be fixed next season, so we can have smart puck moving defense-men, that way we will have more options offensively.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:34 PM
shoothepuck

While Renney should get some credit, he was forced into this due to injuries. As Messier said last night, this team is in playoff mode, and has been for a few weeks. Lundqvist is playing great, the recent pick-ups, (Avery, Mara, ect.), and call-ups, (Dubinsky, Callahan, ect.) are doing what needs to be done. Others who are playing over their heads continue to do so, and if the team can keep it up when all the injured players are back, then we will know if this system is really working.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:43 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:

Touche! Does that mean that Renney may actually know what he is doing? He must be in constant contact with Scotty Bowman. yes that is it. He's too stupid to think of things on his own. It had to be Bowman who told him to use Betts, Orr & Hollweg against Cindy & the pens. Be physical with his line, bottle them up with a hard forecheck.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote