HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

cutting down stick???

Old
03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
marylands_finest

vCash: 500
cutting down stick???

hello everyone,

Well i recently picked up a set of composite sticks for the first time. An RBK 6k and an easton synergy. While on my skates it comes to the bridge of my nose. I think i want it to be a lil shorter like around my chin. My question is does anyone have a how-to on cutting the new composite sticks? do you have to plug the end of the stick? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys..

marylands_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylands_finest View Post
hello everyone,

Well i recently picked up a set of composite sticks for the first time. An RBK 6k and an easton synergy. While on my skates it comes to the bridge of my nose. I think i want it to be a lil shorter like around my chin. My question is does anyone have a how-to on cutting the new composite sticks? do you have to plug the end of the stick? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys..

A hacksaw will do fine in cutting the shaft down. Most sticks should come with a plug at the top of the shaft, so take that out and plug it in.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Crosby87.*

A hacksaw works, yea.

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:08 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Suggestion with the hacksaw, maybe make a line where you want to cut, and go around all sides with the saw before really getting into it...essentially make a groove around it. It'll help you cut it straighter.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Geogaddi

Judo chop.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:23 PM
frito

You don't have to replug it if you plan to tape it such as adding a nob etc. Make sure you file down the edges though so it isn't sharp.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:47 PM
lotus

On sticks I used to cut (I care more about flex than size now) I was always sure to sand it down even. Granted they were wood sticks but you'll still want to do this so that a plug fits even and so there is no sharp edges of course, incase you just tape it.

I agree with sc37 on marking it up and making sure you cut it even. You're going to be mad if its uneven . Especially if you're like me and those kinds of things bother you in just every situation haha.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Gino 14

I have a chop saw with a good mitre blade that I use to cut my sticks to length. I then take a wood rasp and round the edges slightly to take off the sharp edge and eliminate the possibility of the cut splintering. Plug and tape.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
I have a chop saw with a good mitre blade that I use to cut my sticks to length. I then take a wood rasp and round the edges slightly to take off the sharp edge and eliminate the possibility of the cut splintering. Plug and tape.
Exactly.

Either use a chop saw or a radial saw.

Once you cut the stick you can press it against the middle of the cutting blade as it is still spinning and it will knock off any burs.

Then hit it with a medium sized rasp.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote