HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Rangers 7:00 pm ET (Vs. TSN)

Old
03-20-2007, 01:04 AM
in the hall

vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/ES021086.HTM

Girardi played 19 minutes
Callahan played 15 (and had 5 shots btw)
Avery played 19

has Renney gone insane?!

Prucha did play just 7 minutes, this guy does not deserve this treatment. he should have an established role already

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
They are the best team in the NHL.

It's quite obvious.

So far better than anyone else.

They will win 16 straight games en route to the Stanley Cup.

Undefeated.

The whole team, who are all gods, will receive the Conn Smythe, rather than an individual.

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you the 2006/2007 Pittsburgh Penguins: The greatest hockey team ever assembled of all time.
I would have to agree with all of that.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:12 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
haha I guess they didn't watch the game. Were there no other games going on tonight?
They probably just wanted Jagr's face on the front page. There is a piece about Henke up as well.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:56 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Scary thing is if the Rangers paid this much to attention to defense earlier in the season when they had their scorers in the lineup, this team would be a heck of a lot higher in the standings right now.
Yeah, great point. I also think we have really developed as a team defensivly this season.

Look at how we are playing now, if the other team got the puck under controll, we start to trap right away. Even guys like Hollweg won't go after the puck, Holly lines up about 10 feets from the net and waits for the D do comeout.

Thats far from the ordinary trapping style, were teams almost always backs off, we only traps when the other team are set up and got the puck under controll.

Thats something we practically didn't do at all last season, and when we did it we got run over. Early this season we never backed off. Though I remember one game against Tampa where we really started to use it, and got great results. It were the Orr/Holly-goals game.

These are quotes from that game;
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLoMein View Post
Rangers playing the trap btw... dunno if anyone mentioned/noticed that yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I really like how collected our 1-2-2 have been tonight. Great defense all the way. Even saw Jagr set it up once, directing Hossa.
I gotta say that I am extremely impressed with how Renney got his team playing right now, and it can still get allot better. I am not talking about the results, but the general play. I am not saying that we will win the Cup or stuff like that, but how we are following a system, and how effective that is.

We are handling the puck. We got allot of safe set plays out of our own end. All lines are pretty succesful in the transition game. We loose really few pucks in our own end and in the neutral zone. We are forechecking really well, extremely effective at times. We are really smart there. The LW goes in first, forces a pass, then the C and the RW steps in as the LW are hustling back. With the LW back, there is a option for our D to step up if the C and RW wins the puck. If we don't got a option to forecheck, we back down and trapp. We are executing the trap and the forecheck systems really well.

Thats what I think we are dooing well. There is one thing we aren't dooing all that great, and thats coverge in our own end.

The results, we have outshoot the teams we have played again, 17 out of the last 19 games.

I've seen a ton of people dig out allot of stats of blown leads, reasons for why Renney should go ect.

Were are the Rodent with that stat? Were are the bloggers who want to axe Renney with that stat? Were are Brooks and Co. with that stat?

Rodent today got a pice that we are all Lundqvist, actually, since we always are outshooting the teams we are playing against, one could say that Henrik are only dooing his job, I won't say that but I could!

We have outshot the other team 89% of the time the last quater of the season. If anything, that can be pinned directly on the coach, how the team plays in the big picture, much more so then a decision taken by a single player on the PP ect.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 06:33 AM
gaglinefan

Renney's system

I agree with much of the above post . The really noticeable difference seems to me that our Defense is paying attention to the defensive slot and clearing, no cross ice passes, utilizing the boards, this has been going since mid year. Now we seem to get it. The forwards are pressuring into the offensive zone like last year when we wore teams out. Henrik has been superb, finally getting help. I think I went to all the bad games this year, Henrik did give up some softies but at the same time many were off of turnovers. He has been the best goalie in the league for awhile now, unbelievably good. Sixth place is in sight, Go Rangers!!!

Last edited by gaglinefan: 03-20-2007 at 06:34 AM. Reason: revise
gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:58 AM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
When healthy, yes.

But with a defense that currently features Malik, Pock, Strudwick, etc. and is lacking Tyutin, not so much.

Plus when all is said and done, Pitts. might not have the best defense but they're offense (and moreso their depth) make them a hard team to play against if their defense hangs them out to dry for 3 goals.

Now if the Rangers have Straka, Shanahan, Tyutin and gosh even Hossa (can't believe I just said that), than I think the gap is closed.

But I think you'd be hard pressed to find people willing to battle against Staal, Malkin, Crosby, Recchi, Roberts, Malone, Christiansen, even Gonchar and Whitney with a defense that has Malik, Strudwick, Pock and nice but not great prospect named Girardi at it's core. And that's without figuring out who on the Rangers can score.

Rangers deserved to win tonight, but I think Pitts wins far more than they lose if you throw tonight's lineups against each other 10 times.

You forgot the argueably the biggest factor in Hockey..... Goaltending, thats the wildcard.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
Prucha is no more of a defensive liability than jagr, nylander, or any of those top line guys.....
I agree just trying to figure out renney

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Prucha did play just 7 minutes, this guy does not deserve this treatment. he should have an established role already
Renney clearly didn't want to play Dubinsky all that much for some reason, and Prucha was also playing on his line. My theory is that he doesn't trust Prucha in the defensive zone, and is wary of playing Dubinsky too much in a similar situation.

Callahan got extra minutes to ride his "high", and because he was playing with some vets who are very responsible defensively.

At least, that's how I think of it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:08 AM
WheresBarnaby

Glad we didn't totally give that one away, like we have so often this season late in the game. Sucks we won the way we did, on such a cheesy goal, but like Sidney said...

"We got a bad bounce, no doubt," Penguins forward Sidney Crosby said. "We've had our breaks against them throughout the year. This one went against us."
http://msg.com/content_news.jsp?arti...ers&league=nhl

Heres's to looking foward. Like everyone else said good to see Nylander taking so many shots. He and Jagr seem taking the critcism to heart finally. My only complaint was Prucha's ice time.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:11 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Renney clearly didn't want to play Dubinsky all that much for some reason, and Prucha was also playing on his line. My theory is that he doesn't trust Prucha in the defensive zone, and is wary of playing Dubinsky too much in a similar situation.

Callahan got extra minutes to ride his "high", and because he was playing with some vets who are very responsible defensively.

Agree with why he played Callahan a lot, but I don't know how he can't trust Prucha in the defensive zone, when he is a very responsible foward. He plays great defensivly.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:16 AM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Agree for the most part. But I think Callahan has shown the coaching staff something besides his goal scoring. We've spoke about his moxie, physical play and attitude, and I think the staff is comfortable with him (and his line) seeing mroe time in big spots.

Dubi and Prucha together, late in the game, against arguably 2 of the best players in the league, and it makes sense to go with other guys...

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:18 AM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Agree with why he played Callahan a lot, but I don't know how he can't trust Prucha in the defensive zone, when he is a very responsible foward. He plays great defensivly.
Someone mentioned it earlier... Prucha does not cherry pick, works his butt off, and is always involved with the play in his own zone, but because of his size, several times we've seen him have his man in perfect position but get beat for a goal.

I love the kid more than most, but I have no problem with going with other forwards in that situation.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
He loses battles for the puck a lot though, and sometimes struggles to break it out

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:48 AM
ran1gers

Does anyone remember back in either 92-93 or 93-94 how the Rangers would seem to give up a last minute goal when they were leading for a good part of the season. As a fan you were always holding your breath for the last minute of play when teams would pull the goalie and press real hard. Then there was the turning point when; I think it was against the Devils, that they were able to hold on for a big win late in the season and it wasn't a concern the rest of the year. I felt like that last night when they gave up the lead, were able to get it back late and then hold off the press. Great win, I hope it is this teams turning point for leads.

ran1gers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:56 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/ES021086.HTM

Girardi played 19 minutes
Callahan played 15 (and had 5 shots btw)
Avery played 19

has Renney gone insane?!

Dubinsky played 6 mins. I thought Renney and Sather both said, if a young player is gonna play for the Rangers, they are gonna play. Someone tell me how does Orr get more minutes than Dubinsky and Prucha???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Dubinsky played 6 mins. I thought Renney and Sather both said, if a young player is gonna play for the Rangers, they are gonna play. Someone tell me how does Orr get more minutes than Dubinsky and Prucha???
I can't believe you are still complaining about this.

The team is younger and better than it was six weeks ago and you're still whining about kids not playing.

And if they send Dubinsky down with Straka and Shanny coming back, you'll complain about that too.

03-20-2007, 10:05 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

The team is younger and better than it was six weeks ago and you're still whining about kids not playing.

And if they send Dubinsky down with Straka and Shanny coming back, you'll complain about that too.
Totally agree. We got the win, that's what mattered last night. I've advocated the kids playing as much as anyone, but in March it's about the two points.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:09 AM
NYROrtsFan

With some people winning is taking a second seat to playing younger guys... And its not like Renney isnt playing some young guys either.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:20 AM
bathgate

Quote:

I grudgingly agree. As previously mentioned, the kids should have received the opportunity sooner rather than with the playoffs hanging in the balance. It's great to see the youthful enthusiasm which is usually never evident on the team . Sorry but management must still be criticized for not giving kids a chance earlier in the year. Any other dialogue by management is lip service. It appears the injuries may be a small blessing to give the kids a chance.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Totally agree. We got the win, that's what mattered last night. I've advocated the kids playing as much as anyone, but in March it's about the two points.
What's crazy is people will cite other team's and their youth. But then forget that when the games go down to the wire, the same youth on different teams are having the SAME exact scenario pan out. They sit to watch and to keep them from making a mistake, destroying their confidence for losing the game, etc. I have no problem with what Renney did last night.

Now if we lose, sitting Prucha becomes a problem.

Old
03-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
I grudgingly agree. As previously mentioned, the kids should have received the opportunity sooner rather than with the playoffs hanging in the balance. It's great to see the youthful enthusiasm which is usually never evident on the team . Sorry but management must still be criticized for not giving kids a chance earlier in the year. Any other dialogue by management is lip service. It appears the injuries may be a small blessing to give the kids a chance.
Who is Girardi? That kid was given a shot, and he's been remarkable. Why not praise the staff for allowing him to be a mainstay?

Dubinsky was FAR from ready earlier in the year.

Callahan was the only one producing down there, so if anything, he's the only one who should have been given a shot. But who else should have been given a shot?

Liffiton? He barely looks comfortable now, and I remember people saying he was no where near ready earlier in the year.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:28 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:

Dubinsky shown more to me than Isbister. And what has Prucha done to only get 7 mins last night??? Im glad Callahan played alot and on the PP but Prucha could have gotten some PP time as well, instead of Isbister.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Since when did Jagr become Hollweg lol. Good job versus
Yeah I caught that too, silly Emerick

Seriously, i turned the sound down and just listen to music.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Jagr's shots are so predictable now. No wonder he never scores
Jagr is not healthy. You can see his body looks like skinny nedved, not Jagr of last year. Plus after he scored the GWG he looked awful hanging his head on the bench, looked like he was in pain.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Why should management be criticized for developing the kids the best way possibile and preparing them to be contributors in NHL?..They should be praised for the way they have prepared Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky..None of whom were seen as NHLers at the start of the season....ANd I agree that these kids would probably not be getting the shot if everybody remained healthy, but that's when kids from the farm typically get shots..

Yes, Callahan easily could have been called up earlier and might have indeed helped us gain more points, but I also think he is a better player now then he was back then...experience, ice time and maturity do count for things..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote