HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan , a rising star on the broadway?

Old
03-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
The best aspect of Cally's game is what's inside his head. His overall game has a ways to go, but mentally he's already there. To me that's the key. If he evolves into a solid third liner that scores 20ish goals I'd be ecstatic.

The thing is, in years to come I get the feeling we will all be a little pressed to i.d. which are the Rangers 2nd, and 3rd lines. I think the future team will lean more toward balance and a system where guys can be plugged in seamlessly.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The thing is, in years to come I get the feeling we will all be a little pressed to i.d. which are the Rangers 2nd, and 3rd lines. I think the future team will lean more toward balance and a system where guys can be plugged in seamlessly.
Yeah, I think its so superior to have 4 lines that can contribute.

We will need go-to players, 2-3 guys like Jagr and Nylander.

But I am not worried at all about not having guys with 1st line potential in the org.

Take a player like Mueller or Vanek, these guys are so often flawed in other aspects, attitude and workethic for example.

You don't need 6 players with a ton of flair. 2-3 are enough, if the rest is good enough.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN View Post
Agreed, it's just plain ugly. As for his play i have been exremely impressed. His wheels and willingless to shoot are something that has been sorely needed. He has not looked out of place at all and is always noticeable. His hits on malkin were great and showed he has no fear, especially when it comes to other teams "stars".

The eam has some real grit at the moment wih Callahan, Ortemeyer, Hollweg, Avery banging and grinding. If we can get healthy we have a good shot at the PO's. With all the inuries we now have quite a few home grown players -

Pock
Giradi
Dubinsky
Ortemeyer
Callahan
Hollweg
Prucha
Lundquist

Nice to see players from rececnt drafts playing at the NHL level.
dont forget to count out Tyutin as well when he gets healthy and maybe Staal can come here if Rozsival or one of our dman needs a rest when we officially make the playoffs.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I think he wore 24 in Hartford, but that's not taken by anyone here so I don't understand why he doesn't have it.

I might be wrong.
As much as we'd all like to forget it, Ozolinsh is still technically on the Rangers roster...

And yes, Cally wore 24 in Hartford, and also when he played for Guelph. It should be available for him next season...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

But I am not worried at all about not having guys with 1st line potential in the org.

Take a player like Mueller or Vanek, these guys are so often flawed in other aspects, attitude and workethic for example.

You don't need 6 players with a ton of flair. 2-3 are enough, if the rest is good enough.
What's wrong with Mueller (I assume you're talking about Peter)? He's about as well-rounded as it gets and is an excellent leader.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

I can't speak to the games(or lack there of)that a Mueller or Vanek have, but yeah we agree on this. The Rangers imo, are much better served having a line up bursting with players that have a better all round game as opposed to a line up top heavy with super stars. Balance through out the line up will give us a better chance for long term cup contention. As others have stated, Cally would appear to be Jed w/hands, finishing skills and better skating ability. If that proves to be the case then we are headed in a very good direction. The mind set both bring to the game is very similar.... and we can NEVER have enough of that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
RedLightDistrict

Looks like Cally is one of three prospects that are listed by the Hockey News as the Dark Horse for next year:

Clicky

Quote:
Ryan Callahan, New York Rangers

My personal favorite of the three to emulate Stastny next year in terms of offensive production, Ryan Callahan would need a breakdown of epic proportions to not make the team in the fall. Judging by his career trajectory to date, this is unlikely to happen.

Drafted 127th overall in 2004 by the Rangers, Callahan improved dramatically in 2005-06 as an overage player for Guelph of the Ontario League.

His number skyrocketed when it mattered the most, though the playoffs putting up nearly two points per game. That sort of progression is expected of a 21-year-old in junior hockey, but Callahan really took a step forward this season in the AHL, compiling 55 points in 60 contests.

Steady improvement is the best measure of a fantasy hockey prospect when tracking him through the minor leagues. Callahan has shown it and should become a 65- or even 75-point right winger who will also give fantasy owners 100 PIMs a season at the NHL level.

Judging by his impressive, albeit brief, NHL stint he scored twice Saturday against the Bruins in his fourth NHL game this could happen next year.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
dank

hmmmmm....

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
alkurtz

All day long I've been playing with the image of Cally as a Devils type player: no one area is super outstanding but is talented, gritty and can play an all around game. The kind of player you can just slot in at the start of a year and forget about. You know you will get effort, accountability, and adherence to a system night in and night out. At the end of the year, he will give very good offensive numbers and have scored some big and timely goals. A guy you can count on in big games and spots. A player who slides under the radar until he comes along and kills you. We haven't had many players like that as the Rangers have always been a star driven team. Maybe I'm wrong, but its the image I have and its a positive one.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
All day long I've been playing with the image of Cally as a Devils type player: no one area is super outstanding but is talented, gritty and can play an all around game. The kind of player you can just slot in at the start of a year and forget about. You know you will get effort, accountability, and adherence to a system night in and night out. At the end of the year, he will give very good offensive numbers and have scored some big and timely goals. A guy you can count on in big games and spots. A player who slides under the radar until he comes along and kills you. We haven't had many players like that as the Rangers have always been a star driven team. Maybe I'm wrong, but its the image I have and its a positive one.
Kinda sounds like Prucha too in certain ways.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
What's wrong with Mueller (I assume you're talking about Peter)? He's about as well-rounded as it gets and is an excellent leader.
I don't like him!

Seriously, maybe he is a really bad example, but when I saw him in the WJC he didn't get my blood pumping.

He is really talented, but doesn't get his nose dirty, he score of his talent at that level, but I wonder how he will look in the NHL.

It just seems like he loves haning around on the perimeter, especially in the attacking zone, taking slappers with his stick in towards the ice. Like a star, but not really the talent level to back that up.

Though like I said, he could defenitly be a bad example, though thoose types can be dangerous. Attitude and workethic are abilitys like everything else, just as you can be a extremely good skater, you can have extremely good workethic. A player can be really talented, but if you aren't playing a team game, and if you don't have great attitude and workethic, maybe just "good", you need to score allot to be a factor. I think it can be dangerous to have allot of thoose types, even if they can score 70 pts, hockey is a battle and you can't loose a inch.

Its like they become "semi" stars, not really good at anything, and with Muellers style he won't be able to fill a specific role either, like if he for example were a playmaker, Mueller is a player type who capatilize on other peoples hard work to a certain extent.

Nah, this might sound nuts, and I could be wrong on Mueller, but I rather have a Tom Pyatt or Lauri Korpikoski. With them you know what you get, always extremely hard work, they will always show up, and they will battle untill they don't got a drop of blood left.

The players a team got with the abilitys and style Mueller got, should be extremely good.

Take Yashin for example. There is really nothing wrong with him. He actually got good attitude, he is a really good hockeyplayer. But I wouldn't want a player like him, he aren't good enough. He sulks when he aren't scoring. Scoring is also what he really focus on all the time, getting away from the team game. He also aren't great in any other area then the attacking zone, he aren't like Nylander in the sense that he always comes back to his own end and takes the puck up ice.

Old
03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Nich

i think you mean isn't as opposed to aren't

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i think you mean isn't as opposed to aren't
he, she& it right?

Old
03-21-2007, 10:12 PM
MrAlfie

this kid seems to be for real, another great game by him. hes so strong on his skates, never gives up, fights for every puck, how can you not love this kid?

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:21 PM
The Thomas J.*

The moblity of a box car and goes to the net like a freaking Freight train.
O Baaaaaaaaaby!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Edge

Ideally I see Callahan as a pesky third liner who can score, potentially a VERY nice third line with Avery.

I get a little nervous projecting him into the 65-75 point range but I don't think 20+ goals and 50 points is a stretch. Obviously if he becomes a 70 point player ever better, but for now I'm not quite ready to raise the bar on him that high.

If you can make players out of other guys like Pyatt, Dupont, Korpikoski you're going to have a balanced team with a ton of depth.

I still think they're going to need some younger high end talent, ideally one cornerstone player at forward. But they should have a nice mix after him.

Right now the Rangers two biggest questions marks are defense and scoring from the bottom lines. Ironically it'll probably be their strength in a few years.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:48 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Ideally I see Callahan as a pesky third liner who can score, potentially a VERY nice third line with Avery.

I get a little nervous projecting him into the 65-75 point range but I don't think 20+ goals and 50 points is a stretch. Obviously if he becomes a 70 point player ever better, but for now I'm not quite ready to raise the bar on him that high.

If you can make players out of other guys like Pyatt, Dupont, Korpikoski you're going to have a balanced team with a ton of depth.

I still think they're going to need some younger high end talent, ideally one cornerstone player at forward. But they should have a nice mix after him.

Right now the Rangers two biggest questions marks are defense and scoring from the bottom lines. Ironically it'll probably be their strength in a few years.

Isn't that 2nd liner in these days? If a player is scoring 50 points on the 3rd line he should be playing on the 2nd line.

Cally looked like a good future 3rd liner in juniors..but once he hit the pro's he is played extremely well, even at the NHL level. IMO he's got EASILY the 2nd line potential in him. The kid has great offensive skill to be considered a 2nd liner...yes he also has the 3rd line attributes (defensive awareness and great hockey smarts), but his offensive skill would go to waste IMO if he stayed on a 3rd line.

I know your a pessimistic when it comes to rating prospects, but c'on, Callahan has be a beast over the last 2 years, at the OHL (even as an overage player) at both AHL and NHL (even in a short stint). He plays hard, dedicated/ton of heart, plays a very good defensive game, and has offensive skills to back that up.

I've said all along, he's a Jed with more offensive skill, and he's proving that. He plays with heart, he hits everything, defensive skill, and he's obviously got a huge amount of offensive talent.

Cally is a future 2nd liner IMO. He is showing his skills everytime he is on the ice. Hell IMO he is better then Prucha in his overall game and i'm confident he will find a permanent 2nd line spot before Renney trusts Prucha..i'm curious though what you're seeing in Callahan that convinces you that he's just a 3rd line player?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Edge

Quote:
Isn't that 2nd liner in these days? If a player is scoring 50 points on the 3rd line he should be playing on the 2nd line.
Depends on the team, with scoring up second liners are usually a little more.

Quote:
Cally looked like a good future 3rd liner in juniors..but once he hit the pro's he is played extremely well, even at the NHL level. IMO he's got EASILY the 2nd line potential in him. The kid has great offensive skill to be considered a 2nd liner...yes he also has the 3rd line attributes (defensive awareness and great hockey smarts), but his offensive skill would go to waste IMO if he stayed on a 3rd line.
Most third liners are scorers at the lower level. But considering that the Rangers haven't been able to produce even that till recently I think we've forgotten that. Now whenever a kid does anything at the minor league level, even if it's progressing on his natural path we project them as top 6 forwards with "GREAT" skills and the bar goes up and up.
Quote:
I know your a pessimistic when it comes to rating prospects, but c'on, Callahan has be a beast over the last 2 years, at the OHL (even as an overage player) at both AHL and NHL (even in a short stint). He plays hard, dedicated/ton of heart, plays a very good defensive game, and has offensive skills to back that up.
Pessimistic, not I wouldn't say that. I consider myself a realist and 90% of the time I'm right. I fall into neither the pessimist or optimist crowd.

The problem is when you project a prospect as anything less than a second line player it's seen as a slight. Callahan may very well be a second line player, ideally I think he probably rounds out as a very good third line player. Now a Ranger frame of reference for that until includes names like Moore, Hall and Ward but I'm talking about legit, very good third line players not the rehab projects this team has been trying to pass off.

I like what I see from Callahan but a beast in my opinion is an overstatement. Callahan has been very good and I think he'll be a very good NHL player.

Quote:
I've said all along, he's a Jed with more offensive skill, and he's proving that. He plays with heart, he hits everything, defensive skill, and he's obviously got a huge amount of offensive talent.

Cally is a future 2nd liner IMO. He is showing his skills everytime he is on the ice. Hell IMO he is better then Prucha in his overall game and i'm confident he will find a permanent 2nd line spot before Renney trust Prucha..i'm curious though what you're seeing in Callahan that convinces you that he's just a 3rd line player?
I see the same things you do. I'm also comparing it to seeing what most second line aHL players do as well. I see the same things I saw 3 years ago and commented on, I see this as the natural progression of that. Unfortunatly we haven't seen much of that in the last 10 years so when a kid actually progresses as he should I notice some people tend to shoot for the stars and year after year {be it Tyutin or Prucha, etc.) I try to keep those expectations from getting out of hand. That doesn't mean they are impossible, it just means that we can't go crazy projecting players either.

It's not really a matter of Callahan "not" doing anything, I think we have to appreciate how valuable a top third line player can be as oppossed to what we've come to have offered from this team.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 04:08 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Absolutley phenomenal what he has been able to do. Heck I think he has just become part of one of our best lines in a while. the -AHAN line

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:24 PM
MrAlfie

Its Cally Time!!

my god.. hes a keeper!!

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I thought this thread might be dug up. Fantastic performance by him tonight. It's great seeing him adored by the fans just like he was in Guelph.

Anybody catch his dad on tv saying to everyone in the crowd "that's my son!"?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:58 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I thought this thread might be dug up. Fantastic performance by him tonight. It's great seeing him adored by the fans just like he was in Guelph.

Anybody catch his dad on tv saying to everyone in the crowd "that's my son!"?
That's amazing. It's always a boys dream to make his father proud of him. Callahan is certainly doing that.

True Blue Ranger, you can just tell!

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
What a straight up superstar he played like tonight!

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
n_a_c

Question: Do playoff games count towards him not being eligible for rookie of the year? I assume so. He played 14 regular season games this year, and the cutoff for being eligible as a rookie is 25.

I for one hope he becomes NOT eligible for rookie of the year next year

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
What a straight up superstar he played like tonight!
Agreed. Helluva effort.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote