HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Modano discusses milestone, Tootoo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
  #1
predperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Modano discusses milestone, Tootoo

Thought this deserved it's own thread:
Modano discusses milestone, Tootoo

I must admit, this impresses me.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
  #2
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
What's the world come to when Modano is the only classy thing coming from your organization in the wake of a major incident?

As an aside, got a phone call from a good friend of mine who works in Toronto. He said you can really tell the class of the organizations after the fact. I thought for sure he was going to bash the Preds seeing as he's not a fan and he likes ribbing me. But he said that Dallas really appears like the classless group once it has all settled down, what with the apparent lying, etc.

Of course, he's basing his assumptions on Poile being correct in the Poile v. Lites battle, so that should be noted.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
  #3
Olaf
Registered User
 
Olaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Norway
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
good for Modano..

Here is what I hope the Preds offer do on March 31.

First, invite Jim Lites to come sit with Leipold....heck if he wants let him sit in the Windex seat on the glass.

Then have a nice pregame montage of Modano's followed by him coming out to drop a ceremonial faceoff between the two captains...Timonen and Morrow.

Bill it as "the reason we have the NHL in Nashville" night.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:38 PM
  #4
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,918
vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
What's the world come to when Modano is the only classy thing coming from your organization in the wake of a major incident?

As an aside, got a phone call from a good friend of mine who works in Toronto. He said you can really tell the class of the organizations after the fact. I thought for sure he was going to bash the Preds seeing as he's not a fan and he likes ribbing me. But he said that Dallas really appears like the classless group once it has all settled down, what with the apparent lying, etc.

Of course, he's basing his assumptions on Poile being correct in the Poile v. Lites battle, so that should be noted.
I would like to say that Lites coments were distasteful. They were a classless move by him. I just don't like the fact that people label an entire team, including fans and upper management, classless. There have been classless quotes on both sides, preds & stars, but overall I respect what your team is doing and I can't wait to see the next stars v. preds game. I hope there aren't any classless things done/said after that game

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:44 PM
  #5
Hazeltherabbit
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
I would like to say that Lites coments were distasteful. They were a classless move by him. I just don't like the fact that people label an entire team, including fans and upper management, classless. There have been classless quotes on both sides, preds & stars, but overall I respect what your team is doing and I can't wait to see the next stars v. preds game. I hope there aren't any classless things done/said after that game
The fans are jacked up for this one. Even if it is all settled down by game day, there will be whistles, boos and taunts. Call it classless or loyal, I don't think the fans are going to let this just fade away. I think we as fans, take this stuff more seriously than the players sometimes.

Hazeltherabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
  #6
predperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
I would like to say that Lites coments were distasteful. They were a classless move by him. I just don't like the fact that people label an entire team, including fans and upper management, classless. There have been classless quotes on both sides, preds & stars, but overall I respect what your team is doing and I can't wait to see the next stars v. preds game. I hope there aren't any classless things done/said after that game
That's nice and I agree with you but I have been shocked at some of the press (especially the ESPN radio feed out of Dallas....103.3, I believe). Yesterday and today, they called Nashville fans "stupid" and "honkies", among other things. They talked really bad about the city of Nashville. I have never heard any of Nashville press talk about other fans and other cities the way these guys did (don't get me wrong, I don't think our press is perfect).

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:51 PM
  #7
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,918
vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
That's nice and I agree with you but I have been shocked at some of the press (especially the ESPN radio feed out of Dallas....103.3, I believe). Yesterday and today, they called Nashville fans "stupid" and "honkies", among other things. They talked really bad about the city of Nashville. I have never heard any of Nashville press talk about other fans and other cities the way these guys did (don't get me wrong, I don't think our press is perfect).
Not trying to make any excuse for it but the guy with the radio show is very outspoken about everything. I like the guy, he is somewhat crazy. but he calls lots of peoples names. He calls any white guy with tats a honky with bad tattoos

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:10 PM
  #8
predperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
Not trying to make any excuse for it but the guy with the radio show is very outspoken about everything. I like the guy, he is somewhat crazy. but he calls lots of peoples names. He calls any white guy with tats a honky with bad tattoos
I'm sure he's just looking for ratings and that he absolutely loved the Nashville fans tuning in and then emailing him. We probably caused a ratings boost

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:31 PM
  #9
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,466
vCash: 500
I don't know if anyone got to hear Leiopold's interview on 1045 the zone about 45 minutes ago, but wow..........talk about setting the record straight.

Pretty good article by Mike. One quote I particularly enjoyed:

“I think Jimmy was a little bit more worked up than I was on that thing,” Modano said. “We’ve had a lot of guys come in to Dallas and Minnesota who’ve scored a lot of goals and hit milestones that we didn’t recognize.”

I will say that his comments about his stick work should put to rest the absolutely ridiculous comments by the Stars radio guy on the Zone who said that Modano "Fell over Robidas"......

__________________
- Enoch -

Last edited by Enoch: 03-20-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
  #10
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
give credit to modano for being classy in this statement...

but never forget, him and chelios are the two primary players that suggested the predators needed to be 'contracted' in order for themselves to not have to have a salary cap on their individual salaries, so he could make more than 7.2 million... also never forget the entire "i couldn't feed my dogs on 7 million" statement as well..

he's still on my list, and i suspect he always will be

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
  #11
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
give credit to modano for being classy in this statement...

but never forget, him and chelios are the two primary players that suggested the predators needed to be 'contracted' in order for themselves to not have to have a salary cap on their individual salaries, so he could make more than 7.2 million... also never forget the entire "i couldn't feed my dogs on 7 million" statement as well..

he's still on my list, and i suspect he always will be
I'm in the same boat.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
  #12
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
I would like to say that Lites coments were distasteful. They were a classless move by him. I just don't like the fact that people label an entire team, including fans and upper management, classless. There have been classless quotes on both sides, preds & stars, but overall I respect what your team is doing and I can't wait to see the next stars v. preds game. I hope there aren't any classless things done/said after that game
I understand where you are coming from, and it is unfair to paint the entire organization a certain shade of yellow based on the remarks of a man with more heart than common sense. But it's frustrating as a Predators fan though because his comments get eaten up by simple-minded fans everywhere, and now we have an organization labeled as classless when, in fact, the only publicly classless person in a powerful position within either organization appears to be Lites.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
  #13
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I don't know if anyone got to hear Leiopold's interview on 1045 the zone about 45 minutes ago, but wow..........talk about setting the record straight.
I didn't get to hear this as I just missed it when I got into my car (only to hear Craig Ludwig..)

What was said by Leipold?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:29 PM
  #14
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I didn't get to hear this as I just missed it when I got into my car (only to hear Craig Ludwig..)

What was said by Leipold?
Some of the things I can remember:

1) Lites claimed Waddel (Atlanta's GM) called him and apologized on behalf of American hockey. Leipold said they contacted Waddel, and he was mystified why Lites even mentioned him, saying that he never contacted Lites and certainly did not apologize on American hockey's behalf.

2) Lites claimed Tootoo's glove had kevlar in it. Leipold said they specifically asked the Predator's equipment manager whether or not there was kevlar in Totoo's glove - there isn't any, hasn't been any, and no one on the Predators has any.

3) Lites claimed that he sent his forward people (something like that) to the Predators to work things out. Leipold said the only people they talked to were those that wanted the net should Modano score two goals, which they agreed upon.

Those are three things I remember being said, I wish I could remember the rest. He was not happy with Lites and the "untruths" he was spreading, and he was really upset that Lites supposedly mentioned how he would vote (or did vote??) on a Board of Governor's meeting (and this is not related to the voting on the schedule thing).

Leipold also explained his reasons for the schedule vote and the need for revenue sharing, saying he would most likely vote for a schedule change when the current plan ended AND a well thought out schedule was come up with (which supposedly wasn't the case at the last meetings) and that revenue sharing was something they have targeted since well before the lockout as it would make the league healthy.

He also said that Lites has no idea what the Predators finances are and should not claim certain figures.

There was more - it was juicy......I wish I had a clip for it.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:33 PM
  #15
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,619
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
That's nice and I agree with you but I have been shocked at some of the press (especially the ESPN radio feed out of Dallas....103.3, I believe). Yesterday and today, they called Nashville fans "stupid" and "honkies", among other things. They talked really bad about the city of Nashville. I have never heard any of Nashville press talk about other fans and other cities the way these guys did (don't get me wrong, I don't think our press is perfect).
Man...I'm pretty sure that "honky" and/or "honkies" is a racial epitaph against white people...

__________________


Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:52 PM
  #16
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Man...I'm pretty sure that "honky" and/or "honkies" is a racial epitaph against white people...
It is, but it's more closely aligned with redneck white people.

A little off the trail here, but I am so impressed with how Preds upper management has handled this whole situation. I'm beaming with pride to be a Predators fan. Between Leipold and Poile, it's hard to imagine a classier duo to front an organization. In the wake of this controversy, they've not only managed to save face, they've each come out the 'better man' in comparison to their outspoken counterpart from Texas.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
  #17
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I didn't get to hear this as I just missed it when I got into my car (only to hear Craig Ludwig..)

What was said by Leipold?
heard the leipold interview and just listened to the Lies interview, here is a point by point paraphrase...

Lites: "It's what he had in the glove. Those gloves now have kevlar in them." (inferring that it's even worse that he was gloved)
Leipold: He asked the Predator equipment manager about this and Pete Rogers said no Nashville player has kevlar in their gloves. He asked Jim McKenzie whether he'd rather be hit with a glove or a bare fist and McKenzie said glove.
Me: semantics, either way, he deserves a suspension.

Lites: "That kid (Tootoo) spent more time this season in the minors than he spent up"
Leipold (...and anyone with eyesight and espn.com): I don't think Tootoo has played one game in the minors this season. (61 GP for Preds, ? GP for the Ads?, either way, FAR more games in the NHL.)

Lites: "They're the lowest revenue team in all of hockey, the largest receiver of revenue sharing."
Leipold: Lites has no idea whatsoever about our financials or how much revenue sharing we received and can't possibly comment with any knowledge since he hasn't seen our numbers, nor is it appropriate to publicly comment on another team's financials, anyway.

Lites: Dallas advanced the Modano story to every team they will play over the next month.
Poile: They were told of the record by Dallas when Dallas requested the nets off the goal. The Predators presented Modano with the nets off the goal, per their request. Dallas could have requested to the NHL that the game be stopped and the Dallas players could have come off the bench as a team to celebrate, but Dallas made no such arrangement.
Leipold: said he didn't know what was specifically planned because he had been on vacation and got into town right before the game, but they canceled the immediate acknowledgment of the goal after Modano's stick swing, the ref's no call and the goal scored on the power play that shouldn't have been because it would have been an awkward situation to announce it and have him get booed.

Lites: I got some emails from people in Nashville that said 'big deal,' but if you read the canadian press like Al Strachan.....
Me: Al Strachan???? does it really matter what he said next? Al Strachan...

Lites: I don't expect them to give them gifts, but to mention that it occurred.
Various eyewitness accounts from people actually at the game: The record was mentioned on the PA preceding Modano's 3rd star announcement.

Lites: After all the ruckus occurred, the stupid fans were booing Modano.
Leipold: You just cannot make blanket statements about another team's fans as an NHL executive.

Lites: Friends of mine like Donny Waddell in Atlanta called me and it was pretty well put and said 'what can I say, we're sorry on behalf of US hockey about Mike's snub.'
Leipold: He called Don Waddell and Waddell said he did not call Lites or apologize on behalf of US hockey.

Lites: I haven't heard from the Nashville organization, they must be asleep at the wheel.
Leipold: I'm not calling him, I'm waiting for him to apologize to me.

Leipold: Disappointed that the NHL hasn't taken a stronger public stance on Lites.

Leipold's Previous Relationship with Lites
-he and Lites had a good relationship before this week.
-Leipold has family in Dallas and attends most Preds games in Dallas and Dallas provides a box for him and it's right next to Jim Lies's box and they always have good talks at the games.

Leipold on the comments on the schedule vote: Publicly discussing a board of governers vote of another team is inappropriate. Leipold said that there were a ton of schedule ideas floating around and that he voted against the new schedule because he wanted the 3 year cycle to finish, but that he is in support of a few of the new schedule proposals once the 3 year cycle is done.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:06 PM
  #18
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
It is, but it's more closely aligned with redneck white people.
The radio host on 103.3 in Dallas makes Greg Pogue sound like James Bond.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:27 PM
  #19
FarPastGone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
I'm sure he's just looking for ratings and that he absolutely loved the Nashville fans tuning in and then emailing him. We probably caused a ratings boost
Maybe, the real radio hike comes when he gets on San Antonio. They love him way more then ya'll do down there.

FarPastGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
  #20
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,655
vCash: 50
I dont know if I fully believe Modano, it feels like public relations work to me.

I commend him anyway, time to move on.


..until the next meeting anyway.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:57 AM
  #21
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
I got to hear a replay of the Leipold interview this morning. Thanks for the good recaps though

I really liked hearing Leipold come on and clarify things a bit.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:28 AM
  #22
pred33fan
Registered User
 
pred33fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
I'm sure he's just looking for ratings and that he absolutely loved the Nashville fans tuning in and then emailing him. We probably caused a ratings boost
After looking at that stations ratings, they NEED a ratings boost....

pred33fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
  #23
predperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred33fan View Post
After looking at that stations ratings, they NEED a ratings boost....
good....I hope he's soon unemployed. Some of the people over on the Stars HF said he's usually drunk by 10:00am

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:55 AM
  #24
streakie
Registered User
 
streakie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to streakie
Hi just wanted to chime in, there are very few radio people in Dallas that actually even know anything about hockey. They are like any media and only focus on the Stars when it is a story they deem worthy. Most of the time they come off sounding like idiots, and it is embarrassing, but what do you do?

Anyways I have read a few comments on the different Preds boards that Modano's comments were staged by his PR peeps

and some even said that it might have not even been him saying what he did...so to put those matters to rest here is a link to the Conference call with the National media where his comments came up. It was a call about him setting the record not the incident that happened in Nashville.
http://www.dallasstars.com/ scroll down to the Bottom it is the 2nd one under multimedia.

streakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 06:40 AM
  #25
pred33fan
Registered User
 
pred33fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by streakie View Post
Hi just wanted to chime in, there are very few radio people in Dallas that actually even know anything about hockey. They are like any media and only focus on the Stars when it is a story they deem worthy. Most of the time they come off sounding like idiots, and it is embarrassing, but what do you do?

Anyways I have read a few comments on the different Preds boards that Modano's comments were staged by his PR peeps

and some even said that it might have not even been him saying what he did...so to put those matters to rest here is a link to the Conference call with the National media where his comments came up. It was a call about him setting the record not the incident that happened in Nashville.
http://www.dallasstars.com/ scroll down to the Bottom it is the 2nd one under multimedia.
Thanks for the link, but just because he actually spoke the words doesn't prove that he came up with them. His PR person could have told him exactly what to say. Even Todd Bertuzzi sounded good when he shed a few tears after the Moore incident....I still don't like or trust him either.

pred33fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.