HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers Place Construction Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-27-2014, 03:26 PM
  #501
Smart Dunsparce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 830
vCash: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
I don't support physical contact of any kind, but when you're paying $300 a pop for those tickets, you have every right to voice your opinion (WITHIN REASON, any further than "wow, that was garbage" or other game related things is too far).

Sadly, gotta keep the unwashed masses away from the rich and famous.
Because you choose to pay $300 a ticket doesn't mean you can spit on players or call them names because of poor play. At the end of the day Hockey is entertainment and they are human beings just as much as we are. It's not mine or your problem that those fans are stupid enough to slit themselves in the wrist, most likely knowing the result of the game and paying $300 a ticket then proceed to spit on the players because they were expecting a different result. Almost all of your posts I have read even in the Memorial Cup thread there seems to have a sour grapes attitude or undertone... like an inferiority complex against the rich which imo is kind of sad. Don't hate, appreciate. Like Damn these kids play in a hockey mad city for the best fans in the world, -40 weather including windchill in the winter, gets booed off the ice for their **** games, and is already a place where it's hard to get good free agents... last thing we need are a bunch of hicks paying $300+ knowing they're going to lose and scaring whatever great young talent we have left out of here. As Moulson Muscle said I sure as hell wouldn't want to go through that ******** after every home game. I say good decision.


Last edited by Smart Dunsparce: 05-27-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Smart Dunsparce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 03:39 PM
  #502
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Dunsparce View Post
Because you choose to pay $300 a ticket doesn't mean you can spit on players or call them names because of poor play. At the end of the day Hockey is entertainment and they are human beings just as much as we are. It's not mine or your problem that those fans are stupid enough to slit themselves in the wrist, most likely knowing the result of the game and paying $300 a ticket then proceed to spit on the players because they were expecting a different result. Almost all of your posts I have read even in the Memorial Cup thread there seems to have a sour grapes attitude or undertone... like an inferiority complex against the rich which imo is kind of sad. Don't hate, appreciate. Like Damn these kids play in a hockey mad city for the best fans in the world, -40 weather including windchill in the winter, gets booed off the ice for their **** games, and is already a place where it's hard to get good free agents... last thing we need are a bunch of hicks paying $300+ knowing they're going to lose and scaring whatever great young talent we have left out of here. As Moulson Muscle said I sure as hell wouldn't want to go through that ******** after every home game. I say good decision.
Here here!


Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 04:51 PM
  #503
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 50
I too, think it's disappointing that walkway won't be in the new arena. I think it's great for young kids to get an up close look at their hockey heroes. A few negative incidents shouldn't deter them. The area is roped off. They have plenty of security down there for the players safety as well as access to several police officers who are in the building for every game. If there is an incident these people can be dealt with severely by the law. Charge them, ban them from the building. 99% of the people down there aren't remotely interested in causing problems. They could easily crack down on the few that are. I think it's a poor and short sighted decision by the Oilers.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 04:59 PM
  #504
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,672
vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I too, think it's disappointing that walkway won't be in the new arena. I think it's great for young kids to get an up close look at their hockey heroes. A few negative incidents shouldn't deter them. The area is roped off. They have plenty of security down there for the players safety as well as access to several police officers who are in the building for every game. If there is an incident these people can be dealt with severely by the law. Charge them, ban them from the building. 99% of the people down there aren't remotely interested in causing problems. They could easily crack down on the few that are. I think it's a poor and short sighted decision by the Oilers.
Not really how it works. A guy spits today and you throw him in jail, doesn't stop another idiot from doing it again the next day. A few negative incidents deter in a lot of day to day activities. Just look at the safety trades or construction guys have now. Couple guys became had their vision impaired so now safety glasses are mandatory. You don't just say "it's only a couple incidents, so let's just move on" you react.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:12 PM
  #505
Playa Hejda
Registered User
 
Playa Hejda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: #yeg
Posts: 455
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not really how it works. A guy spits today and you throw him in jail, doesn't stop another idiot from doing it again the next day. A few negative incidents deter in a lot of day to day activities. Just look at the safety trades or construction guys have now. Couple guys became had their vision impaired so now safety glasses are mandatory. You don't just say "it's only a couple incidents, so let's just move on" you react.
I'd argue we can scale the response to the problem. Workers being killed or maimed on the job doesn't really equate to workers being insulted (or spat upon - which I sort of doubt) by drunks. There's also the issue where the Oilers are in the entertainment business and rely on public consumption and interest. Shielding an iron worker's eye from a rogue piece of rebar is very different than shielding a celebrity from an extra little bit of attention while they are on duty.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:13 PM
  #506
surshot*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: OILCOUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,501
vCash: 500
I would think the oilers would still keep having kids as part of all game day festivities including being part of the walk out. So now that is settled, The idiot that thought of putting a open bar right beside the walk out needs to be fired and how anybody would miss it in the new arena is beyond me. No one should have to deal with some of the things that were said to the team on multiple occasions i dont care how much you suck. It crossed the line big time. Some people just don't know how to act sadly, and those people are to blame. It is also no place for a child.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:29 PM
  #507
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,672
vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post
I'd argue we can scale the response to the problem. Workers being killed or maimed on the job doesn't really equate to workers being insulted (or spat upon - which I sort of doubt) by drunks. There's also the issue where the Oilers are in the entertainment business and rely on public consumption and interest. Shielding an iron worker's eye from a rogue piece of rebar is very different than shielding a celebrity from an extra little bit of attention while they are on duty.
And if said person has Aids. Would you really want to deal with that?

My question is how many other teams actually have this?

Players haven't wanted to be here for a reason, if spitting on one of them is one of them then get rid of the easy access.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:36 PM
  #508
Slicknitty
The Crappening
 
Slicknitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 0
Tuesday May 27, 2014



Full size (12.8 mb): http://eyesy.com/arena/2014/may/05-27-2014-GR.jpg

Slicknitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:39 PM
  #509
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...
 
April Ethereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
I don't support physical contact of any kind, but when you're paying $300 a pop for those tickets, you have every right to voice your opinion (WITHIN REASON, any further than "wow, that was garbage" or other game related things is too far).

Sadly, gotta keep the unwashed masses away from the rich and famous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Dunsparce View Post
Because you choose to pay $300 a ticket doesn't mean you can spit on players or call them names because of poor play. At the end of the day Hockey is entertainment and they are human beings just as much as we are. It's not mine or your problem that those fans are stupid enough to slit themselves in the wrist, most likely knowing the result of the game and paying $300 a ticket then proceed to spit on the players because they were expecting a different result. Almost all of your posts I have read even in the Memorial Cup thread there seems to have a sour grapes attitude or undertone... like an inferiority complex against the rich which imo is kind of sad. Don't hate, appreciate. Like Damn these kids play in a hockey mad city for the best fans in the world, -40 weather including windchill in the winter, gets booed off the ice for their **** games, and is already a place where it's hard to get good free agents... last thing we need are a bunch of hicks paying $300+ knowing they're going to lose and scaring whatever great young talent we have left out of here. As Moulson Muscle said I sure as hell wouldn't want to go through that ******** after every home game. I say good decision.
Learn to read. I never excused and actually condemned anything further than game related comments.

Nice try though. Swing and a miss.


Last edited by April Ethereal: 05-27-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Make things as easy as possible
April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:58 PM
  #510
Playa Hejda
Registered User
 
Playa Hejda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: #yeg
Posts: 455
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
And if said person has Aids. Would you really want to deal with that?

My question is how many other teams actually have this?

Players haven't wanted to be here for a reason, if spitting on one of them is one of them then get rid of the easy access.
You can't catch AIDS (or HIV - whatever) from saliva. So no, I wouldn't worry about that in way, but only because my mind doesn't immediately flash to the worst case scenario when everything at the hockey rink isn't controlled strictly enough. I suppose I'd worry a little about mono, but a drunk spitting seems like the second most likely way a hockey player would catch that particular disease.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:59 PM
  #511
schutney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
No one else in the NHL has this, much less professional sports. Time the Oilers got with the times. Yes its been some tough seasons, but there are tons of inappropriate things said on a Saturday night that kids don't need to hear.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:05 PM
  #512
Playa Hejda
Registered User
 
Playa Hejda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: #yeg
Posts: 455
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
No one else in the NHL has this, much less professional sports. Time the Oilers got with the times. Yes its been some tough seasons, but there are tons of inappropriate things said on a Saturday night that kids don't need to hear.
I agree. We shouldn't allow kids to come to Saturday night games unless the Oil Kings are in town. Let's make Rexall an 18+ only arena! (14+ if you're a parent that doesn't really care).

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:26 PM
  #513
schutney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post
I agree. We shouldn't allow kids to come to Saturday night games unless the Oil Kings are in town. Let's make Rexall an 18+ only arena! (14+ if you're a parent that doesn't really care).
I think you misunderstood what I said. I said down in the club there are always idiots shouting obscenities at the players when walking into the room. No other arena has it so it's not a huge deal if it's not present in the new arena and as an added bonus you don't have said individuals acting like idiots down there.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:48 PM
  #514
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
Learn to read. I never excused and actually condemned anything further than game related comments.

Nice try though. Swing and a miss.
Just wanted to say that theres nothing I'd seen in your statements that should have elicited that self righteous vitriolic response. Frankly I find the rebuttal to what you stated from "smart dunsparse" highly offensive.

Nobody in any way in this or any other thread was stating its acceptable for people to be spit at or anything like that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
  #515
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...
 
April Ethereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Just wanted to say that theres nothing I'd seen in your statements that should have elicited that self righteous vitriolic response. Frankly I find the rebuttal to what you stated from "smart dunsparse" highly offensive.

Nobody in any way in this or any other thread was stating its acceptable for people to be spit at or anything like that.
It's a charged topic, so I can understand.

To be clear: I agree. Spitting, harassing or swearing at players is wrong. Personal/family attacks are wrong.

But I support the paying customers right to an opinion, and if it's kept to booing or game related "that period sucked" kind of comments, I don't see an issue.

That being said, Oilers fans have shown they can't handle the privilege of being that close to the players, so now it's being taken away. The ****** few have ruined a cool idea for the rest of the fans.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:21 AM
  #516
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,672
vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
It's a charged topic, so I can understand.

To be clear: I agree. Spitting, harassing or swearing at players is wrong. Personal/family attacks are wrong.

But I support the paying customers right to an opinion, and if it's kept to booing or game related "that period sucked" kind of comments, I don't see an issue.

That being said, Oilers fans have shown they can't handle the privilege of being that close to the players, so now it's being taken away. The ****** few have ruined a cool idea for the rest of the fans.
This is exactly it.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 10:48 PM
  #517
Slicknitty
The Crappening
 
Slicknitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 0
Sorry, friends, long story short I am done taking shots from that place.

Slicknitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 11:01 PM
  #518
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty
 
RipsADrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
Sorry, friends, long story short I am done taking shots from that place.
Does that imply that you'll be taking them from a different spot or that you won't be able to submit any more pictures?

Either way, thanks for all the work you've done up until now.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 01:18 AM
  #519
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 500
We can't behave and just admire the shots of the new arena going up day by day without getting into arguments on all sorts of tangential topics... now the picture taker has taken his ball and gone home.

This is why we can't have nice things.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 01:44 AM
  #520
s7ark
Moderator
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
Sorry, friends, long story short I am done taking shots from that place.
Damn that sucks. Well, thanks for all the pics you did post.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 02:08 AM
  #521
Slicknitty
The Crappening
 
Slicknitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
We can't behave and just admire the shots of the new arena going up day by day without getting into arguments on all sorts of tangential topics... now the picture taker has taken his ball and gone home.

This is why we can't have nice things.
The tangential conversations are the best part of the forums. It's nothing to do with here. I can't talk about it due to confidentiality. I love this place. Sorry guys. I hope the thread stays alive with other people contributing their shots.

Slicknitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 03:24 AM
  #522
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,674
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
The tangential conversations are the best part of the forums. It's nothing to do with here. I can't talk about it due to confidentiality. I love this place. Sorry guys. I hope the thread stays alive with other people contributing their shots.
Well, it was appreciated while it lasted.

Thanks for the shots anyway.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 01:37 PM
  #523
Draekke
Registered User
 
Draekke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
The tangential conversations are the best part of the forums. It's nothing to do with here. I can't talk about it due to confidentiality. I love this place. Sorry guys. I hope the thread stays alive with other people contributing their shots.
Sorry to hear that Slicknitty, I have enjoyed your photos! Thanks for taking the time out of your day to do this for everyone on here.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 01:55 PM
  #524
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
The tangential conversations are the best part of the forums. It's nothing to do with here. I can't talk about it due to confidentiality. I love this place. Sorry guys. I hope the thread stays alive with other people contributing their shots.
Thanks for the pics, your efforts were appreciated.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:01 PM
  #525
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
The tangential conversations are the best part of the forums. It's nothing to do with here. I can't talk about it due to confidentiality. I love this place. Sorry guys. I hope the thread stays alive with other people contributing their shots.
Ya I was just joking around a bit ... thanks for the work and the daily pics that you did though.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.