HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kelly appreciation thread

Old
03-20-2007, 10:50 PM
BigEyedPhish

vCash: 500
Chris Kelly appreciation thread

I think Kelly has flown under the radar this year, but i think he could be tied with Volchenkov for the most improved player for the senators this year. The man is a workhorse and leaves everything he has on the ice game in and game out. I think Chris Kelly is one of the best kinds player and Im glad we got him. I have a feeling if it comes down to one huge moment sometime in the playoffs this year and we come out on top, he will be the hero. This is just my prediction

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

/sign

Kelly is a stallion.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Herdin

Herdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:53 PM
moz
Gute Post

Honestly I've been hard on Kelly throughout his tenure here, always criticising his lack of finish and stone hands and whatever else, but the guy's got 16 goals, was probably the best centre in January next to Crosby, is an incredible penalty killer, and can fit into pretty much any role given to him. He's already 100x the player I expected him to be a couple years ago.

03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Honestly I've been hard on Kelly throughout his tenure here, always criticising his lack of finish and stone hands and whatever else, but the guy's got 16 goals, was probably the best centre in January next to Crosby, is an incredible penalty killer, and can fit into pretty much any role given to him. He's already 100x the player I expected him to be a couple years ago.
Hes our Rod Brind'Amour

Old
03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
ISensFanI

Kelly is a Mule.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:58 PM
DEATHtrap

There is good reason he is a favorite of Murray. He plays a simple, smart and determined game. I was not always huge Kelly fan. But I give him the biggest compliment I can a player, he undermined my biases and converted me into a believer in him this season.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:01 PM
The Fuhr*

I think highly of Kelly and can't wait to see him raise his game to another level in the playoffs.

Theres just something about him when I watch that screams out clutch.

Hes Mr. Everything to this team. He does everything asked of him and does a good job at it.

Playoffs he will really show what he is capable of. Go Kelly Go

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:17 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Something occurred to me as I was watching.

I always figured that Vermette is what made Kelly good.

Then I realized, Vermette has only been at his peak when playing with Kelly.

Whereas Kelly can seemingly play with anyone.

So does Vermette need Kelly more than Kelly needs Vermette?

(Yes, I've had plenty of cold medication)

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

Dayquil I presume.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:31 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:

I find Kelly alot more valuable than Vermette. I see Vermette as a tradable asset, but Kelly is one of those guys that has something extra that is rapidly decreasing in todays league and thats the run and gun never slow down old time hockey spirit that wins Stanley cups, and ultimately thats all that matters. I can clearly and easily see Kelly becoming the next Captian after Alfy and Phillips.

Old
03-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Mullan32

Go Kelly!! #22 Rules!!

but seriously Kelly is a good role player he knows his spot on the team.

Mullan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Brembo

Way to go Kelly!

Brembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Human Megaphone

I'd love to see them lock him up for a long term deal before he gets any grandiose ideas. Something like 1.1 for three years.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Bileur

I'll join in despite the fact that he still gets a semi-free ride.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Heatley4Hart*

Kelly is also a heart and soul character type of guy with leadership decpite what his playing abilities. Easy to tell why he has been team captain all through his junior career and in the AHL. He will one day be a captain in the NHL as he gets older.

I think he will score 20+ goals next year and be in line for a selky or 2 for the years to come. His game is centered around 2 main things, SMARTS and SKATING. He has improved his finishing abilities at bit also particulary in the second half this year.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:08 AM
The_Team_Nurse

Chris Kelly, great guy, better player! I hope he really turns it on in the playoffs and stays with the sens. I have a real bad gut feeling that he may be traded though. Even if he is one of Murry's pets.

The_Team_Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Heatley4Hart*

Traded for $$ reasons? Other than that, I dont see him going anywhere. Even with that, you would have to get rid of Corvo, Gerber and the like long b4 you deal a good young player like that who will still be cheaper than both and more improtant to the team.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:24 AM
The_Team_Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley4Hart View Post
Traded for $$ reasons? Other than that, I dont see him going anywhere. Even with that, you would have to get rid of Corvo, Gerber and the like long b4 you deal a good young player like that who will still be cheaper than both and more improtant to the team.
I don't mean traded by next season, but soon. If he performs in the playoffs like I think he will, and keeps developing, he is gonna want more money. A similar situation as we have with Emery. And unless they can cut the dead weight of Gerber and Corvo, I just can't see them being able to keep a lot of their young talent. Other teams without the sens cap restraints will be able to offer them more.

The_Team_Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:41 AM
hockeycountry

Quote:

Eh. I don't think it's fair to Kelly anymore to say he only plays well with Vermette, but I don't think it's fair to Vermette to say the opposite, either. I still think Vermette played his best hockey this year with Alfredsson and Schaefer (despite the fact that Schaefer was underperforming like crazy at that time). But at times this year, there've been calls to keep Vermette with Alfie, then Eaves, then Comrie, now Kelly . . . if you stretched back far enough, possibly even McAmmond. That must say something.

Basically, I think Kelly can play with anyone, but is better in certain roles (for example, I vastly prefer him in this role to playing alongside Spezza). I think Vermette is the same way, though his ideal role might be a little different than Kelly's. But I think their success together is equal parts chemistry and familiarity (which I know Murray is trying to encourage in the grand scheme, but must get lost in the shuffle sometimes with the current setup), not necessarily one making the other better. As for Vermette's struggle for consistency, I still think that's more an internal problem than anything.

Anyway, it's nice to see Kelly doing well, and it's nice to see him doing well beside Vermette, because they didn't look great together in earlier reunions this year. Though, huh, most of those times they were with Eaves. . . . Blame Eaves?

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:28 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Kelly got so many chances because he does all that the coaches want of him and more. He's used his ice time to make himself a much improved player.

He is getting really good. Him and Vermette were magic tonight.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:52 AM
sensfan83*

i absolutely hated kelly last year. I would say to my friends "how do they put that guy on the ice? he's terrible!!" He was SOO weak on the puck and seemed so uncertain of what to do with it and acted like he didnt belong in the nhl (i would say he looked like hamel did this year). Now i am one of his biggest fans, he is definitely the most improved senator IMO. He can do everything and he rarely makes a mistake, he still needs to work on his scoring touch tho. He gets tons of chances due to his hard work, and if he can ever learn to finish like an elite scorer he could be scoring 30-40 goals per year. I love him

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Lexicon Devil

I am surprised to see that he is statistically our worst penalty-killer (in terms of +/- normalized to icetime).

Heatley: +1.87
McAmmond: -1.50
Fisher: -2.52
Alfredsson: -2.58
Vermette: -3.70
Kelly: -5.87

Schubert: -0.77
Redden: -1.95
Phillips: -3.39
Meszaros: -3.75
Corvo: -4.29
Volchenkov: -4.30

http://www.behindthenet.ca/sh_stats.html

... not intentionally trying to be negative. I really like Kelly - just surprised to notice this.

And offtopic, but Neil is by far the worst player statistically on the PP.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:50 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycountry View Post
Eh. I don't think it's fair to Kelly anymore to say he only plays well with Vermette, but I don't think it's fair to Vermette to say the opposite, either. I still think Vermette played his best hockey this year with Alfredsson and Schaefer (despite the fact that Schaefer was underperforming like crazy at that time). But at times this year, there've been calls to keep Vermette with Alfie, then Eaves, then Comrie, now Kelly . . . if you stretched back far enough, possibly even McAmmond. That must say something.

Basically, I think Kelly can play with anyone, but is better in certain roles (for example, I vastly prefer him in this role to playing alongside Spezza). I think Vermette is the same way, though his ideal role might be a little different than Kelly's. But I think their success together is equal parts chemistry and familiarity (which I know Murray is trying to encourage in the grand scheme, but must get lost in the shuffle sometimes with the current setup), not necessarily one making the other better. As for Vermette's struggle for consistency, I still think that's more an internal problem than anything.

Anyway, it's nice to see Kelly doing well, and it's nice to see him doing well beside Vermette, because they didn't look great together in earlier reunions this year. Though, huh, most of those times they were with Eaves. . . . Blame Eaves?
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Quote:
Eaves has chemistry with anyone.

He could have chemistry with a Noble Gas and a toaster.
Althought maybe not Vermette and Kelly. <_<

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:37 AM
rban*

After our Cash line, I consider Fisher, Kelly and Neil to be our most important players (I would've thought Scaheffer but he is underperforming a bit this year). Seriously, guys like Vermette and Eaves and Comrie are good, but I consider the 3-4 tough gritty yet talented three-some (possibly four-some if Schaeefer imporves a bit) to be more valuable. You can get talent and scoring, but Talent PLUS tough grit is a rarer and more valuable commodity.

This is not just an academic comment: in years to come we'll not be able to afford to keep ALL the forwards we have. Choices'll have to be made.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote