HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Attention All Hockey "experts"...

Old
03-20-2007, 01:57 PM
in the hall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Just waiting for Hall's favorite two words.
are you talking about me?

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:07 PM
alkurtz

You can never discount group dynamics and psychological factors. Athletes have tremendous pride in their abilities and hockey players, in particular, are very much caught up in the concept of belonging to a team.

Last year, when SI picked the Rangers to finish dead last, the Rangers used that as motivation and it helped them get off to a suprisingly good start. Hurt pride carried them well into the season.

Right now, I wouldnt doubt that the Ranger players are well aware of that little roundtable with Clement, Hull, etc. and that not a single one of the commentators picked the Rangers to make the playoffs. I'm sure that has partly motivated them to perform as they have. Just a little thing, but little things give you an edge.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:05 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
This is more or less what I expected from the team. My comment was against this thread not the team. Seems like every time the Rangers get on a roll or something the usual suspects have to start a thread where they can fluff their feathers, blow their trumpets, and question the loyalties of any fan who isn't bouncing off the walls over what has been another sub-par season. However, half the 'true-believers' in this thread were ready to bury the team and throw themselves into oncoming traffic when things looked bleak. We all want the same things for this team. You can't compare team loyalty and the purpose of this board. Everyone comes here for different reasons. For some it's a chance to rattle the pots and pans and celebrate this team to the max. For posters such as myself, it's a chance to kinda kick the dog when things are going badly. And others just want to round-table dicuss the team. Break the game down and critique performances. I don't get what the big deal is or why a thread is needed every time the team picks itself up off the ice for a few games.
Another great post by Shadowtron, who is by far my favorite poster here (even though he doesnt post alot).

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
You can never discount group dynamics and psychological factors. Athletes have tremendous pride in their abilities and hockey players, in particular, are very much caught up in the concept of belonging to a team.

Last year, when SI picked the Rangers to finish dead last, the Rangers used that as motivation and it helped them get off to a suprisingly good start. Hurt pride carried them well into the season.

Right now, I wouldnt doubt that the Ranger players are well aware of that little roundtable with Clement, Hull, etc. and that not a single one of the commentators picked the Rangers to make the playoffs. I'm sure that has partly motivated them to perform as they have. Just a little thing, but little things give you an edge.
its surprising, but i think a big reason we are winning now is because of Aaron Ward being gone. just a guess, but the team seems more cohesive now that hes gone. strange because hes always been seen as such a team guy.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:47 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Notice how the usual negative posters are silent? Sometimes I have very serious doubts about whether some of them are really rangers fans. In all honesty I can't recall any positive posts from some of them.
I say we take those "negative posters" out the back and knock the snot out of them. They are definetly not real fans.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I say we take those "negative posters" out the back and knock the snot out of them. They are definetly not real fans.
Next person to say Shananagans is going to get pistol-whipped. Hey Farva, Whats that restaraunt you like with all the funny stuff on the walls? Shananagans? Is it Shananagans? lol

Sorry I am watching supertroopers and that came to my mind when I read your post lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Pizza

While I may disagree with the opinions of some and agree that others are excessively negative, I acknowledge that we are ALL Ranger fans here. Some folks just like to ***** and moan, while others are just cynical and negative in the way they see the world. The Rangers can have a negative effect on even the most positive person, myself included.

The guys I take exception to and have issue with are the "PROFESSIONALS" who act like anything but. It is just wonderful to watch these hacks like Clement, Melrose and the rest of the knuckle heads slowly begin to temper their statements. The good thing is their stupid and premature comments from weeks ago are out there and the Rangers heard them. I hope and pray they keep serenading us with their biased stupidity. You can just sense how hard it is for Clement to even acknowledge a Rangers victory. I love to watch him grimace.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
are you talking about me?
Yes sir. suprised you havent said them yet.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:28 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It's not worth the trouble, True Blue.

This antii-negativity baloney grew tiresome 5 years ago.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Another great post by Shadowtron, who is by far my favorite poster here (even though he doesnt post alot).

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
While I may disagree with the opinions of some and agree that others are excessively negative, I acknowledge that we are ALL Ranger fans here. Some folks just like to ***** and moan, while others are just cynical and negative in the way they see the world. The Rangers can have a negative effect on even the most positive person, myself included.
- I can definitely get behind that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The guys I take exception to and have issue with are the "PROFESSIONALS" who act like anything but. It is just wonderful to watch these hacks like Clement, Melrose and the rest of the knuckle heads slowly begin to temper their statements. The good thing is their stupid and premature comments from weeks ago are out there and the Rangers heard them. I hope and pray they keep serenading us with their biased stupidity. You can just sense how hard it is for Clement to even acknowledge a Rangers victory. I love to watch him grimace.
I sort of owe you an apology, Pizza. I sincerely thought that by 'professionals' you were being sarcastic against the other members of this board. And while my initial rant was not directed at you per se, you were thrown into the bundle of targets. So I do apologize for that. I was a knucklehead.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Yes sir. suprised you havent said them yet.
rangers suck

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Edge

The two factions on this board kill me sometimes.

When things are bleak you can't find the voice of reason because the older crowd complains about everything.

When things are bright you can't find the voice of reason because the younger crowd goes into rapture mode.

If either side just came 10% towards the middle there would be some great discourse.

This is why I got out of politics, I hate extremes.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote