HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs now fully control their playoff destiny

Old
03-18-2007, 12:31 AM
54toscore

vCash: 500
Avs now fully control their playoff destiny

If the Avs win out (only caveat, they must beat the Flames in regulation), they are guaranteed a playoff spot.

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy2007 View Post
If the Avs win out (only caveat, they must beat the Flames in regulation), they are guaranteed a playoff spot.
the Avs are going to take a playoff spot by a minimum of 4 points... the only playoff in the flames future is on the 18th hole

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Allen Degenerate
Rookie User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the Avs are going to take a playoff spot by a minimum of 4 points... the only playoff in the flames future is on the 18th hole
You seem a little pessimistic, Lunatik.

Allen Degenerate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Aerolanche

Gigantic test tonight, if the Avs can win this one they have 2 games back to back vs. the Oilers which may help out.

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam sinister View Post
You seem a little pessimistic, Lunatik.
no realistic... the flames have no heart what so ever... the forwards care more about their stats than playing a little defense... teams like that dont succeed just ask the all those cup winning teams the rangers tried to buy

Old
03-19-2007, 02:03 AM
Hooligan on E

ima nux fan but i hate calgary and wana see them out

i think who ever plays CAL in first round will likely win whether its nash, det,anhm or whoever. but i think avs can pull an upset in the opening round and eliminate one of the power house teams of the west!

from here on, im gona go for the avs till their in a playoff position!

right on avs!!

Hooligan on E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 02:11 AM
WineShark

Good game tonight Av's.

Take a peak at the remaining games for Calgary. They have 11 games (according to ESPN but something seems off since it also says they have played 72 games - same as Av's). They have 7 games against playoff teams in the final stretch. 2 are against the Av's, and 6 games are away, with one back-to-back against Nashville. Tough schedule and easy to see them not go .500%

Avs have 5 P/O teams to face with 10 games remaining. 6 are away and there are no back-to-backs, and you play Calgary twice. If you can win the games you should win, you might make up those 4 points and sneak in on the last day .......

I predict it goes to the last day and you play the Flames all tied up for the last playoff spot. The score is tied 0-0 after three periods , and OT ends scoreless. It goes to the shootout to see who will get to the second season. The shoutout goes 11 rounds until - going left, then right, then behind the legs beating the goalie 5 hole, Brad ...................... ooops, the crystal ball just went blank!

good luck the rest of the way. It will be interesting!

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:23 AM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Good game tonight Av's.

Take a peak at the remaining games for Calgary. They have 11 games (according to ESPN but something seems off since it also says they have played 72 games - same as Av's). They have 7 games against playoff teams in the final stretch. 2 are against the Av's, and 6 games are away, with one back-to-back against Nashville. Tough schedule and easy to see them not go .500%

Avs have 5 P/O teams to face with 10 games remaining. 6 are away and there are no back-to-backs, and you play Calgary twice. If you can win the games you should win, you might make up those 4 points and sneak in on the last day .......

I predict it goes to the last day and you play the Flames all tied up for the last playoff spot. The score is tied 0-0 after three periods , and OT ends scoreless. It goes to the shootout to see who will get to the second season. The shoutout goes 11 rounds until - going left, then right, then behind the legs beating the goalie 5 hole, Brad ...................... ooops, the crystal ball just went blank!

good luck the rest of the way. It will be interesting!
Yeah I noticed that ESPN thing too. Having Nashville twice was an error, they only play them once (if you look at Nashville's schedule on ESPN, it wrongly shows 4 games in 4 nights).

Anyway, here are a few things that make Calgary's hopes look bleak (and therefore make the Avs situation look brighter):

-In the entire season, Calgary has only beaten 2 teams on the road that are currently in playoff positions. The first was Ottawa in October, and the second was Vancouver in November. Both teams were playing their worst hockey of the year at this point, so calling those versions of the teams playoff teams is being generous. If you look at their entire road record, you can see that the only teams that they have beaten on the road are either bottom feeders (St. Louis, Phoenix, or LA) or teams that were going through slumps at the time (Colorado, Vancouver, etc.).

-6 of the Flames' final 10 games are on the road and 4 of those are against playoff teams (Minnesota X2, Vancouver, and San Jose). A 5th is against the Avs who are playing as well as anyone right now, and the last is against Chicago, who have beaten the Flames in their last 2 meetings.

-3 of their 4 home games are against difficult teams (Detroit, Nashville, and the Avs). The 4th is against Edmonton, and I think that's their only more or less guaranteed win of the bunch.

-The Flames record over the last 2 months is a mediocre 13-10-6.

Of course the Flames could pick it up, but they've been in a race for the Northwest Division lead for months and if they couldn't bring their A game for that, then there really isn't much reason to believe that they are all of the sudden going to correct their woes at the very end of the season.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Yeah I noticed that ESPN thing too. Having Nashville twice was an error, they only play them once (if you look at Nashville's schedule on ESPN, it wrongly shows 4 games in 4 nights).

Anyway, here are a few things that make Calgary's hopes look bleak (and therefore make the Avs situation look brighter):

-In the entire season, Calgary has only beaten 2 teams on the road that are currently in playoff positions. The first was Ottawa in October, and the second was Vancouver in November. Both teams were playing their worst hockey of the year at this point, so calling those versions of the teams playoff teams is being generous. If you look at their entire road record, you can see that the only teams that they have beaten on the road are either bottom feeders (St. Louis, Phoenix, or LA) or teams that were going through slumps at the time (Colorado, Vancouver, etc.).

-6 of the Flames' final 10 games are on the road and 4 of those are against playoff teams (Minnesota X2, Vancouver, and San Jose). A 5th is against the Avs who are playing as well as anyone right now, and the last is against Chicago, who have beaten the Flames in their last 2 meetings.

-3 of their 4 home games are against difficult teams (Detroit, Nashville, and the Avs). The 4th is against Edmonton, and I think that's their only more or less guaranteed win of the bunch.

-The Flames record over the last 2 months is a mediocre 13-10-6.

Of course the Flames could pick it up, but they've been in a race for the Northwest Division lead for months and if they couldn't bring their A game for that, then there really isn't much reason to believe that they are all of the sudden going to correct their woes at the very end of the season.
exactly true... after they lose to detroit and nashville their season is all but finished... unless something astronomical happens the playoff spot is for the Avs to lose... i honestly feel the Avs will take the final playoff spot with a good 3-5 points cushion

Old
03-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Canucks19*

Please avs, pleeeease!!! take calgary out of the playoffs, i hate them so much, it will be the equivalent feeling to me as the canucks winning the cup! that is how much i hate the flames!!!

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Brunosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
... The 4th is against Edmonton, and I think that's their only more or less guaranteed win of the bunch.
I don't expect Edmonton to win any more games this year, but this is the one they will try their damndest to win. Calgary knocked them out of the playoffs in the exact opposite situation a few years ago, and I'm sure they would like nothing more than a little pay-back on the final game of the season. At this point, it's all they can salvage out of the season.

I hope that the game is not meaningless and they pull it off somehow. Seeing the whole Saddledome devastated would be the highlight of the season for me.

I'm pulling for you guys.

Brunosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Are the Flames hated this much? I know I can't stand the Flames.

But to you Canuck and Minnesota fans... do you really want a red hot Avalanche team burning it up in the last 10 games, coming into the playoffs full steam? Or do you want a half-hearted Flames just squeak in?

Although, Flames could turn it around completely once playoffs began and we all know that on paper they are probably the best team in the NW. It's a real waste of a roster, if you ask me.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
Are the Flames hated this much? I know I can't stand the Flames.

But to you Canuck and Minnesota fans... do you really want a red hot Avalanche team burning it up in the last 10 games, coming into the playoffs full steam? Or do you want a half-hearted Flames just squeak in?

Although, Flames could turn it around completely once playoffs began and we all know that on paper they are probably the best team in the NW. It's a real waste of a roster, if you ask me.
I dont care about a red hot avs team making the playoffs, because they will have to go through Nashville/Detroit first, then i will worry, second, i hate the flames because..... their the flames, its just been building since they took us out in 03/04, but i also know a lot of flames fans, and i can't stand them, so this would be great if the avs make it.

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Blue Dragon

Let's not forget I think that Edmonton will be more hyped for the 'Battle of Alberta' than for the game against us.

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:56 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
I dont care about a red hot avs team making the playoffs, because they will have to go through Nashville/Detroit first, then i will worry, second, i hate the flames because..... their the flames, its just been building since they took us out in 03/04, but i also know a lot of flames fans, and i can't stand them, so this would be great if the avs make it.
The sweetest thing in the world would be to make it in and knock off the Deadwings in the first round. Even if we were to be swept in the succeeding round, nothing could erase my joy.

Sadly, that is rather unlikely.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:02 AM
Kesler Kills Kommies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
The sweetest thing in the world would be to make it in and knock off the Deadwings in the first round. Even if we were to be swept in the succeeding round, nothing could erase my joy.

Sadly, that is rather unlikely.
reality check: the almighty avs will make the playoffs and kick calgary out of playoff contention! Nothing will stop sakic from accomplishing this goal, nothing will!

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:44 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver_2010 View Post
reality check: the almighty avs will make the playoffs and kick calgary out of playoff contention! Nothing will stop sakic from accomplishing this goal, nothing will!
Agreed. Flames are going to/are collapse[ing]

03-21-2007, 03:59 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

What sucks is that Detroit couldn't muster more than 1 friggin goal against the Flames...yet when we play the Wings, it's like we can't stop them from scoring more than a goal?

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote