HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doc Emerick Calling Ranger Games on VS

Old
03-21-2007, 12:38 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Why is he called Doc Emerick?
What's his degree?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
And Zach Parise knives it over the half-boards along to Travis Zajac, who nudges it to Travis Zajac, and yes, there are two Travis Zajac's out on the ice, one obviously being the real one, the other being an imposter with Travis Zajac paraphanelia on. One of the Zajac has just gotten into a sparring match with Rootin' Tootin' Gunslingin' Yosimite Sam, while Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck have teamed up to beat Sergei Brylin with a mallot. And while of all this is happening, the 800 pound gorilla in the room has just told me to inquire about an investment plan, but hey, he's just the 800 pound gorilla in the room, what does he know? And now it seems my announcer's table has been pitchforked along after it was completely destroyed by the Dudley Boyz who 3D'ed Patrik Elias through it, and while all of this is happening, Chico has enlodged his head in Marty Brodeur's ass, and is having a world of trouble in attempting to remove it. I'm fine, Doc! No trouble here! Sure thing, Chico. And back to the play where a Mack Truck has gotten loose on the ice and has just flattened Cam Janssen. I guess Tomas Kaberle had something to do with this, but no, that truck is being driven by none other than Enrico Ciccone, and now Tony Twist has pulled him out of the truck, and they have ensued in fisticuffs, and there is pandemonium here at Continental.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:46 AM
dank

simply brillliant

so brilliant i had to use 3 L's in the word..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:01 AM
schoenfeld
2 Way Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappingstinger View Post
What's his degree?
"Emrick has earned a Bachelor's degree in speech from Manchester College in 1964, a Master's degree in radio/television from Miami University (Ohio) in 1969, and a Doctorate in radio/television/film from Bowling Green State University in 1976 (a degree from which he gets his nickname, "Doc")."

schoenfeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Devs

Quote:
And Zach Parise knives it over the half-boards along to Travis Zajac...
It's "jack-knifed".

Can we at least agree Doc and JD may have been the best commentary team, and we got to enjoy them for years?

Devs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:25 AM
o0goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
"Emrick has earned a Bachelor's degree in speech from Manchester College in 1964, a Master's degree in radio/television from Miami University (Ohio) in 1969, and a Doctorate in radio/television/film from Bowling Green State University in 1976 (a degree from which he gets his nickname, "Doc")."
Well it seems clear that he relies heavily on that education since his entire hockey vocabulary hasn't left the 70's....someone should send him the memo that everyone else got about it being 2007

o0goals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:28 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey View Post
Its really a commentators job to be partial towards the home team, or the team that pxp announcer works for. Rosen does it, so does Rose, pretty much every pxp announcer is biased so its not exclusive to Emerick. I think its hard when you get into a routine for about 70 or so games and then have to be completely change your mindset. Give him a break.
Yeah, but we're talking about VS. He can say and do whatever he wants on the Devil broadcasts.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:32 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs View Post
It's "jack-knifed".

Can we at least agree Doc and JD may have been the best commentary team, and we got to enjoy them for years?
No, he says knives as well.

And no, Doc's voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

JD was the best though, always called it how it was. Sam, however is quite the homer, and Micheletti is quite the follower.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
No, he says knives as well.

And no, Doc's voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

JD was the best though, always called it how it was. Sam, however is quite the homer, and Micheletti is quite the follower.
I think JD was more of a homer than Sam. But JD was never a homer on National TV like Emerick is. It's one thing to be a homer on your own network, it's quite another to be a homer on National TV.

Old
03-21-2007, 01:48 AM
frozenrubber

As I see it, Emerick's intensity has always been a waste on meaningless, Sunday afternoon games.

However, I cannot think of a better play-by-play announcer with a minute to go in a 1 goal game. Once Doc's delivery actually mirrors the competitiveness of a game, he's fantastic.

But since the season is 82 games long and many of them are absolute stinkers, it's easy to develop an animosity towards Doc Emerick's voice and find it grating.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:55 AM
ExiledRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
you've never heard any of the idiots from Pittsburgh
I had to register after reading this. I'm a Rangers fan currently in college in PA, so the only hockey I get to watch is Pitt. I've come to the conclusion that they're about the worst commentators for any sport there is. Doc seems a lot better compared to the announcers here.

ExiledRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledRangersFan View Post
I had to register after reading this. I'm a Rangers fan currently in college in PA, so the only hockey I get to watch is Pitt. I've come to the conclusion that they're about the worst commentators for any sport there is. Doc seems a lot better compared to the announcers here.
haha good to have you aboard.

Old
03-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I think JD was more of a homer than Sam. But JD was never a homer on National TV like Emerick is. It's one thing to be a homer on your own network, it's quite another to be a homer on National TV.
i agree, Sam & JD are 2 of the biggest homers in sports, its just what you expect to hear, but i can deal with "oh baby" but hearing someone say waffleboarded and his other 50,000 idiosyncratic euphemisms just starts to wear on you.

i mean, as a sports fan i EXPECT the home team announcers to be homers, you shouldnt expect it any other way (unless its a national broadcast) but theres being a homer, and being annoying. Chico and Doc are 2 of the most annoying imho.

Old
03-21-2007, 02:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledRangersFan View Post
puhlease, NOBODY comes close to the white sox announcers, NOBODY

Old
03-21-2007, 02:59 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
puhlease, NOBODY comes close to the white sox announcers, NOBODY
"There's one for the good guys"

"He gone"

"You can put it on the board.......yes"

When Jon Garland was struggling against the Yankees
"Brustle up Big Jon"

Anyways the worst in hockey is probably Buffalo, although I do find Emerick annoying.
I thought it was bad when Jennerate would go SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE! at the most high pitched voice ever, but then when I heard such things as MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLERRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR MAKES THE SAVE!!
THE COOKIE MONSTER STRIKES AGAIN!!!!
THE POPULATION IN POMMINVILLE GOES UP BY 1!!!
i was like wow this guy is so annoying

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 07:37 AM
pld459666

I may be alone, but I enjoy the way that Doc calls a game.

Pitchforked in is something that I absolutely understand and sometimes the way a player actually does it makes it look like he's using a pitchfork on a bale of hay.

I find myself interested in the games that he calls. I can watch the Devils games as long as Resch never opens his mouth, only because Emrick is calling the game.

If we are talking about homers that never utter a negatve word about the team they are calling then Chico is the worst villian alive in that regards.

I think that Doc is one of the most fairest PXP guys out there. To otp it iff, he calls a great game and is very entertaining.

but that's just me.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 07:39 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
"There's one for the good guys"

"He gone"

"You can put it on the board.......yes"

When Jon Garland was struggling against the Yankees
"Brustle up Big Jon"

Anyways the worst in hockey is probably Buffalo, although I do find Emerick annoying.
I thought it was bad when Jennerate would go SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE! at the most high pitched voice ever, but then when I heard such things as MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLERRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR MAKES THE SAVE!!
THE COOKIE MONSTER STRIKES AGAIN!!!!
THE POPULATION IN POMMINVILLE GOES UP BY 1!!!
i was like wow this guy is so annoying
that is so funny when he does that.

It's much better than Sam's "It's a power play goal" boring same old same old.

I would take Jennerate over Sam any day.

Old
03-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Levitate

I have to shake my head at anyone who thinks that JR is a good announcer. I usually assume that they're deluded Sabres fans.

It's not that the guy milks his goal calls, it's that he has an absolutely terrible voice to be doing crap like that. Terrible. And so he sucks.

Doc called Jagr "Hollweg" the other day.

He can be a pretty good announcer, but every once in awhile he forgets to take his meds and his verbage gets the best of him, rendering his pXp abilities useless in the face of such an onslaught.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 07:57 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I have to shake my head at anyone who thinks that JR is a good announcer. I usually assume that they're deluded Sabres fans.

It's not that the guy milks his goal calls, it's that he has an absolutely terrible voice to be doing crap like that. Terrible. And so he sucks.

Doc called Jagr "Hollweg" the other day.

He can be a pretty good announcer, but every once in awhile he forgets to take his meds and his verbage gets the best of him, rendering his pXp abilities useless in the face of such an onslaught.
I think that his voice lends to the call. To me it's the package, voice, the milkyness of it, and the actual call itself.

I guess I'm alone in that, but that's OK. I enjoy it and wish our PXP guys would show a bit more emotion when good things happen.

Not sure who it was, but the guy who called the Malik goal in the shoot-out last year I thought did an absolutly great job because he conveyed exactly how I felt when I saw the goal.

I want the PXP guys to show excitement and be different in how they do it as opposed to the Vancouver guy that simply puts a total damper on things when a goal is scored all you hear is "score" simple and bland and boring and I'm like "what's the point in watching this if no one is excited that the team just scored"

It's like the Yankees Radio announcer with his home-run call. I want to feel the excitement coming from the TV. For me it helps the experience.

Old
03-21-2007, 08:05 AM
blue2noise

I happen to think Emerick is great. He definitely brings up the excitement in the game, unlike Rose. When you switch over to the isles game it sounds like he is half asleep.

Chico, on the other hand... WORST color man bar none.

And if Gary Thorne would have gotten the names right (Purington?) , he had such a great voice for hockey. I miss ESPN.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i agree, Sam & JD are 2 of the biggest homers in sports, its just what you expect to hear, but i can deal with "oh baby" but hearing someone say waffleboarded and his other 50,000 idiosyncratic euphemisms just starts to wear on you.

i mean, as a sports fan i EXPECT the home team announcers to be homers, you shouldnt expect it any other way (unless its a national broadcast) but theres being a homer, and being annoying. Chico and Doc are 2 of the most annoying imho.
Sam and JD are Homers and support their team, but are also the first to credit other teams with good play and are also to first to jump on the backs of the Rangers if they are not playing well. They always kept an open mind. This is something that you do not get with most announcers. As for Doc, just cant stand his high pitched voice.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think that his voice lends to the call. To me it's the package, voice, the milkyness of it, and the actual call itself.

I guess I'm alone in that, but that's OK. I enjoy it and wish our PXP guys would show a bit more emotion when good things happen.
No, he just sucks.

I think Sam does a good job. I don't need to hear announcers sounding like they've just climaxed.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:15 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

My favroite is "unmolested through the zone" and "shot caught glass!"

He has serious problems.

He hasnt come up with any new ones either. If he has he doesnt use them enough. You think he would get sick of saying the word "shoveled" 1,000 times a game.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:15 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappingstinger View Post
What's his degree?
He graduated with a Masters in Public Annoyance from Princeton Univeristy.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:16 AM
blue2noise

What's lost in this discussion is Michiletti. i think he's been great and hes not afraid to rip the refs or the Rangers if necessary.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote