HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars president 'sick' of Predators' overall attitude

Old
03-20-2007, 06:27 AM
DeathFromAbove

vCash: 500
I'm just going to agree to disagree.

While there are some good fans here who are willing to talk about this, there are a few immature stubborn people I don't feel like arguing with.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

I just thought I would pipe in a little. I'm a Vancouver fan and I am always tuning into the sports talk radio and they are constantly saying how this is move proof to Bettman's PR prowess... or lack thereof. I don't need to say again about the lack of publicity that the NHL receives in areas in particular like Nashville. The who all star fiasco where they aired it on a Wednesday night on the Versus Network instead of ESPN (all to save a few bucks) is part of the reason why no one knows what's going on in the NHL. The worst part is, there are many americans who are interested, they just don't even get the networks who broadcast them.

This could have been a great opportunity to inform the people that there are exciting things happening in the NHL. And they blew it. They constantly talk about how misplayed superstars like Crosby and Ovechkin are because of the stupid schedule. When Ovechkin came to Vancouver, everyone was talking about it because it was the only chance to get a glimpse of the phenom in action for the next 3 years. Crosby won't even make it to our city this year.

So now they're saying that Poile could have responded to the request and at least informed everyone of the significance of his 2 goals. No one would have made a stink. Who cares if you like the goals? If the events of that night hadn't come about in that manner it might have been different.

The whole NHL administration is incompetant and is more concerned about saving a few dollars than reaching their target audience. Bettman is happy just to have a job. He knows he'll be ousted soon unless he has mafia connections... which might explain how someone of his naivite and incompetance got the job in the first place.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:15 AM
irisheyes555

Poile's response

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....703200373/1028

Tuesday, 03/20/07

Poile: Stars' president unprofessional

By JOHN GLENNON
Staff Writer

Comments by Dallas Stars President Jim Lites ripping the Predators were surprising, disappointing and "extremely unprofessional,'' Predators General Manager David Poile said Monday.

In Monday's edition of The Dallas Morning News, Lites charged the Preds with "failing the game'' for not publicly recognizing Mike Modano's record-setting goal in Saturday's game at Nashville Arena, tore into Coach Barry Trotz for defending forward Jordin Tootoo and took shots at the franchise's economic state and scheduling preference.

"Perhaps he should take that up with the commissioner or probably he should contact the Predators directly," Poile said. "That's extremely unprofessional on Lites' behalf. I can't think for a second that we would ever do or say something like that about Dallas. It's uncalled for and I'm sure we'll take that up with the commissioner.''

The NHL noticed the Lites comments, league spokesman Frank Brown. He said Commissioner Gary Bettman already had contacted Lites.

"(Bettman) thought those comments were inappropriate and that was conveyed by the commissioner to the Stars,'' Brown said.

Brown wouldn't say if Lites is subject to disciplinary action.

Preds changed course

Lites' primary beef was that the Predators didn't officially recognize Modano, who scored the 502nd and 503rd goals of his career to move into first place among American-born players.

Poile said the Stars had not contacted Nashville regarding any special recognition if Modano reached the milestone, outside of a request that he receive the goal-netting. That request was granted.

"There's a protocol within the league when there is a team that has a player having a milestone,'' Poile said. "We never heard anything from them. I know if we had a player that was approaching a milestone, we would have contacted that team and made whatever request we thought was appropriate.''

The Preds had planned on an announcement, Poile said.

But late in the game Modano was involved in an altercation with Tootoo that led Modano to swing his stick down over Tootoo's back after Tootoo punched Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas.

Fans booed Modano, and when he scored his historic goal less than a minute later, booing increased. That's when the Preds decided against an announcement, Poile said.

"Everyone saw (Modano) hit Tootoo in the back with his stick,'' Poile said. "He was getting booed by everybody when he scored the goal. I think good judgment prevailed. I think if something was unveiled to recognize or honor him at that time, it could have been an uncomfortable situation in that building.''

'Taken aback'

Lites tied Modano's situation to other gripes on the Preds.

"I understand it's a competitive situation, but we're also working together to sell the game,'' Lites told The Dallas Morning News.

"They get more money from revenue sharing than any team in the league, they voted against the new schedule because they wanted to have an easier schedule for themselves. They take and take and take and take and never give back, and I'm sick of it.''

Poile said Lites never had been in contact with the Predators regarding any such complaints.

"Obviously we were very surprised and taken aback by what he had to say,'' Poile said. "I mean when you think about it, he does not have knowledge to comment on our financial situation directly, and secondly, he's publicly divulging our private vote.''

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Jarnberg

I'm glad to see Poile step up and give a great response. Too bad no one in the hockey world will care at this point, but I'm still glad Poile stood up for our organization.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:25 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
there are a few immature stubborn people I don't feel like arguing with.
You're new to HFboards, it happens to everyone.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:27 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I'm glad to see Poile step up and give a great response. Too bad no one in the hockey world will care at this point, but I'm still glad Poile stood up for our organization.
Agreed.

Old
03-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
....snip....
This could have been a great opportunity to inform the people that there are exciting things happening in the NHL. And they blew it. They constantly talk about how misplayed superstars like Crosby and Ovechkin are because of the stupid schedule. When Ovechkin came to Vancouver, everyone was talking about it because it was the only chance to get a glimpse of the phenom in action for the next 3 years. Crosby won't even make it to our city this year.

So now they're saying that Poile could have responded to the request and at least informed everyone of the significance of his 2 goals. No one would have made a stink. Who cares if you like the goals? If the events of that night hadn't come about in that manner it might have been different.

The whole NHL administration is incompetant and is more concerned about saving a few dollars than reaching their target audience. Bettman is happy just to have a job. He knows he'll be ousted soon unless he has mafia connections... which might explain how someone of his naivite and incompetance got the job in the first place.

To quote a friend on another board who said it best:

First off, it WAS on the jumbotron before the game. The achievement WAS mentioned after the game during Barry Trotz' press conference. There WAS an announcement during the 3 stars. The potential to set the record WAS in the newspaper that morning--along with a large photo of Modano. It WAS in the handout distributed before the game. If the Stars organization wanted to have the game stopped and laurels thrown upon Modano, they really should have asked for it.

Modano got his net, which is what the Stars organization asked for.

I wonder why no one is interested in facts.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
To quote a friend on another board who said it best:

First off, it WAS on the jumbotron before the game. The achievement WAS mentioned after the game during Barry Trotz' press conference. There WAS an announcement during the 3 stars. The potential to set the record WAS in the newspaper that morning--along with a large photo of Modano. It WAS in the handout distributed before the game. If the Stars organization wanted to have the game stopped and laurels thrown upon Modano, they really should have asked for it.

Modano got his net, which is what the Stars organization asked for.

I wonder why no one is interested in facts.

Nice post Patty.

No matter what we say, we'll still be liars to some. Or that we haven't done enough. If we would have had a small stoppage where Modano got booed Leipold would have gotten flack for that too sadly.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:16 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
I'm just going to agree to disagree.

While there are some good fans here who are willing to talk about this, there are a few immature stubborn people I don't feel like arguing with.
Like those who question how someone so far removed from their team can claim the exact same devotion as those who regulary attend 45 games a year?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Like those who question how someone so far removed from their team can claim the exact same devotion as those who regulary attend 45 games a year?
I attend all the Hurricanes games in Toronto, buy merchandise off NHL.com, bought centre ice just to watch Canes games and support the team as much as I can.

Stop being a jackass about me not living in the city I cheer for, I am as much a fan of the team as anyone in Raleigh.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
I attend all the Hurricanes games in Toronto, buy merchandise off NHL.com, bought centre ice just to watch Canes games and support the team as much as I can.

Stop being a jackass about me not living in the city I cheer for, I am as much a fan of the team as anyone in Raleigh.
I'm not going to question your love of your team, I like the predators even though i've never been anywhere near Nashville before, but i'm not going to presume to be on quite the same level of fandom as some of the fans who actually do live in Nashville, who attend games and team functions, who may or may not interact with the players......

Its much like cheering for a NCAA School you never attended, you may love and support that team to the best of your ability but you'll never have that same connection as someone who is an alumnus

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Olaf

Quote:

point is, you don't get why we might boo Modano and called it childlike. Our point....if you lived in Raleigh....you would have a better idea why.
It is not about what level of fan, it is about defending your territory....like beyond center ice, a hat, a visit to another arena....more like you paid taxes, season tix ..etc.
Hope you understand, if not ....join the list of all those who seem to enjoy slamming this organization with false pretense.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:11 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:

No, you may be a fan of the team, but you don't have the close association with the city that those living in Raleigh do. And it was the city of Nashville, not just the franchise, that was attacked. And it's pretty unreasonabe to claim that your feelings on a comment such as this affects you in the exact same way it would hit someone from that city, who lives in that city, and cheers for that team.

Personally, I think it's every bit as arrogant and pompous to claim the same association with the team and the city as season ticket holders. And grow some skin. People called you out on a questionable claim. Get over it. If you don’t like it, don't make statements such as that. If you want to continue making statements like that, I'd suggest you not read any of the following posts because our reaction was in no way out of line.

Old
03-20-2007, 04:50 PM
irisheyes555

i am sooooo ready for a game rather than all of this off-ice, prime-time, made-for-talkshow drama.

let's go beat up some left coast canadians and show them how we do things down south (do believe we have the bushwhack part out of the way ). smoke them like back-bacon and come back home for a classless good time and some hot wangs. leave 'em all squealing from the feeling.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
predhead1

I love this pseudo-record and how a giant disclaimer is attached to it in order for it to even be of significance. The simple fact is that the most goals scored by an American in the NHL came courtesy of Brett Hull.

But no, let's make a special honor for Mikey because Hull wasn't "US-Born"

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
I love this pseudo-record and how a giant disclaimer is attached to it in order for it to even be of significance. The simple fact is that the most goals scored by an American in the NHL came courtesy of Brett Hull.

But no, let's make a special honor for Mikey because Hull wasn't "US-Born"
Um....What part about Hull not being born in America, and therefore not American, is hard to understand?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:38 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz View Post
Um....What part about Hull not being born in America, and therefore not American, is hard to understand?

You do realize that you don't have to be born in the USA to be a USA citizen right?

Old
03-21-2007, 08:01 AM
AdsSabresRule

Technically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post

You do realize that you don't have to be born in the USA to be a USA citizen right?
THAT is why the record is called "...by an American BORN player". Gotta give this argument to Starz here...

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:06 AM
AdsSabresRule

Players, records, and birthplaces...

Records are meant to confuse (kidding), but I once won a small argument with a guy about the first 'African - American' player in the NHL. The gist was 'U.S. born player'. I think he talked about Willie O'Ree (not a U.S. born player) - but, having been a Buffalo Sabre diehard, I was sure that the first U.S. born African - American player to play in the NHL was Val James. Right. He was born in FL. So, the wording of what the argument/record/stat is is really important...and the funny thing is, that there is always someone out there that can find a more esoteric stat or fact to dispute what everyone else commonly thinks...but, the Hull/Modano, U.S. born goal - scorer thing is pretty clear...
Go Preds!

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:22 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
THAT is why the record is called "...by an American BORN player". Gotta give this argument to Starz here...
which is exactly why it's a pseudo-record. Why isn't the record simply for most goals by an American player?

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
canadianpredsfan97

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet since it's such a long thread, but it's amazing to see Lites criticize Nashville for how we supposedly treated Modano, when it was the Stars that stripped Mike of the "C" during training camp.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
If you read the flow of the argument, you simply can't give any but sympathy to Starz here.

Starz didn't make the American-born claim as is actually the record Modano set and as you seem to be implying with your call. He was saying that Hull was not American. Hull absolutely is American. And golfmade called him out.

In retrospect, it's not an argument. It's merely a correction of an error.