HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doc Emerick Calling Ranger Games on VS

Old
03-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
I have no problem with his "style". Great to see personality in the booth. I just dont like his OBVIOUS bias against the NY RANGERS even when they are NOT playing the Devils on a versus game like the other night.

03-21-2007, 09:21 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I just watched the replay of the game the other night. Does this guy loathe the Rangers or what? It's like he can barely stand saying anything truely complimentary about the NY Rangers team.

Thibeault makes spectacular SAVESSSS! while Lundqvist has pucks "rickochette" off him.

He GUSHES over the 22 first round draft picks playing on the Pens and barely mentions the fine play of Girardi, Pock, Callahan Dubinski etc.

I actually think he calls a great game when one of the teams is not The NY Rangers.

Is this just me or what?
as an impartial party watching the game, the guy called it as he typically would.

if anything NYR put up a barrage of shots and Thibault stood on his head. crucify emerick for acknowledging this.

lundqvist wasn't called upon to do much.

be lucky that you've got the nhl on your side w/that 'goal' and call it a day.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:23 AM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
Hey, I live in Binghamton, and whenever the Rangers play Buffalo, we get Buffalo's broadcast. Now those guys are almost too biased towards their team. ugh.

This guy...all that really annoys me is his voice, I really don't mind his anti-Rangerness as long as we win.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't care for some of is Doc-isms and I think he gets a bit too excited about routine plays but I don't think he showed any anti-Ranger sentiment.

And for the most part I think he does a good job at keeping any Devil homerism in check when he does games on FSNY. Which is good because Chico has plenty of that.

03-21-2007, 09:28 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I may be alone, but I enjoy the way that Doc calls a game.

Pitchforked in is something that I absolutely understand and sometimes the way a player actually does it makes it look like he's using a pitchfork on a bale of hay.

I find myself interested in the games that he calls. I can watch the Devils games as long as Resch never opens his mouth, only because Emrick is calling the game.

If we are talking about homers that never utter a negatve word about the team they are calling then Chico is the worst villian alive in that regards.

I think that Doc is one of the most fairest PXP guys out there. To otp it iff, he calls a great game and is very entertaining.

but that's just me.

I'm with you. Some guys here are just . I mean, God forbid the guy uses colorful vocabulary to describe the game and make it more interesting.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
towely

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
What's lost in this discussion is Michiletti. i think he's been great and hes not afraid to rip the refs or the Rangers if necessary.
i don't know with him i am still in the middle with liking him or hateing him sometimes he says good things but sometimes it seems he says things to try and fit in with the fans because he still feels he is under the gun for replaceing jd and he just seems to be walking the tight rope on kissing everyones butts all the time.

and emmrick i guess is not all that bad but i prefer not to hear him but as most said i'll take him over chico.
i also don't call emmrick " doc" i call him the puppet because if you tied some string on him and drew the lines down his mouth he would look like the real deal.
and sam as much as i like him he looks like a muppet from the fraggle rock.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I'm with you. Some guys here are just . I mean, God forbid the guy uses colorful vocabulary to describe the game and make it more interesting.
One time he used "twisted" 5 times in a span of 20 seconds.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:56 AM
dank

i didn't and don't like Joe Mich.. he always interrupts awkwardly and overall has an awkward way about him..

i did however really enjoy the guy who substituted for Sam a couple times earlier this year, i think when Sam was doing football broadcasts? some people said that he also does/did Jets commentary?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Bitter are we?

Hey listen - if the NHL was "on our side" there would be a player in blue wearing #87 on the Garden ice tonight.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
as an impartial party watching the game, the guy called it as he typically would.

if anything NYR put up a barrage of shots and Thibault stood on his head. crucify emerick for acknowledging this.

lundqvist wasn't called upon to do much.

Yep, nice and impartial there.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Bitter are we?

Hey listen - if the NHL was "on our side" there would be a player in blue wearing #87 on the Garden ice tonight.
And there would more Stanley Cup banners than just one in the last 67 years

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Jim Ramsay

Anyone catch Doc say "And Ortmeyer gallops up the boards"

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
i didn't and don't like Joe Mich.. he always interrupts awkwardly and overall has an awkward way about him..

i did however really enjoy the guy who substituted for Sam a couple times earlier this year, i think when Sam was doing football broadcasts? some people said that he also does/did Jets commentary?

I like Joe...he adds a bit of comic relief for me watchin the game, but you are absolutely right about him being awkward talkin about games. I like when he was askin Sam about block heaters..."Sam, do you know what a block heater is?" "Yes Joe" "You really know what a block heater is Sam?"

Meanwhile the game was going on for the 3 minutes Joe wanted to talk about block heaters.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:49 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't care for some of is Doc-isms and I think he gets a bit too excited about routine plays but I don't think he showed any anti-Ranger sentiment.

And for the most part I think he does a good job at keeping any Devil homerism in check when he does games on FSNY. Which is good because Chico has plenty of that.
Looks pretty accurate to me.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
alkurtz

Emerick is the best play-by-play guy, hands down.
If you look at the history of hockey announcing, the name that stands out and is a legend in Canada is Foster Hewitt.
As a kid growing up in the Bronx in the 1960s, if the atmosphere was just right, I could often pick up Hewitt (and Danny Galivan, another legend from Montreal) broadcasting from Toronto. Hewitt had a particular cadence to his announcing. When I listen to hockey announcers, I can definately pick out those influenced by Hewitt. Its unmistakeable. Emerick is one of those. I love Sam Rosen, his voice means Ranger hockey to me, but I can listen to Emerick all day.

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:13 AM
tpb209

I have no real problem with doc. I think some of the things he says are stupid and funny, but he calls a pretty good game though he does show a little bias against the rangers.

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha15 View Post
Anyone catch Doc say "And Ortmeyer gallops up the boards"
No, but I did hear "Michael Therrien".

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:22 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
No, but I did hear "Michael Therrien".
That was Therrien himself, who asked the PxP guys to change his pronunciation to Michael instead of Michel.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
WheresBarnaby

I bring this up every game he announces. The game was played AT THE GARDEN and the entire focus was on Sidney, Staal, and the Penguins, this, that and the other. I felt like I was watching the Pens broadcast of the game. It wasn't until late in the game after it was all Rangers and shots were 2x that of the Pens, that Doc started letting up. It's B.S. One of the biggest points of interest going into the game should have been the 7-0 shutout from the game before, and then he got it wrong saying it was 7-1. That was barely mentioned, and not until late 1st- early 2nd period. Doc is the biggest Brodeur brown nosing, homer in hockey.

Oh and I also don't like him...

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 03-21-2007 at 11:33 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:32 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I think JD was more of a homer than Sam. But JD was never a homer on National TV like Emerick is. It's one thing to be a homer on your own network, it's quite another to be a homer on National TV.
Exactly it he doesn't bother me as much if he's annoucing for the Devils (probably because I'd be watching the MSG feed) but when two teams you have no affiliation with the entire broadcast should be neutral. When JD would do playoff games which the Rangers were'nt playing in (imagine that) he would always comment on the game, and great plays, there was never any bias of any kind.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Doc is widely respected as the best play-by-play man in the NHL.
In fact Devs fans sometimes get annoyed by his un-biased play calling.

I think NYR fans are used to the MSG Pom Poms like Sam Rosen, JD, Trautwig and now Joey Micheletti, who would be fired if they criticized the Rangers.

Just ask Marv Albert.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Doc is great and his story telling is fantastic. Most of the time when the Devils play the Rangers I watch the Devils feed to hear the honesty and not the cover ups

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
Doc is widely respected as the best play-by-play man in the NHL.
In fact Devs fans sometimes get annoyed by his un-biased play calling.
I dont think thats disputable, but he carries the Devils chip-on-the-shoulder for the Rangers too. Maybe he was in awe of being at a home game where all the seats were full.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:57 AM
bayrider

At least you guys don't have Harry Neale and Bob Cole of the CBC calling your games. These 2 clowns find a way to 1. botch every players name and their stats. 2. They're a good 5 seconds behind the play, and even then, they call a shot over the net a save 3. On average, a Leafs reference every 2mins even if the Leafs aren't playing

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I dont think thats disputable, but he carries the Devils chip-on-the-shoulder for the Rangers too. Maybe he was in awe of being at a home game where all the seats were full.
Eh, I'd dispute it. Doc is alright...better than most, but he has his issues. Like I said, when he lets a game get away from him, it's comical. His overly verbose method of calling a game becomes a comedy of errors if he's not on top of his game.

But worse than that, his voice is just kind of annoying. Not so bad as to make him unlistenable, but it grates just a bit.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote