HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tootoo suspended 5 games....

Old
03-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Higgy4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
The f-up part of suspensions in the NHL is it's always about what the result of the actions are (where they injured?), not the action it self.
!

I keep hearing many people saying this, but its not that cut and dry. Ryan Holweg didnt miss a shift after being baseball batted by Chris Simon and Simon got the heftiest suspension in NHL history.

So it isnt ALWAYS about the result of the action.

I dont really have any reaction good or bad about this. Tootoo probably deserved a suspension and it did look pretty nasty on tape, whether many of you want to believe it or not...it looked HORRID. So, I think 5 is a good number.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yeah, they'll get Tootoo just like Tyler Wright did, oh wait Tootoo kicked the crap out of him the next game. Or maybe just like St. Louis was going to teach him, owned again.

The worst thing about Tootoo for opposing teams, he actually can fight and is tough as nails.
I like Tootoo. Find me another Red Wing fan who will admit that.

Old
03-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
The League penalized the result rather than the intent
Again, Ryan Holweg was uninjured by Chris Simon. Simon got the longest suspension in history. Someone being hurt is not always the reason for the suspension.

Old
03-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

I LOVE the 2-2 train.

BTW, to add insult to injury, I think Robi should get a 1 game suspension for being the "3rd man in".

I'd personally like to see Modano fight with 22. Mike can keep his stick and 22 can keep his gloves on. I'd still go with 22.

Last edited by Bobby Bottle Service: 03-20-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:15 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
I keep hearing many people saying this, but its not that cut and dry. Ryan Holweg didnt miss a shift after being baseball batted by Chris Simon and Simon got the heftiest suspension in NHL history.

So it isnt ALWAYS about the result of the action.

I dont really have any reaction good or bad about this. Tootoo probably deserved a suspension and it did look pretty nasty on tape, whether many of you want to believe it or not...it looked HORRID. So, I think 5 is a good number.
Actually, I think what was done to McSorley and Bertuzzi was worse. McSorley was suspended for the final 23 games of the regular season and the playoffs (Boston just happened to not make them). It basically ended his career, no?

And Bertuzzi was suspended indefinitely. He would have missed a lot more than 25 games had there been no lockout, in my opinion. Don't get fooled by the number attached to the suspension. That was done by the NHL so that they could make the claim you are stating.

What Simon did was a lot worse, in my opinion. What McSorley did was a mere lovetap in comparison. It was exacerbated by a flailing Brashear who hit his head flush on the ice. And Bertuzzi, while being malicious, had no intention of piledriving Moore's head into the ice. Simon's act was so much worse than either.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:27 AM
SmokeyClause

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....2c2c1b3c.html

Great quote from Robidas in there.

"If I go in and try to jump him, that's my fault," Robidas said. "But I'm just going in there to let him know, 'Hey, you don't hit Modano like that, and if you want to go, we'll go.' That's all I was doing. I wasn't going to jump him. But then, boom."

He was going to go in and scold Tootoo. That's rich. I can just see Robidas treating Tootoo like a dog who just soiled his carpet. No! No! Bad Tootoo!

I guarantee you there will be a chuckle in lockerrooms around the NHL when that quote gets read. Turns out, Robidas just wanted to talk things out, face to face, like mature adults.

After further questioning, Robidas revealed that he carries on all mature conversations while skating briskly with his forearms at his opponents face level.

Old
03-20-2007, 01:16 AM
xEx

Media's Fault??

A Blog from a Sportsnet anchor on the medias role in Tootoo's suspension.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/sean_..._high_and_dee/

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I can agree with a 5 game suspension. But why does Modano walk away without even a 2 minute penalty in the game? what he did warranted at least a game or two suspension!

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:31 AM
xEx

Campbell Comments

"Asked why Modano wasn't disciplined for the stick swing, Campbell told The Tennessean in an e-mail that the league doesn't comment on nonsuspensions."

Am I wrong or didn't Campbell give a full explanation on why Brashear didn't get a suspension for his hit on Witt.

"Asked why Modano wasn't disciplined for the stick swing, Campbell told The Tennessean in an e-mail that the league doesn't comment on nonsuspensions for All-stars."

Fixed it

Old
03-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Campbell is a joke. Can we really blame the on-ice officials to be so inconsistent when the man on top is the most inconsistent one of them all.

03-20-2007, 10:21 AM
jmctn2000

Robi was coming in high and fast prepared to take off Tootoo's head. Robi got caught blind. The only reason Tootoo is supended is because Robi was out cold and on his way to the hospital. My question is: Where is Modano's suspension for striking Tootoo across the back with his stick? Modano is a wuss and the NHL is a bunch of hyprocrites. This is hockey.

jmctn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Boston Bruno

Being a member of the non effected factions, I throw my support behind bill 22..

How in the world he was suspended because of that is just crap.

Modano is a star for dallas? All 26 points?

Modano WAS a star for Dallas.

As if Robidas was not going to rough up tootoo.. Next time Robidas thinks he has the drop on someone, he might just think twice.

5 games is caca.

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEx View Post
A Blog from a Sportsnet anchor on the medias role in Tootoo's suspension.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/sean_..._high_and_dee/
Good article.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:19 AM
PredDave

http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/500

Tootoo Suspension: Too Harsh?

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....2c2c1b3c.html

Great quote from Robidas in there.

"If I go in and try to jump him, that's my fault," Robidas said. "But I'm just going in there to let him know, 'Hey, you don't hit Modano like that, and if you want to go, we'll go.' That's all I was doing. I wasn't going to jump him. But then, boom."

He was going to go in and scold Tootoo. That's rich. I can just see Robidas treating Tootoo like a dog who just soiled his carpet. No! No! Bad Tootoo!

I guarantee you there will be a chuckle in lockerrooms around the NHL when that quote gets read. Turns out, Robidas just wanted to talk things out, face to face, like mature adults.

After further questioning, Robidas revealed that he carries on all mature conversations while skating briskly with his forearms at his opponents face level.
I dont know why this seems so strange to some of you. This kind of thing happens all the time. The days of just going in throwing punches went out a long, long time ago.

Think about all the little scrums that go on during hockey games. 99% of the time its a bunch of guys grabbing each others collars or face-washing each other, all the while yapping back and forth. Occasionally a fight will break out, but its not an immediate thing.

I don't think Robidas had the intention of cold clocking Tootoo at all. He went in to start a scrum....just like a million other times in this league. Again, I find it strange that some of you don't believe this.

And just to re-iterate, I actually like Tootoo. But Robidas didn't do anything that any other player in his position would have done.

Old
03-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/500

Tootoo Suspension: Too Harsh?

I loved Messier's expression on Versus last night when asked about the suspension....
He just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.....he doesn't need to say much.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Olaf

Quote:
I don't think Robidas had the intention of cold clocking Tootoo at all. He went in to start a scrum....just like a million other times in this league. Again, I find it strange that some of you don't believe this.

And just to re-iterate, I actually like Tootoo. But Robidas didn't do anything that any other player in his position would have done.
What Robidas did was fine, but if you are charging after a player with 104 PIM and a reputation (despite what others are saying) of being a rather willing combatant should you maybe expect something in return?
Tootoo said he just saw him charging and reacted.....maybe not the best way....but then again he has been suspended for that.

Modano did not react in the best way either....no penalty, no suspension, no comment from the NHL. I thought they wanted to clean up the stickwork...I thought those day's were gone too?

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
What Robidas did was fine, but if you are charging after a player with 104 PIM and a reputation (despite what others are saying) of being a rather willing combatant should you maybe expect something in return?
Tootoo said he just saw him charging and reacted.....maybe not the best way....but then again he has been suspended for that.

Modano did not react in the best way either....no penalty, no suspension, no comment from the NHL. I thought they wanted to clean up the stickwork...I thought those day's were gone too?

No, I agree for the most part. I just find it funny that everyone thinks Robidas was going in to fight. Most NHL scrums these days do not end up with punches thrown. Tootoo over-reacted with a vicious pre-emptive punch. I think he needed to realize his surroundings a bit more. Realize that its Robidas coming at him, not Steve Ott or Brendan Morrow or someone like that. There was really no reason for Tootoo to just turn around and fire a punch.

Thats really all I am saying. Over-reaction on Tootoo's part.

Old
03-20-2007, 01:25 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I dont know why this seems so strange to some of you. This kind of thing happens all the time. The days of just going in throwing punches went out a long, long time ago.

Think about all the little scrums that go on during hockey games. 99% of the time its a bunch of guys grabbing each others collars or face-washing each other, all the while yapping back and forth. Occasionally a fight will break out, but its not an immediate thing.

Robidas didn't say there would be a scrum. He didn't say he was going in to grab Tootoo's collar or facewash him. He said he just wanted to tell him his actions were unacceptable.

Of course he wanted to start a scrum. He wanted to start some illegal activity. Yet he gets painted around here as if he's a Lady Byng candidate. He was going to punish Tootoo for Jordin's legal activity. So Jordin punished Robidas before he could commit his illegal activity. Now, he did it harshly and received a hefty suspesion for it. But people are too quick to discount Robidas' role in this.

Old
03-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
No, I agree for the most part. I just find it funny that everyone thinks Robidas was going in to fight. Most NHL scrums these days do not end up with punches thrown. Tootoo over-reacted with a vicious pre-emptive punch. I think he needed to realize his surroundings a bit more. Realize that its Robidas coming at him, not Steve Ott or Brendan Morrow or someone like that. There was really no reason for Tootoo to just turn around and fire a punch.

Thats really all I am saying. Over-reaction on Tootoo's part.
To be fair, when did he have time to exactly, "realize" this part....???

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
xEx

Just wanna talk!!!!

Semi blog/Sportsnet talk

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hocke...o_talk_it_out/

Old
03-20-2007, 05:15 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Coming from a guy who thought Neil should have gotten about 5 games, Janssen the rest of the season, and Simon a lifetime ban...I don't think Tootoo should have gotten suspended. It was a clean hit on Modano and Robidas came over and should have been expecting one of the league's top agitators to put up a fight.

I doubt he meant to injure Robidas, or even to place the punch like that...but either way I don't agree with the suspension.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Being a member of the non effected factions, I throw my support behind bill 22..

How in the world he was suspended because of that is just crap.

Modano is a star for dallas? All 26 points?

Modano WAS a star for Dallas.

As if Robidas was not going to rough up tootoo.. Next time Robidas thinks he has the drop on someone, he might just think twice.

5 games is caca.

Oh man....oh man, that entire post.

Just gold.

Yep, that Modano, what a washed up bum, he's clearly a terrible player.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
To be fair, when did he have time to exactly, "realize" this part....???
Thats kind of my point throughout. Nobody on here has a clue what Robidas "intentions" were. He never even got to the point of touching Tootoo. Everybody is speculating what Robidas "was going to do". The fact is that in a split second, Tootoo decided to throw a punch. There is no speculation about that.

Thats why I think it was just a severe over-reaction. I understand everything happens very quickly, but on most cases punches do not get thrown in situations like these. Its always a bunch of dancing around yapping. I want to know what made Tootoo immediately turn around and fire a punch?

Thats all. Again, I like Tootoo...I really do. But I think he was in the wrong here.

Old
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
I LOVE the 2-2 train.

I'd personally like to see Modano fight with 22. Mike can keep his stick and 22 can keep his gloves on. I'd still go with 22.
Tootoo is a marginal player with a limited skill set why would Modano even waste his time?

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote