GOPHER'S fan opinion wanted

Old
03-16-2007, 02:15 PM
cedouimet

vCash: 500
GOPHER'S fan opinion wanted

Hey all,
I'm coming from habs french forum.

We we're talkng about DAVID FISCHER, our latest 1st round pick.
We were wondering what kind of prospect he was, and what may be his potential.

We saw he was like 3 pts in 20games....is that good for your team?
Is he developping ?

Well what kind of player is he/can we expect.

thank you!

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 04:12 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

He's our #5 guy, not so much by talent but just the upperclassmen ahead of him. So he doesn't see much PP time (unless in blowouts) and some PK time.

He certainly looks more comfortable now than he did at the beginning, you could tell the pace of play was a little quicker than expected.

I think he'll be a solid top 4 guy, probably won't throw up a ton of points but will be very solid in both ends. He skates very well, uses his stick well, and adding muscle mass will happen over the course of his development. I think 4 years at the U would be best for him.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
He's our #5 guy, not so much by talent but just the upperclassmen ahead of him. So he doesn't see much PP time (unless in blowouts) and some PK time.

He certainly looks more comfortable now than he did at the beginning, you could tell the pace of play was a little quicker than expected.

I think he'll be a solid top 4 guy, probably won't throw up a ton of points but will be very solid in both ends. He skates very well, uses his stick well, and adding muscle mass will happen over the course of his development. I think 4 years at the U would be best for him.
What he said.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:05 AM
ceber

Very tough to look at a freshman season and make a prediction. WCHA can be a real challenge for a young kid.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Pepsi12pac

he was grinding away last night in our win over wisconsin

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 12:38 PM
The Big E

I've posted a number of times on the Hab's board, so you might want to just search back there if you'd like to read some more.

In the win over both WI and ND in the WCHA Final Five, David Fischer played really well. Especially against NoDak where his speed and quick-thinking enabled him to avoid getting pounded by the aggressive NoDak forecheck while getting the puck out of the zone or making the nice outlet pass.

The Goofers are not relying on him for offensive production. There are Erik Johnson (all-world), Mike Vanelli (experienced senior), Alex Goligoski (Hoby Baker candidate) and David Peltier in front of him and they've been producing this year. Since David is an 18 yr old frosh, the fact that he's adapted so well is quite an accomplishment in itself. He's got a good all-around game which you'll all be able to see in the NCAAs on ESPN.

You Hab fans should be happy to have him, he's a good player with BAGS of potential.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Count of DannyKristo

How do you see his role expanding next year? With a couple of those D likely leaving, I guess that'd mean a boost up the depth chart for Fischer to maybe the #3 defenseman? That would mean more ice time and maybe a decent amount of PP time. Thanks for your help Gopher fans.

Count of DannyKristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:40 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
How do you see his role expanding next year? With a couple of those D likely leaving, I guess that'd mean a boost up the depth chart for Fischer to maybe the #3 defenseman? That would mean more ice time and maybe a decent amount of PP time. Thanks for your help Gopher fans.
Yep. Fischer will probably be paired with Peltier in the top pairing. Lotsa PP time and PK time. His goals and assists will shoot up.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Goldy

Fischer could have used a year in the USHL before playing in college. His biggest problem right now is his lack of strength - he doesn't win many battles in the corners. He is a good skater, and his passing is okay, but if he really wants to contribute next year, he needs to add 25 pounds of muscle and then play a more physical style.

At this point, it looks like he may have been a reach with 20th? overall pick, but he could still develop into a top 4 NHL defenseman.

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote