HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PP ?, are we getting done?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2004, 01:38 PM
punchy1

vCash: 500
PP ?, are we getting done?

last night, our lads got *1* pp chance (much to the dissmay of AM and the bench) to our opponents 6. The night before, the *exact* same numbers against the Wild.
The time we faced the Wild prior it were a *9* to 1 discrepency. It seems that each time we face certain teams we get done in by the refs. There are four refs in particular who seem to officiate these game. AM has complained about one of them as have many other teams but, I have to wonder, especially after watching last nights game where the bj's were allowed to do things to our lads that we were in fact given penalties for, if there isn't something wrong with the officiating.

I am not one to whine about the refs. They are part of the game you have to deal with. This however, sure seems to stink foul a bit. That is 21 pk vs 3 pp against these three teams. Of course, with our stars out the lads will over extend themselves but, this is a bit ludicrous to me. Anyone have a theory to float?

Old
02-12-2004, 01:57 PM
willie

If you take a small section of the season there is always going to be stretches where you are penalized a lot more than other teams. (and, of course, the reverse is true as well but you never see threads when your team is on the recieving end of extended PP time )

Generally speaking, the season will balance itself out. And, looking at our stats, that theory holds true for LA. We have been given 245 PP opportunities and have been short handed 250 times which is pretty much 50/50. Nothing to be concerned about.

Old
02-12-2004, 02:14 PM
punchy1

Actually, have a look at our season. If you go to ESPN to our team page you can see that we have yet this season to have the same happen in our favour. I were thinking along the same lines as you until I read that bit about Andy complaining to league about the refs awhile ago. I started watching closer and of late, we are truly getting out called. I watch loads of other teams play (sad right) and while some play with a very physical style and get loads of penalties as a result. I don't see the same for us.

Have a look.

Old
02-12-2004, 02:34 PM
willie

I did look.

And the facts show LA has had:
245 PP opportunities
250 SH situations

That is dead even. Okay, so maybe LA hasn't had a drastic streak (though I do know that there have been several games where LA did have a decided advantage in PP opportunities) but it doesn't change the fact that LA is still recieving equal PP oppurtunities in the grand scheme of the season.

Power play opportunities are power play opportunities whether you get 2 extra chances a game 3 games in a row or are on the wrong side of a game where the other team gets 6 extra chances. (yes, those games do suck but they are few and far between and hardly a recurring theme)

Ultimately, citing a few rough stretches with officiating here and there is hardly anything to get worried about when, overall, the Kings are currently "even steven" with regards to penalties.

Old
02-13-2004, 10:12 AM
punchy1

True, but I weren't talking about the season in general anywhere in my post. I were reffering to specific situations with certain teams and certain refs. I were also off to the point that we seem to at times truly get bent over for stretches. I won't debate with you (and wouldn't) that in the end things end up the same or close to it.Of course I believe that the league will ensure that other refs make it all even or close to it by the end.

I will contest that there are a couple of refs that call loads more penalties against us then they do our opponents. Even Andy Murray has commented on it.

I am commenting on those games where our opponents end up with massive lopsided discrepencies in PP to us. We have had that happen *one* time this season when it has been done to us several. That is what I were asking you to have a look at. Of course, in the end, the other refs will cover and try to even it out. Read in my first post where I said " the refs are just part of the game". That means that I wouldn't normally even bring this up. The typicl situation is what happens for all. What you are pointing out is what happens to everyone. What I am saying is that we are singled out by a couple of refs and have been on the recieving end of some seriously questionable games where our opponents would see 9-1 or back to back 6-1 pp situations.

Have a look at our last four games, then take a look at our opponents last four games, I am merely pointing out that at times, there have been some questionable situations happening and posing the question that it could be possible that there might be trouble with a couple of Refs. Like I said, Andy even mentioned it and while at the time I didn't buy in, I am starting to see things his way on some of it.

We are talking about two different situations mate.

Old
02-13-2004, 04:26 PM
willie

Quote:
I won't debate with you (and wouldn't) that in the end things end up the same or close to it.
Then, honestly, who cares? If, in the end, things are even you really have nothing to complain about. "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

Quote:
We have had that happen *one* time this season
Three times. This season, the Kings have been involved in 8 games with a 5+ penalty discrepancy. (anything less is nothing to worry about) 3 have gone for the Kings, 5 have gone against them. There is nothing wrong with that number. Here they are:

For Los Angelas
vs Carolina -- 8-2 -- Kimmerly, Peel
vs Boston -- 12-6 -- Joannete, Warren
vs Pittsburg -- 7-1 -- Jackson, Speda

Against Los Angelas
vs Columbus -- 6-1 -- O'Hallaran, Walsh
vs Columbus -- 6-1 -- Kimmerly, Fraser
vs Phoenix -- 9-2 -- Meier, Kimmerly
vs Dallas -- 7-2 -- Furlatt, LaRue
vs Nashville - 6-1 -- Peel, Sutherland

There is 1 repeat ref, Kimmerly, but I hardly think he has anything against LA given that he reffed one of LA's advantage games and he has also reffed the game against Phoenix where the Kings were full marks for their penalties. The only repeat team was Columbus but, with 4 different refs, I see little cause for alarm.

Quote:
Have a look at our last four games,
vs Columbus 1-6, O’Halloran, Walsh
vs Minnesota 3-6, Angus, Walkom
vs Calgary 1-4, Fraser, Sharrers
vs Edmonton 4-5, Pollock, Sharrers

There is just 1 repeat ref, Sharrers, who reffed in two well called games. Again, whats your point?

Honestly, I don't buy it. Complaining about refs is an exercise in futility because:

a) There is usually little merit to the argument.
b) Coincidences are generally just that. The whole notion that certain refs are trying to put the screws to LA (or any one particular team) is rather comical.
c) Everything generally balances out in the end.

Old
02-13-2004, 07:52 PM
punchy1

The ends justify the means is you own way of seeing it. You are making a much bigger deal of my *question* then I were by my opinion mate. I was posing a possible position looking for a response. Your response is a position poking at my question. In the end Bugger it all. If it is such a daft idea then I am in good company. Andy has commented on it and so has a couple of others.

Remember, my point was about a couple of situations, you are the one saying in the end its all the same. In this case, both statements are true mate. Of course it balances out in the end. Like I said though, that isn't what I were contesting. I were merely questioning rather or not it is possible that Andy were right and that some refs under some situations could be gunning for us. Twice against two teams we have recieved one to six or better PP chances. You have also missed two other games this season were there were repeat officials (one the time that had Andy in fits) where the difference were grand as well.

Done with it though mate, you are at the position of the ends justifying the means and I am questioning if it is possible that once in awhile that something fishy might happen. Your responses do nothing to address my question but only strengthen my belief in that if it is happening it isn't often or an abomination as I said.

Cheers though, keeping your pov in my head mate.

Ta da.

Closed Thread