HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lundqvist RFA 08

Old
03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
IIRC, the cap is going up to 47-49M this offseason. If it went up to 49M, that'd be great. We could sign Lundqvist long term and add a top flight center withouth much thought.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
eco's bones

Have to think we are talking at least 5 million per.
1) arguably our best player
2) plays the most critical team position

Buffalo's Miller to me is not an exactly a fair comparison in these respects--The Sabres are notorious for lowballing everyone. The playoff issue may at this point in time have some bearing however there is no doubt that Lundqvist is playing his best right now when the team has needed him most. I don't see him as anything but a clutch player. No doubt his agent is going to point to an Olympic gold medal as proof of that. This is a player that to me you lock up and try to lock up for 4 years minimum. You can build a team around him. As for Montoya on the horizon--you give him every opportunity you can also but it's best to deal with him when he's proven himself in the NHL and when it's time to deal with him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Why would the Rangers want to sign him? He cant win in big games, has no playoff win and the fact remains that 30 will never be 35.

I dont think he is going to test the market much if at all personally. He seems to like being in NYC and on the Rangers, and god knows we like him being here. I say give him 15 years!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Lundqvist should really hit his prime in 5-7 years
Yeah, goalies normally reach their prime around 31-32, see no reason for why Lundqvist would be any diffrent. The exceptions are thoose who aren't really the real deal, or stops working, or are victims of changes in the game.

So I defenitly expect Lundqvist to be our starter for atleast around 10 years.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Have to think we are talking at least 5 million per.
1) arguably our best player
2) plays the most critical team position

Buffalo's Miller to me is not an exactly a fair comparison in these respects--The Sabres are notorious for lowballing everyone. The playoff issue may at this point in time have some bearing however there is no doubt that Lundqvist is playing his best right now when the team has needed him most. I don't see him as anything but a clutch player. No doubt his agent is going to point to an Olympic gold medal as proof of that. This is a player that to me you lock up and try to lock up for 4 years minimum. You can build a team around him. As for Montoya on the horizon--you give him every opportunity you can also but it's best to deal with him when he's proven himself in the NHL and when it's time to deal with him.
i think Miller is a great comparison.. they are both comparable goaltenders in age/performance/experience

even if the sabres low balled him, they set a range where we can base our offer on

also, if his agent tries to pull that *****, the rangers will be sure to remind him of how none of his accomplishments outside the NHL will factor into him receiving a contract to continue playing in this league

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Geogaddi

With Montoya in the Wings, do the Rangers take the Gamble of Signing him long term? Monty has the Potential to be just as good, if not better then Henke. I mean I dont see any downfall to Henrik, but these are things to think about.

Who knows it could turn out the way Colorado is looking with a 5.5 million dollar back-up and the Young gun as the Starter.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
i think Miller is a great comparison.. they are both comparable goaltenders in age/performance/experience

even if the sabres low balled him, they set a range where we can base our offer on

also, if his agent tries to pull that *****, the rangers will be sure to remind him of how none of his accomplishments outside the NHL will factor into him receiving a contract to continue playing in this league
Buffalo did not low ball Ryan Miller.Darcy Regier didn't put a gun to Miller's head to sign the contract

$3 years/$8 million

06-07-$2 million
07-08-$2.5 million
08-09-$3.5 million

That is Miller's contract.Miller took Buffalo to game 7 of Cup semi's and Miller has matched Lundqvist's regular numbers the last two regular seasons(05-06) and (06-07)

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I would sign him for 2 years, actually. Wouldn't that bring him to the season before UFA eligibility? He'd have 4 years of play and I thought that UFA eligibility was 5 years or so.
Starting in 2008-09 and for the duration of the agreement,UFA is 27 years old with 4 years accrued service or a player with seven accrued seasons.Lundqvist will 27 years old with 4 years accrued service by July 1,2009

The seven accrued seasons comes into play for the player who started playing at 18 which by the age of 25,that player is an UFA-Sidney Crosby

Old
03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
eco's bones

Personally there is not a goalie in the league I would take over Henrik and one reason for that is I don't think he has quite reached his peak. In any case this is not Buffalo or even New Jersey--this is New York and you do right by your best player and for that matter getting him to sign for a longer term contract means they are going to have to pony up more dough. Consider also the terms under which Henrik first came here with Kevin Weekes signed for 2 mil for each of two years not necessarily to provide playoff contention goaltending but to simply give the team respectable netminding for a period of time necessary for the team to reorganize. Some people have had no problem here watching Weekes more or less collect all that money for sitting on the bench while it was Henrik's goaltending that turned the team around.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
The max for next season will be around $9.5-10 mizil with the cap being around $47-50 mil. I think $6-6.5 MM annually is fair of him to demand.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Richter35

5 years $20 million. you heard it here first.

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 04:39 PM
broadwayblue

I'd say 4 years 18 million.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
With Montoya in the Wings, do the Rangers take the Gamble of Signing him long term? Monty has the Potential to be just as good, if not better then Henke. I mean I dont see any downfall to Henrik, but these are things to think about.

Who knows it could turn out the way Colorado is looking with a 5.5 million dollar back-up and the Young gun as the Starter.
The reason that Colorado is stuck with a $5.5m back-up is because Theodore hasn't performed up to his contract in years. If Lundqvist plays at a high-level and has a big contract, but Montoya is better, they'll be takers for Lundqvist.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
5 years - 22.5 million
Or trade him to Philly for the next 5 years # 1-3 draftpix?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
The reason that Colorado is stuck with a $5.5m back-up is because Theodore hasn't performed up to his contract in years. If Lundqvist plays at a high-level and has a big contract, but Montoya is better, they'll be takers for Lundqvist.
Montoya has not played one NHL game yet
He has a lot to prove - though he may someday amount to a starter in the NHL

Last year Henrik was a Vezina candidate
This year (after a lousy sophomore slump) - he has been stellar since Christmas carrying the team alone at times. Best stats in the league since then. If they make the playoffs - it is basically a one man reason.
And he has an Olympic gold medal already

There really is nothing more to say on this subject imo

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Montoya has not played one NHL game yet
He has a lot to prove - though he may someday amount to a starter in the NHL

Last year Henrik was a Vezina candidate
This year (after a lousy sophomore slump) - he has been stellar since Christmas carrying the team alone at times. Best stats in the league since then. If they make the playoffs - it is basically a one man reason.
And he has an Olympic gold medal already

There really is nothing more to say on this subject imo
Vanbiesbrouck accomplished a lot before Richter came onto the scene, but that's besides the point. The point is if we give Lundqvist a long-term contract now, and Montoya wins the goalie battle in the future by outplaying Lundqvist (rather than Lundqvist crashing and burning), then we can find someone who would be willing to trade for Lundqvist.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:00 PM
shoothepuck

This season and next will have a big say in his terms, but a 4 year contract should be the minimum

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
No I know that, I was just saying what if henke loses his touch for some reason, and Monty steals his spot. In the cap era, the Rangers really have to think about this. I was just stating Jose as an example. Even though the Avs did trade for him AFTER the contract.

I myself would give him another 2 year contract. That way for any reason he isn't performing up to his current ways, then we can possibly rely on Montoya to take over. This allows us to not be locked down to a Long contract. Again, its probably me just being a Pessimist.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:11 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

oh damn already

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
No I know that, I was just saying what if henke loses his touch for some reason, and Monty steals his spot. In the cap era, the Rangers really have to think about this. I was just stating Jose as an example. Even though the Avs did trade for him AFTER the contract.

I myself would give him another 2 year contract. That way for any reason he isn't performing up to his current ways, then we can possibly rely on Montoya to take over. This allows us to not be locked down to a Long contract. Again, its probably me just being a Pessimist.
2 years @ 5mill per with a 3rd year option.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:29 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
2 years @ 5mill per with a 3rd year option.
Options either way are not allowed in the new contracts.

Rangers shsould go after his twin brother in Dallas. Good 2 way player for the 3rd line with a bit of edge to his game. Make Hank happy.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 04:29 AM
reaper

I think he should earn a bit more than Miller. Hank is currently better and he will continue to be so on a worse team. He was the MVP of SEL, has an olympic gold, finalist for Vezina voting, probably should have a Calder any other year than last year. Anything under 4 mil per year would be a steal. How much is Jagr making 6-7 mil? Hank is doing more for the team than Jagr so 4-5 mil minimum per season.

reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 05:00 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

4 years/$14 million/$3.5 million cap

The Rangers are more generous on the front end of the contract and they get a discount at the back end.The Rangers buyout the first two seasons of UFA

$3 million
$3 million
$4 million
$4 million

Calgary gave Miikka Kiprusoff 3 years/$10 million after taking them to game 7 of the Cup final

$2.9 million
$3.5 million
$3.6 million